• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
And she's one of my fave characters in the series as well.
Yeah. She was really cool in 9 (Despite the visual design). I liked playing her a lot. Nice to see her return.

Y'know, I recently saw a panel from a manga once that looked like a better-executed version of Mileena's lip thing -- the girl from Shigahime.

Someone in the Mileena thread linked this concept art from MKX
justin-murray-mortal-kombat-x-mkx-concept-art-jm-mileena-mouth-anatomy.jpg

Which is a lot better than the final in game model.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
All the KOSMOS posts in that character design improvement thread. How is she in anyway considered a good design? Why do people want her in smash?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
All the KOSMOS posts in that character design improvement thread. How is she in anyway considered a good design? Why do people want her in smash?

There were a number of posts in that thread that misunderstood "character redesign" for "improved graphical quality." Those posts crossed the spectrum of good and bad character designs, but it is reflective of the general idea that some people were thinking that better graphics meant a better design.

Hence the terrible downgraded Cortana design getting posted, and stuff like Kosmos getting posted who definitely started bad and got worse.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Yeah. She was really cool in 9 (Despite the visual design). I liked playing her a lot. Nice to see her return.

Someone in the Mileena thread linked this concept art from MKX
justin-murray-mortal-kombat-x-mkx-concept-art-jm-mileena-mouth-anatomy.jpg

Which is a lot better than the final in game model.
I also liked the lips because it gave her a unique hybrid feel instead just going "copy Baraka's mouth." Fine for the original idea given costume limitations and such. But MKX seemed like a fleshing out of the concept of her being a DNA hybrid instead of just being Kitana with Baraka mouth.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Which thread?

As to your question, I've never played a Saga game, but I've always kinda liked her aesthetic. Really really stupid and aggravating "chest knife" aside. I think it's that color palette. That mixed with the whole badass battle android concept. It's a sort of guilty pleasure for me.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I think it came out during a lot of that ubisoft terrible shit recently, that the development team wanted the game to have only Kassandra as the protagonist and they were forced to add in a male choice rather than have a woman be the protagonist.

Edit: Odyssey though, is also the game that lets you play Kassandra as whatever sexuality you want in the main game, and then came out with DLC that forced her canonically into a straight relationship.
I just got to that bit a couple of days ago and oh buy.

I was disgusted and angered by this and that was knowing it was coming. I deleted the game, hid the trophies Fuck Ubisoft. Not only that but even if you're playing Kassandra as heterosexual (I wasn't) the options are still romance a boring character or do it for "breeding". It's tone deaf bullshit and I found it all offensive. I can only imagine how women and the LGBTQ community feels.

Kassandra's personality and great voice acting were the games only saving grace as the rest was just soulless by the numbers Ubidoft open world dullness and then they couldn't even leave her alone.

/rant.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017

I was disgusted and angered by this and that was knowing it was coming. I deleted the game, hid the trophies Fuck Ubisoft. Not only that but even if you're playing Kassandra as heterosexual (I wasn't) the options are still romance a boring character or do it for "breeding". It's tone deaf bullshit and I found it all offensive. I can only imagine how women and the LGBTQ community feels.

Kassandra's personality and great voice acting were the games only saving grace as the rest was just soulless by the numbers Ubidoft open world dullness and then they couldn't even leave her alone.

/rant.

the fact that pre-patch the trophy for getting with nut tacos and having the baby was called "growing up"....... woof

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
As a bit of positive representation for a change, the indie RPG Ikenfell is real fun from what I've played so far and the characters are pretty great. Quite a bit of LGBT representation too, and I believe your first party member is non-binary.

Ikenfell.jpg

Gameplay screenshots can make it look a bit basic but in motion it's pretty well animated + cute.

Again, Ubisoft environment problem. I was starting to be question why Ubi was be so apolitical with their games. How they always had a slip up during interviews about their women characters from the "women are hard to animate" to how certain game would work with a female character.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017

/rant.
the fact that pre-patch the trophy for getting with nut tacos and having the baby was called "growing up"....... woof

I never got around to playing the dlc (Or finishing the main game to be honest, got too bogged down in side activities and it is LONG if you do that), I had only heard about it online and knew to avoid. I can't imagine how I'd have felt getting to that DLC completely unawares, having established Kassandra as a lesbian in my playthrough only get to the scene where you are forced to have sex with a man and then seeing "Growing up" trophy unlock. Like holy shit.

I hadn't heard about this game, it looks neat and I like a good tactical rpg.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft wants to be apolitical cause politics requires taking a firm stand on an issue and no corporation wants to do that.

Honestly the apolitical virus going around the industry is dumb. Can't wait for 2K to say the next Bioshock is apolitical.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad that Ubisoft touted about consulting with GLAAD about "fixing" that plot point in the AC Odyssey DLC. The end result reflects badly on both, not that I had much stock in either.

I hadn't heard about what you were talking about, so I googled AC Odyssey GLAAD. I didn't get far enough to find what you were talking about because I got distracted by something else instead. Apparently GLAAD nominated the game for a Media Award, despite the fact that the DLC was already out before the nomination?! What the hell.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft wants to be apolitical cause politics requires taking a firm stand on an issue and no corporation wants to do that.

Honestly the apolitical virus going around the industry is dumb. Can't wait for 2K to say the next Bioshock is apolitical.
Too worried about the bottom line to do something like actually take a political stance.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Her pose is fucking me up. Like the angle of her chest and shirt compared to the rest is off. Also feels like she has a really long head from nose to back of the head. The shoes are horrid. Overall, not a fan of this design from what I can see.

Dustlander

Dec 25, 2017
Brazil
What do you think about the new Guilty Gear character Giovanna?

Trailer:
www.youtube.com

GUILTY GEAR -STRIVE- Trailer#6 - GUILTY GEAR OFFICIAL LIVESTREAM

■Official website: https://www.guiltygear.com/ggst/jp/ -GUILTY GEAR : the next entry to the series- 「GUILTY GEAR」シリーズ最新作「GUILTY GEAR -STRIVE-」始動! ■GUILTY GEA...

I knew most people wouldn't like the button/cleavage thing, and yeah, that's regrettable. But still, I'm so incredibly happy to see a Brazilian fighting game character who's a total badass and not just some ultra sexualized "hot latina" trope like Street Fighter's Laura or Tekken's Christie and Katarina. We've come so far from representing my country with literally a green electric monster man, I'm maining her for sure!

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Trailer:
www.youtube.com

■Official website: https://www.guiltygear.com/ggst/jp/ -GUILTY GEAR : the next entry to the series- 「GUILTY GEAR」シリーズ最新作「GUILTY GEAR -STRIVE-」始動! ■GUILTY GEA...

is this one of them jojos

Do up one more button, for sure, but as far as fighting game characters not designed by SNK in the '90s goes, she seems pretty cool overall.

also the heels are cute 🤷‍♀️

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

Trailer:
www.youtube.com

Girl needs to see a good tailor, the pants bother me the most. The cleavage is less emphasized for her actual character model. Not to into fighting games but the wrestling fan in me appreciates she has a poison rana in her moveset.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Last edited:

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Trailer:
www.youtube.com

her shoes have paw prints on the bottom ;__;

At least the heels aren't like REALLY ridiculous, i guess.
Between her and millia... i really like the women in the game in general, except ramlethal

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Trailer:
www.youtube.com

I mostly like her. Yeah the cleavage and hells aren't great, but they're also fairly tame (by fighting game standards at least), and she looks otherwise pretty cool. I don't feel like she's being objectified at all. Plus, she wear pants. Actual pants. Triple bonus points for that! lol. But yeah, it feels like a decent example of a woman who, while still sexy, is not actually objectified.

Honestly I dislike the music in the trailer far more than the design. 👀 I used to love Guilty Gear music (GGXX on PS2 is still my favourite OST of the franchise), those modern tracks with the crappy vocals are a bummer.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So weird that the official art puts her clevage in her bellybutton while gameplay clevage is more ... normal

I knew most people wouldn't like the button/cleavage thing, and yeah, that's regrettable. But still, I'm so incredibly happy to see a Brazilian fighting game character who's a total badass and not just some ultra sexualized "hot latina" trope like Street Fighter's Laura or Tekken's Christie and Katarina. We've come so far from representing my country with literally a green electric monster man, I'm maining her for sure!

...is she brazilian ? Where did you found this information ?

Also her wolf absolutely should have been a maned wolf then since wolfs are a northern hemisphere thing =P

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Boy, I love seeing shit like this on the front page of Steam. Time to customize this feed.

AmIhM8A.png
"The only bad thing about it is that its hard to play with one hand" wow just wow, not only could someone buy the game and write a public review about but they had the great idea to literally talk about how you can relieve yourself to it.... What makes someone think its okay to mention in a review? (rhetorical question I'd really not know how)

But yeah time to customise your recommendations

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
As a bit of positive representation for a change, the indie RPG Ikenfell is real fun from what I've played so far and the characters are pretty great. Quite a bit of LGBT representation too, and I believe your first party member is non-binary.

Ikenfell.jpg

Gameplay screenshots can make it look a bit basic but in motion it's pretty well animated + cute.
This looks great! I love the artstyle.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I mostly like her. Yeah the cleavage and hells aren't great, but they're also fairly tame (by fighting game standards at least), and she looks otherwise pretty cool. I don't feel like she's being objectified at all. Plus, she wear pants. Actual pants. Triple bonus points for that! lol. But yeah, it feels like a decent example of a woman who, while still sexy, is not actually objectified.

Honestly I dislike the music in the trailer far more than the design. 👀 I used to love Guilty Gear music (GGXX on PS2 is still my favourite OST of the franchise), those modern tracks with the crappy vocals are a bummer.
YES! GGXX music fucking rocks.
Glad you mostly dig Giovanna's design. I feel the same about her, and it's nice that Brazillian folk feel better represented. (I mained Laura in SF5 for a while, but it still felt trash.) Love that red hair and green wolf contrast.

Looks like miHoYo isn't perfect from this interview
www.scmp.com

How Genshin Impact’s Chinese creators built its success on otaku love

Shanghai-based miHoYo, the company behind Chinese mobile hit game Genshin Impact, was founded by three engineering postgraduates – Cai Haoyu, Liu Wei and Luo Yuhao. Their slogan: ‘tech otakus save the world’.
On their past games, Cai said the game had a simple mission: to serve male gamers' yearning to bond with virtual female characters in a game.

However, because they are willing to do global, the had to change certain elements in their games to be open to a wider audience. That said an aspect of their views is reflective of China's female gaming audience problem.

www.scmp.com

What industry has a particular pernicious problem with sexism?

Sexism in gaming is common worldwide but more openly tolerated in China, where feminism is silenced and stigmatised.
www.scmp.com

Stereotypes still rife in Chinese games designed for women

A virtual boyfriend dating sim kicked off a wave of games in China designed specifically for female gamers.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
"To serve male gamers' yearning to bond with virtual female characters" is the least surprising quote ever playing Genshin Impact. Even if the game is toned down compared to some of their other mobile releases, that goal is still clear in it.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I will preface it with I do really love Mass Effect but it blows my mind people to see people recommending it in a thread about female characters that aren't sexualized when EDI in Mass Effect 3 is a thing like...

edi-me3.jpg

She has a robo camel toe.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
"To serve male gamers' yearning to bond with virtual female characters" is the least surprising quote ever playing Genshin Impact. Even if the game is toned down compared to some of their other mobile releases, that goal is still clear in it.

As sad as it is, at least they're honest.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
On their past games, Cai said the game had a simple mission: to serve male gamers' yearning to bond with virtual female characters in a game.
Well at least they're transparent about it. The gacha industry has always been about this, just no one made it the official company mission statement.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much.
I will preface it with I do really love Mass Effect but it blows my mind people to see people recommending it in a thread about female characters that aren't sexualized when EDI in Mass Effect 3 is a thing like...

edi-me3.jpg

She has a robo camel toe.

Not to mention the infamous Miranda's-ass-framing camera shot.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Looks like miHoYo isn't perfect from this interview
www.scmp.com

How Genshin Impact’s Chinese creators built its success on otaku love

Shanghai-based miHoYo, the company behind Chinese mobile hit game Genshin Impact, was founded by three engineering postgraduates – Cai Haoyu, Liu Wei and Luo Yuhao. Their slogan: ‘tech otakus save the world’.

However, because they are willing to do global, the had to change certain elements in their games to be open to a wider audience. That said an aspect of their views is reflective of China's female gaming audience problem.

www.scmp.com

What industry has a particular pernicious problem with sexism?

Sexism in gaming is common worldwide but more openly tolerated in China, where feminism is silenced and stigmatised.
www.scmp.com

Stereotypes still rife in Chinese games designed for women

A virtual boyfriend dating sim kicked off a wave of games in China designed specifically for female gamers.

MiHoYo certainly not ashamed of their words and deeds...

Speaking about miHoYo's first hit game Guns Girl – Honkai Gakuen at the Gamelook Game Open Day conference in July 2014, Cai said the game had a simple mission: to serve male gamers' yearning to bond with virtual female characters in a game.​
"We are making an otaku game … So girls are an important element," Cai said of Guns Girl, which features a legion of cute, gun-wielding girls battling futuristic robots, according to the post-event transcript posted on Chinese media outlet Gamelook's website. At the Shanghai conference, Cai also reportedly said he played popular Korean fantasy game Blade & Soul only because of a user-created script that allowed gamers to strip female characters and accentuate the movement of their breasts.
The open-world, action-adventure game – where gamers play as young, magic-conjuring warriors journeying through a fairy-tale-like world – features some prominent male characters, but its cast mainly comprises young female characters with flirtatious dialogue.
Liu has attributed much of miHoYo's success to its early adoption of this monetisation strategy, which he has referred to as "paying for love": banking on gamers' affection for female characters rather than their desire to gain a competitive advantage by buying powerful weapons in the game.
"We asked ourselves why we would want to pay: it's because we love a certain virtual character that we become willing to pay for her," he said. "This impulse to pay was the opposite of what mainstream games had to offer at the time."

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Pretty much.

Not to mention the infamous Miranda's-ass-framing camera shot.
Or when the grand mystery of what the masked alien Tali looked like was resolved as... a stock shot of a model shrugging her cardigan off her shoulder. But with the pupils photoshopped out and a purple tint.

Or the origins of Kelly Chambers
masseffect.fandom.com

Kelly Chambers

Kelly Chambers is Commander Shepard's yeoman on the Normandy SR-2 in 2185. In addition to her duties as yeoman, she is also a psychologist and will offer insight into each new addition to the squad. She is a potential romance partner for either a male or female Shepard. Kelly's primary job on...
Kelly started out in concept as two separate characters, codenamed ensign_cutie and ensign_threesome.

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Curious what folks think about Assassin's Creed Valhalla making both male and female Eivor canon (somehow)

On the one hand it might make more people play as the female character, but it seems like it has the potential to be real messy, especially when it comes to potential relationship mechanics. Like if I want to play as a gay viking man will that even be possible?

Also not like they've changed their marketing from being male-centric