• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That's unfortunate he shows up in Lost Legacy. Guess they really wanted to reuse the character model and everything. I kind of figure Druckmann's favoritism for Troy Baker after TLOU is probably why Sam Drake came into existence. (I figure Druckmann knew Baker wouldn't have a large role in TLOUII and thus wanted this opportunity to work with him fully.)

In a better world, Uncharted 4 would have been Nathan and Elena going on one final journey together. Then again, as Druckmann has said in at least one interview he doesn't consider himself to be good at writing romance.
He wrote two of the best romances ever in games, imo. Nate and Elena. Ellie and Dina.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
He wrote two of the best romances ever in games, imo. Nate and Elena. Ellie and Dina.
The Uncharted series was a group effort, since Amy Hennig was in charge and on the writing team up through 3. Druckmann got Halley Gross to be the narrative lead and his co-writer for TLOUII because of his own perceived flaws.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The "despite her looks, she's actually badass" is the worst part to me. Who wrote that?
'She's crude and eats a lot' written as a character's flaws is ridiculous too. It's like, this is an insanely complex character background and a ton of shitty lore justifying some horndog design but what's the real problem here is that a busy young combatant likes to eat and swears a lot. So like every soldier, ever then.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I very much prefer this fan art to the official Impa design. Hardening her appearance is the right step.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I'd say the same thing happens to JRPGs for related reasons. Even with a massive cast like Trails of Cold Steel, where you get a huge number of female characters, they are still largely and conveniently all teenagers or in their early 20s having been built out of the standard templated kit for what female characters are allowed to look like. Middle-aged guys can be renowned generals, soldiers and martial artists while having aged, and with that age often used (but not always, because male characters are allowed to have a full normal range of abilities, strengths and weaknesses regardless of their age) as a signifier of experience and presence, but powerful female characters pretty much resort to 'incredibly powerful even though visably very young'. Which is then related to the 'thousand year old dragon' thing. There's no issue in a male character being older, or a male-coded supernatural/artificial creature looking older, to convey experience, wisdom, age, scars, background information, that kind of thing. But female characters that are powerful arent allowed to have aged in order to do so or to have stepped outside the template. They've either peaked very young (leading to 'our senior officer in this division is a teenage girl in combat lingerie') or are eternally that way (leading to 'thousand year old dragon') because heaven forbid a powerful female character not be visably young and objectified (and thus a harem/romance/fantasy girlfriend option for the perceived male player) by default first. That's then how we get into dumb and gross Persona shit and 'you can comfort/romance your female doctor/teacher because even though they are adult professionals with years of training and their career on the line, women in their 20s are still in the 'waifu' bracket and thus your peer as a schoolkid , not an professional adult with a duty of care to your character that is an adolescent'. The whole thing is just gross and templated, with yet another side effect of making older women invisible and minimising their own skills and experience as irrelevant.
This all comes back to the problem with male as the default. We need ways to distinguish characters so you'd see all sorts of embellishment on a male character by making older, making him fat, making him really skinny, and so on. For female characters though, being female is the embellishment. Couple that with the need to make the female characters into eyecandy and it goes a long way towards explaining why there are so many problematic character designs out there.

And while I think that this is most prominently seen in Japanese games but it happens a lot in other places as well. As a thought experiment, if a Hollywood film has someone delivering a pizza or fixing the plumbing or delivering a package, what is the gender of that character?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The Uncharted series was a group effort, since Amy Hennig was in charge and on the writing team up through 3. Druckmann got Halley Gross to be the narrative lead and his co-writer for TLOUII because of his own perceived flaws.
Yea I know for both, but he did handle it in 4, and I think he did a good job there even if the ground work was set. He definitely is better overall at writing platonic/non romantic stuff though overall.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I thought I would post some of my thoughts on 13 Sentinels in here as well:
Iori's underwear is shown when she bumps into someone during her prologue, the nurse's clothing is too small, Juro is literally staring the nurse's cleavage down in a scene, and one female character is talking about how some bad guys want to take something she has a dissect it while a male character misinterprets her as saying she will be dissected and thinks about how that would require her to be undressed which makes him blush.

I thought I would post some of my thoughts on 13 Sentinels in here as well:
Iori's underwear is shown when she bumps into someone during her prologue, the nurse's clothing is too small, Juro is literally staring the nurse's cleavage down in a scene, and one female character is talking about how some bad guys want to take something she has a dissect it while a male character misinterprets her as saying she will be dissected and thinks about how that would require her to be undressed which makes him blush.
Pretty annoying stuff. At least the game have the female cast have agency since no one character is the lead. I did spoil myself with some later scenes that put many of the female cast into a good light.
Some characters are robots but when having exposed robot part they don't sexualize those reveals. There also adult versions of the cast and they are wearing reasonable clothing.

Update: Hades
Hi mom.
latest

latest

Last edited:

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching some gameplay footage of 13 sentinels, the battles actually look kind of cool and something I could be into but I'm still waiting on some more full thoughts on the women characters as more people in this thread play/beat the game before I commit to playing it I think."

I just want to state though, how badly I hate the inside the mech character portraits though. I know we've already talked about how stupid it is they are naked inside the mechs and all that already, but even going beyond the nudity bullshit they just LOOK terrible. I hate how the faces are super lit up while the rest of the body is this dumb vague static blur (obviously because of the nudity). If they had just... not done creepy naked anime children in the mechs, they could have had nice full portraits for piloting the mechs, would make things look a lot better during combat dialogue.

But no, had to have naked girls, so we get this instead:
13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim_2019_10-01-19_032.jpg

It just looks so bad. I picked this one because I think its the most egregiously ugly looking. The way her hair conveniently doesn't static blur out over the rest of her body.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching some gameplay footage of 13 sentinels, the battles actually look kind of cool and something I could be into but I'm still waiting on some more full thoughts on the women characters as more people in this thread play/beat the game before I commit to playing it I think."

I just want to state though, how badly I hate the inside the mech character portraits though. I know we've already talked about how stupid it is they are naked inside the mechs and all that already, but even going beyond the nudity bullshit they just LOOK terrible. I hate how the faces are super lit up while the rest of the body is this dumb vague static blur (obviously because of the nudity). If they had just... not done creepy naked anime children in the mechs, they could have had nice full portraits for piloting the mechs, would make things look a lot better during combat dialogue.

But no, had to have naked girls, so we get this instead:
13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim_2019_10-01-19_032.jpg

It just looks so bad. I picked this one because I think its the most egregiously ugly looking. The way her hair conveniently doesn't static blur out over the rest of her body.
I still don't get why they are naked TBH.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
y'all know who made 13 Sentinels right? I'm not sure what a lot of you were expecting :(

and this isn't excusing it or them, it's surprise that, well, people are surprised by it.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
y'all know who made 13 Sentinels right? I'm not sure what a lot of you were expecting :(

and this isn't excusing it or them, it's surprise that, well, people are surprised by it.

Complaining about something isn't surprise. I appreciate you edited your post to try and be less dismissive than it was initially, but I still think this is a bad post. If we don't criticize games made by developers who have already fucked up previously because "its expected at this point" we may as well just close the thread.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Complaining about something isn't surprise. I appreciate you edited your post to try and be less dismissive than it was initially, but I still think this is a bad post. If we don't criticize games made by developers who have already fucked up previously because "its expected at this point" we may as well just close the thread.
Yeah but I doubt George Kamitani will ever change. It's his art style. IE see all of his new year tributes he draws. Vanillaware is also his company. The best that can be done here is folks being aware it's Vanillaware and know to expect so they can avoid. Jason Schrider (however you spell it) tried to critique and instead Kamitani double downed out of jest.

I guess a good example would be like Satoshi Urushihara in terms of what they like to draw.

Here is his 2020 artwork NSFW : https://www.siliconera.com/vanillaw...on-by-george-kamitani-and-its-another-beauty/

Oh, really? I didn't know that until now!=O

Check out Odin Sphere and Muramasa as well. There's a very prominent trend.

Last edited:

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Kamitani's art style is very much his signature...

He can do so much with it and has a reverence for fairy tales and mythology...

But he's still very very much a horn dog at heart.

I was wondering where the "lewd" would show up in 13 sentinels since all the promos have been very tame.

I believe out of all the games from Vanillaware, Odinsphere was the most toned down besides Velvet's main outfit.

tenor.gif

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Kamitani's art style is very much his signature...

He can do so much with it and has a reverence for fairy tales and mythology...

But he's still very very much a horn dog at heart.

I was wondering where the "lewd" would show up in 13 sentinels since all the promos have been very tame.

I believe out of all the games from Vanillaware, Odinsphere was the most toned down besides Velvet's main outfit.

tenor.gif
Uh you forgot Queen Odette?

odinsphere.fandom.com

Queen Odette

Death Queen Odette of the Netherworld is a supporting antagonist character in the main storyline of Erion Saga book series, whom the ruler of the Netherworld and the creator of the Phozon Crystals, she is the queen of the Netherworld and the dead, the queen of eternal suffering for the sinful...

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Kamitani didn't actually direct the art for 13 Sentinels. He just directed the game design and wrote it and such, I think.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Kamitani didn't actually direct the art for 13 Sentinels. He just directed the game design and wrote it and such, I think.
That's what I gathered. I think Dragon's Crown took a lot out of him, especially since it saved the company from death. Vanillaware is only still living because of Atlus/SEGA.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Uh you forgot Queen Odette?

odinsphere.fandom.com

Queen Odette

Death Queen Odette of the Netherworld is a supporting antagonist character in the main storyline of Erion Saga book series, whom the ruler of the Netherworld and the creator of the Phozon Crystals, she is the queen of the Netherworld and the dead, the queen of eternal suffering for the sinful...

Yeah I did...

she's such a small part of an already massive game tho, so it's easy to overlook.

and it's been a while.

still nothing Vanillaware does is surprising, it's literally their DNA at this point.

AliceAbstract

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at the 80% completion mark for Aegis Rim, but I thought I'd post my thoughts because they lean toward the positive...

Writing wise, I like Aegis Rim's female cast a lot, but if it has two issues for me, it's that one character bears the unfortunate brunt of sexualization in the game and also that the game struck me as very het...? (As much as I've been enjoying Hijiyama and Okino, their romance seems to swim in a sea of m/f couples that drive the plot. There's a LOT of implied pairing up or at least ship teasing among the pilots. Yet the one obvious f/f ship tease is nipped in the bud in a way I found kinda unfortunate.) But I like that there's some rare body diversity in Miwako, who might be a boy-crazy ditz but is a total champ when the chips are down. (Too bad she couldn't be more of a major character.)

Also, while track team member Minami doesn't run around in her gym shorts all the time (...just most...) it only serves to make me wish she could wear a skirt a little more often.(There is a lampshade hanging moment where she wakes up from being knocked out while commenting on how cold she is.)

It's telling that Iori Fuyusaka (with the floofy platinum hair; also the sexualized character I mentioned above) is the one with the most fetishy angle out of all the cockpit views, as she's the same person as that ridiculously proportioned nurse, Ms. Morimura. And there's no reason for her to run around in that revealing boobs-and-butt angled catsuit except "that's how female sci-fi agents dress in these things."

She also has a somewhat groan-worthy scene where she tells Ei Sekigahara she loves him so much she wouldn't mind being killed by him. I thought I was paying pretty good attention to the game, but their romance came out of nowhere for me, which made it especially jarring. I know how their adult selves are connected, but it was still weird.

Adult!Okino, at least to me, presents in a gender neutral fashion (though the game leans toward male at the end) but as loving as his/their relationship with the bi/pansexual Adult!Hijiyama is, there's a VERY awkward scene with their teenage selves where Okino is embarrassing Hijiyama (who for all intents and purposes is from the 1940s and has all the social mores of someone from that period) about his feelings for Okino by reading out the results of a mindscan while a squirming, protesting Hijiyama is tied up to a chair. Hijiyama later shakes off the experience as just an embarrassing one, but...

Also, ship teasing Yuki Takamiya (with the long skirt and ponytail) and Natsuno only to drop the reveal midway through that Adult!Natsuno is Adult!Yuki's daughter felt a little unfair. Especially since after that, Yuki quickly becomes more relevant as Shu's romantic interest. Although I just recently hit a point that suggests there was maybe a thing between Adult!Yuki and Adult!Fuyusaki... (Backed up by a battle mode convo they have, too.)

Two of the girls have an uncomfortable "for my man" bent to their stories. Megumi Yakushiji (long hair, glasses) undertakes a shady task from a guy who verbally abuses her to get her crush's memories back while still getting home-y with said crush in his amnesiatic state, and then Ryoko Shinonome (in the bandages) is slavishly devoted to a man who is only using her, and enacts a vindictive revenge scheme when jilted by him. Also, there's the aforementioned scene with Fuyusaki and Sekigahara...

(I want to note that I think the verbal abuse leveled against Megumi by said shady character was actually overdone by the localization team. That character definitely has a rude and impatient way of speaking, but they talk to other characters with that exact tone of voice yet somehow, only with Megumi is it translated as borderline harassment. One of the few localization choices in this game I'm not happy with.)

Less uncomfortable but a little cliche, there's some defrosting ice queen stuff with Tomi (twin braids). Although Tomi handles herself very well as a character and was one of my favorites. And several of the boys act like blithering idiots for love at times (Ogata, Hijiyama, and Amiguchi) so that helps balance that out a little.

Other random thoughts... At one point, a female android gets parts of her body blown off in such a way that one bare leg is showing up to the groin in a way that was probably aiming for body horror but comes off more like weird fetish? Fuyusaka's tripping animation has already been brought up. The game's not afraid to portray older women though, with at least two women who look to be in their 60s playing story significant roles. And for all the talk of romance, the game passes the Bechdel test easily, and not just in cheap ways.

TLDR, I think in -most- aspects, it is a better game than it looks, and given how much garbage has worked its way into the majority of anime-styled games from Japan, I found it honestly refreshing. Everything that's been pointed out already is all valid though.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I'd say the same thing happens to JRPGs for related reasons. Even with a massive cast like Trails of Cold Steel, where you get a huge number of female characters, they are still largely and conveniently all teenagers or in their early 20s having been built out of the standard templated kit for what female characters are allowed to look like. Middle-aged guys can be renowned generals, soldiers and martial artists while having aged, and with that age often used (but not always, because male characters are allowed to have a full normal range of abilities, strengths and weaknesses regardless of their age) as a signifier of experience and presence, but powerful female characters pretty much resort to 'incredibly powerful even though visably very young'. Which is then related to the 'thousand year old dragon' thing. There's no issue in a male character being older, or a male-coded supernatural/artificial creature looking older, to convey experience, wisdom, age, scars, background information, that kind of thing. But female characters that are powerful arent allowed to have aged in order to do so or to have stepped outside the template. They've either peaked very young (leading to 'our senior officer in this division is a teenage girl in combat lingerie') or are eternally that way (leading to 'thousand year old dragon') because heaven forbid a powerful female character not be visably young and objectified (and thus a harem/romance/fantasy girlfriend option for the perceived male player) by default first. That's then how we get into dumb and gross Persona shit and 'you can comfort/romance your female doctor/teacher because even though they are adult professionals with years of training and their career on the line, women in their 20s are still in the 'waifu' bracket and thus your peer as a schoolkid , not an professional adult with a duty of care to your character that is an adolescent'. The whole thing is just gross and templated, with yet another side effect of making older women invisible and minimising their own skills and experience as irrelevant.
I was thinking about this last week. I'm going through Ys 8 (also Falcom) right now, and it's mostly been exactly what you described. To my surprise they did introduce Silvia, a retired gladiator, and I was discussing with my partner how rare it is to see older women in games. If you exclude alternately-aging races and people who were made to look younger through magic, you can probably count the older ladies on one hand.

In a better world, Uncharted 4 would have been Nathan and Elena going on one final journey together. Then again, as Druckmann has said in at least one interview he doesn't consider himself to be good at writing romance.
Elena and Nathan going on a journey together would have done a lot to alleviate my sour impression of their relationship. I know Uncharted games take a lot of inspiration of old adventure stories, but constantly ditching and deceiving Elena throughout the series has big "ball and chain" energy, and feels super dated. She can hold her own and the only reason why she doesn't want to join Drake is because the writers choose her to to reject any call to adventure. If they really wanted to find reasons for her to not tag along, they could have done countless other things than thrust her in the the nag wife role trope time and again, and have her constantly disrespected like that. Dina suffers from this a bit too, but at least TLoU2's writing and direction is a little clearer that Ellie is is in the wrong and that this dynamic has consequences.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
playing through the modern fallouts and bethesda stop relying on the sad man with dead wife trope. like you're allowed to use other backstories for ur characters i promise

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I read that he drew the cockpit views and that's about it, which is fitting considering outside of Ms. Morimura it's pretty much the only thing in the game that's gross, visually. From what I've seen so far, at least. I believe two women did the rest of the art direction.

Ms. Morimura is absolutely terrible though, every time she's on screen I want to roll my eyes so hard they fall out. It's especially silly when she's wearing her ridiculous cat suit in the middle of 1985 Japan.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
playing through the modern fallouts and bethesda stop relying on the sad man with dead wife trope. like you're allowed to use other backstories for ur characters i promise
Fallout 4 also may had only starred said sad man too, until it was leaked out and everyone dunked it. Haven't seen it myself, but the launch version also had notes that only used male/he/him/his for your character

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Also, ship teasing Yuki Takamiya (with the long skirt and ponytail) and Natsuno only to drop the reveal midway through that Adult!Natsuno is Adult!Yuki's daughter felt a little unfair. Especially since after that, Yuki quickly becomes more relevant as Shu's romantic interest. Although I just recently hit a point that suggests there was maybe a thing between Adult!Yuki and Adult!Fuyusaki... (Backed up by a battle mode convo they have, too.)
Hearing a yuri ship involving Yuki gets shotdown in such a manner is both weird and unfortunate. So there's subtext that Yuki and Iori are a thing as adults? Or is more hinting at a fling? Yuki is my main draw to the game and I will definitely be shipping her with the most viable girl.
Elena and Nathan going on a journey together would have done a lot to alleviate my sour impression of their relationship. I know Uncharted games take a lot of inspiration of old adventure stories, but constantly ditching and deceiving Elena throughout the series has big "ball and chain" energy, and feels super dated. She can hold her own and the only reason why she doesn't want to join Drake is because the writers choose her to to reject any call to adventure. If they really wanted to find reasons for her to not tag along, they could have done countless other things than thrust her in the the nag wife role trope time and again, and have her constantly disrespected like that.
I don't think that's a good read on Elena's role throughout the series. Nate is self-sabotaging when it comes to his romantic relationships, which I think is established in Among Thieves. Chloe very clearly loves/loved Nate and he fucked that up long before meeting Elena who he then fucks things up with. I think Amy Hennig really wanted Nate to come across as a man with commitment issues among his many other flaws.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying my time with genshin impact. Most of the female cast have good clothing with very little upskirt chances but their boob jiggle, even when it armor looking clothing.

That reminds me that in Nioh 2 they never fixed one of the armors for female characters. So in that game, they do a fairly good job that about 99% or so of outfits are pretty much the same between male and female characters. So all the heavy armor sets look like really bulky armor even on female characters.

There's one armor set that has jiggle physics and pretty sure it's a bug because it legit causes ever so subtle but notable clipping if you know where to look. You typically aren't playing facing from the front so you might never even notice it.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I went on the website for the upcoming Nier Replicant remaster/remake and actually looked at the character descriptions.

OWyH5y8.png

9bZBvYe.gif

Nothing here is anything "new", all facts established in-game and through supplementary materials for the original version of Nier.
Ah, goody. So she doesn't even dress like that by choice. I thought Yoko Taro had the reputation of not bothering with nonsense to justify this shit. I don't know why male writers think these laboured lore reasons make things better in general. All this explanation does is make me think she should shave her head and not bother with the babydoll dress, but I guess that might spoil the horny mystique.

I don't think that's a good read on Elena's role throughout the series. Nate is self-sabotaging when it comes to his romantic relationships, which I think is established in Among Thieves. Chloe very clearly loves/loved Nate and he fucked that up long before meeting Elena who he then fucks things up with. I think Amy Hennig really wanted Nate to come across as a man with commitment issues among his many other flaws.
I don't have any beef with Elena as a character. She's mostly great. I was specifically talking about their relationship. You can tell it wasn't what they were going for in the first two games. She served more as the spunky will-they-don't-they love interest that calls out the pulpy adventure serial protagonist, and it worked well. Drake's Deception framed her as the person who don't want Drake to have adventures any longer, and even cite it as the reason why they split up. Not too bad on its own, but it did make me pay attention to the pattern of Elena being ditched. Then Thief's End rolled around and leaned into this aspect even harder, and stressed how it's still an issue. We even got some Sad Nathan scenes where you're intended to feel sorry for him because he's not allowed to make Uncharted games happen. Dipping into that well multiple times soured me on their dynamic pretty hard. The protagonist being self-sabotaging and disrespectful in his relationships is a natural part of this worn ball-and-chain-fun-police trope, and they never suffer any consequences, because you're expected to root for them. I even have trouble buying the epilogue, because of this cycle of Nate going behind her back, him getting told off, and her taking him back. Are we expected to think this cycle didn't repeat between the ending and the epilogue, or after? Cassie finds stuff that hints that they went on more adventures, but it remains to be seen how many Elena was actually invited on. Bleh.

Fair point on bringing up Hennig though, since I don't know what her level of involvement was in the fourth game. That's the main culprit of why I feel this way, and she left the studio mid-development if I recall.

Jun 13, 2020
Ah, goody. So she doesn't even dress like that by choice. I thought Yoko Taro had the reputation of not bothering with nonsense to justify this shit. I don't know why male writers think these laboured lore reasons make things better in general. All this explanation does is make me think she should shave her head and not bother with the babydoll dress, but I guess that might spoil the horny mystique.

I don't have any beef with Elena as a character. She's mostly great. I was specifically talking about their relationship. You can tell it wasn't what they were going for in the first two games. She served more as the spunky will-they-don't-they love interest that calls out the pulpy adventure serial protagonist, and it worked well. Drake's Deception framed her as the person who don't want Drake to have adventures any longer, and even cite it as the reason why they split up. Not too bad on its own, but it did make me pay attention to the pattern of Elena being ditched. Then Thief's End rolled around and leaned into this aspect even harder, and stressed how it's still an issue. We even got some Sad Nathan scenes where you're intended to feel sorry for him because he's not allowed to make Uncharted games happen. Dipping into that well multiple times soured me on their dynamic pretty hard. The protagonist being self-sabotaging and disrespectful in his relationships is a natural part of this worn ball-and-chain-fun-police trope, and they never suffer any consequences, because you're expected to root for them. I even have trouble buying the epilogue, because of this cycle of Nate going behind her back, him getting told off, and her taking him back. Are we expected to think this cycle didn't repeat between the ending and the epilogue, or after? Cassie finds stuff that hints that they went on more adventures, but it remains to be seen how many Elena was actually invited on. Bleh.

Fair point on bringing up Hennig though, since I don't know what her level of involvement was in the fourth game. That's the main culprit of why I feel this way, and she left the studio mid-development if I recall.
So let's say she needs to show skin, how the fuck does that explain THAT outfit? She's wearing a lingerie set that's been torn apart. Shit, at least Quiet was just in a bikini. Anyway yes, the fact that Yoko Taro is not held to the same standards as other Japanese devs is absurd. Kaine and Quiet are literally on the same level of stupidity. People give him a pass because he said something along the lines of "I just like hot girls". Even though people conveniently forget that Kojima also said similar things about Quiet before he said that dumb phrase (which deserves ridicule of course).

That reminds me that in Nioh 2 they never fixed one of the armors for female characters. So in that game, they do a fairly good job that about 99% or so of outfits are pretty much the same between male and female characters. So all the heavy armor sets look like really bulky armor even on female characters.

There's one armor set that has jiggle physics and pretty sure it's a bug because it legit causes ever so subtle but notable clipping if you know where to look. You typically aren't playing facing from the front so you might never even notice it.
Yeah, in that case that sounds like a bug where Impact is very deliberate. Granted you have to be looking at the character up close to see it and most of the time the camera is pulled back and it isn't very aggressive bounce. Still, they should had not have jiggle at all.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
So let's say she needs to show skin, how the fuck does that explain THAT outfit? She's wearing a lingerie set that's been torn apart. Shit, at least Quiet was just in a bikini. Anyway yes, the fact that Yoko Taro is not held to the same standards as other Japanese devs is absurd. Kaine and Quiet are literally on the same level of stupidity. People give him a pass because he said something along the lines of "I just like hot girls". Even though people conveniently forget that Kojima also said similar things about Quiet before he said that dumb phrase (which deserves ridicule of course).
People give Kaine somewhat of a pass because even though most or a lot of people react to her with a "what in the actual fuck kind of outfit is she running around in?!?", she's actually a pretty fun character to have around in terms of personality & interactions with the rest of the cast. Having followed some streamers play through the game the first time, people generally warm up to her after the initial shock and/or eye-rolls are past. Her outfit is dumb and lore background problematic, but if you only play the game (I don't remember if her background is brought up with those... details) & can stomach the outfit, a lot of people find her tolerable thanks to her character (of course with a completely valid YMMV disclaimer here).

vs. Quiet who is basically nothing but a sex doll who doesn't even speak & is only there to be oggled at (& off-screen help during missions), and even has an out of nowhere striptease show during the game that is just the ultimate example of male gaze-y framing. Even Michael Bay would blush if he was filming that scene for some Bayformers.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
'She's crude and eats a lot' written as a character's flaws is ridiculous too. It's like, this is an insanely complex character background and a ton of shitty lore justifying some horndog design but what's the real problem here is that a busy young combatant likes to eat and swears a lot. So like every soldier, ever then.

I don't think they're meant to be character flaws; sweating is one of her most memorable and endearing traits, and nobody in-game ever expresses having a problem with it (on the contrary, she's one of the most beloved characters by everyone). It's just that randomly yelling e.g. "I'll rip out your teeth and shove them up your asshole" is something you're probably more likely to expect from the grizzled, scarred, edgelord-looking main character in the cover (which is actually a kind, compassionate dad) than from underdressed anime doll-faced girl #43874. It's just Yoko Taro trying to subvert tropes, conventions and expectations, as usual.

Her obnoxiously ridiculous outfit and it's awful justification, on the other hand... yeah. Much like Kamitani, I've kind of given up hope on him ever changing at this point, unless Japanese media as a whole starts becoming more aware of sexist tropes like Western media has in the past couple of decades.

Jun 13, 2020
People give Kaine somewhat of a pass because even though most or a lot of people react to her with a "what in the actual fuck kind of outfit is she running around in?!?", she's actually a pretty fun character to have around in terms of personality & interactions with the rest of the cast. Having followed some streamers play through the game the first time, people generally warm up to her after the initial shock and/or eye-rolls are past. Her outfit is dumb and lore background problematic, but if you only play the game (I don't remember if her background is brought up with those... details) & can stomach the outfit, a lot of people find her tolerable thanks to her character (of course with a completely valid YMMV disclaimer here).

vs. Quiet who is basically nothing but a sex doll who doesn't even speak & is only there to be oggled at (& off-screen help during missions), and even has an out of nowhere striptease show during the game that is just the ultimate example of male gaze-y framing. Even Michael Bay would blush if he was filming that scene for some Bayformers.
I don't think that whether the character is well written should have anything to do with this. The point is, both of them did the same exact thing. They took a character that was supposed to be endearing but undermined them by giving them a dumb outfit, but while one got shit for it (and I personally think that he took that criticism to heart even though he doesn't want to admit it), the other one is almost seen as a progressive in female representation because "he tells it how it is". Even though Kojima did say that the character was supposed to be a "sexy sniper" and encourage cosplay, before everyone forgot he said those things after his "words and deeds" nonsense. There's a huge double standard here, just imagine if a character in Death Stranding looked exactly like Kaine and how people would have reacted to it (rightfully so). Even Quiet didn't look nearly as ridiculous and that's a low bar.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that whether the character is well written should have anything to do with this. The point is, both of them did the same exact thing. They took a character that was supposed to be endearing but undermined them by giving them a dumb outfit, but while one got shit for it (and I personally think that he took that criticism to heart even though he doesn't want to admit it), the other one is almost seen as a progressive in female representation because "he tells it how it is". Even though Kojima did say that the character was supposed to be a "sexy sniper" and encourage cosplay, before everyone forgot he said those things after his "words and deeds" nonsense. There's a huge double standard here, just imagine if a character in Death Stranding looked exactly like Kaine and how people would have reacted to it (rightfully so). Even Quiet didn't look nearly as ridiculous and that's a low bar.
Yeah but, again, it's not all that unfathomable that the characters' treatment in the actual games they are in will colour people's opinions. Kaine's backstory explaining her outfit might be as dumb as Quiet's, but ultimately, other than dressing in such a way, there's something more to her character. Kaine doesn't give the player virtual lap-dances in first person mode during loading screens and rain doesn't inspire a sexual dance to a whole military/mercenary compound. She has at least a little bit of agency & other function in the story than just titillation.

And I doubt anyone (worth listening to, usual pundits need not apply) actually thinks Yoko Taro is anywhere near progressive (at least as far as female/non-male representation goes). At best (worst?) some give him some points for honesty, but generally those kinds of people are not the kind who'd let the Kaines & Quiets of the video gaming world stop them from playing anything.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
I went on the website for the upcoming Nier Replicant remaster/remake and actually looked at the character descriptions.

OWyH5y8.png

9bZBvYe.gif

Nothing here is anything "new", all facts established in-game and through supplementary materials for the original version of Nier.

Oh noooo, they Kojima'd the reason for her ridiculous outfit.
Also why change her description from intersex to hermaphrodite? That such an unnecessary revision.
There's such a clash between how the in-game writing and the devs/marketing treats her.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a difference between intersex and hermaphrodite? I'd google, but I'm at work, and this doesn't seem like a SWF thing to look for.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The boob jiggle in Genshin Impact is so awful -- like it's obviously not the most extreme or in your face example by any means, but the boobs jiggle separately from each other and it looks so bad lmao. Like, a character will just be standing there breathing and one boob will move up a little while the other will move down a little and I just fjdkas;flfd
In a game that's amazing (by anime standards) otherwise it's just like why?! And also, have you ever looked at a real woman before???? Because I promise you that is not how it works lol

At least you don't see it when you're as the characters since you're staring at their backs the entire time but ugghh. It's like my one major complaint about the game.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a difference between intersex and hermaphrodite? I'd google, but I'm at work, and this doesn't seem like a SWF thing to look for.
Intersex is the proper, humane term to use. I'm just going to link an intersex advocacy group for further information.

What is intersex? | Intersex Society of North America

Intersex is a general term used for a variety of conditions in which a person is born with a reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn’t seem to fit the typical definitions of female or male. For example, a person might be born appearing to be female on the outside, but having mostly...

Is a person who is intersex a hermaphrodite? | Intersex Society of North America

No. The mythological term “hermaphrodite” implies that a person is both fully male and fully female. This is a physiologic impossibility.

AliceAbstract

Oct 27, 2017
Hearing a yuri ship involving Yuki gets shotdown in such a manner is both weird and unfortunate. So there's subtext that Yuki and Iori are a thing as adults? Or is more hinting at a fling? Yuki is my main draw to the game and I will definitely be shipping her with the most viable girl.
Probably more of a fling? Adult (well, actually...it's complicated) Yuki says some dismissive things about her off-screen ex-husband at one point, and then there's a later scene where she's working closely with Adult!Fuyusaki, which is followed by a comment from another character which I, at least, read as hinting there was something more between them than just a work partnership.

Considering teenage Fuyusaki has a corresponding "Oh no! What is my heart doing?!" scene in RTS mode after Yuki helps her after she trips, I think it leans towards that interpretation.

Yuki's amazing. Tomi's great too, and I even came around on Ryoko at the end, because her story seems to be something of a metaphor for throwing off a bad relationship and salvaging the pieces while you're still messed up over it. But I was pretty deep into RTS mode when I got some of the reveals about her, so I'm not sure I'm reading her character completely right.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Intersex is the proper, humane term to use. I'm just going to link an intersex advocacy group for further information.

What is intersex? | Intersex Society of North America

Intersex is a general term used for a variety of conditions in which a person is born with a reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn’t seem to fit the typical definitions of female or male. For example, a person might be born appearing to be female on the outside, but having mostly...

Is a person who is intersex a hermaphrodite? | Intersex Society of North America

No. The mythological term “hermaphrodite” implies that a person is both fully male and fully female. This is a physiologic impossibility.
Thank you very much for your help.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
So it's almost Halloween time. This year I'm choosing Remothered. I don't know a huge amount about it but it does have a fairly well designed middle aged woman which seems pretty rare! I think it's set in the 70s?

_2333303b.jpg