• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
If someone wants a good vn, utawarerumono is pretty great.

I'm a sucker for otome vn. Still have a large back log with them. Trying to pick between Code Realize and collar x malice.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
999 is the only VN I ever finished and by the end it was really only the escape the room puzzles that kept me going. The author mentioned coming up with the climax first and writing the entire story as an excuse to get to it, and I could tell.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
999 is the only VN I ever finished and by the end it was really only the escape the room puzzles that kept me going. The author mentioned coming up with the climax first and writing the entire story as an excuse to get to it, and I could tell.

I really loved 999 and VLR, even though they are perfect poster children for all the issues mentioned in this thread, mostly concentrated in one character per game (Lotus for 999 and Alice for VLR). Of course, ZTD followed in the shitty tradition, too, on top of being a pretty uninspired game compared to them.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
If someone wants a good vn, utawarerumono is pretty great.

I'm a sucker for otome vn. Still have a large back log with them. Trying to pick between Code Realize and collar x malice.

I have to say C:R is still the best otome I've played ever even after all these years. I liked almost all the LI and I adored Cardia. Also, CxM really disappointed me who thought it'd be like Akane (Pyscho-Pass) but it was less interesting and boring.

The C:R fandisks just add side content and not really connected to the full game jic you're wondering what they're about.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good otome VNs with a lady protagonist that aren't "pick your boyfriend" or focused on het relationships?

The term otome is generally used similarly to galge and pretty much means pick your boyfriend. In terms of VNs with lady protagonists that aren't romance focused, maybe you're looking for something like fault milestone or Sound of Drop. In terms of non-het relationships I'm not sure. There are a bunch of yuri VNs but I think they're mainly targeted towards guys. I've heard good things about the flowers series but I'm not sure since it's not something I'm all that interested in.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
The term otome is generally used similarly to galge and pretty much means pick your boyfriend. In terms of VNs with lady protagonists that aren't romance focused, maybe you're looking for something like fault milestone or Sound of Drop. In terms of non-het relationships I'm not sure. There are a bunch of yuri VNs but I think they're mainly targeted towards guys. I've heard good things about the flowers series but I'm not sure since it's not something I'm all that interested in.
Yeah, josei would probably be a better genre designator, except even it isn't really strict and often is still romance focused. Overall it seems like even having a language for "woman-targeted" game is something rather foreign even now. And actually I'd say that's the case regardless of whether you're in Japan or America, Europe, or elsewhere. I oftentimes hear that games like Animal Crossing are targeted at women but realistically those seem more androgynous than targeted (i.e., the result of being popular with women are unintentional).

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I got Code Vein on the PSN sale and am enjoying it but....ugh jesus the clothes (can you call them that?) for the female characters are insane in the worst way.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Are there any good otome VNs with a lady protagonist that aren't "pick your boyfriend" or focused on het relationships?

Fatal 12 might be what you're looking for.

I haven't beaten it yet but I'm almost at the end and I've really enjoyed my time with it. It's not really a romance as the game's primarily about the protagonist (Rinka) and her experience being thrust into a game of fate with 11 other strangers (well, mostly strangers). But she does have a potential romance with another female character that's important to the plot, and the game's most bad-ass character (Odette) is also openly bi. Odette might have the only dodgy character design out of the cast, but given her character and the kind of personality she is, she owns it and it doesn't feel out of place on her.

At this time in the game, my biggest criticism involves Rinka's romantic interest (Miharu) and how much of her plot and her motivations are influenced by Rinka. Like, if it was a het pairing, it would have probably annoyed me a lot more. But I guess the novelty of it happening between a same-sex pairing made it more bearable, and Miharu still has some cool moments. Also, the typical obnoxious anime tropes and gags are extremely minimal. There are a handful, but I'm pretty sensitive to that bullshit and none of it got under my skin.

Let me know if you check it out!

P.S: This isn't an otome game in the slightest, so bare that in mind.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Well the cover of RE3 leaked and people, including some here, are complaining that Jill looks boring and she's ruined.

I wonder why? 🤔

icon0.png

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Another shot of R3make Jill's face.

EK3kEJlXkAAx44d.png

I think she looks quite nice, and the hairstyle is basically like the original.

Her top was definitely changed, and she doesn't seem to have the jacket wrapped around her.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Outside of a bikini, I can't think of a more impractical outfit to survive a zombie apocalypse than a tube top and miniskirt. Like, Jill would be falling out of her outfit every 10 minutes, struggling to swing her legs over fences, running awkwardly away from Nemesis... the RE3 design was always dumb.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the cover of RE3 leaked and people, including some here, are complaining that Jill looks boring and she's ruined.

I wonder why? 🤔

icon0.png

Woah, look at that dude's hair. It's like some hair helmet. As for Jill, recent iterations were based on an actual person but this new iteration seems to be original so maybe it's hard for some people to accept.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Jill's outfit is one of the few impractical/needessly revealing outfit I will defend, just search for my posts here for my reasoning.

That said, I fully expected them to change it for r3make and the one we got, at the least the top half, is very much in line with what I was expecting. I just want to see her in her full glory asap.

Last edited:

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Buckle in for this one...This one takes the cake for "reasons we designed her"

"We need a dumb stupid, idiot. A real incompetent pilot"

EK_d_6SU4AAyDXv

EK_d_6TUUAA_tRl

"What about FOUR boobs?"

EK_d_6TVAAESDnM

"THUS A NEW FETISH WAS BORN!"

EK_d_6TUEAA7XqL

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Outside of a bikini, I can't think of a more impractical outfit to survive a zombie apocalypse than a tube top and miniskirt. Like, Jill would be falling out of her outfit every 10 minutes, struggling to swing her legs over fences, running awkwardly away from Nemesis... the RE3 design was always dumb.

I mean you're right it's bad for zombie apocalypse*, but otherwise I thought it was on-trend for the 90s.

*but again we're talking 90s game/character design

People really don't like Jill's Design...s?

I like them both.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
What's the problem with modern Tomb Raider? (assuming you mean the latest trilogy)
It's not so much of a
Buckle in for this one...This one takes the cake for "reasons we designed her"

"We need a dumb stupid, idiot. A real incompetent pilot"

EK_d_6SU4AAyDXv

EK_d_6TUUAA_tRl

"What about FOUR boobs?"

EK_d_6TVAAESDnM

"THUS A NEW FETISH WAS BORN!"

EK_d_6TUEAA7XqL
Fucking Inti Creates. I just bought BMZ2 last night, didn't know they added this kind of shit. The first game was fine.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was incredibly disheartening to see basic sexist behavior being exhibited by people who very definitely claim to know better in many other situations.

It seems like people want to not consider adult film stars as real people and as such they feel free to engage in total sexist behaviors. It's disgusting.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019

Welp, otome is pretty much that definition the MC will end with an LI. The amount of romance varies b/t games so it goes. Although I have heard of otome w/female LI it's like 1/20 games.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
It seems like people want to not consider adult film stars as real people and as such they feel free to engage in total sexist behaviors. It's disgusting.

It's exactly what it is. Objectifying and dehumanizing a human being because said human being was (or is) a sex worker. It reeks of so much misogyny, I'm baffled people engaged in such behavior repeatedly, and were still not seeing the problem when rightfully being called out about it. Basic feminism 101 lessons are flying way over their heads.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's exactly what it is. Objectifying and dehumanizing a human being because said human being was (or is) a sex worker. It reeks of so much misogyny, I'm baffled people engaged in such behavior repeatedly, and were still not seeing the problem when rightfully being called out about it. Basic feminism 101 lessons are flying way over their heads.

Yeah it was straight up awful.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well that Former Adult Film Star plays a video game thread went exactly as I thought it did...

It was really bad. Topics like that show how bad gaming side can be, and in general, this site. I know mods do the bet they can, and I appreciate their effort, but it is really hard to deal with the daily sexism, racism, classicism and more you deal with people that "just want to talk about games without taking into account the damage they might do with their views."

Status
Not open for further replies.