• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Yoko Taro really needs a character designer to tell him no and not enable him. I also wish for the days when Akihiko Yoshida wasn't constantly horny on main.

On the other hand, Taro was told to design a swimsuit version of a SINoAlice character and he did this

Yoko-Taro-SINoALICE-Interview-1.jpg

Which is kinda funny

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Yep. Yoko Taro really needs a character designer to tell him no and not enable him. I also wish for the days when Akihiko Yoshida wasn't constantly horny on main.

I'm afraid it might be too late. I keep thinking that some of Bravely Default jobs designs looked cool but then again I rmb that they had to adjust them for overseas. However, with a new character designer I have hope for Bravely Default II.

e80.jpg

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the interview mentioned that:
We still talk about the time Yoko-san was told that gacha games need to show more skin in order to make money, so he decided to put Dorothy a massive deep-sea diving suit for her Cleric Job that only showed a part of her face. Can you tell us more about that design?

Yoko Taro: "Mobile game devs tell me that swimsuit outfits make more money, so I should make one, so I made Dorothy's aquatic outfit for her Cleric class, but the sales weren't very good. The devs said, 'not a diving suit like this! A swimsuit that shows more skin!!' so I released Dorothy's lazy bear minstrel class, but sales went down yet again. Who can trust these devs?"
Which goes to show what devs think of these gatcha games that feature these designs. None of which is surprising and no one that supports this stuff really cares anyway.

the lazy bear design and the rest:
www.siliconera.com

Yoko Taro Talks About Writing ‘Happy Stories’ and Making ‘Sexy Swimsuits’ for SINoALICE

Yoko Taro about the totally “happy stories" and sexy "swimsuit outfits" he made for SINoALICE. He also talked booze and dream collaborations.
But frankly his honesty is just part of his brand now which is why SE allows it and he gets away with what he is saying here and shit like "I like girls."

Last edited:

ImNotAFroot

Nov 6, 2017
The half-bra is weird. I kinda like her robo-leg tho, except that it has a heel.

Some of the other art for the game is not bad

kuyJ5qN.jpg

pSPdG2w.jpg

well, the leg slit is egregious but I love how big the sleeves are
Wait, these are great, don't think I've ever seen a bald young woman in a japanese game and the second lady looks sexy buy still classy af.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I would love a sequel to Bioshock 2 that had Eleanor as the protagonist. I want a Bioshock game starring a woman period. Oh well, at least we got immersive sims like Dishonored 2 and Prey (2017) that allow you play as women.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Whose side is he on? Is he only against sexualization when people tell him to do it?
Well, whatever amuses him I guess. Especially if what he said here is sincere:
Which character did you enjoy writing the most?
Yoko Taro: "It's my job, so none were enjoyable for me. I felt like a lowly laborer covered in mud, and as I typed my keyboard I was thinking 'I want to get this over with and have a drink. Wouldn't that be great?'"

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Its pretty safe to say we do not trust Ken Levine to handle a Daisy Fitzroy spin off right.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you're right. The Burial at Sea retcon just made the issue with Daisy much worse.

I never got around to playing Burial at Sea, even when I was young and dumb and really into infinite. Seems too late to go back now. The retcon makes things even worse?

Yep, that goes without saying. Everything surrounding her in that game is shit.

Luckily Ken Levine should have no involvement in future Bioshock games.

I hadn't heard that Ken wasn't going to be involved in the next one. That's probably encouraging.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I never got around to playing Burial at Sea, even when I was young and dumb and really into infinite. Seems too late to go back now. The retcon makes things even worse?

I hadn't heard that Ken wasn't going to be involved in the next one. That's probably encouraging.

I can't talk about this without spoiling the DLC.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
"Oppressed minorities are the real bad guys when you think about it." was definitely a hell of a take they went with.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand, Taro was told to design a swimsuit version of a SINoAlice character and he did this

Yoko-Taro-SINoALICE-Interview-1.jpg

Which is kinda funny
I got a kick out of this, too, but then of course they had to go and make these two designs of her to compensate.

372.png
187.png

Still kinda trolly in true Yoko Taro game fashion but also 😑
At least she's got a couple of pretty great regular designs, too, but still... SMH

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
it sounds like a direct hamfisted reaction to people not liking that scene, and also like it would be no good for the character, yeah.
Also in burial at sea
it ends up being Elizabeth that gives the secret code...aka would you kindly to Atlas while she then gets tortured and killed by him. So Elizabeth causes the entire downfall of Rapture and gets tortured for it.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I got a kick out of this, too, but then of course they had to go and make these two designs of her to compensate.

372.png
187.png

Still kinda trolly in true Yoko Taro game fashion but also 😑
At least she's got a couple of pretty great regular designs, too, but still... SMH
SINoAlice is weird like that. Some designs are super classy and badass, and some are pure smut.

Like Alice will go from some cool magical girl inspired looks like this:

022.png

To... this.

032.png
/spoiler]

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
SINoAlice is weird like that. Some designs are super classy and badass, and some are pure smut.

Like Alice will go from some cool magical girl inspired looks like this:

022.png

To... this.

032.png
/spoiler]
Yeuuppp. I'm really loving sinoalice and when they nail good designs holy shit do they nail them, but god is there some real crap in there, too, lol.
At least the game relies on weapons over characters, so you can play as whoever and whichever look you want and never have to use any of the grossly over-sexualized stuff.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
For all its problems, Tales Of Crestoria isn't as bad as most other Gatcha games regarding designs. Since it pulls most of them from the games, and most of the games don't really have anything ridiculously over the top (minus like...Velvet and maybe 2 other girls), it does swimsuits that aren't real crazy, and each swimsuit banner had 1 girl and 1 guy as potential pulls. The new banner has Kitty Cat Waitress Rita which I was kinda scared about but the art for it is completely tame but still really anime, but yet still not nearly as bad as other gatcha games that we don't speak of

While the regular SSR Rita is

then you get guy swimsuit stuff like this

wow what a nice young man

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Also in burial at sea
it ends up being Elizabeth that gives the secret code...aka would you kindly to Atlas while she then gets tortured and killed by him. So Elizabeth causes the entire downfall of Rapture and gets tortured for it.

You all are really reaffirming past me never getting around to that dlc.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
infinite was a racist sexist mess on every level. *clutches daisy and elizabeth to my chest* they're mine now levine you can't have them

like imagine writing a black woman going CrAzY and having to be put down like a rabid dog by a white woman. n then retconning it so actually the black woman sacrificed herself for the white woman's character development. and then elizabeth [bas spoilers] gets tortured (in first person!) and then unceremoniously beaten to death with a crowbar or whatever levine meet me in the pit

Moon, the anti-RPG, is a relaxing strange game that is telling of where Toby fox got the idea of making Undertale.

While it not big on feminist ideas, it at least commentates your actions when you interact with stuff with game like approaches. There one moment where you look at a sleeping women which in other RPG (at the time at least) and a women stops you outside the house calls you out for saying how weird of you to do that. Giant bomb Quick look had that moment

Speaking of Undertale, shout-out to Undyne.

latest
latest
latest

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I understand Moon's kind of a precursor to Chulip which is a game I absolutely love (though not for any reasons that could be especially positively called out in this thread). I'm putting Moon off for when I have less games going on than I do right now, but I'm very much looking forward to trying it.

It is the kind of game that makes you think about how many charming unique games may have never got localized and brought out west.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
For all its problems, Tales Of Crestoria isn't as bad as most other Gatcha games regarding designs. Since it pulls most of them from the games, and most of the games don't really have anything ridiculously over the top (minus like...Velvet and maybe 2 other girls), it does swimsuits that aren't real crazy, and each swimsuit banner had 1 girl and 1 guy as potential pulls. The new banner has Kitty Cat Waitress Rita which I was kinda scared about but the art for it is completely tame but still really anime, but yet still not nearly as bad as other gatcha games that we don't speak of

While the regular SSR Rita is

then you get guy swimsuit stuff like this

wow what a nice young man
yeah, all the tales games i've played had pretty good female character designs.

granted, the last one i got into was vesperia so don't know where the series is at now outside of velvet's infamous outfit.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
also if u want an indie with a good female protagonist check out a short hike (YES i will pimp this game out to everyone i can no i'm not ashamed) and also night in the woods!!!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully bioshock 4 can go back to just retcon the "always a man, always a lighthouse" thing so we get a woman protagonist.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully bioshock 4 can go back to just retcon the "always a man, always a lighthouse" thing so we get a woman protagonist.

I always interpreted the always a man to be referring to Comstock/Ryan, founding their crazy town with the lighthouse as an entrance.

I'm not saying that interpretation is even right, I just hadn't thought of it as referring to the protagonist before.

Edit:
other then comstock also being dewitt nonsense in infinite

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I always interpreted the always a man to be referring to Comstock/Ryan, founding their crazy town with the lighthouse as an entrance.

I'm not saying that interpretation is even right, I just hadn't thought of it as referring to the protagonist before.

Edit:
other then comstock also being dewitt nonsense in infinite

Comstack's wife barely has a role in the story.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I was considering trying burial at sea as I heard it was not awful but yikes. Also the base game is just wack in so many ways, the tone is wack, the gameplay loop is wack, the plot is wack, dewitt is a fool, fuck those mechanical dead presidents, and I dropped the game before the plot went wack 2000: the sequel with "oh no the guns to overthrow the captialists are behind an unopenable door and plot holes, time to do the time warp to a reality where the both sides revolution happens"

If anything, it sure made me more open to accept games like undertale than guns guns guns