• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It quite astonishing that they really want every aspect of a game to cater to their male gaze interest. I bet when they heard that RE3 was getting remade they hope for sexualized scenes like in the pic to happen since the org was very strict camera angles, so even with the weird outfit Jill had on it wouldn't have her in male gaze scenes.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It quite astonishing that they really want every aspect of a game to cater to their male gaze interest. I bet when they heard that RE3 was getting remade they hope for sexualized scenes like in the pic to happen since the org was very strict camera angles, so even with the weird outfit Jill had on it wouldn't have her in male gaze scenes.

"Hey, if you want your multi-million-dollar SJW horror game where all the women are ugly superheroes and men are betas, nobody keeps you from doing that, it's the beauty of the free market. But don't taint the purity of Resident Evil pls."

Ew, that felt dirty to impersonate. I swear all these dudes would reveal themselves as AnCaps/right-wing libertarians if you prodded them long enough.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You make it sound like they're hiding it

I'm sure some of them haven't even connected the dots that one of the reasons they can't bear to see any change in their franchise is that they genuinely (and naively) believe that people could just go ahead and create successful games like it's easy thanks to the glory of the free market. That's why I'm saying "if you prodded them long enough". Many people's ideologies stay quasi-unconscious because they don't give it much thought in the first place. In fact, that could have described me not so long ago.

But you're right that a lot of them aren't hiding it. They like their "no steppy snake" flags.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
What do the women of the thread think about the skorts? I know there were quite a few that weren't a fan of the skirt / tube top in the first place. Do the skorts make the look or is this just a weird compromise for an already weird outfit?

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a guy, I always thought the tube top was the most egregious and impractical part of her outfit.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

The dastardly Ethics department is at it again. 😏

That reply lol

Screen_Shot_2019-01-17_at_4.22.43_PM.jpg

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
God I don't think I'm ready for the next month of people whining about Jill and Tifa's redesign. Anything less then full male gaze and fanservice makes a character ugly to these people, or is a "betrayal" of the character. Meanwhile Jill's actual character is one of the most consistently praised parts of the remake. A detail I love, because Claire's writing was great in RE2R as well. So I'm just going to imagine an awesome future where we get a Jill and Claire led RE sequel and just try to tune out all the gross "Censorship" noise that these people are going to be yelling about non stop for the next month.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
The twitter user who wrote that is a woman though

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Jill is still a conventionally attractive woman and, as noted, she's also pretty well written in the remake, especially by Resident Evil standards.

It's absurd to make an issue out of a harmless costume change that apparently qualifies as "censorship" in some minds.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Jill is still a conventionally attractive woman and, as noted, she's also pretty well written in the remake, especially by Resident Evil standards.

It's absurd to make an issue out of a harmless costume change that apparently qualifies as "censorship" in some minds.

Apparently she's mainly saying this small change will turn into erasure of character originality.
Basically a slippery slope argument.

EUroG1KUUAAye2-

Clearly though folks, we're rapidly heading towards a skort dystopia future. Beware the skort. /s
What do the women of the thread think about the skorts? I know there were quite a few that weren't a fan of the skirt / tube top in the first place. Do the skorts make the look or is this just a weird compromise for an already weird outfit?

I guess since this is not Jill's actual default the skort is a decent compromise, especially since the camera is no longer locked and the devs are using more cinematic angles.

Oct 27, 2017
Can I just say how awesome Jill's portrayal in REmake 3 is? She is hands down one of the most badass characters in the series, up there with Hunk and Joe Baker. She was already cool in 3 but the remake takes her personality and injects it with steroids. Just like Claire last year, they nailed her character.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Did these same people complain about how Claire's "original outfit" in RE2 remake was changed compared to the PS1 game? In the remake version Capcom removed the black undershirt which had the effect of revealing more cleavage.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Did these same people complain about how Claire's "original outfit" in RE2 remake was changed compared to the PS1 game? In the remake version Capcom removed the black undershirt which had the effect of revealing more cleavage.
Small changes are still changes!!! It's NOT EVEN about the change it—wait, MORE cleavage? *walks away whistling*

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Like, the best thing by far about RE3 is that Jill Valentine is cool as fuck. You'd think that would be the dominant conversation about her and how a Jill + Leon team up needs to happen yesterday(okay, maybe that last bit is just me).

But no, just cry out in petulant rage "I CAN'T SEE HER CROTCH!!! LAWSUIT!!!"

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Like, the best thing by far about RE3 is that Jill Valentine is cool as fuck. You'd think that would be the dominant conversation about her and how a Jill + Leon team up needs to happen yesterday(okay, maybe that last bit is just me).

But no, just cry out in petulant rage "I CAN'T SEE HER CROTCH!!! LAWSUIT!!!"

One day we'll finally get a Jill and Leon team up.

One day...

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
So I finished Nioh 2 last night.

Overall it's about the same as Nioh 1 when it comes to female representation. There's one questionable design, the Kasha boss (a feline yokai monster with giant tits... yeah xD it's somehow not as bad as it sounds?), but she's not really that much worse than Hino-Enma or Jorogumo from the first one, and the presentation isn't so bad, no camera zooming in on her cleavage or anything that I recall.

And like the first one, the human characters are all pretty tasteful, with some genuinely cool characters. Mumyo is my favourite, she's a totally badass yokai hunter, and a cool character in her own right:
EF1CRdUXUAEG1sj.jpg

They also had a young woman missing an eye as blacksmith for some reason (it's a different one, as the game is a prequel), probably just as a fun throwback? She looks cool anyway:
dialogue-scaled.jpg

But yeah, while they are younger ladies, the blacksmiths have avoided falling in the stupid creepy/loli nonsense, and are perfectly fine. There's also a few ladies of the court, like Princess Noh (Nobunaga's wife, she is basically a yokai boss in Nioh 1) and Lady Oichi, and Lady Maria from the first game's DLCs makes a brief appearance, and none of them are trashy or anything. So that's great. Good job Team Ninja!

Except... OK there's something super weird that's been bothering me. In Nioh 2, you play as a half-human, half-yokai character (created), and the game is a prequel to Nioh 1 as I said, and it spans multiple decades. Your character, being half-yokai and all, does not age. OK. The named characters the protagonist meets do age, such as Nobunaga, Tokichiro, Hattori Hanzo, etc.

...But not the women. Mumyo's appearance is the same when you meet her early-game, and in late-game, literally decades later. Some have tried explaining this by saying Mumyo's medallion (which is tied to the protagonist's dagger, there's lore stuff about this I won't get into here) is what grants her this immortality, except it doesn't explain why Lady Oichi doesn't age either, and in late-game Mumyo no longer has this artefact and yet still doesn't age. The blacksmith not aging, I could just see as a lack of attention to detail (she's basically a "menu" character, not a story one), but it feels kind of obvious to me that they just didn't want to age the women. And... that kind of sucks.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
One day we'll finally get a Jill and Leon team up.

One day...

Honestly I think a Jill + Claire team-up would be more meaningful for the franchise. We've already had a Leon + Chris team-up and Claire hasn't appeared in a numbered game since 2 (though Code Veronica was supposed to be 3, and is more meaningful to the plot than 3).

For the first several games there were two sort of "teams" of RE characters -- the ones that appeared in odd-numbered games (the STARS members, Wesker, etc.), and the ones that appeared in even-numbered games (Leon, Claire, Ada, Sherry, etc.). 6 broke this with the Chris + Leon team-up and Capcom made a big deal out of it at the time. It'd make sense to follow that up with Claire + Jill, even if only in another CG movie or something.

What's more interesting is that the characters so far have all aged in real-time. Since they're using real actors, would they simply age up the new models for Claire and Jill by 20 years?

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think a Jill + Claire team-up would be more meaningful for the franchise. We've already had a Leon + Chris team-up and Claire hasn't appeared in a numbered game since 2 (though Code Veronica was supposed to be 3, and is more meaningful to the plot than 3).

For the first several games there were two sort of "teams" of RE characters -- the ones that appeared in odd-numbered games (the STARS members, Wesker, etc.), and the ones that appeared in even-numbered games (Leon, Claire, Ada, Sherry, etc.). 6 broke this with the Chris + Leon team-up and Capcom made a big deal out of it at the time. It'd make sense to follow that up with Claire + Jill, even if only in another CG movie or something.

What's more interesting is that the characters so far have all aged in real-time. Since they're using real actors, would they simply age up the new models for Claire and Jill by 20 years?

I do understand where you're coming from but Leon and Chris suck together imo. And Leon and Jill are my faves and I'm a shallow bitch so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd love a Redfield sibling team up though.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017

The dream scenario would be a RE game where you could pick the primary and secondary characters, thus allowing every fan combo.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Code: Veronica was never supposed to be 3 (this is a misconception that persists no matter how many times it's clarified), and it's arguably far less meaningful to the plot than 3 seeing as the destruction of Raccoon City and the resulting litigation pertaining to the outbreak were what brought down Umbrella in the first place, rather than some epic showdown with the company suggested in games preceding RE4 that ultimately never happened. Ultimately the only things consequential about C:V relative to the overall plot of the series were establishing revived Matrix Wesker and Chris getting smacked around by him motivating him to bulk up, along with the C-Virus in RE6 being partially derived from the T-Veronica Virus.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks to CoViD lockdown I'm playing Cold Steel 3 (10h into the game, new to the series, don't hit me).

I'll just say two, maybe three things:

1 / OMG the "jokes". They're not even funny goddamnit. Why are they here?
2 / I guess in this world women's fabric is pretty expensive. More expensive than men's fabric at least.
3 / Loosely related: I genuinely don't care if there are kid characters (*), but man the creepiness of some of the designs 🤦‍♀️

(*) I'm one of those weirdos thinking kid characters are at least a nice change of pace from bald gruffly space marines 🤷‍♀️

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Thanks to CoViD lockdown I'm playing Cold Steel 3 (10h into the game, new to the series, don't hit me).

I'll just say two, maybe three things:

1 / OMG the "jokes". They're not even funny goddamnit. Why are they here?
2 / I guess in this world women's fabric is pretty expensive. More expensive than men's fabric at least.
3 / Loosely related: I genuinely don't care if there are kid characters (*), but man the creepiness of some of the designs 🤦‍♀️

(*) I'm one of those weirdos thinking kid characters are at least a nice change of pace from bald gruffly space marines 🤷‍♀️
By now unfunny jokes have become a convention in otaku works. They are as much a necessary part of the story as the beach/onsen episode. You can think of it as the standard substitute for good characterization.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
By now unfunny jokes have become a convention in otaku works. They are as much a necessary part of the story as the beach/onsen episode. You can think of it as the standard substitute for good characterization.
It's just sad really. So far characters are decent (if very cliched), the battle system is great, and the world seems interesting. There there are just those baffling design choices 🤷‍♀️

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Ok so things were getting interesting and then I stumble on a cutscene where a red haired female fighter sexually assaults a Valkyrie.

WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST SEE

Come on this can't be real. I guess the point is to show that the character is a BAD GUY, but come on 🤦‍♀️

Edit: It even had weird noises and all 😔

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
I lurk this thread daily, its nice to read different perspectives and also helps me with character design.

Recently I've been playing Yakuza 6. It's been years since I've played an entry but for the most part I didn't have a huge issue with things like the Hostess clubs etc (barring the controversy that was in 3 with the trans character). It could be how I went about the dialog trees but I faintly remember Kiryu being a more neutral/respectful/paternal figure to the girls.

Women are definitely sexualized in this series, but what really caught me off guard was the internet chat cafes. You're in a chat room with several other people trying to get this woman to strip via live feed. And the way its presented it feels like there is a punchline coming but it never does. Maybe continuing the questline offers that but I haven't cringed that hard with a game, from the neckbeards in the chatroom to Kiryu typing "SOMETHING IS GROWING". It was just surreal.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

I've wanted a Jill + Claire game for years. That and an Ada + anyone but Leon game. Claire is easily one of my favorite RE characters and I have always wanted to see her interact with more of the cast. Revelations 2 was okay, but it looks like that game is never going to be followed up on. It would be great if this trend of remakes encourages Capcom to start using more of the cast as leads again outside of just Leon and Chris.

RE really does have a pretty great female cast. Pretty much all of them could carry their own game and would be awesome. So hell, let's go full Birds of Prey and make an RE game starring Jill, Claire, Ada, Sheva, and Sherry. I have no idea how it would work, but it could be amazing.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Can I just say how awesome Jill's portrayal in REmake 3 is? She is hands down one of the most badass characters in the series, up there with Hunk and Joe Baker. She was already cool in 3 but the remake takes her personality and injects it with steroids. Just like Claire last year, they nailed her character.

She's amazing, I didn't expect her to be so great. But she's one of my most favorite game characters now (alongside Aloy!)

Also, I like her new, redesigned costume more than the "classic" one, too.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
She's amazing, I didn't expect her to be so great. But she's one of my most favorite game characters now (alongside Aloy!)

The characterization of Jill and Claire in these remakes has been such a welcome surprise. They've done a great job with both of them, and RE3's portrayal of Jill did a lot to make me care about a character I was almost always neutral towards.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
So I finished Nioh 2 last night.

Overall it's about the same as Nioh 1 when it comes to female representation. There's one questionable design, the Kasha boss (a feline yokai monster with giant tits... yeah xD it's somehow not as bad as it sounds?), but she's not really that much worse than Hino-Enma or Jorogumo from the first one, and the presentation isn't so bad, no camera zooming in on her cleavage or anything that I recall.

And like the first one, the human characters are all pretty tasteful, with some genuinely cool characters. Mumyo is my favourite, she's a totally badass yokai hunter, and a cool character in her own right:
EF1CRdUXUAEG1sj.jpg

They also had a young woman missing an eye as blacksmith for some reason (it's a different one, as the game is a prequel), probably just as a fun throwback? She looks cool anyway:
dialogue-scaled.jpg

But yeah, while they are younger ladies, the blacksmiths have avoided falling in the stupid creepy/loli nonsense, and are perfectly fine. There's also a few ladies of the court, like Princess Noh (Nobunaga's wife, she is basically a yokai boss in Nioh 1) and Lady Oichi, and Lady Maria from the first game's DLCs makes a brief appearance, and none of them are trashy or anything. So that's great. Good job Team Ninja!

Except... OK there's something super weird that's been bothering me. In Nioh 2, you play as a half-human, half-yokai character (created), and the game is a prequel to Nioh 1 as I said, and it spans multiple decades. Your character, being half-yokai and all, does not age. OK. The named characters the protagonist meets do age, such as Nobunaga, Tokichiro, Hattori Hanzo, etc.

...But not the women. Mumyo's appearance is the same when you meet her early-game, and in late-game, literally decades later. Some have tried explaining this by saying Mumyo's medallion (which is tied to the protagonist's dagger, there's lore stuff about this I won't get into here) is what grants her this immortality, except it doesn't explain why Lady Oichi doesn't age either, and in late-game Mumyo no longer has this artefact and yet still doesn't age. The blacksmith not aging, I could just see as a lack of attention to detail (she's basically a "menu" character, not a story one), but it feels kind of obvious to me that they just didn't want to age the women. And... that kind of sucks.

I'm really upset they didn't release this on PC yet.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so things were getting interesting and then I stumble on a cutscene where a red haired female fighter sexually assaults a Valkyrie.

Come on this can't be real. I guess the point is to show that the character is a BAD GUY, but come on 🤦‍♀️

Yeah, that sucked. She did that to a different character in a previous game in the series, too (second game in the Crossbell arc, Ao no Kiseki/Trails to Azure).

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

I think it comes down to they just didn't want to, which is disappointing. You don't normally get too much for older women in games and they had the perfect opportunity here for that.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The model viewer in Resident Evil 3 is extremely comical. Jill has breast physics in the remake, which you won't notice during normal gameplay at all. Pretty much every important character and Nemesis has some degree of physics applied to hair, some fabric and/or tactical equipment to add some dynamicness to motion. When you turn models in the viewer the physics are cranked up massively leading to very exaggerated effects. It's not a knock on the game itself, but it would appear someone on the team had some fun with model viewer settings or it's a glitch. Carlos has breast jiggle in the form of pouches. XD

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
The model viewer in Resident Evil 3 is extremely comical. Jill has breast physics in the remake, which you won't notice during normal gameplay at all. Pretty much every important character and Nemesis has some degree of physics applied to hair, some fabric and/or tactical equipment to add some dynamicness to motion. When you turn models in the viewer the physics are cranked up massively leading to very exaggerated effects. It's not a knock on the game itself, but it would appear someone on the team had some fun with model viewer settings or it's a glitch. Carlos has breast jiggle in the form of pouches. XD

I was watching an RE3 speed run earlier today and noticed this. It was brief so I thought I imagined it, but now I think it was the physics glitching.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020

That's the laziest fucking shit I swear. Like it works, it's a good way of making most people despise that character... but come on...

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
That's the laziest fucking shit I swear. Like it works, it's a good way of making most people despise that character... but come on...
Oh it's worse than that. In the game, it's basically played for laughs. Yes she's a villain/antagonist to the heroes (but technically so is Duvalie, the victim), but this scene isn't meant to show her as an evil creep, but as a funny one.

...Yeah

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Oh it's worse than that. In the game, it's basically played for laughs. Yes she's a villain/antagonist to the heroes (but technically so is Duvalie, the victim), but this scene isn't meant to show her as an evil creep, but as a funny one.

...Yeah
Yeah that's the worst. The scene technically shows her as a creep, but is played as a joke. That's just ... err ... does not compute.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. She's really great. I want a RE 3.5 with her and Carlos.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah her new design is great. People can compare her to new Lara Croft but that is doing her a diservice.

It is weird. Most japanese games really suck at writing really good strong women (aside from rare examples like From Soft). Meanwhile Capcom created two characters (like Claire and Jill) that are way cooler than most, after sexualizing their characters so much last gen.

Jill in REmake 3 had tons of emotions. It all feels believable.
Just finished it. She's really great. I want a RE 3.5 with her and Carlos.
Agreed.

It is a shame we might never see how she is doing after RE5 (looking back, how she was treated is disgusting in 5). And Carlos too.

Hopefully we see them both as their characters in the remake is awesome and we need to see more of them.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
It is weird. Most japanese games really suck at writing really good strong women (aside from rare examples like From Soft). Meanwhile Capcom created two characters (like Claire and Jill) that are way cooler than most, after sexualizing their characters so much last gen.
It really just seems to be the Resident Evil team. The rest of Capcom still did stuff like the horrible Street Fighter 5 costumes, everything involving Lady and Trish in DMC5, the Monster Hunter World armor designs (complete with a character explicitly saying he needs to make the female armors sexy).

Oct 27, 2017
It really just seems to be the Resident Evil team. The rest of Capcom still did stuff like the horrible Street Fighter 5 costumes, everything involving Lady and Trish in DMC5, the Monster Hunter World armor designs (complete with a character explicitly saying he needs to make the female armors sexy).
True, I was more so thinking of the RE team.

Like if you look back on RE games last gen, there were plenty of sexualization every game. Meanwhile, RE games this gen have been really good at making good women characters.

I wish the rest of the company would do this.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020

...Yeah
Could you hear my sigh wherever you are? That just removes any possible defense for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.