• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I installed a spoiler-blocking extension that works by detecting keywords and this page is now completely red... It's probably nothing but I dare not click 😰

Guess I'm out of this thread for a while~

There are currently no TLOU2 spoilers. Thank god. I don't think anyone here will be discussing them until they come out hopefully.

May 13, 2019
Funny becaused I've heard Kyrie being compared to Marie from Persona 4 Golden and its not a coincidence.
I'm reminded of Shiki from The World Ends With You.
latest

Must be hat and the midriff baring outfit.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Rockstar has done far more damage than any anime game

All of the people I've seen complaining about SJWs, beta-males, liberals, and "politics in muh vdya games" all tend to glamorize Japanese games and have anime avatars.

I don't see how Rockstar is more to blame than anime games for these folks viewpoints on what isn't or is a correct women character design.

Western developers have begun to change how they deisgn women whereas a lot of Japanese devs, beyond the RE folks, are still stuck in the old 'fan-service' days.

May 13, 2019
Meme Miyazaki was right: anime was a mistake. It's distorted so many people into what a 'women' should look like.
To me, Miyazaki is an elitist old grump who hates all the media but his own works. I do not care about his opinion on anything.

Western developers have begun to change how they deisgn women whereas a lot of Japanese devs, beyond the RE folks, are still stuck in the old 'fan-service' days.
Given that pretty much all the push for better representation comes from the West, this is not surprising at all.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
The thing that pisses me off is that these are the same people that would harrass and mock someone who complains about any of the sexualized designs that appears in any anime or japanese game and then make videos titled " SJW and haters harrass artist" or some shit

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
To me, Miyazaki is an elitist old grump who hates all the media but his own works. I do not care about his opinion on anything.
He didn't actually say that, btw. It was from a documentary where he was complaining about people in the anime and manga industries not drawing inspiration from life and experiences but from other anime and manga.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
All of the people I've seen complaining about SJWs, beta-males, liberals, and "politics in muh vdya games" all tend to glamorize Japanese games and have anime avatars.

I don't see how Rockstar is more to blame than anime games for these folks viewpoints on what isn't or is a correct women character design.

Structurally speaking, I think the underlying problems and unbalanced power/gender dynamics of society will simply be expressed and filtered through the specific lens of whatever forms of media happen to be popular among a particular community.

Given that Japanese-influenced popular entertainment has increasingly spread across the world in recent decades, as part of a historical process that the Internet has only accelerated, it's almost inevitable that both dominant and minority populations will tend to adopt such aesthetics.

I believe you're right to describe a perception that has had visible roots in reality. There are vocal complainers who claim Japan is "right" and the West is "wrong" regarding female character designs and somehow can't stand to see a developer (Japanese or otherwise) choose to portray a non-sexualized person.

At the same time, there are many women and queer individuals, for example, who have gravitated to anime-related works and even used them as a means of expression or escape from their own collective and personal situations (which in turn leads to creative products that aren't free of tropes or which may involve another set of problematic elements, of course, but I guess that's also part of human nature).

Last edited:

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Miyazaki makes fantastic films with excellent representation of women and girls. Where's that anime thread?

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
At the same time, there are many women and queer individuals, for example, who have gravitated to anime-related works and even used them as a means of expression or escape from their own collective and personal situations (which in turn leads to creative products that aren't free of tropes or which may involve another set of problematic elements, of course, but I guess that's also part of human nature).

There's a part of my dysphoria where I have a strong desire to be "cutesy" and anime girls (and boys too sometimes) tend to just nail it from time to time. It's easy for me to latch on to certain characters or designs cause I just go, "See! I wish I could look like that just once."

Though, to be fair, I do the same for western media that tends to hit my dysphoria just right. I can't really explain it that well as I don't 100% understand it myself. It does lead to me liking some problematic designs posted in this thread (I still recognize them as such, obviously).

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
And here I was interested in picking up FF7R. Welp.
Kyrie is on screen maybe 5 minutes total and even then only if you do all side quests, so she's not really a reason I'd skip FFVIIR for. There are some other stuff that's problematic from this angle which YMMV on (Tifa's more casual behaviour can be too anime cutesy girly, though they tone that down a lot once things get more serious)

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
He didn't actually say that, btw. It was from a documentary where he was complaining about people in the anime and manga industries not drawing inspiration from life and experiences but from other anime and manga.
Most of the classics from Japan are based on real-life experiences though. Famously, Pokemon. But Chrono Trigger came from the joy of passing seasons (where the time travel motif actually came from), and Final Fantasy VI is basically a cyberpunk dystopia inspired by a sense of how one of the directors came to self-actualization. Valkyrie Profile takes heavily from mythology and history and reworks it into a narrative about the nature of power and oppression.

Now we literally have Final Fantasies that are just ouroboric. Each one consuming and excreting another.

But hey! Kingdom Hearts III! -_-

Last edited:

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
There's a part of my dysphoria where I have a strong desire to be "cutesy" and anime girls (and boys too sometimes) tend to just nail it from time to time. It's easy for me to latch on to certain characters or designs cause I just go, "See! I wish I could look like that just once."

Though, to be fair, I do the same for western media that tends to hit my dysphoria just right. I can't really explain it that well as I don't 100% understand it myself. It does lead to me liking some problematic designs posted in this thread (I still recognize them as such, obviously).

Thanks for pointing out your personal experience. Those kinds of situations can be included within that reference, yes, because it does happen.

Speaking for myself, this thread has provided a critical approach to the various issues derived from how female characters are often portrayed in games and thus it may contribute to a better understanding of why many women dislike such designs, but as you've noted, it doesn't mean people aren't allowed to enjoy something problematic (whether Japanese or western) for those and other reasons.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for pointing out your personal experience. Those kinds of situations can be included within that reference, yes, because it does happen.

Speaking for myself, this thread has provided a critical approach to the various issues derived from how female characters are often portrayed in games and thus it may contribute to a better understanding of why many women dislike such designs, but as you've noted, it doesn't mean people aren't allowed to enjoy something problematic (whether Japanese or western) for those and other reasons.

Oh, absolutely. There's been a lot of posters in here that I'd like to thank for opening my eyes a little further than they already were towards this sort of thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of FF7 Remake npcs, what does everyone think of Mireille?

latest

For all the talk about a thief called " The Angel of the Slums" I figured they were going to the sexy, scantily clad route so often used for female thieves in fiction. Good on Mireille for defying those expectations. Fun character too.

Jun 22, 2019
twitter.com

Soy Bimbofication RP Account on Twitter

“the absolute state of gamers”

A thread that may be of interest.

All the dipshits whining about how unrealistic the TLoU2 character is when she's mo-capped from an actual person, JFC.
Surprised some university hasn't done an official study yet on how relying exclusively on anime tits to formulate a mental image of women makes gamer chodes incapable of perceiving reality.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017

latest

For all the talk about a thief called " The Angel of the Slums" I figured they were going to the sexy, scantily clad route so often used for female thieves in fiction. Good on Mireille for defying those expectations. Fun character too.

I liked her, though the side quests involving her were pretty boring. Would be cool if they did something more interesting with her in Part 2. She seemed pretty resourceful. lol

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I liked her, though the side quests involving her were pretty boring. Would be cool if they did something more interesting with her in Part 2. She seemed pretty resourceful. lol
I liked her too, and I'm honestly pretty optimistic that they'll expand on a few characters like her and Roche in the coming games. They just seem like characters who were just set up in this game before becoming more important later on.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017

latest

She was a pretty good character, and Mireille is one of my favorite names, so I hope we see more of her in Part 2 somehow.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
lol ALL the sidequests were pretty boring, if anything hers stood out for having at least some long term reward and plot. And she had an actual quirky design more than "shirt and pants NPC #02".

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
lol ALL the sidequests were pretty boring, if anything hers stood out for having at least some long term reward and plot. And she had an actual quirky design more than "shirt and pants NPC #02".

I mean, that one side quest where you
hunted for tunes for the little girl to cure people's depression was unintentionally hilarious to me. 😋

But yes, I agree lol

I liked her too, and I'm honestly pretty optimistic that they'll expand on a few characters like her and Roche in the coming games. They just seem like characters who were just set up in this game before becoming more important later on.

I hope some of them get even more ridiculous tbh. lol

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like to have this take you only played the 13 series.
No. Final Fantasy IV the After Years. Crisis Core, Advent Children. Endless garbage mixing in and spewing out more garbage. Original ideas are near extinct at the scale of any AAA video game, which every FF after 6 definitely has been. And the result of that has been a continued creative downturn from pretty much any large studio that's not From Software (and even From Software is nowhere near the scale of an EA or a SquareEnix).

Yeah. I'm all about this. Eizouken rocks and while I'm not a huge fan of Dorohedoro's story, it has fun, creative character designs.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019

GTA5 and previous entries sold tens of millions of copies and are regarded as a cultural phenomenon worldwide. No need to mention what roles women were reduced to in there and you could even kill them on the spot if you were bored with them. Also in GTA5 the daughter of the mc was treated even worse than anime (the detailed CGI anime, not the 2D style).
If you bother to read comments about worries that the next GTA6 will be neutered, they are far far more than the people with anime avatars. They regard GTA6 as the last bastion from the ongoing onslaught that is going on.

Last edited:

Village

Oct 25, 2017
No. Final Fantasy IV the After Years. Crisis Core, Advent Children. Endless garbage mixing in and spewing out more garbage. Original ideas are near extinct at the scale of any AAA video game, which every FF after 6 definitely has been. And the result of that has been a continued creative downturn from pretty much any large studio that's not From Software (and even From Software is nowhere near the scale of an EA or a SquareEnix).

Yeah. I'm all about this. Eizouken rocks and while I'm not a huge fan of Dorohedoro's story, it has fun, creative character designs.
I'm not trying to be insulting, but your take seems purposefully ignorant.

Theres literally a meme about final fantasies being wild different and people regularly complaining about how final fantasy was for them as a child. The idea that the games specifically after 7 not before are all extremely simular and have simular tones, artistic direction, gameplay ideas ect. Is so wild that I cant even begin to fathom how you got here.

13, 14, and 15 are the same? Are you bugging?

Not only do think your take is wild. I would argue ff only started getting weird visually 7 foward

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Ubisoft: won't show female protagonist in reveal trailer.

Also Ubisoft: will show sexy priestess with lots of cleavage looking wide eyed at male protag in reveal trailer

Argh, Ubisoft whyyyyy????? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's literally the only grown women featured in that trailer? It's not even clear in the trailer that there is a female protag.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft: won't show female protagonist in reveal trailer.

Also Ubisoft: will show sexy priestess with lots of cleavage looking wide eyed at male protag in reveal trailer

Argh, Ubisoft whyyyyy????? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's literally the only grown women featured in that trailer? It's not even clear in the trailer that there is a female protag.
So far the only clue I've seen is the collector's edition comes with a statue of the female version of the protagonist. The statue looks like one of the warriors on the boat that I thought looked feminine, the tall one with their head shaved on the sides with the top braided into a ponytail.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One great thing about FFVIIR is that people are finally ready to accept that Aerith will hit anyone with a chair. As is right and proper.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently replaying the Mega Man X series and ended up completely forgetting about Alia's redesign. She went from this

latest

To this

The game also introduced Layer

18804.png

Keep in mind that these are robots.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not trying to be insulting, but your take seems purposefully ignorant.

Theres literally a meme about final fantasies being wild different and people regularly complaining about how final fantasy was for them as a child. The idea that the games specifically after 7 not before are all extremely simular and have simular tones, artistic direction, gameplay ideas ect. Is so wild that I cant even begin to fathom how you got here.

13, 14, and 15 are the same? Are you bugging?

Not only do think your take is wild. I would argue ff only started getting weird visually 7 foward
The surface of these games is different, but other than 9 and 14 the collective undertones are exactly the same (and honestly, 9 is on the cusp). Aside from 9 and 14, which Final Fantasies are not about waif-y, angsty male teenagers trying to "find themselves"? That's the basis for pretty much everything Squenix has been putting out since FFVII. The notable exceptions have largely been in offshoots like Final Fantasy Tactics. XIII has other characters filling that angst role, with little focus on the protagonist because they don't know how to write a strong, "less feminine" (their words, not mine) protagonist. I'm not saying the previous games are actually exempt from this, but the undertones are vastly different. The characters from VI backwards are largely not the character archetype previously described, they tend to be lighter, and more involved with characters other than the protagonist. The evolution of FFVI is different from FFV or IV (which are more traditional, Dungeons and Dragons-y fair). The formula for character and story progression is something every Final Fantasy shares to some degree, but 7 solidified the template and every game after it followed, because they're all chasing 7. So yes, I'd say that 13 and 15 are quite similar. They're just variations on the same dumb thing Square's been making since 7. The games are Dragon Quest without the polish that should be there after decades of designing the same game.

All that said, while I mentioned Final Fantasy, my intent was to describe the ouroboric qualities of Squenix as a company, with Final Fantasy and its million spinoffs, remakes, re-releases, and remasters, as an example of that in perhaps its purest form. Though honestly after looking back at Kingdom Hearts I tend to think its squirrely bullshit is more indicative of Squenix stories nowadays. The design of those games aside from the main series does sometimes expand the design, though not meaningfully since Squenix isn't really a company that cares about it, like pretty much every other AAA developer.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I've been hearing the newer Digimon games have quite a bit of sexualization as well as the standard JRPG tropes.

Has anyone here played them? I've not seen any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.