• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I loved 2B despite the sexualization. She's a cyborg. They don't have genitalia! I also remember there being uproar about 2B having a butthole. This was all unnecessary and detracted from a great game (and great characters).

Anyway the plot and setting for Nier is one of the best. The combat is fun and the OST was amazing.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Unless you're personally defining having plastic surgery as a moral fault, I'm not sure how it would be insulting to imply as such. Of course, this isn't always the case, there always are exceptions, and bodies are shaped in various ways. But the general consensus is that insanely big breasts paired with stick-thin arms like those that were displayed on that character from that Atelier game, are very rarely something natural. I do not mind plastic surgery one bit and will defend anyone's right to resort to it, as I believe the stigma that our society has attached to it is incredibly harmful and toxic. But when it comes down to character design, it gets exhausting to have female bodies represented in a very narrow way only, pushing absolutely unrealistic proportions to them as if that was what the median-looking women remotely looks like. We all know why they do that: sexualizing a character to the max while also eliminating any doubt of them ever "looking fat" as well.

Well there's nothing wrong with having it done I guess but it's not nice to say people have done it when they haven't and it doesn't even make any sense why they would. We can agree that Ryza is clearly super exaggerated though to appeal to a male audience which is too bad to see.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
you dont see how people say she's sexy, really?

really?

the goth+french maid+samurai combo is pretty easy to see how many would find sexy, especially videogame / anime fans. You can feel however about her design but to go "SHE AINT EVEN SEXY" is bizarre.

She's basically Babydoll from Sucker Punch (and equally problematic)

I honestly agree with that user. I don't find the maid concept sexy, and the goth concept even less (sorry). I just.. don't get how is appealing? The only thing I can see her appealing to me personally (oviously others might find the character sexy or interesting) is her hair colour, since you know, white colour hair = UR POWERFUL.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I honestly agree with that user. I don't find the maid concept sexy, and the goth concept even less (sorry). I just.. don't get how is appealing? The only thing I can see her appealing to me personally (oviously others might find the character sexy or interesting) is her hair colour, since you know, white colour hair = UR POWERFUL.
We're not, or at least shouldn't be, talking about whether individual posters find 2B sexy. We're talking about the fact that she's designed to be a fetish doll, and why that is a problem. The point was not, "You don't find that sexy??" but rather, "You don't see how that is meant to evoke fetishes common in Japanese media?"

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
We're not, or at least shouldn't be, talking about whether individual posters find 2B sexy. We're talking about the fact that she's designed to be a fetish doll, and why that is a problem. The point was not, "You don't find that sexy??" but rather, "You don't see how that is meant to evoke fetishes common in Japanese media?"

Maybe I read the post.. wrong? But they are talking about.. sexiness?

I agree that I can see how it is meant to evoke those fetishes that are common in JPN media, as you say. I just don't think that just because that "fetish evoking" means that a character is outright sexy or not. In fact it is that what completely throws me off from both the character and the game. That's why I said that I don't find the character sexy, and while I obviously see the blatant sexualization of the character, I just don't get the appeal of it.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

I didn't think she was supposed to be sexy at all so it made it more creepy when I found out so many people fetishise her and it makes me think why couldn't they have just designed her a different way then.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Also, sorry to quote you again but...

Regarding Aurora and Karen, they were totally a thing right? Might have been the English dub but they seemed to imply it heavily.

So if they weren't a thing I'd be surprised. Especially after viewing Aurora's memories. Like Karen's well being was always on her mind.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So if they weren't a thing I'd be surprised. Especially after viewing Aurora's memories. Like Karen's well being was always on her mind.

Okay so I wasn't the only one thinking that. Yeah, like a lot of her decisions were for Karen's well being over everyone else's (not to say she didn't care for anyone else but Karen seemed to be her numero uno). Wish this was more obvious then having to infer. But sadly I feel like with a lot of games like this the name of the game is subtext.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I was watching The Ancient Magus' Bride on Netflix with my SO, and even though the premise is at best sketchy (slavery, yo) we were kind of enjoying its relaxed pace and beautiful locales... then it pulls this shit on us (1:10 if the timestamp doesn't work):

Yeah, no. Dropped the series right there; doesn't help that the series doesn't seem to be going anywhere interesting anyway.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

this. It's like saying "I dont get people saying the dragon's crown sorceress is sexy, nobody has boobs that big" it doesnt matetr that you in particular doesnt find her sexy, her design was clearly made so shes "sexy" with the huge boobs, the tight dress with the slit down the leg etc, strut etc.

"i dont think 2B is designed to be sexy" about a character with a dress that shows her panties everytime you do a flip is nonsense.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
you dont see how people say she's sexy, really?

really?

the goth+french maid+samurai combo is pretty easy to see how many would find sexy, especially videogame / anime fans. You can feel however about her design but to go "SHE AINT EVEN SEXY" is bizarre.

She's basically Babydoll from Sucker Punch (and equally problematic)

I mean it's pretty easy to find easy and common fetishization to be not sexy as it's usually a gross knee jerk by people trying to make appealing characters.

She's INTENDED to be sexy, but it's gonna be hard to land that one when the full extent on what makes her sexy is both 1.) 100% physical and 2.) just common fetishes. It's like someone picked up a JAV magazine, flipped to a random page, pointed at 3 random pictures and combined the designs of all 3.

Because you're right, it's just french maid + gravure + samurai. You can add wedding dress there too. That's not gonna work for everyone.

I was watching The Ancient Magus' Bride on Netflix with my SO, and even though the premise is at best sketchy (slavery, yo) we were kind of enjoying its relaxed pace and beautiful locales... then it pulls this shit on us (1:10 if the timestamp doesn't work):

Yeah, no. Dropped the series right there; doesn't help that the series doesn't seem to be going anywhere interesting anyway.

Titania was always a really weird thing in that book.

I like Magus Bride a lot, and where the story has gone has actually been interesting,
the concept of a monster confusing what the concept of marriage is in the first place and then acting on it in the most hamfisted way possible is more interesting than it should be
but there is an awful lot of adult/teenage pairings going on.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

Man, what the hell is up with so many people making stories where a main character engages in slavery, but it's okay because he's nice?

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
The saddest part is that it was arguably positive representation relative to most of the rest of gaming.

Caring about this hobby and its history is really depressing sometimes
Honestly, I really admire posters here that are willing to keep getting upset and pushing for better designs and representation. I've found myself merely playing less games even though I really enjoy them. Feels like I'm growing up but the games I enjoy aren't growing up with me.

I was still quite surprised Lost Legacy was as good as it was. Nobody was clamoring for a female led Uncharted, but after Lost Legacy there's a percentage of the fanbase that actually wants this, me included. They proved Chloe can lead a game and legit made Nadine likable. I find that duo more capable than Nate and Sully.
Lost Legacy is far more fun than it should be. Chloe and Nadine are great characters with, in my opinion, good designs and I really look forward to their future endeavors.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

www.resetera.com

Feminist Discussion of Anime and Manga |OT| Not your waifu OT

This is largely going to be a thread where people can discuss feminist theory of anime and manga as well as recommend ones that you believe show positive feminism. First let's briefly go over feminist theory. What is Feminist Theory? Feminist theory covers a broad range of topics, but for this...

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Man, what the hell is up with so many people making stories where a main character engages in slavery, but it's okay because he's nice?

Ultimate sexual power fantasy, I guess. Female characters that feel so worthless about themselves they throw themselves (often literally) into the arms of any male that treats them slightly better than dirt.

It also seems to come with the territory that the female character is the epitome of bland and featureless, and this was no exception. Chise is not so much a character as she's the player camera, with zero apparent volition other than the token reaction to events around her.

www.resetera.com

Feminist Discussion of Anime and Manga |OT| Not your waifu OT

This is largely going to be a thread where people can discuss feminist theory of anime and manga as well as recommend ones that you believe show positive feminism. First let's briefly go over feminist theory. What is Feminist Theory? Feminist theory covers a broad range of topics, but for this...

Fair enough, this is about games and if we talk about anime it will never end. Carry on. :D

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Honestly, I really admire posters here that are willing to keep getting upset and pushing for better designs and representation. I've found myself merely playing less games even though I really enjoy them. Feels like I'm growing up but the games I enjoy aren't growing up with me.

I don't like to talk about playing video games out in the open but sometimes old habits die hard. I'm playing FE3H from a friend's recc'd game and I'm like for every cool moment I feel like there's going to be 3-5 negative moments due to how certain female characters are dressed. Also the idea of the "Beauty and the Beast" for Byleth and Dimi due to the BL route.

I do like Dimi but a huge aspect that I started backing away is that the idea of Emotional Labor that MC will be engaging to help him cope in the middle of war where there's a constant tragedy. What if she can't save him and herself?

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
DOA continues its proud tradition of sexing up all women all the time.

05_doa02.jpg

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, people. I just want to quickly announce my permanent withdrawal from this thread going forward. In the past, I've mentioned that I would like this to become a space where women openly discuss among themselves again. I believe that male involvement, and that includes my own, runs contrary to that wish. So to that end, I've reduced my contributions to the thread as of late, but have come to realize that still isn't enough. So I will dip out here in hope that the scales are tipped at least a little that way.

Since the following would be a good thing as well, I will try to be more vocal in threads revolving around issues we discuss here, but that are commonly dominated by a majority of male users. This thread was a bit of a comfort zone aligning with my own beliefs, but I know I need to be more assertive about them in an open space.

I've learned a lot from this thread and its people, and I deeply respect everyone putting up with constant harassment, ridicule and blowback from men that have long since forgotten what real women even look like. And for any incel loser reading this post, know my own love life has been infinitely improved by looking at women as people, not objects. It's great, try it.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
That's a shame and I'm sorry to see you go. Men are welcome to participate, just so long as they don't talk over women, and I don't think you were ever doing that. But, you do you.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, people. I just want to quickly announce my permanent withdrawal from this thread going forward. In the past, I've mentioned that I would like this to become a space where women openly discuss among themselves again. I believe that male involvement, and that includes my own, runs contrary to that wish. So to that end, I've reduced my contributions to the thread as of late, but have come to realize that still isn't enough. So I will dip out here in hope that the scales are tipped at least a little that way.

Since the following would be a good thing as well, I will try to be more vocal in threads revolving around issues we discuss here, but that are commonly dominated by a majority of male users. This thread was a bit of a comfort zone aligning with my own beliefs, but I know I need to be more assertive about them in an open space.

I've learned a lot from this thread and its people, and I deeply respect everyone putting up with constant harassment, ridicule and blowback from men that have long since forgotten what real women even look like. And for any incel loser reading this post, know my own love life has been infinitely improved by looking at women as people, not objects. It's great, try it.
I agree with Morrigan. You've always been cool.

Babymomo

Aug 14, 2019

Don't leave, the women of this thread are fine with the non women contributing a huge part, its just that it'd be great if they didn't speak over us is all. Truly don't want to see anyone leave this thread :(

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Been browsing Witcher 3 mods and suddenly want to know what everyone's opinions are re: nudity mods, and their seemingly insane popularity for some games.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I could see nudity mods working with the witcher 3's tone for the naughty times, but even then the mods just add cheap titillation for the player as it's framed as such and/or do additional edits to models for "sexyness."

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
But many characters appear nude already. Why is there a need for nude mods?

For Witcher, and most other games, it's so they're nude all the time. I try to be sex positive, but I guess there's a puritan part of me that doesn't understand why you want Yennefer or Ciri to be naked every time they're on screen.

It's easier for me to understand mods like the ones that remove the mosaic censoring in The Sims than it is the "you shall never wear clothes around me" mods.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Been browsing Witcher 3 mods and suddenly want to know what everyone's opinions are re: nudity mods, and their seemingly insane popularity for some games.
They are erotic fan work much like erotic fan art. Not much to have an opinion on. Now if mod curators/promotores like Steam/Bethesda/etc actively promote them, then I'll have a strong opinion.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Oh ok I thought it was during the sex scenes that the mod would work. Seeing nude Yen or Triss all the time would take me out of the whole experience.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's similar with the fallout 4 mods. Can't filter out the obvious titty bait mods because that'll wholesale hide actual good mods under the same tags.
No, not really. Most nude mods are only related to body mods. Clothing mods who rely on nude mods will state that you need to install them, but you'll still be able to view the clothing/outfit mods.

The best mods won't be filtered out if you exclude nudity from the search. I've been modding Fallout 4 mods since it's released and have installed hundreds of GBs of mods.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I've also taken a big step back from this thread for the same reason. While it's been nice to read and sometimes give my opinions, It really doesn't seem the space for me to criticize these kinds of things. IMO, it makes more sense for me to speak up in threads specific to the subject at hand rather than here.

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that Ancient Magus Bride was written by a woman and the female lead was supposed to be a Bella Swan-style self-insert character rather than waifu bait in the normal sense.

That doesn't at all invalidate any of the criticisms of the show (slavery, teens dating adults, women can be sexist, etc.), but it would appear to be a female fantasy rather than a male one.

Oct 25, 2017
I could see nudity mods working with the witcher 3's tone for the naughty times, but even then the mods just add cheap titillation for the player as it's framed as such and/or do additional edits to models for "sexyness."
My stance with nude mods is pretty much the same with all games when I started seeing all of the sexualization mods for Claire in RE2 Remake, which is that they add nothing. The way they just cheapened Claire and reduced her to a set of T&A was degrading, insulting and added nothing to the game and character.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I was under the impression that Ancient Magus Bride was written by a woman and the female lead was supposed to be a Bella Swan-style self-insert character rather than waifu bait in the normal sense.

That doesn't at all invalidate any of the criticisms of the show (slavery, teens dating adults, women can be sexist, etc.), but it would appear to be a female fantasy rather than a male one.

I read AMB and the story is less creepy after a few vol. It's mostly a depressed MC finding her own purpose in with fairies. Not to say that their relationships are totally OK in some ways.

EGRnkCzUwAA8tQV

In a faraway land I thought there'd be other clothing options later for female PC but reasons I made a male MC again.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I read AMB and the story is less creepy after a few vol. It's mostly a depressed MC finding her own purpose in with fairies. Not to say that their relationships are totally OK in some ways.

EGRnkCzUwAA8tQV

In a faraway land I thought there'd be other clothing options later for female PC but reasons I made a male MC again.

What game is this?

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017

EGRnkCzUwAA8tQV

Yeah the stuff that they make a majority of the female characters wear is cringe worthy. Not to mention if it's a female boss, they all have huge ass breasts.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Code Vein.
Yeah the stuff that they make a majority of the female characters wear is cringe worthy. Not to mention if it's a female boss, they all have huge ass breasts.

Everything else about the game screams, "BUY ME NOW AND ENJOY ME!" Shame the sexualized designs are actively keeping me away. Going back to the most recent big conversation, this is a game worth asking if the women needed to be designed that way and would it still be as fun and selling so well if they were less-sexually designed.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Everything else about the game screams, "BUY ME NOW AND ENJOY ME!" Shame the sexualized designs are actively keeping me away. Going back to the most recent big conversation, this is a game worth asking if the women needed to be designed that way and would it still be as fun and selling so well if they were less-sexually designed.
Code Vein's first week in Japan was less than half of what God Eater 3's was, which was developed by the same team within Namco Bandai:

02./00. [PS4] Code Vein # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.09.26} (¥8.200) - 60.843 / NEW <60-80%>

02./00. [PS4] God Eater 3 # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.12.13} (¥8.200) - 150.523 / NEW

Looks like the market was not as interested in anime Dark Souls.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Code Vein's first week in Japan was less than half of what God Eater 3's was, which was developed by the same team within Namco Bandai:

02./00. [PS4] Code Vein # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.09.26} (¥8.200) - 60.843 / NEW <60-80%>

02./00. [PS4] God Eater 3 # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.12.13} (¥8.200) - 150.523 / NEW

There will be enough guys on your case telling you it's within expectation or revenue will be generated in other ways. But when a game sells a ton and happens to have fan service, they will shout out of the rooftops how it sold better because of it.

Speaking of...my curiosity got the better of me and I ended up watching some footage of the new atelier game. I can see why it sold so well. It looks really charming and fun to play. It seems to be improved In many ways.

It's unfortunate how this game is also hailed as more successful because of the fan service mostly.

Also, something that bugs me about character design discussions. B2 and the new atelier game might have gotten attention because of the main characters, but why is it assumed only because they're sexed up? B2 looks really cool. I love her design having a sense of elegance, feminine traits and yet still showing lots of strength. The ass shots or low cut skirt is the only flaw despite the rest being so good. The new atelier character looks so expressive and cute. Her walking animation is pretty impressive. It is only very unfortunate how the focus lies on the ass and other design choices thanks to the developer's rather obvious priority.

Design preferences is more than fan service. But I'm afraid all preferences will be grouped as such. I think characters like B2 resonated so much because it's not overly fan servicy when an outsider doesn't look too much into it or it's easier to want ignore that part about her.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding sales, it looks like it did alright for a new ip. Will have to see if word of mouth can help as it really is fun.
yikes like so far only 1 review mentioned the creepy designs and I'm already 🤔
I'll say this, I'm enjoying this game loads....however some of the designs are questionable. Like how did they let it happen?

I want a sequel, but preferably with better female designs.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty mild for DoA tbh
I think there's a good discussion point about rampant sameface however
With the exception of Nico, who didn't debut until 6, those outfits are recycles of ones Team Ninja sold years ago in 5:LR anyway rather than anything new (though Nico's is still a copy/paste of Marie's in a different color).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

The game is still among the top 10 sellers on steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.