• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just remember Koei-tecmo were the people who thought "Hey lets give a character the outfit they wore during a rape scene for a preorder bonus" -_- ..... I'm still confused how anyone thought that was a good idea in any way.
Oh god - I'd managed to forget about that. I found Berserk to be one of the most repugnant and misogynistic manga I've ever read because of the handling of Casca.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Just remember Koei-tecmo were the people who thought "Hey lets give a character the outfit they wore during a rape scene for a preorder bonus" -_- ..... I'm still confused how anyone thought that was a good idea in any way.

giphy.gif

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Souls fandom went off the deep end because Dark Souls intentionally marketed itself to inflate the ego's of people who play it. This game is so hard! Prepare to die! You're so tough and a real gamer for playing this game!

Demons' Souls, as I remember it anyway, just kind of came out and was a relatively tough game without all the fucking pomp in the marketing, and the (admittedly much smaller and niche) fandom for that game never had any of the toxicity you see from souls fans now.

I guess... but they would still be able to inflate their ego even if they allowed people with different types of impairments and disabilities to play and enjoy the games. The ego inflating feature of the Souls games would be left untouched!

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I guess... but they would still be able to inflate their ego even if they allowed people with different types of impairments and disabilities to play and enjoy the games. The ego inflating features of the Souls games would be left untouched!

Yeah, of course. It is the same game if you play it without the easy options turned on as if there were no easy options. There is no legitimate reason to oppose settings that allow more people to experience the game when they are not mandatory.
But marketing has convinced the worst of the souls fandom that they are part of some kind of exclusive club for having played and beaten the games, and people are insecure about losing that made up exclusivity. To be clear I'm not trying to defend this kind of fandom, I am criticizing it by way of saying where I think it comes from.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Had to Google to make sure I wasn't misremembering, but equally as bad is the fact that the rape scene in question is what is shown/alluded to in the announcement teaser trailer for the game.

And that's the entirety of the trailer. CG snippet of the manga's infamous rape scene - get excited for Berserk Musou!

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

God, yeah. That was the Berserk game. It was, thankfully, REMOVED from the western release. I'm not gonna say Berserk handles everything with sensitivity, from the source to anime adaptations, but them having Casca have that as a costume option was beyond fucked up. I remember seeing that was either DLC or an unlockable, and the Berserk fandom was absolutely in uproar against it (as was I). I will never understand how they thought it was a good idea, at all.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the rape horse one of the DLCs?
Wait THAT was in one of the DLCs? How far into the story did Berserk Musou go again?

Edit: I understand keeping that scene from the manga in there, but I don't understand having that one specific horse, who only appears for like two panels, as a DLC. Checking the Steam page now I see a piece of "warhorse" DLC that includes some extra horses but I don't know if horses are an important part of Musou games. They certainly aren't THAT important a part of Berserk. Casca's costume DLCs though seem really specifically targeted at certain scenes.

Last edited:

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Even Ninja Gaiden Black, the Xbox era's "get goodTM" game had difficulty modes that swapped in different foes and gave optional bonuses to your character

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I guess... but they would still be able to inflate their ego even if they allowed people with different types of impairments and disabilities to play and enjoy the games. The ego inflating feature of the Souls games would be left untouched!
They'd use those accessibility options to make it easier for themselves, then project that into other people.

S'like when people pretend to have read Nineteen-Eighty-Four or The Great Gatsby, but really they've only read the TV Tropes page - and then go around shitting on other people for not being as literate as they are.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Finally getting around to playing Last Remnant and Emma's design is neat, though for some reason, the eyes in the game have this darkened layer around them (sorry I don't know the proper term :s) but for Emma it fits IMO
7c555ea35cd2cdccdff839fb45085970.jpg

latest

Really the 4 generals of Athlum and David are far more interesting characters than generic shithead shonen protag Rush Sykes (yes that is his name...).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Finally getting around to playing Last Remnant and Emma's design is neat, though for some reason, the eyes in the game have this darkened layer around them (sorry I don't know the proper term :s) but for Emma it fits IMO

latest

Really the 4 generals of Athlum and David are far more interesting characters than generic shithead shonen protag Rush Sykes (yes that is his name...).
I quite like the design. Lots of cool detail and a nice mix of fantasy with practical stuff with the layers. It just looks like a compromise between comfort for adventuring all day in it, mobility and protection.

The kind of thing I'd draw tabletop d&d characters wearing, where I imagine them over the years gradually ending up in a mix of "what's a reasonable compromise for 'I'm going hiking with a fair chance of a fight, but don't want to clank up the mountain in full heavy armour" :D

Boobplate aside, if I were to make a change I think I'd want a scabbard too, but that's just personal preference when seeing people holding a four foot bit of steel and wondering whether they just hold it all day!

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I figure you folks might be interested in this video about the Witcher's sexualization -

Interesting points about the editing and the treatment/framing of lesbian characters, and the problems that can arise from the jank of reusing models.

latest

I dunno how last gen we got two games back to back with the character names Rush Sykes and Edge Maverick

I really do need to play Last Remnant for real one of these days though

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the rape horse one of the DLCs?

Casca's wet shirt (from when she's cleaning herself in the waterfall post-eclipse) was pre-order DLC, and the possessed horse was a promo DLC that came with the guide in Japan. Casca wearing only Guts' black shirt was also a costume.

Really that game was a mess from beginning to end. Having Wyald as a playable character was another mistake instead of chars like Skull Knight, Silat, Grunbeld, Locus or Irvine.

Also I just remembered that the trailer for the rape horse skin featured Schierke riding it...

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018

latest

To think she was designed by the same dude who came up with Cindy for FFXV.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017

The issue is that part of the fandom (as said by posters on ERA funny enough) that they couldn't control themselves from not touching those options and making things easier.

(I don't get that logic at all, to be honest...)

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The issue is that part of the fandom (as said by posters on ERA funny enough) that they couldn't control themselves from not touching those options and making things easier.

(I don't get that logic at all, to be honest...)
Which is silly because they're somehow able to avoid using summons without issue, when it's an option given that typically trivialises the boss in question.

The idea is so laughable that people who are in it for some intense challenge to break themselves against couldn't handle the challenge of not selecting "easy" at the start of the game.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
y'all have brought the sexist mess what was ffxv back to the forefront of my memory. that game's treatment of its female characters was legit offensive

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I remember living in South Korea for a year, while I was still in college, and asked a local college professor why there was so much sexist advertising, and was told that it helped empower women to look their best. I wonder if it's the same in Japan and China because that response was just... Was it just that the college professor was an asshole? Is the society just ignorant of how that shit sounds or? And it seems like it's getting worse, like some entrenched extremism lately, where the attitudes have turned towards the same crazy conservatism of forcing people into gender roles and stereotypes. It's like somehow oppression that's shared is fine even if it's clearly oppression.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I remember living in South Korea for a year, while I was still in college, and asked a local college professor why there was so much sexist advertising, and was told that it helped empower women to look their best. I wonder if it's the same in Japan and China because that response was just... Was it just that the college professor was an asshole? Is the society just ignorant of how that shit sounds or? And it seems like it's getting worse, like some entrenched extremism lately, where the attitudes have turned towards the same crazy conservatism of forcing people into gender roles and stereotypes. It's like somehow oppression that's shared is fine even if it's clearly oppression.

When I worked in Japan one of the principles told me a story about how bad the inequality used to be. Then he ended the story by saying... "but then we fixed it". After that he smiled, stood up, and left the office. I was stunned.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
That's unfortunately a common sentiment in a lot of places right? "Things used to be REALLY bad, but now its better, we fixed it."

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
That's unfortunately a common sentiment in a lot of places right? "Things used to be REALLY bad, but now its better, we fixed it."
I find it's a general common psychological statement. Given a social norm, each generation thinks the ones before them were stuck in their old fashioned ways and their generation is the one that got it right.

I think it's a way of explaining the problems of a Just World fallacy. The world IS fair, it's just some old timey folks still have some of their backwards ideas here and there.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
It's the same thing that happened when Obama became president. "Racism is fixed now right?" It's like... no, you fucking clod. Racism isn't something you fix. It's not a leaky faucet. You gotta deal with it all the time. The reality of systemic oppression for hundreds or thousands of years doesn't go away.

I know that's hard to hear for lots of people, but sexism is the same. It's something everyone has to work at getting better at. And it's clear that's not a satisfying answer to a lot of people, but that's life; it's tough, and you gotta learn to deal with it.

At the same time though, working towards a better future means a better world for everyone. So while it's tough, everyone comes out the other end better for it.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Casca's wet shirt (from when she's cleaning herself in the waterfall post-eclipse) was pre-order DLC, and the possessed horse was a promo DLC that came with the guide in Japan. Casca wearing only Guts' black shirt was also a costume.

Really that game was a mess from beginning to end. Having Wyald as a playable character was another mistake instead of chars like Skull Knight, Silat, Grunbeld, Locus or Irvine.

Also I just remembered that the trailer for the rape horse skin featured Schierke riding it...

giphy.gif

Fucking Wyald of all characters?
Jesus christ the game's marketing was obsessed with rape. There's more to Berserk, but the goddamn rape horse had to appear in the marketing material.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Every time I see Ryza I just wonder how in the hell do people find this kind of balloon legs appealing. They look like they will explode. Especially the new design.
"Something something EXTRA THICC"

I think it's some kind of weird attempt at body diversity. Like, "See? Not all these girls are have impossibly huge breasts while being twig thin, they actually have some fat on them. Were so progressive!"

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The sexualization aside, I'm a fan of seeing more diverse body types. The idea of Ryza seems like a good thing that just went off the rails.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously though, calling it a tourniquet isn't even a joke. Like.. pulling a belt around a limb so tightly that the flesh is bulging out around it on either side like that could be genuinely dangerous.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
That's not really an example of positive representation, though, is it? So let's not get too excited about that...
It's not even that diverse, the rest of the body is the same thin size you normally get, the thighs are just slightly larger than normal.
*Slightly larger than the average women's thighs would be, they seem larger in that drawing cus the rest of the body has the weird proportions which so many cartoons do where the waist is absurdly small

mawilite

Jul 18, 2020
Character designs like Atelier Ryza aren't a diversity thing, they're just the latest trend in sexualized body parts on women. Thighs have joined the ranks of breasts and butts in being allowed to have fat on them because now nerds think it's sexy when an anime girl is wearing stockings so tight they look like they're cutting off her blood circulation.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Character designs like Atelier Ryza aren't a diversity thing, they're just the latest trend in sexualized body parts on women. Thighs have joined the ranks of breasts and butts in being allowed to have fat on them because now nerds think it's sexy when an anime girl is wearing stockings so tight they look like they're cutting off her blood circulation.

Yep! Very well said.