• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Her clothing is both 75% ribbons and string and thus fragile and prone to snagging/breaking and being a distraction, and so revealing that there's like no where for Ms. Assassin to hide tools and weapons. I guess if her strategy is to lure her target into letting down their guard with the sight of her cheeks it works but even then not really.

Working my way through Trails in the Sky SC and really dreading eventually getting to later games where it looks like Falcom decided to up pandering by a lot.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Her clothing is both 75% ribbons and string and thus fragile and prone to snagging/breaking and being a distraction, and so revealing that there's like no where for Ms. Assassin to hide tools and weapons. I guess if her strategy is to lure her target into letting down their guard with the sight of her cheeks it works but even then not really.
rixia_mao_cold_steel_ii.jpg

To make it even dumber...

Aug 26, 2018
日本
TVgiVHJ.png

I'm playing Hajimari no Kiseki now, and this is what a "legendary assassin" party member wears.
It reminded me of this thread.

Oh and also a Sargent Major in their army wears shorts for her uniform.
0Ul3mGz.png
Even as a dude (the supposed target audience), I just feel like the assassin is too stupid and laughable to even be sexy. If I were designing it, I wouldn't be able to get through it with a straight face. Boggles the mind really.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

Working my way through Trails in the Sky SC and really dreading eventually getting to later games where it looks like Falcom decided to up pandering by a lot.
Third chapter of sky is good i hear
Yeah, the Sky trilogy is great.
My interest in the series wouldn't be there if I hadn't played that Trilogy first.

The Crossbell games are also alright for the most part (But it's where they started changing towards "fan service"

But yeah....
The bad guys just turned up.
And this is a new character:
cmAIYOE.png

Doesn't her colleague need to air out his ballsack? Must be toasty in that get up.
She's described as the "hooded woman"
EQ0Dmbu.png

I heard a lot about it combat system and pushing pass tried JRPG conventions but omg each entry has worst cloths for it female cast than the last.

It's alright. Certainly has some depth to it compared to others but I guess that's also because they've refined it over many games.
I'm not too sure about JRPG conventions being pushed past.
The cold steel series has everybody in love with the main character.
And it has the worst trope of characters being mass murderers never getting any sort of punishment/

I have a love-hate relationship with the series.
I got invested years ago with the Sky trilogy.
And it's like sequels are being written by horny fan fiction writers.

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Oh wow - didn't realise she was a playable party member. That makes the outfit even worse - clearly intended for players to leer at when controlling her.

Apologies for yet more Dead or Alive, and I don't know if it was discussed, but:

"Well, when it comes to Dead or Alive, what people hope for and expect are cute girls, right? Most likely," responded Shimbori. "So when we decide guest characters, we generally look for 'Are there any cuties out there?'"

"With SNK, we borrowed Mai Shiranui and now Kula Diamond," continued a laughing Shimbori. "They really did have cuties for us."

"A lot of our fans really got excited for them, saying 'Wow, they're so cute' and were happy about them. They have a lot of fans because they're both strong characters and they look good, right?"

Of course, there have actually been a couple of male characters that have also joined the series. With Sega's permission, Koei Tecmo was able to make Akira Yuki, Sarah Bryant, Pai Chan, and Jacky Bryant from the Virtua Fighter franchise playable in Dead or Alive titles.

In other words, there have been times where Koei Tecmo's guest character selection process wasn't just limited to "cute girls" or "cuties."

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
s/o to dishonored for some fuckin amazing female character designs, and for recognising that the portrayal of women in the first game was kind of shitty and making an active effort to course correct. billie lurk is one of my fave characters in gaming.
I also like the design of Julianna in their next game!

sergey-kolesov-julianna-poster-final.jpg

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's alright. Certainly has some depth to it compared to others but I guess that's also because they've refined it over many games.
I'm not too sure about JRPG conventions being pushed past.
The cold steel series has everybody in love with the main character.
And it has the worst trope of characters being mass murderers never getting any sort of punishment/

I have a love-hate relationship with the series.
I got invested years ago with the Sky trilogy.
And it's like sequels are being written by horny fan fiction writers.

I really like what I've played of the Cold Steel series so far but it absolutely has massive flaws when it comes to some plot beats and character designs.

Like, I love the lore, the world building, most of the characters, and some of the scenes are absolutely fantastic (Juna's English voice acting in the scene on top of Crossbell tower in CS3 is genuinely some of the best in the business)

But then you have Rixia looking like she does, most of the women being into Rean for no apparent reason, boob size jokes, swimsuit DLC, the extremely skimpily dressed lesbian who straight up sexually assaults one of her teammates in her first scene...

It genuinely feels like even the best JRPGs are put together by two entirely different teams. One takes the game seriously, putting the thought into the world and characters. Then another team comes in and tries to figure out where to put in the horny. Xenoblade, Bravely, Persona, Ys... Even Final Fantasy, while generally striking a better balance, can fall victim to it (I mean FFXIV has an entire NieR raid series complete with those outfits as unlockables).

Wonder if it's more a question of when rather than if Pokémon also falls off the deep end.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But then you have Rixia looking like she does, most of the women being into Rean for no apparent reason, boob size jokes, swimsuit DLC, the extremely skimpily dressed lesbian who straight up sexually assaults one of her teammates in her first scene...

I still remember the day I tried Cold Steel for the first time. People had been screaming at me that it's so good and 5 minutes into the game they pull the "characters fall down and main character lands on female lead's boobs and now she's mad at him about it" joke.

Like this is your best foot forward, Cold Steel? Perv humor five minutes in?

I made it about three more hours and then quit and never went back.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I still remember the day I tried Cold Steel for the first time. People had been screaming at me that it's so good and 5 minutes into the game they pull the "characters fall down and main character lands on female lead's boobs and now she's mad at him about it" joke.

Like this is your best foot forward, Cold Steel? Perv humor five minutes in?

I made it about three more hours and then quit and never went back.

Yup don't blame you for that. Though it would have been funny to hear your reaction to them doing the exact same scene again two games later with two completely different characters.

CS is just another one of those series I like but it's hard to ever recommend it due to things like that being peppered throughout. Never quite as bad as Hyperdimension Neptunia or Dead or Alive or something, but it's like an ever-present threat which in some ways is even worse. Whenever the gross stuff pops up I roll my eyes usually quit playing for the day and switch to something else to wash the taste out.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
This has come up before in the thread, specifically from myself and I want to say SapphiCine (I think), but a big thing in Trails of Cold Steel as well is the super gross depiction of lesbians as being hyper predatory. It is what stopped me from progressing very far in even the first game, and I hear it just gets worse and keeps going.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
This has come up before in the thread, specifically from myself and I want to say SapphiCine (I think), but a big thing in Trails of Cold Steel as well is the super gross depiction of lesbians as being hyper predatory. It is what stopped me from progressing very far in even the first game, and I hear it just gets worse and keeps going.
Twas me indeed. I was in the same room as my girlfriend playing through the games, though she stopped midway through III. Cold Steel is a dumpster fire. The lesbian sexual assault scene is the most lesbophobic and uncomfortable thing I have ever scene in a popular JRPG series.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, there's a character that gropes people, just straight up sexual assault.
The game treats sexual assault as a "fun" part of their characterisation.
(Removed the video)

With the character I think you're thinking of, Angelica, they even do a whole thing where she's actually straight. urgh.

Last edited:

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there's a character that gropes people:
With the character I think you're thinking of, Angelica, they even do a whole thing where she's actually straight. urgh.

I hate, HATE, that this is even a different predatory lesbian than the one I was thinking of from the first game. It is not just a terrible character, its a deliberate trend.

Edit: I was editing the post to remove the video since you two had, and I only now noticed that you said they later claim Angelica is straight. She's what, just a straight girl who loves preying on women because reasons?

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

I don't think posting a direct link to the scene is a good idea, with it depicting sexual assault.
I hate, HATE, that this is even a different predatory lesbian than the one I was thinking of from the first game. It is not just a terrible character, its a deliberate trend.
Yep. It's truly horrible.

Edit: Thanks for removing the link Jonnax.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, Kiseki games, or hell, Falcom games in general, keep getting worse and worse with that shit. It's really depressing. It seems that Rixia girl (I've only seen her briefly) is even more ridiculous than before, and that new character is by far the worse one yet. Looks like a straight-up parody.

Don't know if I'll bother with Cold Steel 4 at this point, let alone that new one. CS3 was a slog to get through.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
These days it's probably easier to list the JRPGs that don't feature sexual assault "humour" in them :/
I hate, HATE, that this is even a different predatory lesbian than the one I was thinking of from the first game. It is not just a terrible character, its a deliberate trend
I think the worst I've come across is in the Atelier series, where there's a middle-aged woman who drugs her students with youth potions so they stay at the "ideal age" of 14. She also likes to molest said students and force them to wear skimpy clothing. The games treat this as the height of comedy.

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I had always planned to getting around to the Cold Steel games after I polished off the Trails in the Sky titles (games I like a lot, but still have some problematic stuff in them)... not any more. Those designs are as bad as a character design can be. Those are Berseria tier designs. That "hooded woman" one is particularly awful.

I'm surprised they're actually admitting this.

I think they have decided to finally just embraced that the fighting game they make is, at this point, for horny perverts by horny perverts. There is nothing more to it than that.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
this is probably a tall order but can anyone rec a jrpg that doesn't feature ANY bullshit (sexual assault for laughs, ridiculous skimpy outfits, misogyny, homophobia etc). bc i love ffxii but even that is not immune (fran is an awesome character in a stupid outfit). ffxv... i love the bros but its treatment of women is frankly horrendous. let's not get started on persona.

Last edited:

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how much I've bounced off of JRPGs as I get older and as I focus more on how games treat minority characters. I got through FF7:R because my nostalgia and love for the original knows no bounds, but even in that game it was hard to hand-wave a lot of the male gaze camera angles (among other issues).

I'm still holding out for a big twist of Tifa and Aeris becoming a couple and Cloud going full bisexual, but I know that will NEVER happen.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The past commercials for DOA were not subtle about this.

It is true that they have always leaned into it, but they used to also pretend to be more than that. I think they have given up on everything that isn't the sexual exploitation of women. They also briefly attempted to distance themselves from their reputation, but then they realized that move would completely isolate their entire fanbase, so they have been quintupling down ever since.

this is probably a tall order but can anyone rec a jrpg that doesn't feature ANY bullshit (sexual assault for laughs, ridiculous skimpy outfits, misogyny, homophobia etc). bc i love ffxii but even that is not immune (fran is an awesome character in a stupid outfit). ffxv... i love the bros but its treatment of women is frankly horrendous. let's not get started on persona.

The first three Suikoden games should be a good place to start. Also, Phantasy Star IV (I at least don't remember anything objectionable in that one). Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre are all good on that front, too. Also, as problematic as the Persona games are now, the Persona 2 games (there are two of them) don't have any of that shit and are pretty great.

Last edited:

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
this is probably a tall order but can anyone rec a jrpg that doesn't feature ANY bullshit (sexual assault for laughs, ridiculous skimpy outfits, misogyny, homophobia etc). bc i love ffxii but even that is not immune (fran is an awesome character in a stupid outfit). let's not get started on persona.
I think Suikoden 2 and 3 are safe, if you don't mind their vintage.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Umm...DBZ Attack of the Saiyans? Been years since I played it though :X
The Mario and Luigi games too I guess.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
You'll be lucky to find much past the PS2 era. That's when it all started to nose-dive.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
this is probably a tall order but can anyone rec a jrpg that doesn't feature ANY bullshit (sexual assault for laughs, ridiculous skimpy outfits, misogyny, homophobia etc). bc i love ffxii but even that is not immune (fran is an awesome character in a stupid outfit). let's not get started on persona.

Yeah it's a tall order, eventually it just comes down to the level to which it plays a role in the greater whole. Even the original Trails trilogy had the step-brother/sister kinda-sorta-but-not-really-incest.

If you focus entirely on games PS2-on (I'm fairly certain we'd have gotten gross stuff earlier if not for technical limitations, see: PC visual novels of the late '80s, early '90s) it gets even more difficult. There's Dragon Quest XI but even that has puff-puff and I've yet to reach the part with Jade - plus that series' composer is an absolute scumbag so even if it was perfect in-game, the outside context is terrible.

Maybe Ni no Kuni? The Mario RPGs too but they regularly deal with damsels-in-distress, besides SMRPG and Super Paper Mario (and the OG Paper Mario has Peach at least make an effort on her own to escape, TTYD too but that inexplicably has a shower scene).

Last edited:

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Maybe Ni no Kuni? The Mario RPGs too but they regularly deal with damsels-in-distress, besides Super Paper Mario (and the OG Paper Mario has Peach at least make an effort on her own to escape, TTYD too but that inexplicably has a shower scene).
Oh yeah, I think both No No Kuni games are safe from that!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
If you go back far enough, there's plenty. There's a reason why it used to be my favourite genre but that I've become completely alienated. At the most you'd get one or two somewhat skimpy outfits out of a large cast, and it'd still be magnitudes more tasteful than the trash that's been posted a few posts up, like Suikoden 1 and 2 (which has a cast of literally 108 so you'll find 1 or 2 women dressed questionably, but most are fine) or Phantasy Star IV.

And then you have stuff like Shining Force 1, 2 and 3, Breath of Fire 3, Final Fantasy Tactics, Wild ARMs and Panzer Dragoon Saga (the latter of which is impossible to find though) which have none of that shit.

But those games are ancient... :( Some of them are available digitally on PSN (PS3/PSP/Vita only because fuck Sony), or Steam (the Sega Genesis games are there for $1 each).

Recently, you might want to try indies like Cosmic Star Heroine, Fell Seal, or Skyborn. They're not technically Japanese, though.

For high-budget JRPGs, Octopath Traveler is probably your best bet, but it still features Primrose. Her outfit is not the worst, but her story is ridiculously sexist IMO and clearly written by a man who doesn't understand how women think.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017

Super Mario RPG? Sorry, I haven't played many JRPGs.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019

From what I remember Baten Kaitos had some cool and unique designs, also wasn't particularly tropey, however it was a long time ago when I played

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
...Star Ocean 3? 🤔
It's been a few years since I've played it, granted, but I don't recall anything worse in that than Nel's outfit or Sophia's weirdly unbuttoned pants at the start of the game. The skimpiest outfit of the cast actually belongs to a guy lol.
Although I guess Nel's look might not pass your test cuz she do have a lotta leg exposed, but idk I never felt the game or its artwork sexualized her despite it.
I wouldn't be surprised if 1 & 2 were fine, too, but I haven't played them. And we won't talk about 4 and 5 lol.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
You'll be lucky to find much past the PS2 era. That's when it all started to nose-dive.
I think that's when JRPGs really started to circle the drain on this topic. I dimly remember some DS ones being alright like Radiant Historia (not like the graphics allowed for much), but I can't remember much from the last decade that was free of Persephone's list. SMTIV sprang to mind, but it's still ridiculous that the lead female character, Isabeau, is a fantasy samurai warrior like the others but has to wear a short skirt for hand-to-hand combat with demons because that's the dumb template. And even then a couple of years later the sequel, SMTIV:Apocalypse, went 'nah, we're going full-on anime teen high-school harem' (while people are getting ripped apart as they cower in fortified strongholds).

I usually crack through about a dozen portable RPGs a year, and looking at my list of what I've played over the last five years, I came up with SMTIV and Monster Hunter Stories out of 50-odd JRPGs, the latter of which is aimed at younger players and the former has very little characterisation outside of being walking metaphors for law/neutral/chaos.

Last edited:

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Struggling to think of anything that has literally nothing... The World Ends With You might be pretty close? Shiki's got like a bared midriff but the game is heavily fashion-based and it fits into the overall style and makes sense, at least. I haven't played it in years and years, so I don't remember if there was any writing bullshit in it anywhere or if any of the bosses had stupid designs or whatever.

SMT Nocturne fits the bill in terms of the human characters, but the demons are based on world mythology, so you do have like skimpy succubus designs mixed into the enemies, for example.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, but aren't they good games? I wanted to try them.

I've only finished the Trails in the Sky Trilogy and they are excellent games, I am waiting for the 5th game(Ao no Kiseki) to be fantranslated to play everything else(the series is 10 games long if we count the brand new Hajimari no Kiseki).

At the very least I can recommend the Sky trilogy, they are incredible games and the first 2 of them have an amazing female protag.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I've only finished the Trails in the Sky Trilogy and they are excellent games, I am waiting for the 5th game(Ao no Kiseki) to be fantranslated to play everything else(the series is 10 games long if we count the brand new Hajimari no Kiseki).

At the very least I can recommend the Sky trilogy, they are incredible games and the first 2 of them have an amazing female protag.
Oh nice, I would love to try the Sky trilogy, yeah I heard she was great as well.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Man, those Hajimari designs are traaaaash. I've held off on playing the Cold Steel games, despite being super invested in the world and lore after the Sky trilogy (which, despite a few missteps - hi, Luciola - was full of heart and treated its female characters with respect, both design and writing wise) because it looked like the devs just decided to dive headlong into pandering, harmful tropes and frankly embarrassing character designs. And if anything, they seem to be getting worse.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Wild Arms 3? I'm re-playing it now again and haven't seen anything like that. The female characters aren't developed well but neither are the male characters, I think that's more writing of the era than anything. Virginia the lead protagonist has a pretty cool design too.

latest

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Wild Arms 3? I'm re-playing it now again and haven't seen anything like that. The female characters aren't developed well but neither are the male characters, I think that's more writing of the era than anything. Virginia the lead protagonist has a pretty cool design too.

latest
I got to try the Wild Arms series!