• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
i love/hate dragon age but can we not derail the thread with lore arguments pls n thank you

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
i love/hate dragon age but can we not derail the thread with lore arguments pls n thank you
Apologies. A question about art schools - so I know in the states at least, a lot of schools for art and animation, as well as game art and animation, seem to have attempted to push out some of the more toxic elements in their artworks, at least at their schools. Is there any evidence this is happening in Asian arts schools? While I'm aware there's not much that can be done about independent artists, they're going to take influences from where they will, but for lots that go through schooling to work in the game industry, I am curious as to how schooling in Asia teaches game artists. I've had a hard time finding much information about how that sort of thing is treated at colleges in Japan, China, or South Korea in particular.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NRS continue winning.

This is Kitana's latest Kombat League outfit:

glw1tr4f7yl51.jpg

Truly representing the Kahn title

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
I have a pretty high tolerance for impractical outfits. I don't mind them if they're pretty and not absurdly skimpy.

It's the crap that looks like it might as well be a bikini that bothers me.

(Not talking about the above I mean. It is nice :P)

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Hey! I remember that guy:

Still hasn't changed

His Twitter account is a real cesspool full of anti-feminism rhetoric and pro-Trump retweets. WTF is this?
This is a white guy pretending to be black, isn't it? He doesn't show himself on any of his accounts and his older videos/accounts don't suggest anything of the "black persona" that he tries to project now. Even his older account names don't project like "BLACK SAGE DDDDDD"

Embarassing

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
NRS continue winning.

glw1tr4f7yl51.jpg

Kitana is crazy pretty in mk11. It still blows my mind how when the game was first coming out chuds were calling the new designs, such as the new Kitana, "ugly" just because they were wearing more clothing.

The specific skin does look really great on her.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
I have a pretty high tolerance for impractical outfits. I don't mind them if they're pretty and not absurdly skimpy.

Exactly. It has to be cool and be about the character, because when the design is about appealing sexually leaving the character to rot it's just sad. That's why I love them heels, they create some great silhouettes aestheticaly, very artistic movement, would love them in some guys too, as long as they're not just obnoxious queer coded villains.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Speaking of Mai Shiranui, it's interesting to me that Mai has long since been a sex symbol character in a canonical relationship (with not a self-insert character). It kind of feels like a bygone era because now that seems like a huge no-no in Japan due to perhaps the influence of idol culture. I admit that I've 90% stopped paying attention to new media out of Japan, but does anyone else get that sense?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
There's no images of what Akira is actually going to look like in SFV yet right? I'm only seeing stuff form her old games when I google.

Pink Tape

Oct 25, 2017
Red Velvet's cookie jar
NRS continue winning.

glw1tr4f7yl51.jpg

She's on that queen shit. I love that shade of purple on her 😍

(Not talking about the above I mean. It is nice :P)

Totally. You can make something pretty, cool, and stylish without going into fanservice territory. It honestly isn't difficult.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's blatantly in your face as hell.

Imo this isn't needed in such a kind of game and rather distracting tbh. I just can't understand the reason to design a game like that. If i want to play a good cover-shooter i don't need theese distractions taking over so much of the screen. If they just want to jerk off there's so much more out there readily available just one or two clicks away.

I don't understand why this stuff is selling as good as it is. The same with gachas in general. People pay up to thousands of dollars to get a shitty jpg.

There's to be more about this than just selling "thicc" images and ingame models. At least there's no "borderline pedo bullshit" jumping right at you...
It's not needed in any game. "thicc" is just popular and devs goes there for some extra money. Plain and simple. And the popularity has peaked fast, just a few years ago yoga pants were workout clothes but now women wear yoga pants everywhere where I'm at, in the grocery store, at work, even as official work clothes if they work with clothes. Why? It's not like everyone is just about to hit the gym. The "thicc" focus is essentially where big breasts and implants were 30 years ago when Pamela Anderson was considered the hottest new thing on the planet. It's here now, everywhere, including games, but it'll pass.

As for the game - All I'm thinking is: Why aren't they wearing pants??? A warm coat but no pants. They aren't even trying to be subtle about it.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
the fact that a troll came in, got completely ignored and then got perma'd is so... *chef kiss*

Oct 25, 2017
Kitana is crazy pretty in mk11. It still blows my mind how when the game was first coming out chuds were calling the new designs, such as the new Kitana, "ugly" just because they were wearing more clothing.

The specific skin does look really great on her.
I stan Skarlet, she got me to buy the game. From personality to color scheme to hair color to "Ow the edge" factor I loved her. Cassie is also great.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. It has to be cool and be about the character, because when the design is about appealing sexually leaving the character to rot it's just sad. That's why I love them heels, they create some great silhouettes aestheticaly, very artistic movement, would love them in some guys too, as long as they're not just obnoxious queer coded villains.

It being character friendly (especially in more serious games) is so important. I think that's why Samara's and Miranda's outfits from Mass Effect bother me so. Her appereance would have you think Miranda is a femme fatale character...she's the exact opposite. She even admits to being uncomfortable with her body but I'm supposed to believe she'd willingly wear that catsuit into a firefight? It's so bad and makes no sense other than obvious fanservice. And while Samara's outfit works for Morinth it's not really something you'd think someone as damn serious as Samara would bother with. It's bizarre. And Jack...nipple belt thing is just...that's just dumb.

And yeah heels work for me in certain contexts. The only characters I'm usually more comfortable wearing them are magic users though but that's my role bias speaking :P

Totally. You can make something pretty, cool, and stylish without going into fanservice territory. It honestly isn't difficult.

Yep but so often the same "why are there random holes...what are you wearing?" like so often something's skimpy and utterly atrocious to look at it boggles the mind. God fem Byleth's outfit. Random holes, random stockings, clashes with personality, the whole thing is a disaster.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
This fucking Ubisoft thing is infuriating, it makes me sick! Once again, women's equality – and safety in this particular case – seem to be THE things some people are ready to compromise on for the sake of "fandom" about some entertainment products. Well fuck that! 😡😢😡

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
This fucking Ubisoft thing is infuriating, it makes me sick! Once again, women's equality – and safety in this particular case – seem to be THE things some people are ready to compromise on for the sake of "fandom" about some entertainment products. Well fuck that! 😡😢😡

I can't imagine buying a game from Ubisoft anymore. There not even that good anyway, if you've played one you've played them all already. It is super easy to just play other games and not give them time or money.

Oct 27, 2017
Someone finally made a game like Downhill Domination and it just had to be Ubisoft. I can't get hyped for it.

Sadly I doubt they will change. I don't feel like giving my money to them anymore after all the shit we found out.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
People compromise on just about anything for fandom. The list is immeasurably long at this point, so I don't entirely blame them. Everyone make their own choices and have their own lines.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
What happened this time?

They put out a statement on Twitter with Yves Guillemot spewing insincere PR bullshit about how sorry he was about the fucked up shit they did. Ubisoft then tweeted to say that this statement won't be a part of their gaming event today. Why? Because of "time constraint"... even if the event itself didn't take the full hour it was supposed to.

Now everybody is losing their shit about the new games that were shown. Like if nothing happened. So I guess the systematized sexual abuse, assault, and rape happening within the company will be allowed to continue once this scandal dies down?

What would it take for people to take this seriously? This company destroyed women's lives for years with most of the important people within Ubisoft being complicit...

Can you imagine the level of unease and anxiety a lot of the women working for Ubisoft must feel right now? And depending on the context some of them are in, I'm sure it must be downright scary!

In case some people aren't familiar with the situation, here are two articles explaining some of the things that happened:

www.gamasutra.com

news

news

www.gamasutra.com

news

news

From the first article:
(trigger warning, rape description.)

The company's product and brand marketing manager Andrien Gbinigie (a.k.a.'Escoblades') has been accused of sexual harassment and assault by a number of women, while its associate public relations director Stone Chin has also been called out for "predatory behavior" including incidents reported nearly a decade ago.
Several first-hand accounts posted online detail how Gbinigie abused his position of power to manipulate, harass, and assault multiple women. One person recalls how Gbinigie pressured her into reciprocating his "flirtatious" advances and "sexual comments" when she was 18 years old, and after apologizing for that initial behavior over a year later, how he then groped and raped her at an industry event.

Regarding the rape accusation, they claim Gbinigie asked them to meet him and some friends in a hotel lobby ahead of a PAX industry party. Gbinigie, however, arrived alone, and asked if they wanted to head to his friends' room, where the rest of the group was apparently waiting. After brushing aside a "feeling of panic" and following Gbinigie to the room, they saw there was no one else in the room.

"I'm still not ready to relive the intimate details publicly, but that's when he forced himself on me. It wasn't the longest experience as, as he said at the time, his friends were expecting us - but it was enough for him to get out of me what he'd clearly wanted from the start, and to put me in my place," they wrote.

"It's taken a long time and a lot of therapy to stop listening to words that are burned into my brain - 'you should be grateful' - to forgive myself for the fact that at a certain point I stopped fighting him, and to try to be okay as I can be with the fact that my first experience with sex at all was rape. It wasn't the longest experience, but it was enough to still fuck me up to this day."

So the fact that some people are choosing to ignore this situation doesn't make any sense to me and makes me so mad. And so sad.

I don't want to play Scott Pilgrim Versus The World because of Ubisoft.

You know what? I love the Scott Pilgrim movie / graphic novels. And I really liked the game when it first came out on PS3. I wanted to replay it for the longest time! But I won't be buying it. I can't give Ubisoft anymore money. I just can't...

People compromise on just about anything for fandom. The list is immeasurably long at this point, so I don't entirely blame them. Everyone make their own choices and have their own lines.

I don't think it means it needs to continue or that we need to accept it. Especially when the end result is people getting hurt.

Last edited:

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Yeah, the whole root of "fan" is "fanatic", after all, and I don't think we need to go into detail about the things people have overlooked for certain other types of fanaticism...

I'm more irritated by the games media, always tip-toeing around the issue because they seemingly can't risk alienating advertisers. If you're cowing to marketing forces and hype, then, frankly, you're enabling corruption and are part of the problem.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017

I did get wound up by how bad the PoP remake looks and nostalgia wanked about the original for a bit. 😓

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
They put out a statement on Twitter with Yves Guillemot spewing insincere PR bullshit about how sorry he was about the fucked up shit they did. Ubisoft then twitted to say that this statement won't be a part of their gaming event today. Why? Because of "time constraint"... even if the event itself didn't take the full hour it was supposed to.

Now everybody is losing their shit about the new games that were shown. Like if nothing happened. So I guess the systematized sexual abuse, assault, and rape happening within the company will be allowed to continue once this scandal dies down?

What would it take for people to take this seriously? This company destroyed women's lives for years with most of the important people within Ubisoft being complicit...

Can you imagine the level of unease and anxiety a lot of the women working for Ubisoft must feel right now? And depending on the context some of them are in, I'm sure it must be downright scary!

In case some people aren't familiar with the situation, here are two articles explaining some of the things that happened:

www.gamasutra.com

news

news

www.gamasutra.com

news

news

From the first article:
(trigger warning, rape description.)

So the fact that some people are choosing to ignore this situation doesn't make any sense to me and makes me so mad. And so sad.

Another empty apology from Ubisoft.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think it means it needs to continue or that we need to accept it. Especially when the end result is people getting hurt.
Oh, by all means continue to call it out. For example, Riot Games was known to have horribly toxic and sexist work culture. Now, I don't know if it actually did work, but I believe recent reports showed improvement after they received pressure from media outlets and the public. Such improvements can't happen if everyone just shrugs and go "whatevs I'll just keep playing LoL", for sure. But I also don't necessarily blame whoever did keep playing LoL during this time, if it's something they really enjoy, because... well, to put it bluntly and simply, everything is shit, and battles are exhausting to fight, especially when there's so many of them.

So personally... I probably won't buy a Ubisoft game any time soon. There's other devs and products I won't give money to. But I can't lie and say I won't buy a PS5 or a Naughty Dog game ever again, for example, because let's face it, I definitely will. You either pick your battles or stop consuming things altogether. :\

But, again, it doesn't mean just shrugging and ignoring it. People need to spread awareness and keep raising hell. All that pressure on Ubisoft is how they finally got rid of Serge Hascoët, at least. Now, if only Yves Guillemot and his nepotistic family would be next... but I'm dreaming.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, by all means continue to call it out. For example, Riot Games was known to have horribly toxic and sexist work culture. Now, I don't know if it actually did work, but I believe recent reports showed improvement after they received pressure from media outlets and the public. Such improvements can't happen if everyone just shrugs and go "whatevs I'll just keep playing LoL", for sure. But I also don't necessarily blame whoever did keep playing LoL during this time, if it's something they really enjoy, because... well, to put it bluntly and simply, everything is shit, and battles are exhausting to fight, especially when there's so many of them.

So personally... I probably won't buy a Ubisoft game any time soon. There's other devs and products I won't give money to. But I can't lie and say I won't buy a PS5 or a Naughty Dog game ever again, for example, because let's face it, I definitely will. You either pick your battles or stop consuming things altogether. :\

But, again, it doesn't mean just shrugging and ignoring it. People need to spread awareness and keep raising hell. All that pressure on Ubisoft is how they finally got rid of Serge Hascoët, at least. Now, if only Yves Guillemot and his nepotistic family would be next... but I'm dreaming.

I've learned over the last year and a half that I don't need to consume media from things I find problematic. Like, is going to suck not buying Cyberpunk after being so hyped for it when it was announced? Maybe, but I can't support CDPR anymore. Same with UbiSoft. I'll play the games I already own from them, cause they already got my money, but new games? Nah. Not until they show that they've changed in a positive and noticeable way.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

Yeah, I get what you're saying. We need to choose our battles. I do think there are degrees in all of this, though. For example, the crunch culture at Naughty Dog and other game companies is definitely fucked up. It needs to change, and I would understand if some people didn't want to buy their games because of that. This fall into the territory of where someone is drawing the line.

I think what's happening with Ubisoft is a totally different ball game. When the leadership of a company is complicit in the sexual abuse, assault, and rape of employees over many years in such a systematized fashion, we're talking about something else entirely. I can assure you that if similar things were to be revealed at Naughty Dog, I would stop buying their games altogether too. No matter how much a fan I am of TLOU Part 2 (and you know how much I like it), and no matter how "genius" an eventual Part 3 turns out to be. My own entertainment doesn't take precedence over the lives of other women. I feel weird having to type this.

I've learned over the last year and a half that I don't need to consume media from things I find problematic. Like, is going to suck not buying Cyberpunk after being so hyped for it when it was announced? Maybe, but I can't support CDPR anymore. Same with UbiSoft. I'll play the games I already own from them, cause they already got my money, but new games? Nah. Not until they show that they've changed in a positive and noticeable way.

I tend to think similarly.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
ubisoft: "here's an apology. Now buy our games pls"

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The worst thing about that apology was how it began with Guillemot being all "earlier this summer we learned". No, YOU KNEW. YOU didn't learn SHIT. The public learned. Ubisoft was very aware and let it continue.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked the Scott Pilgrim game but the re release seems kind of lazy anyway, like no new content at all right? Just the original game and its dlc's. I'd want playable Stacey Pilgrim and maybe some bonus post game levels or something at least right?

The biggest loss in terms of any kind of choice to stop supporting ubisoft is definitely Rainbow 6 Siege, which is both an extremely good game and kind of the perfect game for "women entering combat in practical clothing same as the men".

Edit: I wanted to clarify this post, that I was not trying to say "nah but siege is good so keep supporting them". More just trying to say that losing that is the one that hurts the most.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I found Guillemot's apology cynical in its timing. Why not a couple of weeks ago? It just came across as 'we're sorry but watch our new video about our new products, that'll make any reference to this disappear very quickly'

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I found Guillemot's apology cynical in its timing. Why not a couple of weeks ago? It just came across as 'we're sorry but watch our new video about our new products, that'll make any reference to this disappear very quickly'

and of course shitty journalists and youtubers will fall for it because the hype machine has to be running at all times, and "apologies" about so called "sex crimes" are just politics, who cares, gotta play that new video game