• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom pretty much let Akiman (Chun-Li's creator) make whatever costumes he wanted for Chun-Li. Those costumes are 2 of a whole batch of costumes he made. But yeah, those two are just awful.

It's a shame, as Akiman's Undercover Cop costume for Chun-Li is fantastic. It's easily up there with SF Alpha Chun-Li as one of my favorite Chun-Li costumes in the game (& favorite costumes overall).

001.png
Now I'm remembering that part in the SF2 oral history of Yoko Shimomura talking about Akiman ranting at her about his thigh fetish.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
That would explain Chun-Li's massive thighs from SFIII onwards.
Yoko Shimomura said:
Chun-Li has big thighs, right? So back in the day, I asked Mr. Yasuda, "Why does she have such big thighs?" And he started shouting and went off and was like, "I can't believe you don't understand the appeal." And he started explaining the attraction. And you know, I'm a woman and I asked the question but it kind of got awkward when he started explaining his fetishes. I mean, he has really strong feelings toward his creations. There's a reason for everything being the way that it is. When I heard that, I thought maybe that's something that everybody thinks, but everybody doesn't go out telling everybody. But he just told me.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like all my content is nothing but central Asia LUL. Anyway found out a new movie from my country about real queen of steppe (central Asia) Tomiris. Some historic designs that I wish to see in games and movies.

Edit : now I think about did I ever mention about this before in this thread? Sorry if yes

12333333-800x480.jpg

DNsemnOXUAAONj9.jpg

17a98c7563a7161a09b3f1225fa7aa53_autox536.jpg

Okay, this is actually to irrelevant and blah to be mentioned, but right now I checked the indiegala freebies, and this gave me a good chuckle.

1576172424.png

I'd love to see her walking over the battlefield unharmed, cause magically every arrow and sword manages to hit a rare metal spot on her body. XD

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like all my content is nothing but central Asia LUL. Anyway found out a new movie from my country about real queen of steppe (central Asia) Tomiris. Some historic designs that I wish to see in games and movies.

Edit : now I think about did I ever mention about this before in this thread? Sorry if yes
Looks great! In general, live action shows have pretty good costumes because they have to be worn by actual women so they have to be good to move in. If you're into historical(-ish) armors and the like, there are tons of Chinese works out there (especially TV shows) with good costumes as well.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
Looks great! In general, live action shows have pretty good costumes because they have to be worn by actual women so they have to be good to move in. If you're into historical(-ish) armors and the like, there are tons of Chinese works out there (especially TV shows) with good costumes as well.
The thing, though I have not watched a lot of historic Chinese, Japanese or Korean TV shows I feel like bored from those costumes be it regal royalty or practical warrior or village.

Its just seems like most of them follow kinda similar motive I guess. I dont know maybe I just selfishly want to see more stuff that represents my people or my neighbors but I do believe the Central Asian designs are mostly overlooked.

Like Pretty sure something like this exist in other Culture or showed somewhere else but something about it makes me feel like ... unique.
DhFpHbRW0AAjYXs.jpg

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I've never played FF7 but is there a reason Tifa got a thread about being thirsty for cloud? It just seemed like a normal level of friendship...
Tifa's relationship with Cloud is super complex and actually kind of sad to be honest. It's something I don't think the remake will handle right at all.

Tifa's kinda manipulative but Cloud's also an idiot and mentally impaired by the mako and Zack death and other PTSD inducing elements of his time in Nibel. Tifa's entire schtick at the beginning of the game is almost feigning being into him to keep an eye on him because (as revealed in Mideel) she knows he's NOT who he says he is and knows he's got serious problems, and she practically feels sorry for the hick she grew up with.

So you have a childhood "sweetheart" who tries some pretty emotionally shady tactics to keep the guy around to watch over him, and a guy having a genuine identity crisis until the end of the second Disc for the most part. Tifa definitely "cares" about him, but the interesting part of the dichotomy of the designs of Tifa vs Aeris/th is that you have the bartender who is dressed how some would say "more promiscuous" who is more demure and quiet on the surface, while Aerith is seen as a more conservatively dressed character who is way more flirty and boisterous in the game.

Not that Tifa's re-design sits right with me still, but I'm willing to put down money that the new game will lean more towards anime/shonen and Tifa and Aerith will basically be the Pyra/Mythra of the Remake instead of keeping their original goals and ambitions, but I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

bryjoered

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
User banned (permanent): troll account
I guess I am an anti-progressive. I just don't really see the problem with putting good-looking men or women in games. I mean let's look at Joel from the last of us, he is conventionally rugged and good looking. Kratos from God of War. I mean you take a game like Tomb Raider, a game that has always had its protagonist in low-cut clothing and then in the new games they seem to go out of their way to ensure Lara is always covered head to toe.

I don't really care TBH, like it didn't lessen my enjoyment of the new Tomb Raiders that nothing about her resembles old Lara Croft, I just think it's a stupid argument. Like movie stars are going to be good looking, was it sexist when Margot Robbie revealed it all in Wolf of Wall Street? How about when Thor shows of his 8-pack? Progressives sap the fun out of everything in the blind pursuit of not offending anyone and we are on a breakneck pace. Pretty soon it's going to start to seriously hamper creativity.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Part of the reason I lurk in this thread is to see those terrible troll accounts. I laugh every time I read their terrible bullshit.

I mean why go to the effort to create the account for one post? What do they think they will accomplish?

Maybe I'm too distracted by sexy Kratos to figure it out.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
That guy was so certain his fellow gamers would agree with him that he didn't even glance at the OP, or any other post.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Part of the reason I lurk in this thread is to see those terrible troll accounts. I laugh every time I read their terrible bullshit.

I mean why go to the effort to create the account for one post? What do they think they will accomplish?

Maybe I'm too distracted by sexy Kratos to figure it out.

They want to rail against the SJWS but don't want their main account to get banned. That's why.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I am an anti-progressive. I just don't really see the problem with putting good-looking men or women in games. I mean let's look at Joel from the last of us, he is conventionally rugged and good looking. Kratos from God of War. I mean you take a game like Tomb Raider, a game that has always had its protagonist in low-cut clothing and then in the new games they seem to go out of their way to ensure Lara is always covered head to toe.

I don't really care TBH, like it didn't lessen my enjoyment of the new Tomb Raiders that nothing about her resembles old Lara Croft, I just think it's a stupid argument. Like movie stars are going to be good looking, was it sexist when Margot Robbie revealed it all in Wolf of Wall Street? How about when Thor shows of his 8-pack? Progressives sap the fun out of everything in the blind pursuit of not offending anyone and we are on a breakneck pace. Pretty soon it's going to start to seriously hamper creativity.

This is an interesting post because it neatly articulates how a lot of people feel about misogynistic representations of women. They are able to brush it all off because there are a handful of male characters with somewhat revealing designs (despite that argument falling to pieces with a minimal amount of investigation). They don't care about context, they don't want to hear anything about how these characters are framed, and they most certainly do not give a shit about actual women finding certain prevalent design tropes to be unpleasant. Unfortunately, I think a large part of the gaming community feels this way (and I'm not talking about the most toxic contingent).

Bryjoered was certainly an alt account, but I doubt they were trying to troll or be provocative. I think he felt genuinely embattled and wanted to be the voice of reason. Bryjoered is a strong indication of how very far we have to go. It will be interesting to see where we are at the end of this next decade...

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
This is an interesting post because it neatly articulates how a lot of people feel about misogynistic representations of women. They are able to brush it all off because there are a handful of male characters with somewhat revealing designs (despite that argument falling to pieces with a minimal amount of investigation). They don't care about context, they don't want to hear anything about how these characters are framed, and they most certainly do not give a shit about actual women finding certain prevalent design tropes to be unpleasant. Unfortunately, I think a large part of the gaming community feels this way (and I'm not talking about the most toxic contingent).

Bryjoered was certainly an alt account, but I doubt they were trying to troll or be provocative. I think he felt genuinely embattled and wanted to be the voice of reason. Bryjoered is a strong indication of how very far we have to go. It will be interesting to see where we are at the end of this next decade...

"Progressives sap the fun out of everything" is not an argument with any sort of merit or worth. That guy's argument is, literally, "I don't care, so the people who do care can fuck off". There is no attempt at sympathy there, it is 100% a statement meant to drum up ire in this thread, one that parrots hundreds that came before it.

Imagine trying to compare Tomb Raider to a goddamn Scorsese film.

Imagine completely missing the point of Margot Robbie's character in said Scorsese film.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Not game related, started watching Code Geass recently and love it.

Well besides the extremely overt sexualization every time a woman is on screen. it's so baaaad and distracting.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Code Geass was the first anime that I started realizing "...wait, why are there so many crotch shots? What purpose does this serve?"

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
"Progressives sap the fun out of everything" is not an argument with any sort of merit or worth. That guy's argument is, literally, "I don't care, so the people who do care can fuck off". There is no attempt at sympathy there, it is 100% a statement meant to drum up ire in this thread, one that parrots hundreds that came before it.

I think you misunderstood my post; we are on the same page. I don't think he was trying to be sympathetic, but I do think that the sentiment was probably sincere (though I don't truly know and it really isn't that important at the end of the day). I feel like that post serves as a window into the mind of a lot of gamers. It lets us know how far away we are from being where we need to be. My comment was by no means a defense of a chauvinistic poster.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Code Geass was the first anime that I started realizing "...wait, why are there so many crotch shots? What purpose does this serve?"

I only started noticing it more these days as I took a break from anime. It gets very disturbing. Almost every anime is *framed* that way with female casts. Makes things difficult to watch.

Not sure if anyone has watched the amazon prime show "The Boys" but they did make fun of the excuse of showing more skins speaks of a woman's confidence. In the context that male designers picked a more revealing (sexualizes) outside for one of the female super heroes. Unfortunately even if the show makes fun of sexism, and sexual harassment . It does not follow it up further other than showing that it happens and forget about it all together. Used for comedy more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.