• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
So Fate/Grand Order just announced a costume based on the outfit that the male protagonist has in the Babylonia anime, so the female one should look the same right?
1ty8zv9ytaa41.jpg

The stupidest thing is people saying that it's fine because "LoRe rEaSoNs"

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Pyre sounds like such an interesting concept that I don't think I could ever bring myself to play. Like, the idea that you have to give away your developed party members so they can achieve story based satisfaction, that's conceptually interesting in gaining attachment to your large group of party members and feeling the actual loss when they leave and also to keep gameplay from getting stale by getting you to experiment with other characters. The writing for Supergiant games has always been strong on world building and emotional arcs too.

But giving away characters is a pretty difficult pill to swallow, even with all the theoretical gains. And I don't even say no to requests in Dragon Quest games, where it's obvious that you're not allowed to say no because I feel bad about it so telling characters, no you can't have your freedom isn't on the table either.

... Also I don't play sports games except stuff like Wii Sports. I think that's what the genre is.

I just finished the game (platinumed it) and yea, you basically nailed it.

The ending was so incredibly bittersweet for me. I don't even know if you can get a "traditional" best ending given the way the game is setup.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Anyone played SaGa Scarlet Grace?
I think it has some good female characters and the outfits for them are good for the most part.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
So Fate/Grand Order just announced a costume based on the outfit that the male protagonist has in the Babylonia anime, so the female one should look the same right?
1ty8zv9ytaa41.jpg

The stupidest thing is people saying that it's fine because "LoRe rEaSoNs"

The last bastion of poor critical thinking. I mean at least give her pants.

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently as a photographer if I want to do a cosplay shoot people automatically assume I want to photograph a half naked woman instead of shooting a person in a really cool costume.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Speaking of Japanese developers, will we ever see them begin to reform themselves like Western developers did the past decade?

Or will Japanese developers fill the growing 'fanservice' gap left by Western devs changing their attitude. As far as I can tell from all of the anime tiddy games on Steam and Switch the latter is happening. Even Nintendo is not immune to excessive 'fanservice.'

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have nothing but respect for them. The amount of work that they put into their costumes is great, it's an art in itself and I would like to capture that. Not...lewd bullshit.

I have cosplay friends who feel like they have no choice to do lewd stuff at times because it's one of the few ways to get attention/sales consistently. What's worse is that these same assholes then assume because they buy a few pictures that they are entitled to her body/sexual harassment. It sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
I have cosplay friends who feel like they have no choice to do lewd stuff at times because it's one of the few ways to get attention/sales consistently. What's worse is that these same assholes then assume because they buy a few pictures that they are entitled to her body/sexual harassment. It sucks.
Yeah I hate that whole aspect of it. Just found out many of them get implants to make sure that they're filled out enough to get attention. The whole thing is a mess.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Japanese developers, will we ever see them begin to reform themselves like Western developers did the past decade?
One can only hope for next gen, but I'll believe it when I see it. I mean new consoles are coming soon and can anyone name a big or decent budget game from Japan staring a woman without any objectification or shit representation? The only one I can think of is the Resident Evil 3 remake. And even then DLC can change that.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
One can only hope for next gen, but I'll believe it when I see it. I mean new consoles are coming soon and can anyone name a big or decent budget game from Japan staring a woman without any objectification or shit representation? The only one I can think of is the Resident Evil 3 remake. And even then DLC can change that.

The Souls games? I know Japan has a big problem with objectification, but you really shouldn't paint with such a broad brush.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The Souls games? I know Japan has a big problem with objectification, but you really shouldn't paint with such a broad brush.
Souls games have a lot of great designs of what I've seen when it comes to female characters, but I said staring a woman not something from a character creator. Maybe Eldin Ring will change that right Morrigan? And I said a big to mid budget game from Japan. What major game from this gen can I play from companies like SE Japan, Capcom or even Nintendo stars a female character WITHOUT objectification?

Pointing out something that is doesn't mean anyone is painting the entirety of anything a certain way. Hell overall videogames staring women got lower according to that analysis FF made for E3 last year.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naw, the video implies it's the fans coming up with the nonsense excuses, while the creators just love drawing big tits.

Nowadays? Nowadays you have the actual creators spurting pretentious nonsense to excuse the sexualisation of their female characters.
Well, to be real, the bs pseudo philosophy that the fans spout is just to veil the truth that they want the same as "I just wanna see some tiddies". So I kinda didnt have the distinction you were making between the two. lol

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Or will Japanese developers fill the growing 'fanservice' gap left by Western devs changing their attitude. As far as I can tell from all of the anime tiddy games on Steam and Switch the latter is happening. Even Nintendo is not immune to excessive 'fanservice.'

It's a cultural issue in Japan that will probably take a long time to uproot. Patriarchy and sexual objectification is a global phenomenon obviously but it's particularly magnified in Japan for various socioeconomic and historical reasons. Nobody can predict the future, but I do feel like a lot of social dynamics will change as the otaku demographic ages out and there are less young adults around because nobody is making babies in Japan. Perhaps the market will shrink enough that Japanese products will be more focused on selling to global audiences and thus catering to global standards (which aren't great still, but lack the issue of an insular culture focused on a single country).

There are no easy answers to this question, especially since if you're not Japanese there's probably little you can do to change it, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Naw, the video implies it's the fans coming up with the nonsense excuses, while the creators just love drawing big tits.

Nowadays? Nowadays you have the actual creators spurting pretentious nonsense to excuse the sexualisation of their female characters.
And when they do say they just want to draw tits the fans praise them for being honest about it, like that's something to be proud of.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
It's a cultural issue in Japan that will probably take a long time to uproot. Patriarchy and sexual objectification is a global phenomenon obviously but it's particularly magnified in Japan for various socioeconomic and historical reasons. Nobody can predict the future, but I do feel like a lot of social dynamics will change as the otaku demographic ages out and there are less young adults around because nobody is making babies in Japan. Perhaps the market will shrink enough that Japanese products will be more focused on selling to global audiences and thus catering to global standards (which aren't great still, but lack the issue of an insular culture focused on a single country).

There are no easy answers to this question, especially since if you're not Japanese there's probably little you can do to change it, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Isn't anime more popular now than ever? Especially in the West. Japan's population is ageing but there is still a healthy and growing market abroad. If anything, Japan has done a better job exporting their culture to other countries than vice versa in recent years.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Isn't anime more popular now than ever? Especially in the West. Japan's population is ageing but there is still a healthy and growing market abroad. If anything, Japan has done a better job exporting their culture to other countries than vice versa in recent years.

It is, but their primary market is still Japan. It's where they make the most money because of merchandise and Blu-Ray sales, which are vastly overpriced compared to western markets.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Markets outside of Japan are really not that important to most production committees (from what I gather), since most anime productions are intended as advertisements for products with higher profit margins.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Markets outside of Japan are really not that important to most production committees (from what I gather), since most anime productions are intended as advertisements for products with higher profit margins.

Especially if you have the collapse of distributors like IDP (France), Geneon and ADV and Tokyopop restructuring.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
but I said staring a woman not something from a character creator.
That wasn't really made clear in your initial post. Elden Ring will definitely have a character creator too, anyhow. But at least we don't get armour that turns into underwear when worn on a female character :P

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Eh, those all happened a ~decade ago, except fo IDP which I'm not familiar with.

My mistake, not IDP, declic images.

It was quite a blow back then, especially for Geneon, since they used to bring and fund very good series and things haven't fully recovered after this. Streaming sites are not for everyone and the content they bring is not the best either. Though it has also to do with Japanese distributors. For one good series, they force foreign distributors to buy a bundle with 5 forgettable ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.