• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
2B has more going for her than just sex appeal. Her general appearance, while somewhat maid-fetish-y and the panty-showing skirt-flap is dumb, still has some coolness & uniqueness factor that I'd say also contributes to her popularity. If anything, I'd say she's a pretty cool/attractive character design (even if nonsensical) DESPITE the silly sexualization aspect, not because of it.

I think the success is a combination of a few things like not just 2B's appearance but the general aesthetic (while it can look a bit drab, the game has its moments), the combat itself is smooth and exciting to most even if it doesn't satisfy hardcore DMC/Bayonetta/character action game fans, it had closer to a decade of cult hit hype building behind it after the first Nier, Platinum DOES have a sizable though not massive following, and it got a lot of great scores prior to release & mostly praising word of mouth hype after release. I don't think "sex sells" is even close to enough to explain why it became the hit that it was. It's just one of those things where all the stars and planets and winds aligned to create the perfect storm for success. 2B's (not just sex) appeal was a small though not insignificant part of that.

Babymomo

Aug 14, 2019
Screenshot_20191001-022942.jpg

I hate her face so fucking much, i legitmately don't understand what people find so appealing when it comes to anime faces like that, they all at some point start blending in together and i truly cant tell them apart. They really thought that little beauty mark was gonna be it huh? It's always and i mean ALWAYS that horrendous anime face, they never fucking give it some character, and the hair is honestly even worse, how does that shit match with the face and eyes? Oh and the fucking eyes, they're so goddamn hollow, it has no fucking creative spark. I just don't understand why both malefans and artist go batshit crazy for them.

Oct 25, 2017
I hate her face so fucking much, i legitmately don't understand what people find so appealing when it comes to anime faces like that, they all at some point start blending in together and i truly cant tell them apart. They really thought that little beauty mark was gonna be it huh? It's always and i mean ALWAYS that horrendous anime face, they never fucking give it some character, and the hair is honestly even worse, how does that shit match with the face and eyes? Oh and the fucking eyes, they're so goddamn hollow, it has no fucking creative spark. I just don't understand why both malefans and artist go batshit crazy for them.
They have no taste and clearly didn't grow up watching Macross and Zeta Gundam. Two shows that know how to actually design female characters. Shit even Rahxephon knows how to design attractive women. This otaku trash bait stuff that's popular is
DZTXhmC.gif

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
And the cherry on top of that it's a twisted boob and butt pose.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
They have no taste and clearly didn't grow up watching Macross and Zeta Gundam. Two shows that know how to actually design female characters. Shit even Rahxephon knows how to design attractive women. This otaku trash bait stuff that's popular is
DZTXhmC.gif

Yoshikazu Yasuhiko is a great character designer. His Zeta character designs are probably my favorite of anything he's done.

(How does this topic keep coming back to Gundam...)

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I think every era of anime style art has some degree of homogenization and trends. Designs being reliably animatable (if the character designer and animation director are working together) is very important and has a big effect on trends. Of course, now we live in a day and age when video games can have character designs that follow or establish very different trends aside from anime and manga. (This post is a jumbled mess that I'll fix later but hope my points are getting across.)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Well, she is 3 star (common and weak) character who isn't popular, so it's not like she has many fans in the first place. Still, yes, generic faces without many details are considered attractive by default, which is why they're used so much. It's not like they're used only for women either, the men who are meant to be attractive mostly have similar faces. Even the protagonist for example is a boy and has a single small line for his nose.

latest

The eyes in the case of that girl (Cibella) are meant to give a cold lifeless impression though, since she's mainly driven by revenge. The eyes and hair style, especially the front bangs, are what often is used to actually give some identity to each character when the art style is too simple, which is why when characters change hair style they still keep the same bangs.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Three Houses is the best selling Fire Emblem game and the waifu/husbando mechanics are almost non existant (At least until the DLC releases). There is like only one sexualized character in the game which also appears for like 2-3 chapters.

TH is definitely more tame than Awakening but there's still plenty of weird design choices, especially compared to older FE titles.

It's got that really weird tea mini game too. And it has more than one blatantly sexualized character design. The notable one just being the person the game focuses on in the opening.

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshikazu Yasuhiko is a great character designer. His Zeta character designs are probably my favorite of anything he's done.

(How does this topic keep coming back to Gundam...)
I actually think despite a couple of meme tier characters like Reccoa and Quess Gundam's actually pretty decent regarding women representation. They really need to do a female protagonist pilot, but that's my only real complaint with it.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TH is definitely more tame than Awakening but there's still plenty of weird design choices, especially compared to older FE titles.

It's got that really weird tea mini game too. And it has more than one blatantly sexualized character design. The notable one just being the person the game focuses on in the opening.

To be fair, I'll take tea over the face petting minigame. At least I'm actually doing things a normal human being would do...until the zoom in feature which I imagine Byleth is just uncomfortably creeping on whoever is at the other end.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Well, she is 3 star (common and weak) character who isn't popular, so it's not like she has many fans in the first place. Still, yes, generic faces without many details are considered attractive by default, which is why they're used so much. It's not like they're used only for women either, the men who are meant to be attractive mostly have similar faces. Even the protagonist for example is a boy and has a single small line for his nose.

latest

The eyes in the case of that girl (Cibella) are meant to give a cold lifeless impression though, since she's mainly driven by revenge. The eyes and hair style, especially the front bangs, are what often is used to actually give some identity to each character when the art style is too simple, which is why when characters change hair style they still keep the same bangs.
Also not that it "helps" per se but designing gacha characters in general sounds like a nightmarish hellscape of demand on you as an artist. I know if someone kept asking me to come up with 3-4 new character designs a month I'd start dipping into some repetitive designs and stuff too, personally.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Also not that it "helps" per se but designing gacha characters in general sounds like a nightmarish hellscape of demand on you as an artist. I know if someone kept asking me to come up with 3-4 new character designs a month I'd start dipping into some repetitive designs and stuff too, personally.
Hey, if Fumi Ishikawa could do it...

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Every time I revisit this thread there's like an 80% chance it's revolving around 2B.

I find it frustrating that people are so dismissive of her design, but I also find it frustrating to see people defend some of the shamelessness of her design.

I 100% don't think Nier's success is based on 2B's design. The original Nier was highly praised for everything, but combat, and Automata was going to have Platinum working on the combat. I think most people that bought it on Day 1 were gonna buy it from that news alone and it spread via word of mouth. The story was ridiculously amazing (to some of us, I legit think about it on a weekly basis.) It's easily a top 5 game of all time to me because of the soundtrack, story and how fun the world is to move around in.

Part of me actually thinks the game's strongest "haters," sorry can't think of a better term right now, stems of how offputting her design is. I think more people/content creators would have praised the game if it wasn't so anime. So if anything her design hurt sales.

As a straight male that loved her design, I get all the reasons to dislike it, but when I see the flow of movement, the sound of heels hitting the pavement, the way the dash controls, OMG, I love the dash, it's like the embodiment of grace. Now if that sounds silly AF to you. Totally fair, but that's what I got from it and I feel like that's what they were going for.

It was honestly hard to play Breath of the Wild after Automata because the movement was so lame compared. Maybe it's because I'm a Melee player, but honestly if I play a 2D or 3D platformer that doesn't have a super satisfying ground dash, wave dash, or air dash or attack cancels it can feel like a snore-fest.

Not saying anyone in this thread is wrong, but there are a variety of factors as to why people may like a game/character.

My opinion doesn't really matter in a thread like this, but I love jumping in here to get a different perspective on different characters, I feel like 2B's been covered.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's

10% Individual Characters
20% Anime
15% Western Games
5% Trolls
50% Japanese Games
and 100% reason to remember the name

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Every time I revisit this thread there's like an 80% chance it's revolving around 2B.

I find it frustrating that people are so dismissive of her design, but I also find it frustrating to see people defend some of the shamelessness of her design.

I 100% don't think Nier's success is based on 2B's design. The original Nier was highly praised for everything, but combat, and Automata was going to have Platinum working on the combat. I think most people that bought it on Day 1 were gonna buy it from that news alone and it spread via word of mouth. The story was ridiculously amazing (to some of us, I legit think about it on a weekly basis.) It's easily a top 5 game of all time to me because of the soundtrack, story and how fun the world is to move around in.

Part of me actually thinks the game's strongest "haters," sorry can't think of a better term right now, stems of how offputting her design is. I think more people/content creators would have praised the game if it wasn't so anime. So if anything her design hurt sales.

As a straight male that loved her design, I get all the reasons to dislike it, but when I see the flow of movement, the sound of heels hitting the pavement, the way the dash controls, OMG, I love the dash, it's like the embodiment of grace. Now if that sounds silly AF to you. Totally fair, but that's what I got from it and I feel like that's what they were going for.

It was honestly hard to play Breath of the Wild after Automata because the movement was so lame compared. Maybe it's because I'm a Melee player, but honestly if I play a 2D or 3D platformer that doesn't have a super satisfying ground dash, wave dash, or air dash or attack cancels it can feel like a snore-fest.

Not saying anyone in this thread is wrong, but there are a variety of factors as to why people may like a game/character.

My opinion doesn't really matter in a thread like this, but I love jumping in here to get a different perspective on different characters, I feel like 2B's been covered.
I've got mixed feelings about her design... it's really elegant but totally a fetish, a net improvement from kaine who was just the fetish part, but it's still distracting... i think id feel much better about it without the blowing up the skirt part, the white panties and the fact that her skirt is ripped right in the front during most of ending B cutscene :/

Now, i really dont think the game's biggest critics come from her design, they come from the fact that you gotta play the game 3 times to finish it and people got no time for that shit. You can hate 2B's design and still like Nier and i do think a lot of people fit that box o-x

You're a straight male so really no wonder it resonates so much with you, and you should keep that in mind: this dress was tailored for you to enjoy, if you understand why this is kinda messed up when put in context then you're in the right path to getting the issue xP. Sometimes a design done for males resonates with a female audience as well, that doesn't mean the outfit isn't harmless but i believe gettin why does it happen is key to pin point the goods and bads about it and improve on future designs

Last edited:

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest

The animations, sound effects, feel of movement and combat do not require the character to be sexualised at all. Sexualisation doesn't enhance this in any way unless you want jiggle butt physics. Animations, movement, feel of combat etc are also not really what this thread is about when talking/criticising about 2B or most other characters for that matter. Enjoying a game despite character designs we dislike and criticise is the

Here are a couple of sunhilegend gifs.
84HXo7E.gif

9pGx5CQ.gif

Criticising characters in regards to sexualised designs doesn't necessarily mean we dislike the game or the even the character. It is fine to like 2B. It is fine to like sexualised designs. But maybe refrain from defending the criticism on the designs using other merits of the game or characters. I'd imagine this is far more common and frustrating than the frustration you feel when you see a character you like get criticised.

I personally think 2B is a fantastic example for this thread. There are parts of her design that I really like, the game I also really enjoyed and her characterization is enjoyable too. This is something I'm working on I guess. To see that things I like do not need to be flawless and I can like things even if there are parts I dislike. The sexualisation of 2B is so blatant and unnecessary that it is an easy example of liking a character and game despite its shortcomings. It easy to get caught up with my own bias and want to defend the game needlessly.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

I just don't get 2B's design. I don't know why she has to look like that or why people even think that it's sexy. I didn't even know until after I played the game that people thought she was sexy. I definitely don't think the game did good because of her, but maybe I'm wrong.

She has the arms of a very thin girl who wouldn't weight more than 48kg. Chubby, she certainly ain't.
If her arms weren't so stick-thin, a fair argument could maybe be made about her being chubby. But as they look right now, this just makes her look disproportionate as hell. Even erotica models/actresses with big boobs don't have stick-thin arms, unless their boobs are mostly the result of plastic surgery. Arms are one of the most reliable visual giveaway of someone's actual body fat percentage.

Sorry to bring this up again but please don't say that skinny with boobs must mean plastic surgery, that really sucks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't ask me to think seriously about high minded philosophies while also emphasizing anime girl booty on the screen. It sorta gives away the sense that the whole thing (including the philosophical aspects) are nothing but empty wank material.

Also, for all the fancy dazzling animations... they forgot to animate faces. lol

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I, too, wished 2B would wear pants.

Sometimes I really wanted to recc'd the game to other players but there's always explaining that I don't support her design and why they should totally play it anyways.

Likewise, I'm still sad over F!Byleth's tummy shirt and how awk it looks in the time skip world. I'm like there's a 5% chance there's a decent outfit in the 3rd DLC but so it goes. The individual job costumes were OK.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Can't ask me to think seriously about high minded philosophies while also emphasizing anime girl booty on the screen.
This is more or less my thoughts on near automation, I'm trying to play a deep ass game here while it wants to shove 2B upskirt on my screen. The game does deal with sexualization, but I don't think low camera angles when I'm trying to fight robots in a open world help with that whole premise

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Mostly it's like I rather have a poorly designed female character than yet another male character :(

If it looks esp terrible I find that I just default to male and pretend that's me. Yes.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Mostly it's like I rather have a poorly designed female character than yet another male character :(

If it looks esp terrible I find that I just default to male and pretend that's me. Yes.
Yeah, I mean the second part is easy, been doing it for years. But when there's a choice between male and female and the female is designed with some sexy outfit, that's less appealing then playing the guy.

At least it's a option. Small steps, I suppose.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
2B never bothered me all that much once I actually played the game, aside from the bits of fanservice. It did turn me off the game prior to playing. 2B is definitely a big improvement over Kaine, which Yoko Taro doesn't get enough flak for. Especially since Kaine is intersex and that itself wasn't handled well. :|

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
2B never bothered me all that much once I actually played the game, aside from the bits of fanservice. It did turn me off the game prior to playing. 2B is definitely a big improvement over Kaine, which Yoko Taro doesn't get enough flak for. Especially since Kaine is intersex and that itself wasn't handled well. :|
* looks up Kaine *
Wow, glad no one was around me. I couldn't believe 2B was an improvement over a previous design but...yikes.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the lead up to and around Automata's release, 2B's ass was practically the only thing anyone could talk about. Every Automata thread was full of ass gifs and gross comments about 2B. Yoko Taro made it worse by fanning the flames with that dumb porn folder tweet.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Here are a couple of sunhilegend gifs.
84HXo7E.gif

9pGx5CQ.gif

100% in agreement. I think both those gifts show what I love about the animations and style of the characters in the game. I think people downplay the "deepness" of the title because of 2Bs design and aren't always willing to give the game a fair shake.

Which I think is 100% fair, it's a shame that they couldn't design 2B to appeal to everyone. I just wouldn't want anyone to think that people bought it because of 2B lol. Like maybe 2-10% of its audience. I imagine the majority was word of mouth of how great it was.

Few games feel like masterpieces in a way that Nier Automata does. (to me personally at least, despite quite a few flaws) It feels like one person's vision similarly to something like the original Bioshock or No More Heroes.

I definitely don't think 2B is above criticism, I just feel like 80% of the thread shouldn't be about her. haha

Can't ask me to think seriously about high minded philosophies while also emphasizing anime girl booty on the screen. It sorta gives away the sense that the whole thing (including the philosophical aspects) are nothing but empty wank material.

Also, for all the fancy dazzling animations... they forgot to animate faces. lol

If the face animations are as bad as you claim, I literally never noticed. *shrug emoji*

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
On the flip side of the Nier Automata coin you have Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted Lost Legacy.

In terms of better character design or what sense? As someone that loves fun/fast movement in video games, HZD and Uncharted games literally do nothing for me in this regard. Movement in Automata is honestly next level. Dash is sick, Air Dash is sick and attack cancels are FUEGO.

Seriously though, I just wouldn't compare those titles. It's like Apples to Carrots, one's a fruit and one's a veggie.

Edit: I assume you mean character design, hahaha.

My b! I'm so anxious right now, I literally can't enjoy playing anything right now besides Melee or Rivals of Aether and it's so frustrating. I get like 1 hour into a new game and then I'm back to Melee. I just want to press buttons real fast.

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of better character design or what sense? As someone that loves fun/fast movement in video games, HZD and Uncharted games literally do nothing for me in this regard. Movement in Automata is honestly next level. Dash is sick, Air Dash is sick and attack cancels are FUEGO.

Seriously though, I just wouldn't compare those titles. It's like Apples to Carrots, one's a fruit and one's a veggie.

Edit: I assume you mean character design, hahaha.

My b! I'm so anxious right now, I literally can't enjoy playing anything right now besides Melee or Rivals of Aether and it's so frustrating. I get like 1 hour into a new game and then I'm back to Melee. I just want to press buttons real fast.
Yes character design. Aloy, 2B, Chloe and Nadine are really good characters, but Aloy, Nadine and Chloe aren't really hyper sexualized despite all of them being very attractive. Also Aloy being from a Matriarchal society is actually very interesting when you take into consideration that she was raised by a single dad. I never have any qualms about recommending Lost Legacy and Horizon to people. They're two of my favorite PS4 games...shit the women got a better PS4 game than Nathan did.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I mean, you guys can go google this yourself to see 2B's ass if you somehow didn't notice in game.

Taro also said that NieR: Automata protagonist 2B's design wasn't meant to be very sexy at first, however when he received the original designs he told the 3D modelers to make her butt as perfect as they possibly could, otherwise they'd be fired. So naturally they went above and beyond making a wonderful buttocks.
Edit: Link removed due to bad source.

There was also that controversy about the butthole. I don't know why people would say she was designed without sexualisation and fetishization in high priority. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, that quote. Yoko Taro wouldn't be where he is if wasn't for the talented women writers that have carried him, Sawako Natori (Drakengard series and Nier) and Hana Kikuchi (Nier, Drakengard 3, and Nier Automata). I get the feeling he is very much an ideas guy (storywise) and it's really the other scenario writers that do the heavy lifting. I know Sawako Natori is a novelist and was instrumental, writing a majority of the script for Drakengard.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you guys can go google this yourself to see 2B's ass if you somehow didn't notice in game.

There was also that controversy about the butthole. I don't know why people would say she was designed without sexualisation and fetishization in high priority. 🤷‍♂️
Would you mind removing the link? That's a GG site.

Anyway, I have gotten tired of Yoko Taro being elevated above reproach by being a wacky meme man.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes character design. Aloy, 2B, Chloe and Nadine are really good characters, but Aloy, Nadine and Chloe aren't really hyper sexualized despite all of them being very attractive. Also Aloy being from a Matriarchal society is actually very interesting when you take into consideration that she was raised by a single dad. I never have any qualms about recommending Lost Legacy and Horizon to people. They're two of my favorite PS4 games...shit the women got a better PS4 game than Nathan did.

To be fair, Lost Legacy didn't have the mountains of development troubles UC4 did.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Uncharted 4 was pretty meh but it had good adventure game bits
If it were more of the adventure and far less if not none of the shooting, i would have prob. Liked it more.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't get 2B's design. I don't know why she has to look like that or why people even think that it's sexy. I didn't even know until after I played the game that people thought she was sexy. I definitely don't think the game did good because of her, but maybe I'm wrong.

you dont see how people say she's sexy, really?

really?

the goth+french maid+samurai combo is pretty easy to see how many would find sexy, especially videogame / anime fans. You can feel however about her design but to go "SHE AINT EVEN SEXY" is bizarre.

She's basically Babydoll from Sucker Punch (and equally problematic)

Last edited:

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
* looks up Kaine *
Wow, glad no one was around me. I couldn't believe 2B was an improvement over a previous design but...yikes.

Kaine does have a decent reason why she dresses like that, even though I do not believe that sad excuse of underwear to be anything but shameless pandering. Her butt is constantly being framed within cutscenes, which is especially annoying when it happens during emotional moments.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Sorry to bring this up again but please don't say that skinny with boobs must mean plastic surgery, that really sucks.

Unless you're personally defining having plastic surgery as a moral fault, I'm not sure how it would be insulting to imply as such. Of course, this isn't always the case, there always are exceptions, and bodies are shaped in various ways. But the general consensus is that insanely big breasts paired with stick-thin arms like those that were displayed on that character from that Atelier game, are very rarely something natural. I do not mind plastic surgery one bit and will defend anyone's right to resort to it, as I believe the stigma that our society has attached to it is incredibly harmful and toxic. But when it comes down to character design, it gets exhausting to have female bodies represented in a very narrow way only, pushing absolutely unrealistic proportions to them as if that was what the median-looking women remotely looks like. We all know why they do that: sexualizing a character to the max while also eliminating any doubt of them ever "looking fat" as well.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Lost Legacy didn't have the mountains of development troubles UC4 did.
I was still quite surprised Lost Legacy was as good as it was. Nobody was clamoring for a female led Uncharted, but after Lost Legacy there's a percentage of the fanbase that actually wants this, me included. They proved Chloe can lead a game and legit made Nadine likable. I find that duo more capable than Nate and Sully.

Oct 25, 2017
I was still quite surprised Lost Legacy was as good as it was. Nobody was clamoring for a female led Uncharted, but after Lost Legacy there's a percentage of the fanbase that actually wants this, me included. They proved Chloe can lead a game and legit made Nadine likable. I find that duo more capable than Nate and Sully.

I'm hoping the new studio they have opened up to (presumably) work on Uncharted is going to continue Chloe and Nadine's adventures. Maybe add in Cassie if there's a time skip.

Status
Not open for further replies.