• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
So it's almost Halloween time. This year I'm choosing Remothered. I don't know a huge amount about it but it does have a fairly well designed middle aged woman which seems pretty rare! I think it's set in the 70s?

_2333303b.jpg
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that game is transphobic with one of the characters you learn about.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
The boob jiggle in Genshin Impact is so awful -- like it's obviously not the most extreme or in your face example by any means, but the boobs jiggle separately from each other and it looks so bad lmao. Like, a character will just be standing there breathing and one boob will move up a little while the other will move down a little and I just fjdkas;flfd
In a game that's amazing (by anime standards) otherwise it's just like why?! And also, have you ever looked at a real woman before???? Because I promise you that is not how it works lol

At least you don't see it when you're as the characters since you're staring at their backs the entire time but ugghh. It's like my one major complaint about the game.

oof, I'm now on the fence if I want to play as FeMC or not based on this info. Usually I play female characters in JRPG if I can really just for a change of pace but this would bother me over time so much.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
oof, I'm now on the fence if I want to play as FeMC or not based on this info. Usually I play female characters in JRPG if I can really just for a change of pace but this would bother me over time so much.

for some reason Chinese and Korean anime-influenced stuff is always super horny

I will say after only being like 30 minutes in, Genshin Impact is pretty good looking. It's essentially a higher fidelity BOTW with combat that reminds me of Ys 8, kinda.

I chose the boy and he looks fine, but the girl character didn't really look egregious. But of course you don't get to see any jiggle before you select your character.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing as the boy, so I dunno what it looks like on her in practice, but most of the boob jiggle is only really noticeable and obnoxious on the ladies with bigger boobs. Like I can barely see movement at all on Amber unless I'm really, really looking for it (and even then, it's easy to ignore as just breathing + wind on her clothing), so you'd probably be fine playing as the FeMC in this.

I found a couple gifs of her on google real quick, though, for reference, if it helps:
491fec02bb3a68af11cb1fb9d3a87472_1219200299782272989.gif
812dcf4505eb38b1abb7e3679e61a28d_5601322092817347100.gif
30428ee3ebdc2092d497acf3d4ff1937_191049589607092405.gif

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Thanks, everyone, it looks to be less bad than I thought. Now to wait for my 7-8 hr download to finish so I can try the game.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
isn't remothered's transphobia stuff about hrt making the character go c~r~a~z~y or something? ...that's really awful even in the context of video game transphobia

I've been playing as the boy, so I dunno what it looks like on her in practice, but most of the boob jiggle is only really noticeable and obnoxious on the ladies with bigger boobs. Like I can barely see movement at all on Amber unless I'm really, really looking for it (and even then, it's easy to ignore as just breathing + wind on her clothing), so you'd probably be fine playing as the FeMC in this.

I found a couple gifs of her on google real quick, though, for reference, if it helps:
491fec02bb3a68af11cb1fb9d3a87472_1219200299782272989.gif
812dcf4505eb38b1abb7e3679e61a28d_5601322092817347100.gif
30428ee3ebdc2092d497acf3d4ff1937_191049589607092405.gif
Playing as FeMC here and yeah, no real movement. It characters like Lisa who get the jiggle and it annoying when it happens during cutscenes where she talking about world events. One thing for sure, Genshin Impact is all about shorts for most of it female cast and NPCs. I say about 50% of female characters have shorts as main bottom clothing or under their dress/skirts.

Last edited:

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really noticed the breast jiggle to much in Genshin Impact, since you're always seeing the character from behind anyway.
I will say I hate the outfits on every girl I've unlocked so far and I badly hope there is some decent customization options to make them look less stupid.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I haven't really noticed the breast jiggle to much in Genshin Impact, since you're always seeing the character from behind anyway.
I will say I hate the outfits on every girl I've unlocked so far and I badly hope there is some decent customization options to make them look less stupid.

I feel the same for a lot of gacha games so I end up w/all boy party so it goes.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough. Sex doesn't sell.

https://qz.com/1013695/a-new-study-shows-sex-doesnt-actually-sell/

And the faster game designers realize it the better.

Sex alone may not sell, at least not on average or in the grand scheme of things, but this doesn't mean there aren't any markets or products where it does work in combination with other factors. Furthermore, various companies still continue to try using sex to sell, regardless of the degree of success achieved. Which can indeed vary from "no effect" to "a lot".

Case in point: many current mobile games, particularly of the gacha variety. Their character designs have already been discussed here a few times.

Admittedly, many gacha games still end their service prematurely since it's a pretty cutthroat sector, but others do stick around and continue to use sexualized designs.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Sex sells in the sense that people will always have sexual desires and appealing to it is profitable.

But it has a time and place. Devs, especially JRPG ones, need to stop acting like everyone is a 13 y/o boy who's always horny.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Even if we pretend "sex sells" was a universal truth, when you are designing a gacha game where you want people feeding money into a slot machine you'd want to appeal to things other then sex too right. Like... Make sure you are getting money from people with diverse interests in character design.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
"Sex sells", does that mean TLoU2 sold well because of Abby and Owen's sex scene? Yeah that must be it.

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
Funny enough. Sex doesn't sell.

https://qz.com/1013695/a-new-study-shows-sex-doesnt-actually-sell/

And the faster game designers realize it the better.
Sex may-or-may-not sell games, but it certainly seems to sell DLC to creepy whales.

Much like a niche anime with trashy character designs. It may not be moving DVDs, but the $100+ barely-clad waifu figurines sure are flying off the shelves.

Apparently, "terrible, but aesthetically pleasing to a certain demographic" is a viable business model. I'd be less annoyed by it if certain groups didn't also view it as a political/life philosophy...

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Sex alone may not sell, at least not on average or in the grand scheme of things, but this doesn't mean there aren't any markets or products where it does work in combination with other factors. Furthermore, various companies still continue to try using sex to sell, regardless of the degree of success achieved. Which can indeed vary from "no effect" to "a lot".

Case in point: many current mobile games, particularly of the gacha variety. Their character designs have already been discussed here a few times.

Admittedly, many gacha games still end their service prematurely since it's a pretty cutthroat sector, but others do stick around and continue to use sexualized designs.
Except the studies show that people will remember the sex, not the product it was selling. Thus it is worthless.

To put it into a gamer perspective since Dead or Alive was brought up.

For the longest time all I remembered about that ad was "She kicks high"

I didn't even remember that the whole ad was about the stupidly overly sexual character design, or what game it was advertising. I literally typed into Google "She kicks high" and was surprised it was DOA. Well I wasn't surprised. I just didn't remember that, that was what the ad was for.

To go to the Gatcha games you mentioned. What's is the player retention rate? Or to put it another way. How many people installed the app for sexy times and then never touched it again after they realized that the sexiness was all behind paywalls and random grabs?

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Was anyone else annoyed at Jill's boobs giggle every time she walked in Resident Evil Remake? I kinda couldn't get over it.

The RE games are nothing but pure fanservice...they only went true actual survival horror with RE7/8.

Every game offers something insanely ridiculous.

Though they hit a tipping point with RE: Revelations and RE6 in terms of their sexual fanservice.

resident_evil_revelations_girls_render_by_kunoichi_supai_d7qmaxy-pre.jpg

h2-noscale.jpg

Bonus:

going-overboard.large.jpg

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The RE games are nothing but pure fanservice...they only went true actual survival horror with RE7/8.

Though they hit a tipping point with RE: Revelations and RE6 in terms of their sexual fanservice.

h2-noscale.jpg

Bonus:

To be fair, RE did start to reign it in from 7 onwards.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Her character description off the fan wiki.
I stopped dropping the worst FEH crap in here when I stopped playing it early this year, but I see it's continuing to circle the drain. What is this, a literal sex fantasy waifu fairy or something? I see the bingo board in full effect on the character design. "Though she would wish to escape this role, she cannot". Seems about right. Seems kinda weird that a character introduced as the literal supernatural avatar of a wet dream, in a sexualised outfit, still has to somehow be demure and secretly kinda dislike it while otaku enjoy it. Having their cake and eating it as usual. In a game with hundreds of dumb sexualised outfits pasted on female soldiers, just seems weird to have a character who is the literal embodiment of sexual fantasies be the one that hates their job of titillating people.

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
everyone seems to love hades but i know like... nothing about it. can someone who's played it explain?
People are hot for the protag and all(?) the gods.

I find the game unappealing since the only protag choice is a man, and I'm sure it doesn't depict the Greek pantheon as being full of horrible people (especially rapist and patriarch Zeus).

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
everyone seems to love hades but i know like... nothing about it. can someone who's played it explain?
In gameplay terms, it's just a really good rogue-lite action game with a lot of replayability. On top of that is a pretty interesting story about Zagreus trying to escape Hades'(his father) control.

The sexy part comes from the fact that it's filled with greek gods who are all attractive, without being overly tasteless about it. In particular though, I think the MC, Zagreus, has that kind of Dante-like pretty boy appeal, with a really good voice actor, and a great personality. I can easily see why people would be drawn to him as opposed to yet another dudebro.

Edit: FWIW, the game could have a female MC without impacting much, so I understand that disappointment.

Last edited:

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I find the game unappealing since the only protag choice is a man, and I'm sure it doesn't depict the Greek pantheon as being full of horrible people (especially rapist and patriarch Zeus).

It doesn't depict the Greek pantheon in that way, no.

But it's a game about the fictional son of fictional Hades trying to escape the fictional underworld. It's not based in any mythological story and it takes huge liberties with the Greek pantheon as it is. Given that no-one has worshipped those gods for literally thousands of years I don't see the harm in portraying them differently to how they were originally written in ancient Greece. Particular as no-one of them are real and choosing to not depict them as rapists doesn't have any RL impact?

For example, that includes the fact that several of the gods are black - a very positive change. It's a light hearted action game that portrays its cast really well in a setting that (uniquely) totally embraces and makes sense for the genre its in.

I cannot recommend Hades enough.

P.S. Having a female Zagraeus would also be v cool.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

Jill costume is ok in Revelations. A little bland, true, but there is clearly a major difference between it and the other two in this picture (or the others from Revelations). And although I often think that RE having some iconic female characters are more an accident than a result of care and work, Jill's costumes tend to be very good. There is the original RE3's which is a source of some controversy (personally I l ike it) and some bonus costumes may be bad, but overall they tend to be great.

But it's a game about the fictional son of fictional Hades trying to escape the fictional underworld. It's not based in any mythological story and it takes huge liberties with the Greek pantheon as it is. Given that no-one has worshipped those gods for literally thousands of years I don't see the harm in portraying them differently to how they were originally written in ancient Greece. Particular as no-one of them are real and choosing to not depict them as rapists doesn't have any RL impact?

For example, that includes the fact that several of the gods are black - a very positive change. It's a light hearted action game that portrays its cast really well in a setting that (uniquely) totally embraces and makes sense for the genre its in.

I don't know if this is a good comparison, but when people talk about mythology and what the gods should look like, I immediatally think of fictional fantasy stories. In the sense that there is a "pre-made excuse" to make everything homogeneous and white. And I think those stories should be handled with much more flexibility than that.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Right - and Hades takes that flexibility and runs with it. Ares and Athena are both black for example.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Was anyone else annoyed at Jill's boobs giggle every time she walked in Resident Evil Remake? I kinda couldn't get over it.
Yeah, it is a real annoyance but it's also comically bad. Probably has to do with the physics getting fucked up by the increased frame rate.
The jiggle was in the GameCube version but is probably a lot more noticeable at double the framerate and more than double the resolution.

h2-noscale.jpg

Bonus:

The overall tone slowly drifted over the years until it reached a peak with Revelations 1 and RE6, then dialed it back with 7. Rev1 is REALLY anime fanservice-y even compared to the rest of the series.

I think RE1-3 on the PS1 are mostly just standard cheesy 90's Hollywood-like character design, with some room for debate on Jill's RE3 outfit. Code Veronica is where it actually starts to get a little bit anime. Each game after that drifted a little bit further but I feel like Rev1 and 6 are where it really jumped too far.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

Wouldn't be so sure of that.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018

I'm actually a pagan who follows the Greek pantheon! And I LOVE all of the POC representation in the game, and the way their personalities are written. And you can still tell the writers did tons of research.

If you're interested, the webcomic "Lore Olympus" does some really interesting stuff with the Greek gods as well. However TW: Rape & Abuse, despite that its still very heartwarming and funny.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot to hate in the character designs of Genshin Impact, and even in the specific character I'm going to link there is a lot of problems, but I just wanted to shout out how much I hate, hate, the "different lengthed stockings" thing.

maxresdefault.jpg

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

h2-noscale.jpg

Bonus:

Yea, luckily things have been good in the "new" RE era so far. Claire and Jill both got great redesigns.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot to hate in the character designs of Genshin Impact, and even in the specific character I'm going to link there is a lot of problems, but I just wanted to shout out how much I hate, hate, the "different lengthed stockings" thing.

maxresdefault.jpg
Oh man, y'know the different stocking length thing actually doesn't bother me, but this is still one of like two designs that I super hate in the game (the other being Mona). The whole leotard with tons of sheer look irks me so gd damn much. 😑