• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm reminded of Five from Drakengard 3:

Five.png
Oh god this is just awful....i'm sure those golden knickers will protect her? Blah!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't know, it's the usual painted-on platemail. Her lower legs and arms have zero room for anything other than bone there by the time you've taken the armour into account, meanwhile she's also using a sword that has a hilt as wide as her thumb is long. Arrow slit on the tunic guiding the eye to what they want you to focus on. That's something that you can't unsee with all this crap, that they dress these characters wearing scraps of platemail, lingerie and nothing at all at the same time as a specific kinda fantasy, yet still feel they need to point to exactly what the design is about.

What's crazy is this ridiculous image probably doesn't even make it into the top (or is that bottom?) 50 worst designs we've talked about in this thread. If I had to say something nice about it, the ornate detail is kinda cool and the strict gold/black colour scheme matches her eyes, I guess. Could use a spot colour.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I mean, this is background art that they drew themselves. People in XCOM land are canonically thirsty for snakes.
EVq2BgGXkAEas3G

To be fair, for all we know, that was painted (in-universe) by a thirsty snake. At least that would be my naive assumption, but yeah, it's pretty strong metacomentary that it's pretty much a coin toss :D.

Wait a moment, is this real? Did Yoko Taro write this?

I just had to google it, and yep, it's 100% fucking real:
drakengard.fandom.com

Five

Five is one of the antagonists in Drakengard 3. She is an Intoner who governs the Land of Seas and is considered to be the youngest of the six sisters. She is the most provocative among the sisters. She also has a strange attraction to Zero. She was based on a nun that Zero killed. Her disciple...

Like her sisters, she exhibits spectacular growth in a specific part of her body. In particular, her breasts grow at an ever alarming rate, which seems to fuel her personality with bravado and confidence much to the envy of her other sisters.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Drakengard 3 is a legitimately insane game in an honestly really interesting way.

I've been playing it with the 60fps patch so it's actually tolerable gameplay wise.

Zero is legit unlike almost any other female character I've seen in games.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Wait a moment, is this real? Did Yoko Taro write this?
From the page Weltall Zero linked:
Character designer Kimihiko Fujisaka has said in a Famitsu interview that Zero's design was the first to be approved by Taro Yoko. He wanted more female characters to interact with her and requested for Fujisaka to "think Puella Magi Madoka Magica" when designing her sisters. Five's main design themes are "nude" and "knit"

May 13, 2019
Drakengard 3 is a legitimately insane game in an honestly really interesting way.

I've been playing it with the 60fps patch so it's actually tolerable gameplay wise.

Zero is legit unlike almost any other female character I've seen in games.
I said it once and I'll say it again: Zero is truly one of a kind, isn't she? I don't think we will ever see another game that stars an unrepentant female rapist whose objective is to kill her sisters and take their men to be her sexual playthings.

Also:
Drakengard-3_5.png

zero.png

Last edited:

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Zero is the rare female protagonist who has her own sexual agency. Granted the men she goes after becomes her sex slaves, but her sexuality is fully on display.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot of issues with that series overall. But people tend to look that stuff over because of the insanity of it all.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
So, on the plus side, the new XCOM game is pretty good, though I now know that people really really want to have sex with snake women and I'm not sure where else I can put this information.

EDIT: Also it is nice to have a game with alien women that don't suddenly become waifu bait when compared to the male counterparts like in so many media.
I'm wondering if it was a response to that comic made a while back.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what all the nerds on the internet were screaming about. Tifa has massive breasts in the Remake. This is even more apparent when she wears one of her dresses. If anything, Square has done even more to boost her sex appeal. They obviously spent a lot of time working on her figure which is tone yet still slim. Characters comment on her body more than in the original. Her victory animation when she pushes out her chest is still in the game. Frankly, if your'e a fan of Tifa's original design, then Square has done practically everything to cater to you in the remake. All the talk of censorship was nonsense. I have to think that some people's perception of Tifa are more based on internet fan art than was she actually looked like in the original FF7 and that is now distorting what they think she should look like in the remake.

Oct 25, 2017
Since TLOU2 spoilers are out in the wild, and this thread has discussed the potential of problematic elements in the game itself (outside of the problematic marketing angle), I'd like to request that the discussion, if any, be behind spoiler tags.

I enjoy following this thread but I'm also trying to stay fairly spoiler free given that the game is still a little while off.

Pollen

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I don't know what all the nerds on the internet were screaming about. Tifa has massive breasts in the Remake. This is even more apparent when she wears one of her dresses. If anything, Square has done even more to boost her sex appeal. They obviously spent a lot of time working on her figure which is tone yet still slim. Characters comment on her body more than in the original. Her victory animation when she pushes out her chest is still in the game. Frankly, if your'e a fan of Tifa's original design, then Square has done practically everything to cater to you in the remake. All the talk of censorship was nonsense. I have to think that some people's perception of Tifa are more based on internet fan art than was she actually looked like in the original FF7 and that is now distorting what they think she should look like in the remake.
She's always looked like that in the original. I think her outfit in both looks dumb, not chic at all.

The suspenders don't work and the skirt looks like something my friends would wear when they audition for a burlesque show. I think her Advent Children design is the best. It's sexy, chic, and functional. Some character designers need to understand that you can make a character sexy without resorting to stripper-wear for every character. (Not shaming sex workers or those that choose to participate in that line of work, this is just different because those are real people consenting to that).

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Since TLOU2 spoilers are out in the wild, and this thread has discussed the potential of problematic elements in the game itself (outside of the problematic marketing angle), I'd like to request that the discussion, if any, be behind spoiler tags.

I enjoy following this thread but I'm also trying to stay fairly spoiler free given that the game is still a little while off.
Fuck, time for me to hide in my bunker indefinitely.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

We already have rules regarding spoilers for leaked/unreleased material, so posting spoilers for TLoU2 here would be forbidden regardless. People can stick to the other thread for that, and once the game comes out, it can be discussed normally (using spoiler tags as appropriate, of course) here and in other topics.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I have thoughts about the spoilers and look forward to when this game hypothetically releases someday so I can discuss those thoughts in a better thread than the main spoiler one.

Anyhow in other news: I played through all of persona 5 royal which I never would have done if not for lockdown. Original game was already too long. The new character is super bland and I spent the whole game wondering why we had to get this instead of Persona 3 Portable female protagonist with new social links and all that stuff.

Pollen

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Can someone PM me the spoilers? I don't want to read through the spoiler thread and try to gauge what parts you all are referring to.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm playing the Trials of Mana remake at the moment. I haven't played the original but apparently the plot is the same. I was rolling my eyes at the designs where every young female character, including a whole faction of them, is pretty much just wearing a party dress and scraps of armour, but apparently the redesigns interpret the original designs pretty closely. Comparisons of 1995 art vs 2020 here, with pixel art at the bottom:

mana.fandom.com

Angela

"I'm Angela, princess of Altena." —3D selection Angela (アンジェラ, Anjera) is one of the six main characters of Trials of Mana. She is 19 years old, 5 ft. 5 in. tall (165 cm), and weighs 106 lbs (48 kg). Angela is a young woman with long lilac hair and green eyes, described as the image of her...
mana.fandom.com

Riesz

"I am Riesz. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." —3D selection Riesz (リース, Rīsu) (Lise in the fan translation) is one of the six main characters of Trials of Mana. She is 16 years old, 5 ft. 6 in. tall (167 cm), and weighs 119 lbs (54 kg). Riesz is a young woman with long blonde hair...

Looks like this is one of those cases where the sexualisation already existed but the translation to 16-bit pixel art with the need for large heads to show expression at the time minimised it, compared to the modern engine where it's a much closer match to the art, which is then front-and-centre the entire time.

wiki:
The characters were redesigned by artist Haccan, who had acted as character designer for the Secret of Mana remake.[3]Haccan adapted the original designs by Ishii and Nobuteru Yūki, reworking the designs for modern graphics with input from Ishii.[16] The character models were created with the aim of directly translating Haccan's artwork into the game. While the original game used pixel art and allowed for exaggerated expressions using large heads on smaller bodies, the team were uncomfortable replicating it in full 3D and so expressions and interactions had to be completely redone.[15] The character classes were redesigned using the original pixel art as a base, with the colours adjusted to better fit the personalities of the different protagonists.[20]

Last edited:

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I'm playing the Trials of Mana remake at the moment. I haven't played the original but apparently the plot is the same. I was rolling my eyes at the designs where every young female character, including a whole faction of them, is pretty much just wearing a party dress and scraps of armour, but apparently the redesigns interpret the original designs pretty closely. Comparisons of 1995 art vs 2020 here, with pixel art at the bottom:

mana.fandom.com

Angela

"I'm Angela, princess of Altena." —3D selection Angela (アンジェラ, Anjera) is one of the six main characters of Trials of Mana. She is 19 years old, 5 ft. 5 in. tall (165 cm), and weighs 106 lbs (48 kg). Angela is a young woman with long lilac hair and green eyes, described as the image of her...
mana.fandom.com

Riesz

"I am Riesz. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." —3D selection Riesz (リース, Rīsu) (Lise in the fan translation) is one of the six main characters of Trials of Mana. She is 16 years old, 5 ft. 6 in. tall (167 cm), and weighs 119 lbs (54 kg). Riesz is a young woman with long blonde hair...

Looks like this is one of those cases where the sexualisation already existed but the translation to 16-bit pixel art with the need for large heads to show expression at the time minimised it, compared to the modern engine where it's a much closer match to the art, which is then front-and-centre the entire time.

wiki:
Yup, it's a 90s JRPG from the top to the bottom. The intent was to mirror the original but updated it with modern visuals and QoL. They even went the mile to properly replicate the classes on the original designs that couldnt be expressed due to hardware limitations. Prior, the profile spritework would just be recolors. There's something to be said for how faithful they made it.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I've never played Draknengard 3, but I don't think I can forget it. It's like a constant "Oh yeah, there is a game where you murder your family and make their husbands your sex-slaves". Completely out of left field.

Someone posted the scene where she finds Cloud disguised as a woman. You literally see her boobs push together as she moves her arms forward. She's also wearing a boob-window dress at the time. I too am baffled people think this game was censored.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I never saw Zero's sister's boyfriends as unwilling partners. They're all pretty enthusiastic participants whose general allegiance to the intoners isn't anything akin to romantic devotion. They're DTF and they all pretty much join up willingly sans the one that is a sub, but even then it's played as "the fetish" and not sexual violence. some join before the sister is even encountered. some kill the sister themselves and join. it's not "kill sister, enslave boyfriend" in the slightest.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
Alright, your take on this

When I first saw it I assumed she was practically nude and had a couple of belts covering her crotch and surrounding her breasts. At first I was confused why she didn't have nipples until I realized it was a full body outfit

This is a dangerous assumption to anyone who plays this game for the first time

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

When I first saw it I assumed she was practically nude and had a couple of belts covering her crotch and surrounding her breasts. At first I was confused why she didn't have nipples until I realized it was a full body outfit

Huh. I can see why you'd think that, but I never personally have. I much prefer her diving outfit to her normal attire as a party member...

May 13, 2019
I never saw Zero's sister's boyfriends as unwilling partners. They're all pretty enthusiastic participants whose general allegiance to the intoners isn't anything akin to romantic devotion. They're DTF and they all pretty much join up willingly sans the one that is a sub, but even then it's played as "the fetish" and not sexual violence. some join before the sister is even encountered. some kill the sister themselves and join. it's not "kill sister, enslave boyfriend" in the slightest.
The disciples are actually quite a varied bunch.

Dito hated Five with everything fiber of his self. To say he was quite happy at Zero killing her would be an understatement.
Decadus is a huge masochist that interprets everything as a putdown that makes him go "Ummff~".
Octa is a walking sex joke whose sexual drive knows no bounds and actually ditched Three because he couldn't contain himself.
Cent... seems to be genuinely happy serving Two. And yet he wasn't much bothered after Zero killed her.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

While it is not the worst outfit ever, I do think it falls into a category of female character outfits where there are belts/ties/metal in areas to accentuate the bust area that would not necessarily be on similar male character outfits. Though the Al Bhed outfits in general look very...uncomfortable.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm reminded of Five from Drakengard 3:

Five.png

Bah... I get sad how often I really enjoy the "fashion aspect" in a lot of character designs, but how often elements of said designs are literally "stripped down" from continuing the full ensemble. xD
This outfit is really badass, but adheres to some wonky ass physics to keep those tits in there. And all that armor for exposed chest and legs??

It's chic and dumb lol

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

Oh my god, yeah, I really hated this outfit. I kept trying to tell myself that, hey, it's at least fully covering her! But I just couldn't unsee the weird thong-belt look and convenient boob framing.
Dona's and Yunalesca's were by far the worst in that game, though. 😬

Huh. I can see why you'd think that, but I never personally have. I much prefer her diving outfit to her normal attire as a party member...
Really? :O I always felt her party outfit in X was pretty normal and actually suited her character. Like it's just a sleeveless top and shorts -- not even butt cheek hanging out or any weird bits framing! Albeit I guess it does show some of her belly... But still, always thought it was pretty tame -- even something I'd feel comfortable wearing myself on a hot day.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bah... I get sad how often I really enjoy the "fashion aspect" in a lot of character designs, but how often elements of said designs are literally "stripped down" from continuing the full ensemble. xD
This outfit is really badass, but adheres to some wonky ass physics to keep those tits in there. And all that armor for exposed chest and legs??

It's chic and dumb lol
I'd love the design if the armor continued on her actual body where the important appendages are. And hell if they wanted to keep it super feminine maybe leave the greaves as are and just have the top be like a short dress or something but still armor.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
Oh my god, yeah, I really hated this outfit. I kept trying to tell myself that, hey, it's at least fully covering her! But I just couldn't unsee the weird thong-belt look and convenient boob framing.
Dona's and Yunalesca's were by far the worst in that game, though. 😬
Holy shit

Imagine wearing a dress that covers the sides but not the front and back, while everyone looks at your exposed ass. Also imagine being a goddess-like figure but wearing something you'd wear to like a strip club. You may as well go nude.

Actually most goddesses in JRPGs have those designs I think, idk why

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit

Imagine wearing a dress that covers the sides but not the front and back, while everyone looks at your exposed ass. Also imagine being a goddess-like figure but wearing something you'd wear to like a strip club. You may as well go nude.

Actually most goddesses in JRPGs have those designs I think, idk why
Right?? Dona's "dress" was completely, utterly pointless. I just.. what even, who designed that??? Jeez.

And hell, I hate Yunalesca's outfit on its own, but y'know what really bothered me most about her? How she was dressed in essentially a metal bikini while her husband was in full body armor. Man, those types of double standards drive me up the god damn wall. And all it does is make the guy seem super important and respectable and strong, while this goddess -- whose role is supposed to be the most important and compelling -- comes across like some kind of sex slave. It makes it completely impossible to take her seriously as a character, and it's a huge damn shame cuz her character is interesting and her boss fight was super cool.

God, just, those types of designs are such a disservice to their characters, I really wish they'd stop being such a common thing. o<-<

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness

(surprised those Tidus reactions didn't become some kind of meme...)

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not TLOU spoilers but man the "why does Ellie look like a man" responses to her design are...annoying to say the least. Apparently women aren't real unless they have breasts twice the size of their head.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Not TLOU spoilers but man the "why does Ellie look like a man" responses to her design are...annoying to say the least. Apparently women aren't real unless they have breasts twice the size of their head.

If the character wasn't made with intent to stimulate their ego or their dick, people cry.

People still whining about Aloy in recent threads about the next Horizon. I really hope she keeps her deliberately dry persona....

Status
Not open for further replies.