• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll post about Djeeta later today but I get the idea of arm armor as good enough protection so you have something to block with and have better movement of most of your arms.
However, you can still have a chest piece even if it a small one and still have flexibility at the shoulders. Also pants please (And not just short shorts!)

Fully_Voiced_Djeeta.png

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
2 and a half years of this discussion and I'm still not sure whether 'it's empowering to be a titninja' or 'vaginabones' is the most ludicrous response we've seen so far.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I'll post about Djeeta later today but I get the idea of arm armor as good enough protection so you have something to block with and have better movement of most of your arms.
However, you can still have a chest piece even if it a small one and still have flexibility at the shoulders. Also pants please (And not just short shorts!)

Fully_Voiced_Djeeta.png
One thing that I've noticed about a lot of recent otaku artwork is that female characters tend to point their toes directly at the audience. It's almost as if it's anathema to show the sides of the feet any more. It wouldn't be a big deal if this happened once every few pieces, but it seems nearly universal now so I can't unsee it. Is this some sort of fetish I've never heard about before?

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if discussing "practical" Armor really makes sense in the context of videogames since what you need it for is pretty impractical in the first place.

The various class and income implication of armor aside, it tended to also be heavily specialized.

Like, wearing full plate is something you almost exclusively did on horseback. Formation, intended movement speed and weapon systems also heavily influenced armor choice as well as what weapon type you are facing. There were plenty of breastplates that only cover the front, since in formation, you didn't need to protect your back as much.

Spears are super underrepresented in games - and a lot of older armor is primarily designed agains spears (and missiles) since those were the most common weapons you used to face. How useful would full plate be against a dragon or other huge monsters? It wouldn't be. Since that is not what plate armor actually protects against.

even games that at least try to be a bit period accurate, like a witcher, have mostly "rule of cool" designs rather than anything pracitcal.

My point is mostly that the problem with needless sexualisation of armor in games is that it's needlessly sexualised. The armor the dudes wear is often just as silly - just in different ways, especially when it fully covers the body.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I just found out that Ciri doesn't button her shirt in The Witcher 3 to distract people from the scar on her face. Don't stare at my scar, stare at my boobs!

To be fair, "it's actually very empowering to be a titninja" was sarcastic and from an hbomberguy video.

I think someone used a similar argument to defend Xenoblade Chronicles 2, saying the designs were actually empowering.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
lol.

Not trashy enough tbh, the lady's underwear looks comfortable and realistic. Needs random metal pieces to pierce her skin and a metal thong that's almost falling off so you can see her vagina bone crotch a bit more! not to mention her boobs have to be larger than her head, what is this, a B-cup? pfft xD

....What on earth >_<

lmao imagine being the kind of idiot who is "on the run" and grabs "spare armour" which consists of protecting only the arms, with incredibly cumbersome, intricate and bulky plates, and exposing literally everything else... this is literally parody. Also is that cameltoe...
The weird arm things are what she has left after they stripped her down. That wasn't what she grabbed. The other image metalsnake posted is the spare armor.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Coming soon fighter Zooey.

She a being that makes sure there balance to the world while taking a time off to hang with her new friends.
She interesting in that she always curious about the world she protects which helps her from falling into misunderstandings.
Her profile says she's ageless.
I quite like the first design, but then it gets worse as it goes.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
....What on earth >_<

lmao imagine being the kind of idiot who is "on the run" and grabs "spare armour" which consists of protecting only the arms, with incredibly cumbersome, intricate and bulky plates, and exposing literally everything else... this is literally parody. Also is that cameltoe...

Can't forget the boob sock!! Binding is for unsexy weirdos!!

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if discussing "practical" Armor really makes sense in the context of videogames since what you need it for is pretty impractical in the first place.

The various class and income implication of armor aside, it tended to also be heavily specialized.

Like, wearing full plate is something you almost exclusively did on horseback. Formation, intended movement speed and weapon systems also heavily influenced armor choice as well as what weapon type you are facing. There were plenty of breastplates that only cover the front, since in formation, you didn't need to protect your back as much.

Spears are super underrepresented in games - and a lot of older armor is primarily designed agains spears (and missiles) since those were the most common weapons you used to face. How useful would full plate be against a dragon or other huge monsters? It wouldn't be. Since that is not what plate armor actually protects against.

even games that at least try to be a bit period accurate, like a witcher, have mostly "rule of cool" designs rather than anything pracitcal.

My point is mostly that the problem with needless sexualisation of armor in games is that it's needlessly sexualised. The armor the dudes wear is often just as silly - just in different ways, especially when it fully covers the body.
I agree you don't need practical armor. You can have cool looking armor such as the ones in A Song of Ice and Fire.

main-qimg-dc0b1fcb9c42fb8a524d4e02003513e2.webp

The problem is the men get to look cool while women have to look sexy.

Which brings up an interesting question. Do any of these developers even ask women what kind of armor they'd like to see on women characters?

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, "it's actually very empowering to be a titninja" was sarcastic and from an hbomberguy video.
Yeah, when I saw it listed hbomberguy was the first one I thought of and the context was unbelievable arguments people used in defense of skimpy outfits. Thought that meant someone out there said it in earnest and I mean, I've seen similar sentiments but not that specific arrangement of words.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, when I saw it listed hbomberguy was the first one I thought of and the context was unbelievable arguments people used in defense of skimpy outfits. Thought that meant someone out there said it in earnest and I mean, I've seen similar sentiments but not that specific arrangement of words.
For sure, my mistake.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
And then there is Saskia from Witcher 2, which combines cool and sexy.. and to a lesser extend some practicality
latest

Yeah, her cleavege isn't helping her in any way in a battle, but on the other hand can help her to win some "hearts" between the simple folk in (Upper) Aedirn and in the end, she is in fact a literal
dragon, so her armor and whole human form is just a window dressing

And in Thronebreaker, there is Meve.. such a great character
48829b6357cf402890eff8d9a16e9820.jpg

latest

esserius

Oct 26, 2017

Most armor, or at least the historically "remembered" armors, tended to be more vanity than practicality (a big part of armor was about status and wealth). Even though plate armor was extremely effective at protecting against blows, it greatly limited movement and was generally only worn by aristocracy (who only rarely actively participated in battles). The few knights who actually did wear it into combat were greatly protected but also weren't nearly as effective as all the archers and pikemen. Regardless, anyone sane would never wear close-fitting armor (or close-fitting clothes under armor), as that completely defeats the intended purpose. Armor, whether modern or medieval, is attempting to cushion the body from blows. Form fitting is anathema to that goal.

www.warhistoryonline.com

7 Types of Medieval Armor - From Quilted Cloth to Full Steel Plate

More than any other artifact of war, armor dominates visual images of medieval Europe. From the chainmail carefully stitched onto each warrior in the

As you say, armor as depicted in fiction has little to do with practicality, and is much more about following rule of cool. Or in the case of every fantasy gacha game, rule of bikini armor. That said, it is particularly galling to see armors with tit windows that otherwise look like functional armor (it's like putting a STAB ME HERE sign on your clothes). It's just... kind of an extra layer of stupid.

Like, aside from the gross sexualization, the fact that neither the human body nor metal bends that way drives me up a wall (seriously, making armor this way would be ridiculously complicated and extremely fragile). The armor has to be like... floating in front of her, because it could not physically be worn the way it seems intended. And what's worse, is that nearly ALL the males are wearing armor that would be at least somewhat practical in a medieval setting.

Ugh. Just fucking frustrating any way you slice it. Shitty design, zero imagination, no care for artistry or function or consistency. Always the same with the game industry, "hurr durr girls boobs! me like boobs!" Thanks. We're glad your inner horny fourteen year-old can dissolve any chance of people ever taking the medium seriously.

Last edited:

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Just experienced intense discomfort playing Rune Factory 4, saw it was brought up before in regards to the girl MC's... design, so this feels as good of a thread to bring this up as any.

There's a piece of equipment in the game called "lolita headdress". Inoffensive description, it just looks like a head band, but discovering it shocked me in a way I haven't felt in a while. Lolita. Loli. Why have I just been so okay with playing this game with dubiously aged characters and blindly accepting romance possibilities with characters that look like they're 10. Makes me feel gross as fuck. Nuked the game off my switch but jeez.

What bothers me the most about RF4 is that there are a couple decent looking obviously adult characters. Why can't we get games like this where the rating isn't synonymous with average character age? :(

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just experienced intense discomfort playing Rune Factory 4, saw it was brought up before in regards to the girl MC's... design, so this feels as good of a thread to bring this up as any.

There's a piece of equipment in the game called "lolita headdress". Inoffensive description, it just looks like a head band, but discovering it shocked me in a way I haven't felt in a while. Lolita. Loli. Why have I just been so okay with playing this game with dubiously aged characters and blindly accepting romance possibilities with characters that look like they're 10. Makes me feel gross as fuck. Nuked the game off my switch but jeez.

I'm pretty sure "Lolita" in that case is a reference to Lolita fashion.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm pretty sure "Lolita" in that case is a reference to Lolita fashion.
One of the worst things about anime and stuff is that it ruined Lolita Fashion conversation. The fashion itself is super interesting and my gf likes it, but you can't even talk about it now without all the negative context, as evidenced by this thread. The dresses are usually super intricate and everything.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

What bothers me the most about RF4 is that there are a couple decent looking obviously adult characters. Why can't we get games like this where the rating isn't synonymous with average character age? :(
Along with the above post, one of the issues with games like Rune Factory and the series it is a spin off of is that these games do have an audience that contains children (the Bokumono games at least have Furigana which is included to help children read words) where a character like Amber or Kiel is who they would want to marry because they are in their age range versus say a 20+ year old marriage candidate.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why is it called Lolita though?
From that page.

lolita fashion is derived from an earlier maiden fashion movement which emphasized cuteness and youth. Eventually became a movement of fashion rejecting stifling maturity fashion in Japan. Lolita is a term of convenience due to its relation to youth. It's not intended to be a fetish indicator.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
From that page.

lolita fashion is derived from an earlier maiden fashion movement which emphasized cuteness and youth. Eventually became a movement of fashion rejecting stifling maturity fashion in Japan. Lolita is a term of convenience due to its relation to youth. It's not intended to be a fetish indicator.
I can only assume the name itself came from the book? I've never read it personally but just looked up a synopsis on it and sounds creepy as hell.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

I've seen people try to reframe things as sex positive and those who were against rampant sexualization labeled as "prudes".

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The name comes from the book but not because of the sexual connotation.
From that page.

Okay but why is it named after a story about pedophilia then?

Cerulean_skylark

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Okay but why is it named after a story about pedophilia then?

Because that name has become synonymous with the concept of "girl of a certain age". Just read the wiki link you responded to :S

I'm not defending anything, i'm pretty disgusted by "ephebophiles" and everything else. But the name of lolita fashion has nothing to do with loli-cons which is just a term for pedophile. And lolita may be the name of a character and title of a book about a pedophile, but the word itself isn't a synonym for pedophilia.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Because that name has become synonymous with the concept of "girl of a certain age". Just read the wiki link you responded to :S

I'm not defending anything, i'm pretty disgusted by "ephebophiles" and everything else. But the name of lolita fashion has nothing to do with loli-cons which is just a term for pedophile. And lolita may be the name of a character and title of a book about a pedophile, but the word itself isn't a synonym for pedophilia.
It's definitely a bit of an odd term for a fashion movement, given the term's origins and its implied sexual connotation. That said, whenever I see that kind of fashion my mind goes to gothic fashion, and then follows up with gothic lolita fashion, and I can't really tell which inspired which or if they're both offshoots in different directions of the same idea. I do think Harajuku fashion might be more appropriate, given the fashion's origins, but then it also has to be associated with a much more colorful pop aesthetic. By the time the fashion rolled around it was already trying to escape the pop disposition of 80s and 90s culture.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019

from wiki, based on research ( see the reference links)

Within Japanese culture the name refers to cuteness and elegance rather than to sexual attractiveness.Many lolitas in Japan are not aware that lolita is associated with Nabokov's book and they are disgusted by it when they discover such relation.

Another confusion that often occurs is between the Lolita fashion style and cosplay. Although both spread from Japan, they are different and should be perceived as independent from each other;one is a fashion style while the other is role-play, with clothing and accessory being used to play a character. This does not exclude that there may be some overlap between members of both groups. This can be seen at anime conventions such as the convention in Götenborg in which cosplay and Japanese fashion is mixed. For some Lolitas, it is insulting if people label their outfit as a costume.

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
31-7-184.jpg

general dragias who runs the evil army in that game and scardinge from 2. Their both kara the pactmaker for the black knight.
latest

the black knight in question

I love this game just for how cool that reveal is and how really entertaining the story is since its medieval super sentai in the vein of kamen rider or powerangers. Its such a nice subversion from traditional games where so many woman are just barely dressed in anything. and she looks so cool in her dancers outfit when she joins the party later on.
7Hh_U4SwlrAIgt1cOZSmZ3LhJSF5mOpqssbll3tDkFCMNYhWAyBt0X0WnWnehHvAwlQnZk138lGQl9kZ9RLDo4Y2YhSiHb9RjTrsGHGJ

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
2 and a half years of this discussion and I'm still not sure whether 'it's empowering to be a titninja' or 'vaginabones' is the most ludicrous response we've seen so far.

I recently discovered this gem. I think it's up there.

(I forgot to add that her skin looks bad like she's not fertile.)

I think Nu Jill just looks too masculine.compared to Julia - Resident Evil 3

For Resident Evil 3 on the PlayStation 4, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "I think Nu Jill just looks too masculine.compared to Julia".

Last edited:

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
31-7-184.jpg

general dragias who runs the evil army in that game and scardinge from 2. Their both kara the pactmaker for the black knight.
latest

I love this game just for how cool that reveal is and how really entertaining the story is since its medieval super sentai in the vein of kamen rider or powerangers. Its such a nice subversion from traditional games where so many woman are just barely dressed in anything. and she looks so cool in her dancers outfit when she joins the party later on.
7Hh_U4SwlrAIgt1cOZSmZ3LhJSF5mOpqssbll3tDkFCMNYhWAyBt0X0WnWnehHvAwlQnZk138lGQl9kZ9RLDo4Y2YhSiHb9RjTrsGHGJ
Like, it's cool and all, but why does she have an exposed belly? So weird. Why go through all the trouble to create a character with a strong knight theme and then have a dimorphic visual design that emphasizes curves?

I recently discovered this gem

I think Nu Jill just looks too masculine.compared to Julia - Resident Evil 3

For Resident Evil 3 on the PlayStation 4, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "I think Nu Jill just looks too masculine.compared to Julia".
Ugh.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Because that name has become synonymous with the concept of "girl of a certain age".
It most certainy has not. Within that particlar Japanese subculture? Sure. In the world at large? Absolutely not.

If I were to refer to my niece (who is soon to be 12 years old) as a "lolita", simply because of the age range she occupies, I would rightfully be called out by and possibly ostracized by my family and friends for being a major creep. It has a very clear meaning among the vast majority of people, and not simply as an age range.

If you look at the Wikipedia entry for the word Lolita, rather than for the concept of lolicon, this is made obvious. There is a paragraph dedicated to the Japanese subculture, but the word itself is absolutely referring to a sexually precocious girl.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
31-7-184.jpg

latest

Wait, White Knight Chronicles 3 was a thing? Wasn't there just the 2 games and that Prequel PSP game?

Cerulean_skylark

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It most certainy has not. Within that particlar Japanese subculture? Sure. In the world at large? Absolutely not.

If I were to refer to my niece (who is soon to be 12 years old) as a "lolita", simply because of the age range she occupies, I would rightfully be called out by and possibly ostracized by my family and friends for being a major creep. It has a very clear meaning among the vast majority of people, and not simply as an age range.

If you look at the Wikipedia entry for the word Lolita, rather than for the concept of lolicon, this is made obvious. There is a paragraph dedicated to the Japanese subculture, but the word itself is absolutely referring to a sexually precocious girl.

I mean, i'm talking about a fashion subgenre. no way in a million years would i make the same argument about a person.

Status
Not open for further replies.