• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hakunon

Oct 11, 2018
When I was playing through Lisa's quest, I noticed how similar the female NPCs are up-close but the variety in clothes is good. Also some are implied to be sapphic, though I guess it's not surprising coming from Honkai.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I believe someone posted in the OT that one of the playable character's bios mentions his "dads", and I hope it wasn't a typo.

The localization of the game is really good, there's some funny lines and while the story is whatever, the actual things characters say is pretty fun.

some NPC asked me "Why are you sweating? Did you leave the tavern?" during a quest where I snuck out to fight monsters
and I chose the reply "I just did some squats" which is great

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if this is the right thread for it but seeing people shit on Handler from Monster Hunter World for her face from time to time always makes me sad becuase I like that she has a distinctive look.

She's still very pretty/cute but I feel like she doesn't look like she have a face I've seen a thousand times before in video games.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I believe someone posted in the OT that one of the playable character's bios mentions his "dads", and I hope it wasn't a typo.

The localization of the game is really good, there's some funny lines and while the story is whatever, the actual things characters say is pretty fun.

some NPC asked me "Why are you sweating? Did you leave the tavern?" during a quest where I snuck out to fight monsters
and I chose the reply "I just did some squats" which is great
I've seen mentioned Bennett was raised within the adventure guild, so it's probably not a typo but likely just a reference to how he considers all the guys in there his dads. But y'know what, I say if they don't ever really specify it in game, then gay dads headcanon all the way lol.
Decent amount of body types too. However, I haven't seen big size men other than some tone dudes and there isn't any tone women.
I've come across a bigger dude at the big tree resort/inn place in Liyue. Not seen any buff women either, though.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
My gf got me a copy of 13 Sentinels, probably won't be able to dive in deep until Sunday.

The game is worth it to finish to the end....however you will encounter a "Certain" character that will have that extremely jarring sexualized design that it feels like it belongs in a completely different game.

It's still waaaaaay beyond worth it to finish the game.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I'm in love with Genshin Impact. Hell, even if it's waifu city, the designs could be so much worse. Hell, if any girl has like a skirt like outfit she either has leggings or shorts on, at least out of the characters I've seen.

Boob jiggle pretty bad when it shows up but I don't have any characters that it's noticeable with when running around the world.

Wish it had more variety because even the boy characters are generally cute, lol. I think only Diluc is more of the "handsome" grown up type, while the rest are pretty boyish. The NPCs however have more variety in their designs.

The female character designs are OK so far I don't mind FeMC but it does weird me out how everyone looks like a kid. I support older male characters and I look forward to the new male heroes out SOON. Like it's either going to be Venti who looks like a kid or someone who looks like a adult like Kaeya and Diluc.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The game is worth it to finish to the end....however you will encounter a "Certain" character that will have that extremely jarring sexualized design that it feels like it belongs in a completely different game.

It's still waaaaaay beyond worth it to finish the game.
Are you talking about Chihiro Morimura?
She is by far the worst and the catsuit is terrible for serious scenes. Even with women in charge of the character designs, you know they wanted to please and/or honor George Kamitani's "signature" style especially with her. Gods, I hope the adult versions of the other girls are handled way better.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to give SF5 a try since it was free on PS+. JESUS!
It's that bad eh?
SF has never really done subtlety...

MK and the new Guilty Gear seemed to have evolved past the 90's era of designing a fighting game character that's not just tits, asses and stereotypes.
I heard that they hired someone different who designed the costumes for MK11 which is why the women in that game aren't sexualized like in MK9.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Guilty Gear? Lolwhat? Have you played Rev 2?

I mean I guess you mean Strive, but that still hasn't shown all its characters and more importantly hasn't shown (if they are even in it) the usual characters that get the most fanservice:

Baiken
The guitar lady
The gun lady from Rev 2

Ramlethal is slightly less fanservice-y in Strive but shes still showing a lot of skin.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about Chihiro Morimura?
She is by far the worst and the catsuit is terrible for serious scenes. Even with women in charge of the character designs, you know they wanted to please and/or honor George Kamitani's "signature" style especially with her. Gods, I hope the adult versions of the other girls are handled way better.

The reason its so jarring is because she's the only one, literally the only character that looks or dresses like that or is "designed" that way.

besides her the game is pretty phenomenal.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The reason its so jarring is because she's the only one, literally the only character that looks or dresses like that or is "designed" that way.

It sadly make sense given Iori/Chihiro is the lead woman in the game, so of course she had to be the lightning rod for George Kamitani's creepy perversion and to appeal to otaku.

VaIdor

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 5, 2020
Sol System
While I love the Cammy character from Street Fighter her default look is just fanservice. As a straight guy I like her design for her muscular physique and big butt but it needs a redesign. Her leotard makes no sense from a tactical standpoint. Cammy is apparently a special forces soldier but rarely if ever is presented aesthetically as such. I can tell that Ryu is a martial artist immediately form his well worn gi and gloves. Cammys default on the other hand doesn't immediately give you an idea of who she is.

A hypothetical SF6 or dlc could give Cammy a new default that suits her perfectly. Maybe a tactical bodysuit with her classic color scheme or a soldier's typical fatigues would be awesome. Obviously Capcom can give her this whenever and they sort of did with the Jill Valentine dlc.

A fusion of these 2 fanart pieces would be nice imo. Mainly just the exposed skin being covered on her thighs.

tumblr_nkz9drRalC1qicmrto1_1280.png

image0.jpg

VaIdor

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 5, 2020
Sol System
it is more of a critique of the drawing xD
... the tight/body connection is too tight =P

I am up for ANY cammy design that try to move away from Doll design
Oh I agree it does look a bit tight. I was going to post my thoughts in that Cammy design thread but to bump a 2 month old thread for that seemed unnecessary.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Oh I agree it does look a bit tight. I was going to post my thoughts in that Cammy design thread but to bump a 2 month old thread for that seemed unnecessary.

I love to talk about cammy designs xD

But my biggest problem is that her most basic characteristic (besides her ass, of course xD) is that she has PTSD from the time she was a doll and want distance from it ... and most of her designs KEEP THE FUCKING DOLL MOTIF and that makes me rage in frustration because of how common it is.

Like your top example is still too much doll for me. Like even has the same gloves as Dolls do =/

Only characters immune to lol girl armor are the Spartans in Halo.

And a female spartan still ended up being the dead or alive crossover xD

VaIdor

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 5, 2020
Sol System

But my biggest problem is that her most basic characteristic (besides her ass, of course xD) is that she has PTSD from the time she was a doll and want distance from it ... and most of her designs KEEP THE FUCKING DOLL MOTIF and that makes me rage in frustration because of how common it is.

Like your top example is still too much doll for me. Like even has the same gloves as Dolls do =/
I see what you mean about the doll look. I would like if they gave her a tactical soldier outfit for possible dlc. A new default that everyone can see in marketing would be much better. I feel like most casual gamers know Cammy just for her sexualized design and that she has a big ass.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017

And a female spartan still ended up being the dead or alive crossover xD
Lol

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was reading this thread and, seeing a load of key character art of male ninjas next to female ones, thought it was interesting and relevant here (if nothing particularly revelatory). Not even just the outfits (lol at high heels and skin-tight fishnet bodystockings), but the way the women are posed in each shot is probably the most obvious running theme.
www.resetera.com

Who is your favorite Ninja/Kunoichi in gaming and why?

There are plenty to choose from. I'll name a few to help people remember some characters. Ninja: Rikmaru Goh the Crow Andy Bogard Ryu Hayabusa Sekiro Joe Musashi Hotsuma Kunoichi: Ayane Mai Shiranui Ayame Rin Hibana - My favorite is Rikimaru mainly because I grew up...

VaIdor

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 5, 2020
Sol System
I was reading this thread and, seeing a load of key character art of male ninjas next to female ones, thought it was interesting and relevant here (if nothing particularly revelatory). Not even just the outfits (lol at high heels and skin-tight fishnet bodystockings), but the way the women are posed in each shot is probably the most obvious running theme.
www.resetera.com

Who is your favorite Ninja/Kunoichi in gaming and why?

There are plenty to choose from. I'll name a few to help people remember some characters. Ninja: Rikmaru Goh the Crow Andy Bogard Ryu Hayabusa Sekiro Joe Musashi Hotsuma Kunoichi: Ayane Mai Shiranui Ayame Rin Hibana - My favorite is Rikimaru mainly because I grew up...
As my favorite kunoichi I love Momiji from Ninja Gaiden even if her design has some strange cutouts and the high heels.

When Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge was released she became playable. A badass stealth suit was added but the trailer focused on her boobs which I think they made bigger from previous games.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I very much prefer this fan art to the official Impa design. Hardening her appearance is the right step.

I don't know, I'm kinda against the idea that every "strong"/interesting female character needs to be hard/a warrior/badass. I sorta like the dichotomy of Impa being able to look soft. Personally I think she's a good balance.

We'll see how the final execution is. I was admittedly a little ??? at the transition between "AHHH HELP ME OOP--" to slaughtering war machine, but hopefully with the full context it'll go over better.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A couple of things I want to clarify about 13 Sentinels since I believe I was one of the first to suggest ITT that the naked pilots were probably explained away with "heating issues". Turns out that's not the lore explanation, click thru if you're fine with being spoiled (it's from the very end of the game.)

The characters are clones that are basically "cultivated" within the cockpits of the sentinels, which aren't cockpits at all. It's basically a Matrix simulation.

Of course there are problems with it still - several characters are shown wearing glasses or, in Iori's case, a flower in her hair, and their hair and fingernails are incredibly well maintained to the extent one character has a friggin' pompadour. And lore doesn't excuse the camera angle differences between the girls and boys, though thank god they never show the full Iori art like that one theme.

Just wanted to clarify so folks know not to bring up the heat thing because that's not accurate and chuds will use it as an excuse to knock down your points even tho it doesn't change much.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As my favorite kunoichi I love Momiji from Ninja Gaiden even if her design has some strange cutouts and the high heels.

When Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge was released she became playable. A badass stealth suit was added but the trailer focused on her boobs which I think they made bigger from previous games.

I too liked momiji, her white outfit from dragon sword was much better though, i always use that one. But i mean her first console game introduced the controller boob shake bullshit :S.

Baldur's gate 3... So i was looking closely at the character creator videos, anyone else notice the female option is the first and default before male in the CC? I thought that was very cool of them.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

This may sound like handwaving but if it's limited to ONE character instead of the whole cast is that better? To me it is, but I'm just asking.

I'm not being facetious I'm genuinely curious where people stand on the "Put your horny in ONE place" perspective of the have your cake and fap to it too kind of perspective that game artists are trying to have.

I don't have any designs like that in my portfolio but I've always been of the mindset that if you want to do "sexy designs" instead of having 50 characters iwth the same thigh exposed outfit you just put it into one or two characters and make the rest "normal" or at least suiting to their environment.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Any thoughts on the design of Balder's Gate 3 designs? I've only seen the first hour or so but I liked that the first character you're introduced to has an extra plate across her chest preventing the boob armor look, while still retaining something that looks "cool" and not so bulky to restrict movement.

Last edited:

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
This may sound like handwaving but if it's limited to ONE character instead of the whole cast is that better? To me it is, but I'm just asking.

I'm not being facetious I'm genuinely curious where people stand on the "Put your horny in ONE place" perspective of the have your cake and fap to it too kind of perspective that game artists are trying to have.

I don't have any designs like that in my portfolio but I've always been of the mindset that if you want to do "sexy designs" instead of having 50 characters iwth the same thigh exposed outfit you just put it into one or two characters and make the rest "normal" or at least suiting to their environment.

Besides that singular character and the static "Nekked" cockpit portraits thats literally all there is in the game in terms of overt sexualization. unlike most of their previous games.

They dont go any deeper than those two points.

Its still very jarring when you have "that" character on screen in the midst of everything else. But yeah, the "Horny" seems to have been solely contained into a singular character in this case.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Besides that singular character and the static "Nekked" cockpit portraits thats literally all there is in the game in terms of overt sexualization. unlike most of their previous games.

They dont go any deeper than those two points.

Its still very jarring when you have "that" character on screen in the midst of everything else. But yeah, the "Horny" seems to have been solely contained into a singular character in this case.
Oh yeah I'm playing it so I know the context and everything. I'm just curious if a "middle ground" for the horny art side of things and the better character design of things is relegated to a single "sexy character" if they want to go that route.

Just basically the difference between like "Here is a list of characters who all have huge jugs and no clothes" versus a story/game with like "this is the designated 'writers barely disguised fetish' character" approach.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

To me it depends how central they are to game

Morimura is like "fine" because she only appears in a few scenes and it's mercifully over before she's overstayed her welcome

But you could argue Atelier Ryza only has two notably bad designs, but one of them is Ryza herself so you're stuck with her 100x of the time. She just stands out painfully. Though I guess I'd still take that over the entire cast looking like her.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The cutouts, along with some other things, seem to be very common tropes in female ninja characters from Japanese games. I'm still trying to find out where the archetypal "kunoichi outfit" came from.

The most "standard" version I can think of that contains the most parts of that stereotypical outfit is the girl from Onimusha 1.

AliceAbstract

Oct 27, 2017

If done well, I'm generally okay with it, in that it comes a lot closer to the good faith version of that dumb argument of "But what if she WANTS to dress sexy? Stop oppressing this female character designed by a horny male artist/at the request of a horny male director!" Because, yeah, obviously some women really enjoy looking good/get a self-esteem boost from dressing sexy! A world in which every woman is covered head-to-toe is no more realistic than one in which every woman is wearing a bikini variant. (...Unless that world is an ice planet.)

The problem is, in an industry that's had trouble with this for decades, devs kinda need to put their best foot forward and show that all women are not being sexualized/used for het-male titillation first (and I'm talking party members and lead females. Don't just throw in a bunch of drab NPCs and tell us "problem solved!") before asking players to trust that the sexy looking girl is dressing that way for herself/with any sort of fictional agency.

And even then, use some sense, damn it! Some of the stuff they put women in looks hellishly painful to wear! Let alone adventure in!

...That said, I really don't dig the framing of "one female character should be 'sacrificed' to the horndogs so the devs can tell a good story." It reads too much like the whole "Guys can't help themselves" (aka, "Boys will be boys") excuse that gets pulled out for all sorts of awful things.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
No sacrifices...I'll save them all :>

Usually, it takes one extreme female character design to make me go HMMM--- there are so many other games that don't have this specific problem.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
If done well, I'm generally okay with it, in that it comes a lot closer to the good faith version of that dumb argument of "But what if she WANTS to dress sexy? Stop oppressing this female character designed by a horny male artist/at the request of a horny male director!" Because, yeah, obviously some women really enjoy looking good/get a self-esteem boost from dressing sexy! A world in which every woman is covered head-to-toe is no more realistic than one in which every woman is wearing a bikini variant. (...Unless that world is an ice planet.)

The problem is, in an industry that's had trouble with this for decades, devs kinda need to put their best foot forward and show that all women are not being sexualized/used for het-male titillation first (and I'm talking party members and lead females. Don't just throw in a bunch of drab NPCs and tell us "problem solved!") before asking players to trust that the sexy looking girl is dressing that way for herself/with any sort of fictional agency.

And even then, use some sense, damn it! Some of the stuff they put women in looks hellishly painful to wear! Let alone adventure in!

...That said, I really don't dig the framing of "one female character should be 'sacrificed' to the horndogs so the devs can tell a good story." It reads too much like the whole "Guys can't help themselves" (aka, "Boys will be boys") excuse that gets pulled out for all sorts of awful things.
Nah not saying they have to. What I'm saying is if an artist or designer wants to be "horny on main" so to speak.

How you read it is something that I can't effect much. I can only state it was not intended in that way and I believe the assumption of intent is part of the probelm with the discussion. Thanks for the feedback though, I was just generally curious since we were talking about 13 sentinels which had a specific "Sexy" character.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
There is a joke update list in the Genshin Impact thread with various buffs and nerfs making fun of the characters. It ended with this fabricated change:

(emphasis added)
Traveler (Male) gains a new passive, "Headcanon"; it proves everyone who picked Traveler (Female) wrong, and unlocks romance options at Friendship 10 with female characters.
Yes, it is a joke, but I really hate the bold part. It seems that unless the creators specifically designate the female as the canon option through a direct statement or a sequel (e.g. KoTOR2), there will be all sorts of excuses to insist that the male is the canon choice, and players who prefer the female protagonist are playing through a fanfiction.

Male on the box art and promotional material? Creators wanted him to be canon. Female on the box art and promotional material? Pandering to SJW or horny men. Spinoffs starring male? Evidence he is canon. Spinoffs starring female? It's just a what-if scenario. Story seem written assuming a male protagonist? Female is just an option added as an afterthought. Story seem written assuming a female protagonist? These bits that suggest a male protagonist are obviously more important.