• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
"surely that title can't be an actual quote by an actual resetera poster," i hear you say. to which i reply: oh my sweet summer child

https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-read-op.4483/

I want to get out of the way that I am a sex positive feminist, and when I criticise sexualized female character designs, it has nothing to do with prudishness or slut-shaming or anything like that; instead, it comes from a place of frustration, because how the hell are we supposed to combat sexism in gaming when one of the biggest examples of that--that serves to both reinforce and reflect sexist viewpoints--is consistently let slide?

Because yes, if you have a game where all the dudes are covered from head to toe and your one female character is running around in a trash bag bikini and looking thoroughly uncomfortable about it, it's sexist. It reinforces the (already widespread, particularly in gaming "culture") idea that women are objects who exist solely for male titillation and pleasure. It's not "puritanism", it's wanting to be treated like goddamn people.

There's nothing wrong with a female character wearing a bikini if, for example, a game is set on a beach, and the male characters are in their swimming trunks. Complaining about that would be prudishness, and a little ridiculous. But it often seems like developers are so desperate for boobs that they're willing to break the audience's suspension of disbelief and hurt their own narrative in the process, and it's like, wow, do you really want to objectify women that badly? Can't you just leave us alone for five fucking minutes? Because Quiet breathing through her skin is not a compelling reason for a trash bag bikini, within the narrative or outside of it. If you really, really want to stick with the skin-breathing, fuck, just dress her in a sports bra and running shorts. At least that would be practical, and not grossly out of character. Cindy is a mechanic in the fucking desert who walks around in hot pants and a bikini top, because she has grease-repelling skin that never burns, I guess. Meanwhile, Noctis and co. roll up in jeans and t-shirts. It's like, okay, we get it, this game is for dudes and the women are there for eye candy. Can we stop now, please? We're just so fucking tired of this. And then we get steamrolled by dudes who barge in and try to insist that this shit is actually empowering and we're just prudes, and, like, we get it, you don't want anyone to take your boobs away, stop pretending it's some righteous cause, thanks.

(I've talked about objectified female characters in gaming before, and I have received some amazing responses: I'm jealous because I'm a fat ugly loser; I have no idea what I'm talking about and Quiet wearing a trash bag bikini is actually empowering and feminist; "ohmygod why are you trying to take away my BEWBS"... you get the idea. Still, hopefully this time will go a little better.)

i used to give a fuck about making these ops seem professional so the Gamers wouldn't be scared away but i dont give a fuck anymore so here's the lowdown:
  • women & women-aligned ppl (henceforth referred to as women for brevity) are sick and tired of being treated like sacks of meat for the consumption of the cishet male gaze
  • this thread is a safe space for discussion and venting by and for women. non-women ARE allowed to participate but only if they behave themselves. bullshit WILL be actioned by mods.
  • despite the title (which is a holdover from the original) this is a thread for feminist discussion of all aspects of video games, not just character designs
and some pre-emptive rebuttals (revised edition):
  • "you'd get more people on ur side if you weren't such a rude bitch" i literally don't give a fuck
  • "something something pussy heat sink something something words and deeds" it's time to stop posting
  • "but her ass IS part of her character!" "dummy thicc" isn't a myers-briggs type
  • "sex sells" repeatedly proven not to be the case but go off i guess
  • "lol i love teh bewbs" good for you. fuck off
  • "lmao dumb feminazis trying to censor games" it's not censoring. it's criticism. it's asking to be treated like goddamn people.
  • "you're a prude" i'm a sex-positive feminist. that means i support women's right to control over their own bodies without judgement. that does not extend to 1000 year old loli dragons designed by and for men to get their nasty rocks off.
  • "wHaT iF sHe ChOsE tO wEaR iT????????" she's not fucking real you drooling bottomfeeder, she can't decide anything because she's a fictional construct!!!! she's a bunch of pixels!!!! she has no agency!!!!
  • "men are sexualised too" call me when we get dick physics in video games, then we'll talk about male sexualisation.
  • "vote with your wallet" gee it's almost like this is an epidemic in gaming and finding games in the genre we like, with gameplay we like, a story we like, characters we like, and no bullshit designs anywhere to be found is a fucking sisyphean task. fucking great games have this problem. skyrim? dragon age origins? boob armour. boob armour everywhere. if we voted with our wallets we wouldn't be able to play fucking anything
  • "my wife/girlfriend/sister/daughter/gardener/friend's cousin's sister-in-law's mother's dog's walker's chemist doesn't think it's sexist!" then she can come on here and make an account and speak for her own damn self, can't she? assuming she actually exists, of course
  • "lmao typical prudish americans, in MY sexually liberated country we don't care about these things!!" i'm not american. a vast proportion of the women in this thread are not american. this is a universal problem
  • "you don't speak for all women!!!!11!1!" neither do you. now what?
ff45bf03b91b4d45e988ca7742c46c8b.png

ca0637aa09c17de8a695ea70dcfef2c5.png

Last edited by a moderator:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Persephone's first post in these threads gives me life. Each one is a beautiful creation and worthy of admiration.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
2b is overplayed at this point tbh

I agree. I think one of the real problems with a thread title that mentions 2B specifically would be that even more of this thread would be dominated by discussion about her design. It is already a recurring discussion, but things may get out of hand if she was specifically named in the title.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
On the new DOAX character, I'm actually not sure these games have volleyball anymore. Also, it's saying something that Tecmo has declined to release DOAX in any western country, instead releasing an "Asian version" that can be played in English.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
As a cishet guy, this thread is not really for me as mentioned in the OP. And that's perfectly fine. If it's okay though, I'd like to say one thing in it.

I 100% fucking agree with the content of this thread including the OP, and y'all keep fighting the good fight. Thumbs up.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Hi everyone, I don't post a lot but I look forward to reading another big thread. Even I've been guilty of saying one of the arguments in the OP before! I love the armor bingo btw lol.

Metalsnakezero "otaku" doesn't mean fat!

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Persephone your OPs are always on point!

Hope to be more active in this installment of the thread!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Always enjoy reading this thread, congrats on making it to OT3 everyone. Or, does that mean we've seen too much idiocy and there's still so much more to see... :D

Hi everyone, I don't post a lot but I look forward to reading another big thread. Even I've been guilty of saying one of the arguments in the OP before! I love the armor bingo btw lol.

Metalsnakezero "otaku" doesn't mean fat!
Probably didn't mean to write it like that.

Going back to DOA's Otaku girl, it going to be trend of this DOA game where they'll fetishize anything. I fear they'll start having POC (other than Asian) in this game if they can slap a bikini on them.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
On the new DOAX character, I'm actually not sure these games have volleyball anymore. Also, it's saying something that Tecmo has declined to release DOAX in any western country, instead releasing an "Asian version" that can be played in English.
Since it has gacha and f2p mechanics, they probably made more money from DOAX3 than they ever did from DOA6. I dont expect to see another fighting game.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Sweet, new thread to lurk. I should play TLoU2 so I can finally read all the spoiler posts sometime soon. I know everyone loves Abby, but I have no clue who she is, but the few screenshots I've seen of her look good.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
"but her ass IS part of her character!" "dummy thicc" isn't a myers-briggs type

I SCREAMED.

I love that this thread is on its third OT already. I haven't posted a lot, but this is one of my favorite threads to follow, the discussions are always a level above the usual trite one sees when feminist topics turn up in gamer spaces. Keep up the good work peeps!

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Haha, great thread subtitle, i remember seeing that stated here multiple times.

• "my wife/girlfriend/sister/daughter/gardener/friend's cousin's sister-in-law's mother's dog's walker's chemist doesn't think it's sexist!" then she can come on here and make an account and speak for her own damn self, can't she? assuming she actually exists, of course

Oh this one is a classic, there must have been hundreds of variations on this in the earlier threads.

What even is that game at this point.
Dead-or-Alive-Xtreme-Venus-Vacation-Tsukushi-Siliconera-9.jpg

Big o'l yikes.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Probably didn't mean to write it like that.

Going back to DOA's Otaku girl, it going to be trend of this DOA game where they'll fetishize anything. I fear they'll start having POC (other than Asian) in this game if they can slap a bikini on them.

OK I thought so. There's certainly nothing about her that wouldn't make her an otaku. Not that I would ever really use that word to describe myself, like you probably wouldn't want to call yourself a "gamer" either. They can leave us out of DOA though, I agree about that. Not to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a POC DOA character. At least I'm pretty sure there is.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing work as always, Persephone.

From my perspective as a man, I am happy to know this thread will continue to reprimand, teach and educate those willing to be. I count myself among those this thread did that to quite some time ago, and these days my relationships with women couldn't be more fulfilling. Be that romantic or otherwise, be that lovers, friends or strangers, seeing women for everything they are beyond the tripe of sexualization and objectification is the only right option and as much as they deserve. I am sure more men will come to realize this thanks to the amazing efforts of everyone that continues to contribute to this thread.

Of course, I am sad to say there will be material to laugh and cry at for years to come. Here is to all the manbabies to be banned, and all of you still bearing with their shit. Hear, hear!