• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I was excited for Rune Factory 4 Special until I saw the female protagonist's design.

An8aIPa.jpg

Why does she have a faux chain nipple ring? I hope you can change clothes in the game... And just looking it up, every outdoor outfit is just a recolor. >:(

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was excited for Rune Factory 4 Special until I saw the female protagonist's design.

Why does she have a faux chain nipple ring? I hope you can change clothes in the game... And just looking it up, every outdoor outfit is just a recolor. >:(
I feel like that was an unintentional result of going for Nomura-style forced asymmetry.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No unfortunately not. On the plus size it his hard to see on the model itself.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Maybe already posted, but this tweet is doing rounds, and it baffles me such design was created and approved in the year of 2020, big yikes energy.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe already posted, but this tweet is doing rounds, and it baffles me such design was created and approved in the year of 2020, big yikes energy.

Holy shit. The legs, that back arch, the small head, the bust, the fucking pose, the uniform designed to invoke a miniskirt... Where to even start?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
My SO and myself are binging Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (amazing show, terrible title). One of the songs managed to encapsulate a feminist paradox I've been thinking over quite a lot myself. This being kind of Era's unofficial feminism thread (there's no official one as far as I can tell), I wanted to know what others in this thread thought about this topic. Sorry, Morrigan; at least it's not anime. :D

I never saw that as "true" feminism but the kind of feminism that companies tell they are doing.

But sometimes fitting into the beauty standard makes the person happier than the pains al that do so who I am to argue?
I don't think even exercises are worth for the pain they bring xD

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

It doesn't seem that bad aside from making me think of the crime against humanity that are nipple rings.

Holy shit. The legs, that back arch, the small head, the bust, the fucking pose, the uniform designed to invoke a miniskirt... Where to even start?

It really gets worse the more you look at it. It's like the cut a big chunk out of her back.

Real talk the male character should also have a bigger ass. We don't have too many make characters that are really sexualized. The closest is the Yakuza series.
edit: sorry for the double post. Meant to place the quote in my last post.

Yunsar

Oct 27, 2017
Real talk the male character should also have a bigger ass. We don't have too many make characters that are really sexualized. The closest is the Yakuza series.
edit: sorry for the double post. Meant to place the quote in my last post.

That's never going to happen since the gaming community is still largely dominated by cis straight men, which means sexualization of men will never be accepted by the mainstream audience. An example would be the main character of Mobius Final Fantasy, whose clothing was deemed to revealing and had to be changed.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/04/...le-lead-has-his-revealing-costume-toned-down/

If Wol had been a woman, I bet no one would complain.

In my experience the games that features sexualized men are usually intended for gay male audience in the first place, such as Gyee or Tokyo Afterschool Summoners.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
That's never going to happen since the gaming community is still largely dominated by cis straight men, which means sexualization of men will never be accepted by the mainstream audience. An example would be the main character of Mobius Final Fantasy, whose clothing was deemed to revealing and had to be changed.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/04/...le-lead-has-his-revealing-costume-toned-down/

In my experience the games that features sexualized men are usually intended for gay male audience in the first place, such as Gyee or Tokyo Afterschool Summoners.
These the same people that have that 2b outfit in ff14? Though atleast there both can wear them. See far more male characters with just the leggings on since it enhances the characters ass.

Gotta wonder for specifically this mobile game if they didn't for a second question the too sexy claim.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I mean, there's not even a need to go to deleted designs. Everytime Vaan design pops you can feel the insecurity in some guys. Or the difference in the reactions between Rex and Pyra's design in Xeno2.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I never saw that as "true" feminism but the kind of feminism that companies tell they are doing.

But sometimes fitting into the beauty standard makes the person happier than the pains al that do so who I am to argue?
I don't think even exercises are worth for the pain they bring xD

Yeah, it's something I've been thinking because "I wear heels / makeup / etc. for myself" is something I've seen mentioned a lot, including by feminist women; and on one hand feminism is all about empowering womens' personal choices, but on the other it's hard not to wonder, given a patriarchal society's standards of beauty, subconsciously absorbed and then reinforced by everyone... to what extent are they "personal choices" at all? Like the rest of the show, the song does such a great job of exposing the underlying paradox through humour, and in particular the line about the moebius strip describes at least my thought process on the matter perfectly.

To be specific, I'm not faulting anyone for, as you say, being too exhausted from fighting sexism on so many fronts that they would rather go with the flow in this regard and find happiness in their own conventional beauty; it's when doing so is brought up as an actual example of feminist empowerment that I can't help wondering about it.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Guess Wolcen goes to show that it's not just Japanese games that have a problem still, lol

This looks like a textbook Rob Liefeld design.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017

Wearing heels in a highly inappropriate setting, back arch about to paralyze the poor woman if the wind hits her wrong, disparity between the 2 models?
Yep, that's a woman model in a video game.
😒

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It really gets worse the more you look at it. It's like the cut a big chunk out of her back.
Guess Wolcen goes to show that it's not just Japanese games that have a problem still, lol

This looks like a textbook Rob Liefeld design.
It's almost like they were trying to make the worst gendered design possible. It's hard to fathom where the design came from as it doesn't even look good from a weird fanservice angle
The hair and jacket are covering up the fact that her neck is way too long. And the cleavage is too low on the body and looks like it was photoshop'd in after the fact when the artist realized they didn't make a good posture for the titillation.
Eh I think she looks fine?
ss_af00a7a3a1c0a1c487f5a6bdd2842750dcf64b50.1920x1080.jpg
This, however, is way better (besides the long neck thing)

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia

The male character is looking uncomfortable (and strange) in his pose but yeah, that female is all around really, really fucked up..
Can it be some problem with the animation or with that specific armor in that screen when it comes to her back? Because in other types of armor the female character looks ok apart from the still horrendous torso-legs ratio (and heels)
ERN9U14X0AEXjra

ERN9U1nXYAEzI0N

ERN9U1uXUAIFiD4

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

errpgnxvuaeh2odjzka8.jpg

I'm impressed how they drew almost every single women in this picture in such a way...the only exceptions are conveniently far in the back.

Kazumi Mishima sticks out as a particularly bad case here. She's always covered up fully in the the game, and, to my knowledge, never sexualized in any way.

But I haven't played Tekken since 3, so maybe other female characters are just as bad, I dunno.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I'm impressed how they drew almost every single women in this picture in such a way...the only exceptions are conveniently far in the back.
Just a really poorly designed picture in general. Scaling is odd, no place for the eye to focus. Eugh.

I do wonder if part of the issue for games in Japan (and their sexualization) could be related to video games still being thought of as being for younger people and kids. This article seems to indicate the average age of Japanese video gamers is MUCH lower than most other parts of the world:

(translation by redditor)
After 10 mins google searching, I found only one relevant article. Professor Baba from Tokyo University states the average age of the gamers in Japan is 27 years old, compared to 37 years for USA and 41 years old for France.

edit: He also state smart phone games boosted the average age of Japanese gamers recently. So it suggests average age of "true" Japanese gamers are even lower and it matches my personal experience. (There had been negative campaign for gaming overall back when the Japanese gaming industry was still thriving and gaming is still widely considered something for kids.)

ゲーマーの平均年齢は米国が37歳、フランスが41歳なのに対し、日本は27歳

www.itmedia.co.jp

日本でeスポーツが流行らないのは“おじさんゲーマー不足”? 協会理事に聞く

ビデオゲームなどの腕を競い合う「eスポーツ」。海外で盛り上がりを見せる一方、日本ではいまいち――日本eスポーツ協会の馬場章理事に理由を尋ねた。

I do think this also means that Japan's game developers (most are boomers, at this point) don't think much of their younger audiences, and care even less about exploiting them. Though I suppose that's a more general trend, especially with recent waves of conservatism across multiple countries.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that Tifa sexualization discussion in the remake thread was certainly something. Because the game has a talking lion-dog, a guy with a gun-hand and another guy with a huge sword, Tifa's sexualized look fits right in and shouldn't be critiqued. I feel like one of those is not like the others.

Oct 26, 2017
I give a bonus point when they're actually wearing pants. So +1 there. But as others have said, the in-game art is much better.

Well, that Tifa sexualization discussion in the remake thread was certainly something. Because the game has a talking lion-dog, a guy with a gun-hand and another guy with a huge sword, Tifa's sexualized look fits right in and shouldn't be critiqued. I feel like one of those is not like the others.
I'm tempted to go in there and see what's going on, but....I have to resist for my sanity.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I give a bonus point when they're actually wearing pants. So +1 there. But as others have said, the in-game art is much better.

I'm tempted to go in there and see what's going on, but....I have to resist for my sanity.

Don't. It's the same shit as usual "There's nothing wrong with being sexy - your party is made of unrealistic people so why does she need to be realistic, it's just being faithful" etc.

Bonus Points for the people pretending its a tired conversation.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
www.theguardian.com

Tekken: the fighting game that gives women the meatiest stories

Filled with intrigue and drama, the Tekken games are like violent soap operas in which women are the complex stars

It's a cool article, and kind of gets to the core of why so many Tekken characters are pretty great, but it also feels like it is talking about a long gone era for Tekken. I kind of felt like 7 was terrible to its female cast. Almost none of them mattered in the game's story mode, instead being dominated by the same two guys who have basically been controlling the game's narrative since the original. Tekken is still ahead of most other fighting franchises, but its modern direction has definitely minimized the roles of the female cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.