• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Those are thick cuffs over his forearms. He doesn't have Popeye arms, lol.
But his forearms expand from the elbow to fill the cuffs! Unless he's wearing some kind of padding under his shirt... and this is ignoring the overall weird distortedness of his shoulder and underarm area...

This was all likely done for clarity of silhouette, especially in scenes with a distant camera, but holy cow it doesn't hold up viewed up close.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Those cuffs are supposed to be big, it takes up half of his forearm if you see his model not from a weird cropped picture.

526px-Claude_The_Schemer_BtlFace.webp.png

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Someone unironically posted this fan art in the Smash thread:

Does every women character need to make people horny? For a lot of dudes it sure seems so.

I will say that I read the last line in a Zangief voice and went back and read the rest in Zangief's voice and now I want a parody that replaces Byleth with Zangief

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Since you spend most of your time running around, I sometimes forgot what her outfit looked like since it looks fine from behind. Then a cutscene happens and I remember, "oh yeah she's wearing this garbage outfit"

MShep gets a face scan of a model from the first game.

FemShep finally gets a default custom face in the third game, but her looks gets based off a facebook poll and the head model they end up creating was too big for her body and cartoony. I don't see why they bothered if they weren't going to put any effort into it.

Edit: They def changed her body too. Made her butt bigger and hips wider.

femshep_comparison.jpg

I remember her running looking goofy as hell.

ME3 FemShep literally just reuses BroShep's animations.

So much about that game gave me the feeling the story was just built from the multiplayer mode assets or something.

Aurelia Borel

Oct 30, 2017
ME3 FemShep literally just reuses BroShep's animations.

With a weapon drawn, yes, but FemShep and DudeShep had different walking/running animations when on the Normandy/Citadel/anywhere they didn't have guns. And FemShep's animations were definitely goofy looking. Like they felt she need to "run like a girl" or something stupid like that.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not a video game, but Magic the Gathering announced a special promo set based on Year of the Rat with new art. One of the cards is Ink-Eyes, Servant of the Oni.

Here's the original art by Wayne Reynolds. (I should note I personally love this particular art despite the character design)

0a835a8031d21a9da77b0a5fdf6e8e8f.jpg

Here's art for a reprint by Ron Spears

f5a1926450c423f9ed1053f46fb84aaf.jpg

Here's the newest version by JungShan.

MTG-Secret-Lair-Rat-Themed-Bundle.jpg

Just thought it was interesting to see how the design was updated.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
He's also got a different voice in Wreck It Ralph, which is disappointing considering they got Bison's VA on board.
It was actually the director himself. I guess he REALLY wanted to voice Zangief?

Anyway, speaking of Byleth. Fun story. Last night watching the direct reactions was the first time my sister had seen Byleth before.

Her: I LOVE those leggings
Me: *chortle* Really? Most people online, namely women I've seen HATE it.
Her: *confused* Huh why?
Me: It's the fact that the male counterpart looks competently dressed for battle and the female version seems dressed more to be "pretty" and in battle having skin exposed like that is dumb.
Her: Okay, yeah, I can see that. On its own it just looks aesthetically pleasing to me.
Me: I think that's how Japanese design (anime and game character design) works these days. They just go for aesthetically pleasing and throw practicality out the window.
Her: Now that I look at it, the single knee guard on both of them is really dumb.

Anyway, not meant as a gotcha or anything. Just thought it would be fun to share.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The fact the original art managed to put perky breasts on a filthy rat still amazes me. Like, you expect Tit-ninja's, but not rat tit-ninjas!

Derpot

Nov 18, 2017
France
It was actually the director himself. I guess he REALLY wanted to voice Zangief?

Anyway, speaking of Byleth. Fun story. Last night watching the direct reactions was the first time my sister had seen Byleth before.

Her: I LOVE those leggings
Me: *chortle* Really? Most people online, namely women I've seen HATE it.
Her: *confused* Huh why?
Me: It's the fact that the male counterpart looks competently dressed for battle and the female version seems dressed more to be "pretty" and in battle having skin exposed like that is dumb.
Her: Okay, yeah, I can see that. On its own it just looks aesthetically pleasing to me.
Me: I think that's how Japanese design (anime and game character design) works these days. They just go for aesthetically pleasing and throw practicality out the window.
Her: Now that I look at it, the single knee guard on both of them is really dumb.

Anyway, not meant as a gotcha or anything. Just thought it would be fun to share.

Yeah, FByleth's outfit would have been fine if she was going to some night club or some fashion show, but not a battlefield.

Of course, even some women like it and find it pretty, and there is no problem with that. Not all chara designs need to be about practicality (or else it could get boring fast, right?). However it is important to me that a design conveys what the character is supposed to be (personality, role, story, etc). FByleth doesn't look like a competent mercenary compared to MByleth. In fact, it kinda looks like she's wearing some sexy Halloween teacher costume (and we already have Manuela to fill that role urgh).

Anyway, making FByleth's outfit too different from MByleth's was a stupid/weird decision whereas Corrin and Robin didn't have that issue (except the "thigh window" for FCorrin, which was very stupid and unnecessary too).

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Since the topic of Fire Emblem has been brought up, I'm curious what is this thread's opinion on the other female character designs of Three Houses, aside from Byleth, who has already been thoroughly discussed?

I rate it 7/10 outfits. One of my fav characters Bernie's design is just all over the place :(

I wish Byleth got a new outfit in the time skip too.

I like her comics and her personal remake of Byleth's outfite which is lore-friendly.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
^ Okay, weird posture and clashing clothes aside, it's crazy how well that works (it looks like its own legit render). Or maybe it's just me...

Last edited:

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
No, the styles clash less than in Byleth's actual lower and upper half. Even the belly window kinda works since it comes off looking like a crop top. Cool armored 90's skater girl design! Only thing missing is metal knee-pads worn over the jeans.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm legitimately surprised people are down on the female Byleth's design. It feels like among both men and women fans it's considered the better and more interesting design.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Not a video game, but Magic the Gathering announced a special promo set based on Year of the Rat with new art. One of the cards is Ink-Eyes, Servant of the Oni.

Here's the original art by Wayne Reynolds. (I should note I personally love this particular art despite the character design)

0a835a8031d21a9da77b0a5fdf6e8e8f.jpg

Here's art for a reprint by Ron Spears

f5a1926450c423f9ed1053f46fb84aaf.jpg

Here's the newest version by JungShan.

MTG-Secret-Lair-Rat-Themed-Bundle.jpg

The newest version not only looks better, it also doesn't look like she ripped her outfit straight from the movie Heavy Metal.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017

Here's the original art by Wayne Reynolds. (I should note I personally love this particular art despite the character design.

Reminds me of Warhammer Skaven.
Although female Skaven are never seen or even heard of. Although they undoubably must exist.
Some old lore hypothesized them to be nothing more than giant breeding machines. Although I don't know if this is still canon.
Honestly I'm not sure if this is better or worse than Magic's sexy, big boob ratwomen.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Mostly thinking of how my girlfriend fell in love with FE Byleth's design and wants to cosplay it.
High thighs and lace leggings are awesome when you are the one choosing to wear them for yourself and not to be some guy's fantasy, same goes for 2b's dress, that'd be an amazing dancing outfit if the lower part actually covered the butt crack xO

It's that fine line between character sexualization vs. someone's freedom of choosing to wear revealing clothes when you're not a product of someone else's imagination :/

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Fem Blyeth looks like a mid-2000s scene girl... in a medieval fantasy setting. It's very jarring.

At least the Fighters Pass got one fully playable female character. Love Kazooie, but she's a half point at best.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I get the idea of this thread. But jumping in from time to time I just get the feeling people love sharing bad examples.
That's said, there are enough bad examples in real life as well.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Fem Blyeth looks like a mid-2000s scene girl... in a medieval fantasy setting. It's very jarring.

At least the Fighters Pass got one fully playable female character. Love Kazooie, but she's a half point at best.
Except she has the asterisk of being the secondary costume. It's better than nothing, but that's not saying much.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legitimately surprised people are down on the female Byleth's design. It feels like among both men and women fans it's considered the better and more interesting design.

Why? It's terrible. Giant boobs, torn fishnet tights, utterly useless armour and she even has that terrible 'toes pointed inwards' stance you see in Anime to make women seem even more helpless and 'cute'. It's lazy and stereotypical.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
High thighs and lace leggings are awesome when you are the one choosing to wear them for yourself and not to be some guy's fantasy, same goes for 2b's dress, that'd be an amazing dancing outfit if the lower part actually covered the butt crack xO

It's that fine line between character sexualization vs. someone's freedom of choosing to wear revealing clothes when you're not a product of someone else's imagination :/
👆 This. A fictional character doesn't have autonomy.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019

It's just weird like everyone is wearing fantasy outfits and then it's just a modern outfit that has a tummy shirt. I mean, if they removed the tummy shirt and added pants OK.

Anyways, I've see a lot of comments on how terrible it looks on different places vs the male outfit.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
So Fate/Grand Order just announced a costume based on the outfit that the male protagonist has in the Babylonia anime, so the female one should look the same right?
1ty8zv9ytaa41.jpg

The stupidest thing is people saying that it's fine because "LoRe rEaSoNs"
Found an artist in Pixiv who fixed the outfit, and the other one is basically the same version as Gudao.
gudakogmk56.jpg

Source: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/78965890

Both versions look way better than what she actually wears in the game.

Personally, I hate it with a passion. On top that it doesn't look good, you have to wonder why a mercenary is wearing something that doesn't protect her body. Unless you tell me tights are good protection.

Nintendo did good, though. This actually forced me to buy the season pass since I refuse to play the game with that outfit. That said, the dlc outfit for female Byleth, while being better than the default one, is still terrible.

Why is it so hard for Japanese developers to let their female characters wear pants?

Last edited:

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
👆 This. A fictional character doesn't have autonomy.

I'm not a designer or creator but how should people cosplay a sexy character if nobody would design a sexy character?

These people seem to like the female Byleth design. That's what caught their eye in the first place.

I personally don't like the outfit. It feels out of place but then again im used to oversexualised characters so i'm happy for each and every normal one.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? It's terrible. Giant boobs, torn fishnet tights, utterly useless armour and she even has that terrible 'toes pointed inwards' stance you see in Anime to make women seem even more helpless and 'cute'. It's lazy and stereotypical.

It's not torn fishnets, it's patterned material I assume made from lace. Sofia Nayard used similar material for wedding dress.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I'm not a designer or creator but how should people cosplay a sexy character if nobody would design a sexy character?

These people seem to like the female Byleth design. That's what caught their eye in the first place.

I personally don't like the outfit. It feels out of place but then again im used to oversexualised characters so i'm happy for each and every normal one.
🤣 Sexy characters are never going away, plus there is more than one way for a character to be "sexy."

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017

To add on what the others have said, an annoying thing is how both Byleth's are suppose to be the same person, but are obviously treated very differently design wise.
Bylad is dressed for his occupation and Bylass is...some lost cosplayer?

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
female Byleth's outfit is so bad it kinda loops back around and becomes endearing in its badness, whereas male Byleth is just an aggressively boring, generic otome boy

this edit also shows the weird disparity between their faces
zmyoc3yx1la31.jpg

it's so weird to me that they got rid of the customization feature of the previous two games only to end up with two bad designs for a personality-less, self-insert character
and their designs also stand out even more because the rest of the character designs are generally really good

imo female Byleth would have been significantly improved if her outfit were more like Edelgard's, who also has a shorts/leggings thing going on

latest

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019

Sexy does not have to mean scantily clad.

Status
Not open for further replies.