• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
From the looks of it, Eivor in AC Valhalla will basically be the same regardless of gender.

Shame cause Cassandra in Odyssey showed that the focus on one gender resulted in a better written character. You could definitely tell the writers meant for her to be the main character.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
it's 2020. we live in a post-horizon world and gaming dudebros still think wimmin don't sell?? fucking lmao

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Grab a chair because this might come as a shock but Cyberpunk still leaning into that gross shit (second tweet).
Finalists for their official cosplay competition.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Grab a chair because this might come as a shock but Cyberpunk still leaning into that gross shit (second tweet).

They know that there was criticism from trans people over that image cus I remember reading an article with one of their staff responding to the issue and they highlight a cosplayer who draws even more attention to the oversexualised part of the poster??? Like c'mon!

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
These are from the upcoming Romancelvania: BATchelor's Curse.

vlc-2020-10-14-15-04-36-637.png

vlc-2020-10-14-15-04-53-004.png

vlc-2020-10-14-15-05-05-115.png

vlc-2020-10-14-15-05-40-054.png

If it wasn't for the other three designs shown I might think the Pumpkin one was just a dumb in game joke of sorts. Eg the farmer there is a really lonely, horny, bored man and that's why he made it, then it came alive and he ran away or something along those lines.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
it's 2020. we live in a post-horizon world and gaming dudebros still think wimmin don't sell?? fucking lmao
This game was approved by Hascoët, so an only female lead was imposible. Due to development time for theses games (3 to 4 years), he probably green-lighted the two next AC games. So probably no female lead for Assassin's Creed until maybe 2023, if they finally agree to have a female only lead.

edit: Oh for fuck sake, a glowing dick?! And it won?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If Ubi actually leaned hard into the RPG aspects of Assassin's Creed then I could maaaybe see the argument for "choice" but at best in Odyssey it's just flavor dialogue, it's not even on par with Fallout 4 in terms of choices mattering, let alone an Obsidian RPG.

Either way doesn't change the fact they could stick the woman on the box but they don't.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Kyuuji i hate to put the onus of calling out cdpr's transphobia on you but i'm tme so i don't want to make the thread and talk over you and other tma trans ppl on here?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Kyuuji i hate to put the onus of calling out cdpr's transphobia on you but i'm tme so i don't want to make the thread and talk over you and other tma trans ppl on here?
Definitely never feel like you'd be talking over me, you help afford us all a space to talk about these things ❤ I'll probably rustle one up tomorrow and try to bring more of the past context in under it too. Tonight has all of the fans excited about the new vroom vroom trailer anyway.

Damn, looks good. She kinda reminds me of Trish from DMC with the hair style, that vest, the choker, and black and gold color scheme. Only much improved.
Oh, the irony that comes with Trish.
Dante isn't so cheap, that he'd be blinded by a sexy femme fatal. We need to grab him by his feels, so Mundus makes her look like his mom!
...still needs to be damn hot, though. Y'know?

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Highlighting a cosplayer of a previously heavily criticised image, complete with a neon glowing dick. They really don't give a shit.

Guess it doesn't matter because Porsche goes vroom vroom.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That tweet from Yugoro highlights the big contrast between the game's supposed message and how they're treating it.

Supposed message: this is an ugly world, you're supposed to hate it.

CDPR/cosplayers: look at this cool and funny costume!

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when people said the guy behind the account was fired and that it is fine now?

What a load of bullshit. The fact is, it seems to be CDPR as a whole who are the issue.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Remember when people said the guy behind the account was fired and that it is fine now?

What a load of bullshit. The fact is, it seems to be CDPR as a whole who are the issue.
People keep saying that but the Cyberpunk one who made the transphobic tweet was never fired, it was the GoG one who turned out to be a gamergater who was fired, they were two different people.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People keep saying that but the Cyberpunk one who made the transphobic tweet was never fired, it was the GoG one who turned out to be a gamergater who was fired, they were two different people.
I see. I was under the impression it was the same PR person behind the two. Thanks for the correction.
Regardless, it should be clear now that CDPR are not the type of company to care.

What a shame. A true Cyber Punk game that actually had the themes would have been great. This is just a game masquerading as a CP game.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
transphobia... braindead "both sides" shit masquerading as satire... juvenile writing... this really is gta: night city huh

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The thread about this, like many cyberpunk threads, will be a really good thread for fleshing out our blocklists if nothing else.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the marketing for Ass Creed Valhalla, I was watching previews of Immortals Fenyx Rising, that other other Ubisoft open world game, I saw that you can make Fenyx any gender, skin color, etc. you want them to be. But for previews and trailers, Fenyx is shown as a tan skinned woman. So that's a positive compared to the marketing for the Odyssey and Valhalla. It's just unfortunate that it appears to me that Ubisoft thinks this is the least important of their three open world games. It's being released in December after Valhalla and Watch Dogs. December is usually an odd time to release a AAA game so it kinda feels like they are just sending it out to die and maybe that's why they are seemingly fine with having a woman being a face of the game.

Which is unfortunate because it looks the most interesting to me out of the three games.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
i'm going to make a megathread for dunking on it and it's gonna be hell 🙏🙏🙏
I'd love to see it actually be a productive thread, but I can already see the "OMG! I love this game" and "I don't see the big deal" posts.
Regarding the marketing for Ass Creed Valhalla, I was watching previews of Immortals Fenyx Rising, that other other Ubisoft open world game, I saw that you can make Fenyx any gender, skin color, etc. you want them to be. But for previews and trailers, Fenyx is shown as a tan skinned woman. So that's a positive compared to the marketing for the Odyssey and Valhalla. It's just unfortunate that it appears to me that Ubisoft thinks this is the least important of their three open world games. It's being released in December after Valhalla and Watch Dogs. December is usually an odd time to release a AAA game so it kinda feels like they are just sending it out to die and maybe that's why they are seemingly fine with having a woman being a face of the game.

Which is unfortunate because it looks the most interesting to me out of the three games.
I could see it. New IP and we already know their stance on marketing women heavily or even having the guts to officially name them the canon character. Try and move past the controversy by putting a woman in a leading role on a game that probably won't hurt them to much if it flops. Can only hope it doesn't and makes the company change their mind.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds of One Piece where trans people are presented as masculine men in dresses.

In this case it's "woman with a dick" so it's fetishized instead of played for laughs.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Reminds of One Piece where trans people are presented as masculine men in dresses.

In this case it's "woman with a dick" so it's fetishized instead of played for laughs.
I absolutely loathe and detest that portrayal of trans women, Gran Blue does it too for a wrestler and that legit was one of the reason why I never bought gran blue Fantasy versus, it's sooo offensive I can't believe how many companies/people continue to do it and think it's funny and/or acceptable

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loathe and detest that portrayal of trans women, Gran Blue does it too for a wrestler and that legit was one of the reason why I never bought gran blue Fantasy versus, it's sooo offensive I can't believe how many companies/people continue to do it and think it's funny and/or acceptable
Maybe its because i'm a cis het male but I didnt see anything played for laughs when it came to Ladiva in GBF. But since i'm not transgender maybe I shouldn't say anything on that matter since i've seen pros and cons regarding that subject matter. One piece otoh always plays it for laughs and i 100% agree with that and its trash for doing so.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Go to a local beach. Beautiful women do exist in the real world.

i would like to point out that this troll seems to know that there is an inner logic to WHEN sexy clothing and showing body parts is a normal occurence in the real world, which implies they understand that there are places where this makes zero sense.

Oct 28, 2017
i would like to point out that this troll seems to know that there is an inner logic to WHEN sexy clothing and showing body parts is a normal occurence in the real world, which implies they understand that there are places where this makes zero sense.
That's an excellent point! Glad you made it, there's some good food for thought. (As an aside, they also displayed a stunning lack of knowledge of general geography. Yes, surely everyone has a "local beach".)

Looking forward to that Cyberpunk 2077 topic. I will probably end up muting all other threads about it. Way too many people are feeding into the hype monster with this game, which kind of makes me sad. Even if (especially if) you love a piece of media, it is very important to keep your critical senses engaged while enjoying it. People who ride the hype train seem to completely shut down any criticism, internally or externally.

The Japanese cross dressing trope has been discussed here recently as well. Especially when played for laughs, I find it extremely depressing and harmful. 20 years ago, I was just glad for any diversity at all, but it is just sad that this is as far as most media (globally) has come. On the other hand, now we have things like Stars Align, which handle the topic of nonbinary characters with much more sensitivity. I hope for more shows and games with characters like that in the near future.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Definitely never feel like you'd be talking over me, you help afford us all a space to talk about these things ❤ I'll probably rustle one up tomorrow and try to bring more of the past context in under it too. Tonight has all of the fans excited about the new vroom vroom trailer anyway.
Nice, I think a summary of all the CDPR fuckery is really needed at this point.
i'm going to make a megathread for dunking on it and it's gonna be hell 🙏🙏🙏
That's for the game content itself, after it comes out, right? I look forward to it. *

* Except handling the reports it'll generate, lmao

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see it actually be a productive thread, but I can already see the "OMG! I love this game" and "I don't see the big deal" posts.

I could see it. New IP and we already know their stance on marketing women heavily or even having the guts to officially name them the canon character. Try and move past the controversy by putting a woman in a leading role on a game that probably won't hurt them to much if it flops. Can only hope it doesn't and makes the company change their mind.

It's very strange to me. Based on the previews, people seemed to really like it. And it's being developed by the Assassin's Creed Odyssey team and I know a lot of people have a lot to say about that game, but it sold and reviewed well. It seems like a winner and I would have thought Ubisoft would be pushing it more.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The best excuse people say on repeat is the same "it's meant to be a fucked up dystopian world". Over and over and over again.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The best excuse people say on repeat is the same "it's meant to be a fucked up dystopian world". Over and over and over again.

I didn't realise the fucked up dystopian world applied to their twitter account as well. I guess we live in a fucked up dystopian world right now!

I seriously don't know how people can look at these topics and not get completely tired looking at the replies.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh, someone rendered Abby in a program with a Kratos' costume fit for her. It shows off a lot of skin, but it doesn't feel super sexualized. And the muscles are accurate to the in-game model, I think.

I'm curious what you guys think. If ND were to somehow add this to the game an optional costume, would it be considered sexualization of Abby or no? Or, alternatively, is it sexy, but not sexually objectifying? Or alternatively, is it not sexual at all and just an unsexualized barbarian style cosplay?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I don't see sexualization here (mayyyybe if they had a Joel cosplay that was fully clothed right next to her, then it'd be kinda suspicious :P).

There's nothing actually sexual about the pose or presentation or outfit, the clothes make sense (no metal bikini nonsense). Showing some skin doesn't mean sexualization.

She looks like a pure badass IMO. It's actually the kind of "scantily clad female barbarian" done right. Like the image on the right, compared to the left:
222f9da0371e2db9692637f694da399d.png

edit: if anything, this is a perfect example of why Kratos isn't sexualized.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Nice, I think a summary of all the CDPR fuckery is really needed at this point.

That's for the game content itself, after it comes out, right? I look forward to it. *

* Except handling the reports it'll generate, lmao
Appreciate it and the watching of the thread once it's up. Hope the PvP goes well ⚔

Hresvelg

Feb 22, 2020
I don't see sexualization here (mayyyybe if they had a Joel cosplay that was fully clothed right next to her, then it'd be kinda suspicious :P).

There's nothing actually sexual about the pose or presentation or outfit, the clothes make sense (no metal bikini nonsense). Showing some skin doesn't mean sexualization.

She looks like a pure badass IMO. It's actually the kind of "scantily clad female barbarian" done right. Like the image on the right, compared to the left:
222f9da0371e2db9692637f694da399d.png

edit: if anything, this is a perfect example of why Kratos isn't sexualized.
Do you have a source for those pics? I absolutely love the one on the right, I think that's the character design of my dreams lol Also works as a great visual argument against the whole "but Kratos is sexualized too!" fallacy.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Do you have a source for those pics? I absolutely love the one on the right, I think that's the character design of my dreams lol Also works as a great visual argument against the whole "but Kratos is sexualized too!" fallacy.
Here you go!
bikiniarmorbattledamage.tumblr.com

Bikini Armor Battle Damage

partsal submitted Warriors? by ~marinka18 I thought I’d share this to highlight the main difference, in my opinion, between how a half-nude warrior woman is typically portrayed and how she would be if...

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That thread is a shitshow now. Sub-100 post Trolls crawling out of the woodwork. Good way to cleanse this place of bigotry.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
people in this thread saying "i thought era was a safe space???" like yeah... for Gamers(TM). not for women, or poc, or lgbt people, or disabled people, or mentally ill people