• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this might be a good place to ask this question. Let me know if it's not.

My niece and nephew love action figures and figurine toys, but the only girl/women/female ones I can seem to find are either Zelda Amibos, which are fine, and hyper-sexualized anime ladies. It's not exactly a wide variety. Can anybody recommend some figures that I can buy for them? I have plenty of monster/male options, but anything outside of that is just difficult for me to find.

I mean, it depends on what they like and how much you're willing to spend.

Nendoroids are adorable and tend to not be sexualized, but they're pricy. They are however like Funko Pops in that a lot of franchises have a Nendoroid. https://goodsmileshop.com/en/CATEGORY-ROOT/Nendoroid/c/133 that link is just a small listing of what they have, but it gives a good idea of what they're like.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
87675830-220309906037076-3905252254302601216-n.png

really enjoy the main character's design in 'going under'. in the game she looks particularly strong too, really big arms. it's great!

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this might be a good place to ask this question. Let me know if it's not.

My niece and nephew love action figures and figurine toys, but the only girl/women/female ones I can seem to find are either Zelda Amibos, which are fine, and hyper-sexualized anime ladies. It's not exactly a wide variety. Can anybody recommend some figures that I can buy for them? I have plenty of monster/male options, but anything outside of that is just difficult for me to find.

Are they only into anime stuff? There's of course stuff like Marvel and Star Wars toys. I don't follow toy merch but from the ones I pass in the store, they seem fine.

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it depends on what they like and how much you're willing to spend.

Nendoroids are adorable and tend to not be sexualized, but they're pricy. They are however like Funko Pops in that a lot of franchises have a Nendoroid. https://goodsmileshop.com/en/CATEGORY-ROOT/Nendoroid/c/133 that link is just a small listing of what they have, but it gives a good idea of what they're like.
How cute! Thank you for the suggestion! Some of that would actually work really well and is perfect for them!

Are they only into anime stuff? There's of course stuff like Marvel and Star Wars toys. I don't follow toy merch but from the ones I pass in the store, they seem fine.
There into anything cartoony. My niece is super into Pokémon, at least right now. She really likes anime and doesn't understand why I won't let her watch some of the stuff on Netflix, but I'm pretty selective in what I let her watch until I've watched it, and honestly I don't have a ton of time to watch stuff in advance and the last thing I want is something to slip though that's your stereotypical 5000 year old dragon nonsense.

I'm definitely not pushing anime on them, it's lot of what she likes is just from watching me play video games what she was younger. She's six, so she's finally at the age where she can start playing games and actually understanding what's on the screen. So, I'm trying to be a cool uncle. I can, generally, figure out the gaming stuff. It's the shows and toys I get lost on.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Yeah, it's all about the source designs but Marvel Legends has a ton of female characters, as does the Power Rangers Lightning line. The recent Gamerverse wave, for instance, had a video-game Kamala Khan (it comes with a gigantic BAF Abomination body but you can probably just ignore that). If she's not familiar with the character and you don't have the comic books, Disney + has a few miniseries/short features called Secret Warriors that features her, Squirrel Girl, Quake (from Agents of Shield), America Chavez, Spider-Gwen/ghost spider among others. There was a line of dolls but those are gone by now.

DC Super Hero Girls had an action figure line for kids but that was a while ago. The new ones are basically dolls with big eyes. The Netflix She-ra also had a doll line but that was also blink-and-you-missed-it. As far as cartoons go both of those shows (available on Netflix US) are great, as is Steven Universe (HBO Max or Cartoon Network).

I saw your update above and there are Pokemon figmas and Nendoroids, some of which are available (in the US) at pokemoncenter.com (which is currently down or I'd have linked directly).

Last edited:

ImNotAFroot

Nov 6, 2017

How more many times am I going post the "Anime fans" video to their replies? Jesus Christ lol

Last edited:

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I'm still conflicted if I want to play Nier Replicant or not. I rmb reading the LP for the original game but IDR much other than the fishing game.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I don't get the mindset of some of these creatives.

"I want to write a story about what it means to be human.

Also titties."

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
How cute! Thank you for the suggestion! Some of that would actually work really well and is perfect for them!

There into anything cartoony. My niece is super into Pokémon, at least right now. She really likes anime and doesn't understand why I won't let her watch some of the stuff on Netflix, but I'm pretty selective in what I let her watch until I've watched it, and honestly I don't have a ton of time to watch stuff in advance and the last thing I want is something to slip though that's your stereotypical 5000 year old dragon nonsense.

I'm definitely not pushing anime on them, it's lot of what she likes is just from watching me play video games what she was younger. She's six, so she's finally at the age where she can start playing games and actually understanding what's on the screen. So, I'm trying to be a cool uncle. I can, generally, figure out the gaming stuff. It's the shows and toys I get lost on.

Just a heads up that Nendoroids are meant more as display pieces than toys, they have a lot of small parts and can easily come apart. They're meant more to be posed than played with.

There are also looots of Pokémon toys but very few of the female trainers, which sucks. You can find plushes and toys of practically every Pokémon out there, though.

Jakks Pacific has a few more playable Nintendo toys, including a few female characters like Inkling Girl, Tetra, and Samus.

b5a451948baa921fcd1dca707e1a8a50.jpg

51HO1Z6IKIL.jpg

71d7hXpLjbL.jpg

Unfortunately toy manufacturers still fall into the "figures for boys, plushes for girls" mindset so more often than not you'll have a better shot at finding plushes of female characters than plastic figures.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I haven't played the game but reading that makes it seem even worse.
The reason is literally that she wants to feel hot?

It doesn't come up in the game.

Nier's first words after seeing her are "thats quite the outfit" then she tries to kill you for being in her house.

She has a playful relationship with Weiss where he makes fun of her outfit and she makes fun of him for being a stuffy old book.

She's a fun character despite appearances

Jun 13, 2020
Now I'm considering not playing the game at all. I don't see a situation where it doesn't end up like Quiet and take me out of the game every time she's on screen (while making it impossible to take the character seriously).

Jun 13, 2020
He pushes patriarchal, limiting views about women under a thin pretentious veneer
How so? Half of the characters (including preppers) are women, and they're either scientists, engineers or in some way pro-active in the story and world, and one is the president of the US. Did you play it? Where did you get that impression?

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Most anime figures are not great for children because they tend to be fragile, non-movable, and expensive things meant for display on adult fans' shelves.

The exceptions are anime meant for young children (early elementary school or younger), like Doraemon. But unless your niece/nephew speaks an Asian or Southeast Asian language, you probably will have issues watching most of them.

Two big exceptions:
1. Doraemon is on Disney and has an English dub. It has cute plushes and fun toys.
2. PreCure has English translations (though I think the dub lags behind). It has affordable figures.

Oct 25, 2017
The boner culture types who are new to NieR are in for a surprise/spoiler if and when they decide to image search Kaine with safesearch turned off.

Jun 13, 2020
It doesn't come up in the game.

Nier's first words after seeing her are "thats quite the outfit" then she tries to kill you for being in her house.

She has a playful relationship with Weiss where he makes fun of her outfit and she makes fun of him for being a stuffy old book.

She's a fun character despite appearances
But WHY does she have those appearances? Nobody forced Yoko Taro to have the character look like that, he didn't have to make a character that was good despite the laughable design. He decided to give the character that look. Like, if the next Batman features Bruce Wayne always wearing a Borat mankini and a Halloween mask instead of his Batman costume, it can be the best written Batman ever but I'm not gonna get over that.

Oct 25, 2017
Kaine's design isn't great but she is still one of my favorite characters in gaming.

Honestly what bugs me of her design is the high heels more than anything else.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One of the nicer statues SE has commissioned, but of course there had to be a dress less version:
But if you'd like something more affordable:

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only sane costumes in nier are devola and papola...
Don't ask me what papa nier is wearing on his head because he didn't loose his eye or get a scar there.
latest

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Most anime figures are not great for children because they tend to be fragile, non-movable, and expensive things meant for display on adult fans' shelves.

The exceptions are anime meant for young children (early elementary school or younger), like Doraemon. But unless your niece/nephew speaks an Asian or Southeast Asian language, you probably will have issues watching most of them.

Two big exceptions:
1. Doraemon is on Disney and has an English dub. It has cute plushes and fun toys.
2. PreCure has English translations (though I think the dub lags behind). It has affordable figures.

I don't think Doraemon is available anywhere dubbed anymore, at least not free. It did air on Disney XD but to my knowledge it's not up anywhere anymore.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm considering not playing the game at all. I don't see a situation where it doesn't end up like Quiet and take me out of the game every time she's on screen (while making it impossible to take the character seriously).
I stopped playing Tales of Vesperia for this reason, and I won't buy Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The designs are awful, both because they're sexist, and even with that aside they are just hideous all around.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I stopped playing Tales of Vesperia for this reason, and I won't buy Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The designs are awful, both because they're sexist, and even with that aside they are just hideous all around.

The former is at least generous with alternative outfits (and a few of Judith's outfits are great); the latter unfortunately not at all...unless you like some ugly ass brown cat-ear hoodie. Vesperia doesn't do much by way of "pervert camera" either....which is another strike against XC2. :/

I wish alternative costumes were an option more often. Maybe it won't stop the problem, but I'd rather that than no option at all.

(I also hate HOPING to "meet halfway", butt what can I say, JRPGs tend to resonate with me more) (Also the indie game scene, fortunately).

The only sane costumes in nier are devola and papola...
Don't ask me what papa nier is wearing on his head because he didn't loose his eye or get a scar there.
latest

I looove Papa NieR but goddang he's ugly (especially in-game).

EUSLiAoWkAANQal.png

I really don't get what's happening with young bro NieR's hairdo.

...fuckit, Emil's the best designed one lol

Last edited:

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I don't mean to make light of it. That's just another aspect of Kaine (which could have been handled more gracefully) that the usual suspects will probably complain about for all the wrong reasons.
Right, sorry for misinterpreting you intention. I don't think I'm looking forward to the people who won't complain but will use Kaine's renewed spotlight to go revive the shit with calling her a tr*p, and your post made me remember that.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I see stuff like "they are a great character despite their design", I kind of just glaze over that. A sexist awful design IS part of their character.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
So, I recently bought Injustice 2 on PC after playing it on console two years ago. It was, with MKX, the first big steps that NRS took towards less sexualised characters models like the old MK9 and INJ1 days.
In that game, you unlock parts of outfits with stats and everything and I just unlocked a new bodysuit for Supergirl and uh..

2020-09-25_01_18_39-InjusticeTM_2.png

Yikes ?

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017

If she likes Toy Story, Star Wars, Mickey&co, Marvel, Frozen, Zootopia, etc. check out the Disney Infinity line. They're typically about the same size/detail as an amiibo. Except the crystal figures which are hideous and overpriced, they're well designed and can be used in the games (3.0 is the best one by far and has local co op.) The popular ones like Elsa are probably getting up in price now, but there's always ebay

lol @ cameltoe being right above my wholesome post........

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing Y's 8...this would actually be a very good game if they toned down the tropes and just modernized the visual aspects of the female characters. I actually like the game a lot and find it fun, it's just some things are just distractions to me now. I like Laxia, but why can't she wear some pants or proper bottom armor or something? The top part isn't too bad but the lower half is her walking around in booty shorts and Laxia doesn't act like that type of person. Not to mention how she's introduced.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
So, I recently bought Injustice 2 on PC after playing it on console two years ago. It was, with MKX, the first big steps that NRS took towards less sexualised characters models like the old MK9 and INJ1 days.
In that game, you unlock parts of outfits with stats and everything and I just unlocked a new bodysuit for Supergirl and uh..

2020-09-25_01_18_39-InjusticeTM_2.png

Yikes ?
It's been a while since I last played this game but...wow.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
It's been a while since I last played this game but...wow.

I mean, I played this game for a while when it launched and I never saw this before. It's just this one particular bodysuit it looks like.
I think it was the last game that a supposed senior artist that kept pushing for sexualised design worked on. I remember reading that he was mad that they reduced Catwoman's breast size and removed the "very carefuly crafted" ass-seam he gave to Black Canary.
Since there is a lot of differents assets for each character, it's possible that it was one of his doing that flew under the radar ? I guess ? I hope ?
Anyway, big yikes.
Especially considering that she's a teenager.

Last edited: