• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The disconnect between her role in the story and what she can do on the battlefield is going to be awkward.
*Cutscene plays*

"Oh no! I'm surrounded? Link, save me! Where are you link! Urbosa, Link, anyone?! There's *pant pant" to many I-I..

*Gameplay starts*

"...WILL KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM"

*Cutscene starts again with Link coming to the rescue as if she hasn't been murdering the shit out of these Bokoblins for 20 minutes straight in gameplay*

Edit: Although to be fair, she should be turning into a powerful force story-wise as well near the end of the game when she finally awakens her powers.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What an awful Impa. Looking near exactly like that stupid character from the original whose thing was being horny for Link and introduced running from enemies and being clumsy. Save me Urbosa.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Hresvelg

Feb 22, 2020
What an awful Impa. Looking near exactly like that stupid character from the original whose thing was being horny for Link and introduced running from enemies and being clumsy. Save me Urbosa.

The amount of people that are being defensive of this baffling design decision in the other thread... I'm so tired

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm confused by the sheer hatred of Impa. I didn't like her first scene either and I get that but what's with all the "She's awful because she looks like her descendant"? Her looking like Pyra was the thing I was expecting most of all. I was hoping for a better introduction to her character and that first scene is groan worthy but what's so awful of her looking like Pyra?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The amount of people that are being defensive of this baffling design decision in the other thread... I'm so tired
The one from BOTW was pure otaku bait where her most defining personality traits were "I have a crush on Link" and "my birthmark is on my butt" so it's to be expected that people, men who that character appeals to specifically, would be defensive over the 2.0 version of that character. As sad as that is.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
but what's so awful of her looking like Pyra
Well, for me it's just a lazy design that reminds me of that awful character. And her intro doesn't give confidence to what to expect in her cutscenes. She could of at least been given a unique shape for her face considering what she look like old, but no gotta find a way to make Pyra playable and make sense in the story. But I know it her appearance would be this too, when I saw the screenshot showing her back.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, for me it's just a lazy design that reminds me of that awful character. And her intro doesn't give confidence to what to expect in her cutscenes. She could of at least been given a unique shape for her face considering what she look like old, but no gotta find a way to make Pyra playable and make sense in the story. But I know it her appearance would be this too, when I saw the screenshot showing her back.

I mean, really it's just the first cutscene we see that's bad. In gameplay and the short other cut scene we see of her, she's lacking any cutesey accidental stereotype. I was initially worried that her moveset would be like her "accidentally" killing enemies while tripping or some bullshit like that, but her moveset is very serious in comparison. I'm really hoping that first cutscene is just a fluke (in which case it is bad that that's the first time we see her) and that Impa is actual a serious character in cutscenes.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
hot take but 4 sucks. 1-3 and lost legacy are awesome. especially lost legacy bc chloe and nadine are awesome and gay, despite the problems with the voice actors. you don't need to play the main games to enjoy and understand lost legacy so tbh, i'd dive right into that one.
I'd offer the more tepid recommendation than Persephone and say that 3 is also bad, but 1 and 2 are really good. 1 will probably feel a bit dated by now but its still a good time, 2 is one of the best cover shooters of the last generation and has a fun story with really good characters.

Lost legacy doesn't really need 4.
I need to replay 4 to reassess but 3 is the weakest link. I'd say 1 is but it introduces Elena and is essential.

I've slept on The Lost Legacy for too long. T_T

Lost Legacy is AWESOME! It's the best Uncharted! (Nadine! Chloe!) SapphiCine, I suspect you will love it.

But why are you talking shit about 4? It's great!!

I would rank them like so, from "awesome" to "tolerable":

Lost Legacy – 4 – 2 – 1 – 3

Last edited:

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
My personal ranking would probably be Lost Legacy - 4 - 2 - 3 - 1.
I'm a huge Chlodine shipper (it's literally the name of one of my external hard drives), so yeah, it automatically boosts Lost Legacy above the rest, I just can't resist such pairing!

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Xaszatm you have way more faith that I do.haha And I love the Zelda series, but after BoTW I can't have my hopes up. There's no way a design like Impa is going to be a serious character. Every one is going to have crazy moves if they are playbe so that means nothing. The only serious female character will be Urbosa if they are only using characters from the original game.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xaszatm you have way more faith that I do.haha And I love the Zelda series, but after BoTW I can't have my hopes up. There's no way a design like Impa is going to be a serious character. Every one is going to have crazy moves if they are playbe so that means nothing. The only serious female character will be Urbosa if they are only using characters from the original game.

I'm still holding out hope for Punk-Rock Purah, honestly. Though that's not serious either at least that would be fun.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Lost Legacy is AWESOME! It's the best Uncharted! (Nadine! Chloe!) SapphiCine, I suspect you will love it.

I would rank them like so, from "awesome" to "tolerable":

Yeah, probably will love it and ship the hell out of them. I played through the whole mainline series in the span of a week or two, and then was kind of burned out when my order of Lost Legacy arrived. It's been sitting in my backlog for two years. T_T

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, probably will love it and ship the hell out of them. I played through the whole mainline series in the span of a week or two, and then was kind of burned out when my order of Lost Legacy arrived. It's been sitting in my backlog for two years. T_T

I would recommend playing against any series in a short span of time like that. I've been playing almost nothing but GoW games for about a month and I'm crying from the fact that I am almost done with them (sans GoW2018, but that's actually a different game, so...). By the time I gone through the main trilogy, PSP games that were a measily 6 hours each both legit felt 10 hours long.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I would recommend playing against any series in a short span of time like that. I've been playing almost nothing but GoW games for about a month and I'm crying from the fact that I am almost done with them (sans GoW2018, but that's actually a different game, so...). By the time I gone through the main trilogy, PSP games that were a measily 6 hours each both legit felt 10 hours long.
Yeah but God of War is bad and I still don't know why you put yourself through that

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
On the subject, I wonder where the "traditional" kunoichi/female ninja outfit comes from that I tend to see in Japanese games based in the feudal era. Y'know, the earth-colored vest, short skirt-like bottom, leggings that look like a mummy wrap cloth or whatever, etc.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
hot take but 4 sucks. 1-3 and lost legacy are awesome. especially lost legacy bc chloe and nadine are awesome and gay, despite the problems with the voice actors. you don't need to play the main games to enjoy and understand lost legacy so tbh, i'd dive right into that one.

I love Chloe. I have a strong, STRONG distaste for Nadine. The game just expects you to forget her war crimes and pal around with a South African mercenary CEO. Fuck Nadine, forever! I still can't believe she survives UC4 but Rafe gets got.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sony have been censoring 'fanservice' content for a while now due to an internal policy change. They're making alterations to games that are releasing unaltered on Switch and other platforms. But this is the most amusing example yet:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

My personal ranking would probably be Lost Legacy - 4 - 2 - 3 - 1.
Man I gotta replay the Uncharted sequels again but on harder difficulties, I already beaten Uncharted 1 3 times, on Normal, Crushing and Brutal, and for the love of god do not play on Brutal, it's not made for these games.

Sony have been censoring 'fanservice' content for a while now due to an internal policy change. They're making alterations to games that are releasing unaltered on Switch and other platforms. But this is the most amusing example yet:

They may as well change the whole outfit. It feels so petty on the pub/devs to really stick to this awful outfit as if it something so great that they change go back to square one on it.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Me seeing people in this thread saying Pyra instead of Paya
91a.jpg

I really didn't get a chance to see a lot of the stream footage. On one hand I'm disappointed we're not getting an SS/HW based Impa but BOTW said Paya was the spitting image of young Impa, so I can't really hate them for their consistency. I'm with Xaszatm I remain hopeful for some cool characters.

I'm just super grateful we're not getting anything like Cia or Lana *knock on wood*. Those characters really stuck out like a sore thumb in Zelda canon and "Paya" is incredibly tame in comparison.

Aug 26, 2018
日本

This might be just for the trailer. I remember there being some extra rules in America about promotions being too lascivious, but the in-game content will still be the same. But the only example I can think of off the top of my head was from a decade ago.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This might be just for the trailer. I remember there being some extra rules in America about promotions being too lascivious, but the in-game content will still be the same. But the only example I can think of off the top of my head was from a decade ago.
Maybe. Sony seem to have a thing about arse shots though - they altered a bit of Devil May Cry V on PS4 with a light ray iirc.

Anyway, personally I don't think this solves anything - they're still platforming the same content, they're just adding odd censorship that actually counterintuitively draws attention to said content.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Are you hateplaying the whole series?
1. Yes, but slightly no. I specifically hate (or hated in the past) Kratos the character. I would also say I mostly hate the story, it's really, really poorly written. But the games themselves are more fine. Like, the actual combat pales in comparison to my true action loves, DMC and NG and Bayonetta, but it's acceptable and even verging on good at times depending on the game. And I have have absolutely nothing bad to say about the art direction of most of the games, the visualizations of the mythological creatures, characters and locations is genuinely really good.

2. I'm revisiting the series to write a character analysis on Kratos to hopefully start a youtube video essay series. Part of that is refreshing my memory on the game's storylines so I have my details in order and part of that is keeping a close eye to how Kratos of the Greek Era was compared to Kratos of the Norse Era. I also wanted to dip my toes into streaming, which I've been doing.

3. I also wanted to see if my feelings would have changed. You don't know this unless you know me personally, but I actually am philosophically opposed to hating fictional characters and generally don't participate in the tomato throwing of any character, including ones deliberately written to be unlikable. In my view, characters are either well written, in which case you understand their actions even if you disagree or dislike them, so hating them for acting true to themselves is besides the point in fiction or they are badly written, in which case I tend to target my ire towards the writers. I only have two major exceptions to this where I dislike the characters themselves and Kratos is one of those. But that was me from, like, 10+ years ago, and I wanted to see if because of my growth, I'd come to regard Kratos differently. To some extent, I did.

Last edited:

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Kunimitsu looks pretty dope in Tekken 7, no?
She looks cool but seeing as she's Kunimitsus daughter it just continues Tekken tradition of retiring woman when they're above the age of 40 with a younger version. Jun to Asuka, Michelle to Julia, Nina and Anna were cryogenically frozen so that they appear younger than they are, and kazumi is like a ghost or some shit. We can have Hehachi, Wang, Baek, jinpachi, and Leroy but god forbid they let us play as a 40 year old Kunimitsu. We can replace middle aged woman but keeping pedophiles like Ganryu in is a OK!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, that is unfortunate. But at least it's a good costume design. I was expecting them to waifu her up a lot more, given her mother's TTT2 appearance (and the ridiculous promo pictures with the watermelon "gag").

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
That new Zelda Warrior game is already looking to have a pretty large cast of women playable eh? We've got Impa, multiple Gerudo's it looks like, Zelda, whoever that Paya person is (I never played BOTW). Have they said how large the cast is going to be? Its nice to see women making up potentially a large percent of the initial cast.

4 plays very well, but I hated the slower open sections. Like that part where you drive around in the car, and that part in the boat with the islands. It slowed the pace of the game too much while adding nothing of meaning to the game for me. They obviously learned how to make that stuff better, you can see the progression in quality from uncharted 4's open sections, to lost legacy, to that open section at the start of seattle day 1 in TLOU2.

Narratively, I just hated Sam and I hated that we retconned this brother I didn't care about into existence. I hated that it was the last uncharted game (at least by naughty dog), and we spent so much of the game dealing with Nate's relationship with a new character made up just for this game.

I do think Rafe was a very good villain though, the best villain the uncharted games had. His whole monologue during the final fight is very good.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I went on the website for the upcoming Nier Replicant remaster/remake and actually looked at the character descriptions.

OWyH5y8.png

9bZBvYe.gif

Nothing here is anything "new", all facts established in-game and through supplementary materials for the original version of Nier.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I went on the website for the upcoming Nier Replicant remaster/remake and actually looked at the character descriptions.

OWyH5y8.png

9bZBvYe.gif

Nothing here is anything "new", all facts established in-game and through supplementary materials for the original version of Nier.
I swear those last couple of sentences you can tell they're really going for this "*gasp* So Unladylike!" type of reaction.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
The first NieR is number 5 all time game for me but I wish it didn't undermine itself.

Like, yeah she's possessed and they way the game deals with that is interesting. And the broad plot details from Grimoire Nier that detail the time between Drakengard ending E and the time NieR takes place are interesting as well.

And that explanation is totally half good, yeah Shades hate light but it didn't need to go to "and thus, lingerie"

At least character wise Kaine is a fun edgelord and her themes are gorgeous.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The first NieR is number 5 all time game for me but I wish it didn't undermine itself.

Like, yeah she's possessed and they way the game deals with that is interesting. And the broad plot details from Grimoire Nier that detail the time between Drakengard ending E and the time NieR takes place are interesting as well.

And that explanation is totally half good, yeah Shades hate light but it didn't need to go to "and thus, lingerie"

At least character wise Kaine is a fun edgelord and her themes are gorgeous.

Her theme is my favourite for sure. I was so sad I missed the silly music box SE had. ;_;

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Kaine's my favorite character in Nier for multiple reasons, so it's a shame that this remaster/remake/whatever-the-fuck can't smooth over issues it had a decade ago. FFS they are officially referring to her as a "hermaphordite" I don't think the PR for the first game did that. A lot of that character bio is unnecessary and better left established in the actual game. Minus the obvious.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
the reason i hate uncharted 4 is twofold: a) neil druckmann rubbing his pretentious auteur hands all over my fun pulpy adventure series and, more importantly, b) i will kill sam drake with my bare hands (and we sacrificed nate's beautiful relationship with sully for this asshole. puke). even lost legacy isn't free of this dickweed. like god forbid we have a game abt two women of colour that doesn't involve a white man somehow

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
the reason i hate uncharted 4 is twofold: a) neil druckmann rubbing his pretentious auteur hands all over my fun pulpy adventure series and, more importantly, b) i will kill sam drake with my bare hands (and we sacrificed nate's beautiful relationship with sully for this asshole. puke). even lost legacy isn't free of this dickweed. like god forbid we have a game abt two women of colour that doesn't involve a white man somehow

My personal headcanon is that Uncharted 3 ends and leads directly into the Uncharted 4 epilogue. I genuinely don't think you lose much by doing that, besides Nadine.

I really do need to play Lost Legacy one of these days, though. UC4 kinda soured me on the franchise.

That new Zelda Warrior game is already looking to have a pretty large cast of women playable eh? We've got Impa, multiple Gerudo's it looks like, Zelda, whoever that Paya person is (I never played BOTW). Have they said how large the cast is going to be? Its nice to see women making up potentially a large percent of the initial cast.

I think at this point the game is skewed with one more female characters - Zelda, Impa, Urbosa, and Mipha, versus Link, Daruk, and Revali. The other Gerudo you see in the trailers are generic soldiers that'll be on your side in the fights.

There aren't that many other established characters that could tip the scale in men's favor, either, there's basically just the King. For women there's the potential for Purah, the Great Fairies, and I wouldn't be surprised if we got a member of Urbosa's royal guard that looks like Buliara -

latest

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
That's unfortunate he shows up in Lost Legacy. Guess they really wanted to reuse the character model and everything. I kind of figure Druckmann's favoritism for Troy Baker after TLOU is probably why Sam Drake came into existence. (I figure Druckmann knew Baker wouldn't have a large role in TLOUII and thus wanted this opportunity to work with him fully.)

In a better world, Uncharted 4 would have been Nathan and Elena going on one final journey together. Then again, as Druckmann has said in at least one interview he doesn't consider himself to be good at writing romance.

Feb 24, 2018
Why are fighting games and Bandai Namco fighting games especially so against depicting women over 30 as fighters (and no, characters that were cryogenically frozen so their "technically" older while still looking like their in their 20s doesn't count)? It's just kind of depressing to see that trend yet their are tons of older men available.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Why are fighting games and Bandai Namco fighting games especially so against depicting women over 30 as fighters (and no, characters that were cryogenically frozen so their "technically" older while still looking like their in their 20s doesn't count)? It's just kind of depressing to see that trend yet their are tons of older men available.
A lot of female characters exist primarily for their sex appeal. Older women are considered to have less sex appeal so there's no reason to keep them over younger counterparts. This is one of the main problems of male characters being the default so there needs to be some sort of reason to make any particular character female.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
A lot of female characters exist primarily for their sex appeal. Older women are considered to have less sex appeal so there's no reason to keep them over younger counterparts. This is one of the main problems of male characters being the default so there needs to be some sort of reason to make any particular character female.
I'd say the same thing happens to JRPGs for related reasons. Even with a massive cast like Trails of Cold Steel, where you get a huge number of female characters, they are still largely and conveniently all teenagers or in their early 20s having been built out of the standard templated kit for what female characters are allowed to look like. Middle-aged guys can be renowned generals, soldiers and martial artists while having aged, and with that age often used (but not always, because male characters are allowed to have a full normal range of abilities, strengths and weaknesses regardless of their age) as a signifier of experience and presence, but powerful female characters pretty much resort to 'incredibly powerful even though visably very young'. Which is then related to the 'thousand year old dragon' thing. There's no issue in a male character being older, or a male-coded supernatural/artificial creature looking older, to convey experience, wisdom, age, scars, background information, that kind of thing. But female characters that are powerful arent allowed to have aged in order to do so or to have stepped outside the template. They've either peaked very young (leading to 'our senior officer in this division is a teenage girl in combat lingerie') or are eternally that way (leading to 'thousand year old dragon') because heaven forbid a powerful female character not be visably young and objectified (and thus a harem/romance/fantasy girlfriend option for the perceived male player) by default first. That's then how we get into dumb and gross Persona shit and 'you can comfort/romance your female doctor/teacher because even though they are adult professionals with years of training and their career on the line, women in their 20s are still in the 'waifu' bracket and thus your peer as a schoolkid , not an professional adult with a duty of care to your character that is an adolescent'. The whole thing is just gross and templated, with yet another side effect of making older women invisible and minimising their own skills and experience as irrelevant.

Last edited: