• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
if chloe from life is strange was a man she wouldn't get nearly as much hate send tweet

nb: this is not me saying she's flawless and shouldnt be criticised bc god knows ur fave is problematic. but female characters are held to higher moral standards than male ones. gee i wonder whyyyy

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
if chloe from life is strange was a man she wouldn't get nearly as much hate send tweet

nb: this is not me saying she's flawless and shouldnt be criticised bc god knows ur fave is problematic. but female characters are held to higher moral standards than male ones. gee i wonder whyyyy
Who's talking shit about Chloe? *reaches for lesbian sword*

Village

Oct 25, 2017

While I don't like clohoe really, and max a story story thing makes max completely unrelatable. You aren't wrong.
The same way that felt like they couldn't relate to the sequel because the game had shifted to racism.

The games aren't perfect, and I will let you know that.But sometimes that sort of difference in standards makes for toxic discussion

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Hopefully bioshock 4 can go back to just retcon the "always a man, always a lighthouse" thing so we get a woman protagonist.

I think you don't even need to retcon that, as you don't have to play as that man, it's only in Infinite that that happens. But if there is one thing that scares gaming execs above all else is FPS + female protagonist. The horror...

And one funny thing is that if we look of FPS with female leads, their quality is utterly out of balanced compared to their numbers. Perfect Dark and No One One Lives Forever 1 and 2 are top tier dedicated FPS. And if we branch out more games with FPP we would get Portal, Metroid, Alien Isolation, Mirror's Edge... all fantastic games.

Would Vivienne from Inquisition be a case of this? I remember thinking she was a great character, but a lot of people seems to dislike her. And she was definitely not the type to worship the player because reasons.

Dragmire

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Would Vivienne from Inquisition be a case of this? I remember thinking she was a great character, but a lot of people seems to dislike her. And she was definitely not the type to worship the player because reasons.
Never played the game, but it sounds like it especially because of the last reason you mentioned.

Dragmire

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Haha. Even when people talk about the violence done by characters like Kratos and Nate, I've seen a difference in tone and words. Compared to say Lara. Somehow she's the "scary" one.

Mar 18, 2019
I never understood the Kratos fanboyism. He's one of the worst sumbag characters ever created. A lot of Sony fanboys hate on Abby for being violent, yet love Kratos despite being a homicidal mass-murderer.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I remember thinking she was a great character, but a lot of people seems to dislike her

I dislike Vivienne personality but I think she is a great (and interesting) character. I like how she subvert player expectation on how Mages usually portrayed in the series (I think she is the first notable Mage character that, not just accept the whole Circle of Magi idea as a necessity, but totally support and embrace it ?).

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I never got around to finishing life is strange. I found the first chapter of the game very charming but by partway through the 3rd I just didn't care to keep going. I have heard some good things and some bad things about it and mean to go back sometime and finish it out but at this point I feel like I'd have to start over to properly remember what was going on.

Do people feel like its worth going back and finishing this far out now?

The truest post.

Last edited:

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I agree the hate on Vivienne is overblown, but that shouldn't discount the valid arguments against her. I think she's a good character but not a good person. She comes from a place of considerable privilege, and her viewpoint is basically "My experience in the mage circle was just fine, what are you complaining about?" I basically put her on the exact opposite of Anders, whom I regard in a similar fashion. He's willing to destroy whatever it takes for the sake of the mages, not really caring who gets caught in the crossfire. Meanwhile Vivienne would prefer if nothing changes for the sake of her own comfort, regardless of the suffering inflicted on other mages.

However, more on topic, Vivienne's wardrobe is enviable. She shows skin, but there's nothing objectifying about it. Plus, other characters' various outfits tend to radiate an air of "well, I didn't pick this, but it's got better stats, so..." while every armor set just looks like something she meticulously arranged herself.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Haha. Even when people talk about the violence done by characters like Kratos and Nate, I've seen a difference in tone and words. Compared to say Lara. Somehow she's the "scary" one.
My issue with Lara is that the Tomb Raider remakes are far more graphic, and go for an M rating while Uncharted is T-rated. Nate punches people and sometimes throws them off cliffs. Lara can be seen dismembering people with like, climbing picks and shit, in the first game which is supposed to be about her grappling with killing people for the first time. Lara's violence in the recent games is actually closer to Kratos', and I still don't think it was a good idea for Tomb Raider specifically to go that route, not to mention Lara's death scenes (though as I understand it Lara has always had death scenes that were rather graphic for their respective eras).

Dragmire

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Criticizing the direction of TR and Laura is fine, but I was just making the point on how certain people talk about a female character's actions in comparison to other male characters that have done similar or worse. When they talk about Nate they usually mention how ridiculous his games can be with all his causal killing and sometimes even call him a murderer. But whatever he jokes. Then Kratos killed everything and broke the world. He is angry and violent and irredeemable. But man is he BADASS! Oh and he has a kid now, see what a nice guy he is? And a bunch of other guys doing the same crap.

Laura:

Jeez Laura chill! Clam down. I don't wanna die by her.
Has anyone ever heard of someone saying a main character of a game should clam down?

I could go for more Tombs and less killing myself, but that's another topic.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Criticizing the direction of TR and Laura is fine, but I was just making the point on how certain people talk about a female character's actions in comparison to other male characters that have done similar or worse. When they talk about Nate they usually mention how ridiculous his games can be with all his causal killing and sometimes even call him a murderer. But whatever he jokes. Then Kratos killed everything and broke the world. He is angry and violent and irredeemable. But man is he BADASS! Oh and he has a kid now, see what a nice guy he is? And a bunch of other guys doing the same crap.

Laura:

Jeez Laura chill! Clam down. I don't wanna die by her.
Has anyone ever heard of someone saying a main character of a game should clam down?

I could go for more Tombs and less killing myself, but that's another topic.

Not the best example since the issue people had with this wasn't specifically Lara being violent. It's the writing of the games, mostly this one and this part is awkward because right after you have the Jonnah scene.

Dragmire

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Not the best example since the issue people had with this wasn't specifically Lara being violent.
Sure the direction of the games are whatever, but I was quoting what people have said about Laura. But yeah maybe the examples others have given are better.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I never got around to finishing life is strange. I found the first chapter of the game very charming but by partway through the 3rd I just didn't care to keep going. I have heard some good things and some bad things about it and mean to go back sometime and finish it out but at this point I feel like I'd have to start over to properly remember what was going on.

Do people feel like its worth going back and finishing this far out now?

If you're still interested in the game and would like to go through it, I would start over if I were you.

Life is Strange (+ Before the Storm) might very well be my favorite game after TLOU Part 2.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017

Do people feel like its worth going back and finishing this far out now.
Life is Strange is a love/hate kind of game. By that I mean you will have reasons to hate and love it. At least I do. 😂 Ep. 3 is possibly the best episode. It's at least the gayest in terms of Max and Chloe interactions. Plus the story gets more interesting towards the end.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I'm conflicted mostly I liked LiS since it had a female MC who was p relatable but the entire story derailed v fast and that ending.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
If you're still interested in the game and would like to go through it, I would start over if I were you.

Life is Strange (+ Before the Storm) might very well be my favorite game after TLOU Part 2.

Yeah I think I would have to start over. I barely remember what was going on beyond there being a missing girl that Chloe had been close with before she disappeared. I do have more free time now than I did when I fell off of it originally. I think one problem I had to was playing at the pace of release, since I'd kind of lost interest by the time episode 3 finally came out you know? Wouldn't be a problem now when all the episodes are out.

Life is Strange is a love/hate kind of game. By that I mean you will have reasons to hate and love it. At least I do. 😂 Ep. 3 is possibly the best episode. It's at least the gayest in terms of Max and Chloe interactions. Plus the story gets more interesting towards the end.

I appreciate that I've made that enough of my brand here that it is known that this would be a selling point.

I'm conflicted mostly I liked LiS since it had a female MC who was p relatable but the entire story derailed v fast and that ending.

I have heard the ending is controversial or polarizing or whatever. I've not looked into it since I always think maybe some day I'll go back.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think I would have to start over. I barely remember what was going on beyond there being a missing girl that Chloe had been close with before she disappeared. I do have more free time now than I did when I fell off of it originally. I think one problem I had to was playing at the pace of release, since I'd kind of lost interest by the time episode 3 finally came out you know? Wouldn't be a problem now when all the episodes are out.

I appreciate that I've made that enough of my brand here that it is known that this would be a selling point.

I have heard the ending is controversial or polarizing or whatever. I've not looked into it since I always think maybe some day I'll go back.
If you decide to get Before the Storm grab the special edition or what it was called. It has another chapter that is well worth it if you loved Max and Chloe's story and want one final good bye to their story.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
I was searching for what single player games (not MMOs or mobile gacha) South Korea has been making lately and... well...

It is inspired by Nier Automata, with a group of what appears to be gynoids fighting some kind of enemy in a post-apocalyptic Earth. It also takes some unfortunate inspirations from Nier Automata, however.

Project-EVE-Screenshot-4.png

Oct 25, 2017
I was searching for what single player games (not MMOs or mobile gacha) South Korea has been making lately and... well...

It is inspired by Nier Automata, with a group of what appears to be gynoids fighting some kind of enemy in a post-apocalyptic Earth. It also takes some unfortunate inspirations from Nier Automata, however.

You know...you know something is fucked when you're revealing more of your ass than Cammy White.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

Yeah I hear you! I'm not a fan of the episodic format either. I actually bought and played Life is Strange 1 only after all episodes were released. With Before the Storm I didn't, and It was a mistake. To me it wasn't much fun to wait weeks between episodes.

Same thing with LiS 2. I waited for everything to be released and on sale before buying it. (And btw, I thought LiS 2 was also very fun. If you end up liking the concept of LiS, I recommend it. It's definitely not as great as LiS 1 + Beyond the Storm, though.)

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I played LiS after every episode was out, so it was different. Definitely and interesting experience. The biggest issue people have in general is
the choices throughtout the game being meaningless for the ending itself. Plus the fact that one ending is clearly the "good" one and had so much more put into it. Makes the decision feel wonky.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I played LiS after every episode was out, so it was different. Definitely and interesting experience. The biggest issue people have in general is
the choices throughtout the game being meaningless for the ending itself. Plus the fact that one ending is clearly the "good" one and had so much more put into it. Makes the decision feel wonky.

Yeah, these issues are definitely there. But for me personally, it didn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all. It was an emotional roller coaster of a story told in a very unique and beautiful way.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This is a great example of how an unfitting character design can completely break the tone. You look across this horrible scene of carnage and then OH LOOK A THONG.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Reminds me of the reception to Emily from Until Dawn. Such a great character depsised by people because she wasn't "nice." The Youtube thumbnails that popped up in my recommendations showing her corpse after a certain scene (keep in mind that the player has to make the choice to kill her no full well there's no risk to keeping her alive) was disgusting. Hell it's currently the second image on Google when you search Until Dawn Emily.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Where were you during the Great Ass Massacre of 2050?

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone wants an awesome Metroidvania, I'd highly recommend TimeSpinner. Easily one of my favorite new games.
tmp_2F1580250198559-75huq8prvfj-bfda94b7f8b257330c814d52b5704472_2Fa2163654765_10.jpg

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Situation when many people who know about the Witcher lore just from playing TW3, saw Yennefer in contrast to Triss

triss: raped geralt
yen: did not rape geralt
fans: triss best waifu yen is such a bitch bc she doesn't kiss geraldo's ass 24/7

anyway stan yen forever

re: life is strange, the fact that the bury your gays ending was the obvious intended "good" one still stings

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
triss: raped geralt
yen: did not rape geralt
fans: triss best waifu yen is such a bitch bc she doesn't kiss geraldo's ass 24/7

anyway stan yen forever

re: life is strange, the fact that the bury your gays ending was the obvious intended "good" one still stings
It does suck that it has to be a BYG because it's a great song and overall cinematically and beautifully shot.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Both games where queer women endure trauma and don't exactly get happy endings. 😂 (Not a reflection on you.)

Gotta lookout for a fellow lesbian. Chloe and Max are my number one ship after all *glances at tag*, always looking to convert. 😉 The ending of the game is a dumpster fire, but it supercharged the fandom with a plethora of fanction.
If you decide to get Before the Storm grab the special edition or what it was called. It has another chapter that is well worth it if you loved Max and Chloe's story and want one final good bye to their story.
"Farewell" is a terrible send off for Max and Chloe. I'm doing a replay of Before the Storm and it's truly best to play it before the game proper.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017

I utterly despised her in the first game but absolutely loved her in Before the Storm.