• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Remember when Ys was cool?

0L5nuKF.jpg

Because I'm starting to forget.

I mean, remember, this is the game where Adol is shot with a goth gun and turned into a goth boy.

Ys always had questionable designs, we just don't think about them as much because most of the designs are fine. Remember, one of the central characters in y's 8 didn't wear a shirt.

2d4de37be3cdf765d8493827b76a2072.jpg

EIGHT YEARS OLD.

There's one like that in all of them back as far as ys 4.

I have no idea how the high-leg thong became so popular in anime. Like 5 years ago it was rare-ish but now it seems everywhere.

80's workout fashion is coming back in style. I blame Stranger Things.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Blue and white fits her better I agree, but she has pants now.

The characters in Strive look more representative of Ishiwatari's art to me. It's always been anime, but all the women had an extra layer of moe in Xrd.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
This is how it is with most JRPG franchises.

The games didn't change. Anime aesthetic changed, the games just kept up with those trends. It's honestly a main reason I don't get into most new JRPGs anymore. I don't like the character designs.

Some of the big franchises like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest have been able to stick with the same character designers for 20-30 years and thus achieve a consistent aesthetic. I'm just not down with the otaku shit that cropped up over the last 15 years or so.
Agree with you there.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
XyLTD06.jpg

From Fire Emblem Cipher according to tags where I got it. Is it just me or is her left leg like twice as long as her right? Like it's just not perspective

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
So i've been going through the Danganronpa series which has been hit or miss but anyway I just got through 1/2 and got through that awful DR3 anime. I noticed an annoying trope used throughout this series and starting DR V3 I had my hopes up because nothing could hit low like the anime and i just need to vent :
SPOILERS for DR1/2/3 Anime and V3(I only just finished Chp 1) SPOILERS

Holy fucking shit this series loves killing off female characters to motivate the male protag. DR3 anime was pretty much fueled by this. Kirigiri sacrificing herself for Naegi, Chiaki dying for Hajime and the teacher for that Yu Narukami looking dude.

So I went into V3 completely blind but before playing i was talking to my brother about how refreshing these VN type games(Ace attorney, DR, Nonary games etc) would be with female protag. So upon starting V3 I was ecstatic I was playing a girl but all through chap 1 things didn't feel right:
1. Kaede being a main character with an actual talent
2. Shuichi being connected to your hip 90% of the chap where my first thought is this is a clear deuteragonist
3. Kaedes hopefulness seemed too on the nose

lo and behold the chap one twist kills off Kaede and makes Shuichi the main character. If this was the first game in the series i might have been surprised but the fact that this series rely's this trope killed any suspense I would have felt from the twist. I still plan on finishing V3 but I was so upset after Chp 1 I had to put it down and vent my frustrations. I don't want to go to any DR threads to avoid spoilers but the reason im irritated is in line with this thread. That being said Im also aware of how many problematic tropes are sprinkled through this series female cast( i completely skipped over ultra despair girls for being a complete waste of data)

grand

Oct 25, 2017
XyLTD06.jpg

From Fire Emblem Cipher according to tags where I got it. Is it just me or is her left leg like twice as long as her right? Like it's just not perspective
That's the card game which commissions all that art from freelance illustrators. So the quality (and perviness) of the artwork ranges wildly. Incorrect body proportions isn't too uncommon in freelance which can be filled with young & beginning artists.

...That said, the artist's 2nd artwork of the character is even more pervy. Unsurprisingly.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So i've been going through the Danganronpa series which has been hit or miss but anyway I just got through 1/2 and got through that awful DR3 anime. I noticed an annoying trope used throughout this series and starting DR V3 I had my hopes up because nothing could hit low like the anime and i just need to vent :

Holy fucking shit this series loves killing off female characters to motivate the male protag. DR3 anime was pretty much fueled by this. Kirigiri sacrificing herself for Naegi, Chiaki dying for Hajime and the teacher for that Yu Narukami looking dude.

So I went into V3 completely blind but before playing i was talking to my brother about how refreshing these VN type games(Ace attorney, DR, Nonary games etc) would be with female protag. So upon starting V3 I was ecstatic I was playing a girl but all through chap 1 things didn't feel right:
2. Shuichi being connected to your hip 90% of the chap where my first thought is this is a clear deuteragonist

lo and behold the chap one twist kills off Kaede and makes Shuichi the main character. If this was the first game in the series i might have been surprised but the fact that this series rely's this trope killed any suspense I would have felt from the twist. I still plan on finishing V3 but I was so upset after Chp 1 I had to put it down and vent my frustrations. I don't want to go to any DR threads to avoid spoilers but the reason im irritated is in line with this thread. That being said Im also aware of how many problematic tropes are sprinkled through this series female cast( i completely skipped over ultra despair girls for being a complete waste of data)

This was largely why V3 is one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. Like you, I knew it was coming but I was still so mad. I put the game down for days because I couldn't get over it.

I did end up going back to the game to finish it, but the game never recovered from that move for me and I still hate the game now years later. I hope it works out differently for you though!

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That was so annoying cause I remember

Dagonronpa V3 advertising the female protag....only to kill her off as the Ch 1 twist. Which was just...bleh.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
This was largely why V3 is one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. Like you, I knew it was coming but I was still so mad. I put the game down for days because I couldn't get over it.

I did end up going back to the game to finish it, but the game never recovered from that move for me and I still hate the game now years later. I hope it works out differently for you though!
Yea the feeling I had at the moment made me really feel like "Do i really want to keep playing?". But I also feel like i know better especially with
All the wild female characters, I knew a japanese game couldn't give up needing a bland boy to try to do some self insert shipping type dynamic(this is just speculation lol. AND THEY even let you do 3 FTE with Kaede and it was nice seeing two girls bonding in a FTE in this series.
To the DR team you know what would have shocked me more? if you reversed the roles of the two THAT would have been a bigger shock to me then what they did....

Foot

Mar 10, 2019

God, INFURIATING. I haven't been able to go back since.
they also make sure to have a scene where she's in her bra shortly before killing her off. Got to get all the ogling in before it's too late!

Cowardly damn game.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yea the feeling I had at the moment made me really feel like "Do i really want to keep playing?". But I also feel like i know better especially with
All the wild female characters, I knew a japanese game couldn't give up needing a bland boy to try to do some self insert shipping type dynamic(this is just speculation lol. AND THEY even let you do 3 FTE with Kaede and it was nice seeing two girls bonding in a FTE in this series.
To the DR team you know what would have shocked me more? if you reversed the roles of the two THAT would have been a bigger shock to me then what they did....

Exactly. It's frustrating because it was so easy to see coming compared to the example you gave. Like if they were trying to surprise you they did an awful job.

And I agree, it was so nice to see girl-girl FTEs and I felt like every FTE I played before she died was great. Kaede was a breath of fresh air compared to previous DR protagonists so more than me just being miffed at the sexism it's just that we lost a really interesting character too. I would've loved to see her ideals about hope gradually breaking down over the course of the game as more people died, and she's not a detective like Shuichi so she'd probably struggle more with gathering evidence and making deductions too. Such a wasted opportunity.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through Danganronpa as well. Only a little bit into the second game, so of course they needed to level up the perviness With Teruteru and Mikan and put the girls in bikinis.

ugh, I really like the games though.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Playing through Danganronpa as well. Only a little bit into the second game, so of course they needed to level up the perviness With Teruteru and Mikan and put the girls in bikinis.

ugh, I really like the games though.
I enjoy the overall type of game that Danganronpa is but so many of the female characters are treated like crap in the series.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

wait until you see how trashy they
treat women when they die

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy the overall type of game that Danganronpa is but so many of the female characters are treated like crap in the series.
There was only one instance that stood out to me in the first game (involving the second case). Curious about opinions on Toko.

The tone in DR2 is completely different, I guess because the first game wasn't humorous enough? All the guys are super horny. Gundham is perfect though, they better not ruin him.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I'm playing Warriors Orochi 4 again and I forgot how bad Athena is.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f774b774f534a6a41755a304233673d3d2d3833333537363839342e3135656564333364313532626661613739393235313139373231372e6a7067

She's worse from the back. Where you can literally see about 90% of her ass at all times. She's meant to be a badass, no-nonsense warrior in this game.

I can take some solace in that some dude's get the same treatment.

latest

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
There was only one instance that stood out to me in the first game (involving the second case). Curious about opinions on Toko.

The tone in DR2 is completely different, I guess because the first game wasn't humorous enough? All the guys are super horny. Gundham is perfect though, they better not ruin him.

Gundham is still best boy

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

Not a fan of how Toko
falls into the "is someone who was abused and turns into abuser (or in her case specifically a killer) themselves" trope.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing Warriors Orochi 4 again and I forgot how bad Athena is.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f774b774f534a6a41755a304233673d3d2d3833333537363839342e3135656564333364313532626661613739393235313139373231372e6a7067

She's worse from the back. Where you can literally see about 90% of her ass at all times. She's meant to be a badass, no-nonsense warrior in this game.

I can take some solace in that some dude's get the same treatment.

latest
Oh god you just reminded me how bad all the warriors orochi designs were, yeah athena is jus 90% black pantyshot, but I find all the designs questionable like they don't "fit" any of the beings they're based off

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of how Toko
falls into the "is someone who was abused and turns into abuser (or in her case specifically a killer) themselves" trope.
I liked her overall

must have glossed over the abuse, that's unfortunate.

Girls in these games fall into fairly standard archetypes. I'm surprised a character like Sakura even exists. Then their follow-up is basically Akane.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017

This turned me off of the game for a while also, and the additional kick to the rear is that IIRC from what I saw via a spoiler online... (Note, late-game spoiler.)

Apparently Kaede actually didn't kill anyone, she was framed by the mastermind.

Last edited:

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
This turned me off of the game for a while also, and the additional kick to the rear is that IIRC from what I saw via a spoiler online...

Apparently Kaede actually didn't kill anyone, she was framed by the mastermind.
That user is still in chapter 1 and what you posted is a MASSIVE SPOILER.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies, I thought I had marked it late-game spoiler but apparently I hadn't. I updated my original post accordingly.
Its cool I didn't see it, I'm currently on Chap 4 atm. Hopefully i can beat it by 2mrw night( got 3 more days of quarantine).

Its funny I had a friend say Miu is one of the best DR girls in the series and i've been over her schtick since chap 2.

Barrel-kun

Banned
Nov 23, 2019

Oh man someone finally said. This seriously pissed me off when they did it. It felt like such a kick in the stomach because Japanese games nortoriously pander to otakus by having self-insert dudes be the protagonist. So when a game has a female protagonist it feels like a huge get. So when the game pulls that shit it's frankly outrageous imo. The final twist in the game which I won't spoil it ruined it for me but frankly I found the bait and switch ruined it for me from the get go.

On topic though are there any straight dudes in this thread who like T&A but also agrees that it can degrade certain games? I must admit some of the stuff in this thread posted I like it because I'm dumb gorilla but I want more strong not-sexualised female characters in games too!

Something like Senran Kagura doesn't bother me but Xenoblade 2 being horny on main 100% time does. Because SK is a game intended for that T&A audience only but Xenoblade is trying to be a serious RPG with depth and mainstream appeal. The dudes are treated seriously and respectfully but the girls are dressed like strippers and nobody comments on it. There's so much cognitive dissonance and it's just plain disrespectful.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Yeah, in the old version the women were allowed to look as goofy and cartoony as the men. In that new version the men stay goofy, while the women are changed to be beautiful and have sexy expressions.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
DR1/2 is a awk series to recc'd to ppl since so many problematic scenes and I'm like but it gets better?!

I quit DR3 for the same reasons and no regrets despite liking DR2 a lot. It's a shame since their male MCs are more normal within the story and less cringe.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This is how it is with most JRPG franchises.

The games didn't change. Anime aesthetic changed, the games just kept up with those trends. It's honestly a main reason I don't get into most new JRPGs anymore. I don't like the character designs.

Some of the big franchises like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest have been able to stick with the same character designers for 20-30 years and thus achieve a consistent aesthetic. I'm just not down with the otaku shit that cropped up over the last 15 years or so.

This post nails it, and it hurts so much. I miss 80s anime designs in anime, but I especially miss JRPGs having 80s anime designs. For me the one franchise embodying this is Phantasy Star.

Final Fantasy avoided this fate only because they went with realism (or at the very least, "realistic anime") instead. Unfortunately that's a direction that I don't find terribly compelling either, but I'll take over current anime any day.

I hated the first game so I never played any of the sequels. This is beyond awful but not all that surprising given my interation with the first game, which goes full anime (and not in a good way; not that, as pointed out above, there's a "good way" of going anime nowadays) by the second half and never looks back.

Metal Slug once again rears its head with the overt sexualization of their characters

I absolutely love how the guys are mostly untouched in terms of design, while the women are replaced by generic bishojos. They're literally unrecognizable.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Also do not forget Metal Slug 3 version.
MPwsCb5.png
There's people on Twitter trying to argue that because the art style changes from game to game, complaining about the new game is null and void, but here there's not as drastic a difference in facial features.

Other games are pretty consistent even when they moved away from deformity

EbjS3GzVAAAxV_h

EbjS3nFUMAA62cn

For the record, I think the game looks surprisingly great. This is just a minor disappointment and really highlights the problem with character design.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Metal Slug once again rears its head with the overt sexualization of their characters

EF7fRElXkAA7Dzb.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Those new designs, at least the women, look very similar in style to an artist I follow on Twitter. 🤔 I don't care for Metal Slug but the big problem I see here is that both Eri and Fio have the same exact face shape, meanwhile the men have far more stylized and cartoon silhouettes. The men look like they belong in a different game.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
At least that scene had some kind of justification (since Katrina broke into his apartment without his knowledge[...]
Wow, Kojima really hasn't changed. He used this exact setup for a shower surprise in Death Stranding. 😑
It's almost special to see so many strong contenders for ugliest costume of the gen in one image

pink hair lady... is that a door knocker on her crotch
I still love Ys, but the biggest mistake the series has made is embracing whatever art style this is. They had a great, classic looking style all the way up through Ys origins, and even had reasonable looking female characters.

Everything since the jump to 3D has been a mess.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
At least the metal slug characters are still discernable despite different art styles. Like I can look at new Fio and tell who she is by her giant specs.
db1883542r251ukjbv.png

The Metal Slug characters kind of remind me of this.
Lol, you're not wrong. I couldn't find the original image but this the entire cast of metal slug xx.
metal_slug_xx_chars.png

Which in game, are still just small sprites.
latest

Status
Not open for further replies.