• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone remind me why many mention 2B as a sex-positive icon?? I feel like I'm really missing something despite playing the game
When people like something they feel the need to defend their legitimacy whether it is relevant or not. "Michael Jackson made Thriller, so he's gotta be innocent!" "Kobe scored 60, so he's gotta be innocent!"

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned this in the sex positive thread but it's always noticeable that these fanservive characters are never sexually active. They just pose and contort and jiggle but never have anything about their sex life. Almost as if the developers don't want to show sex so otakus can keep their "pure waifus" in lieu of actually creating well written relationships are something...

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
So, is there any video game equivalent to Dick Grayson, as in a male character that is so defied by his sexual characteristics that its an integral part of his character?

EEv0-2mX4AA2OzX
Leon Kennedy and Wei Shen. Both are not as sexually pleasing to look at as Dick, but they're still very attractive to a lot of people. There's so much smut art of Leon.

Edit: I can't believe believe I forgot Balthier.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019
I mentioned this in the sex positive thread but it's always noticeable that these fanservive characters are never sexually active. They just pose and contort and jiggle but never have anything about their sex life. Almost as if the developers don't want to show sex so otakus can keep their "pure waifus" in lieu of actually creating well written relationships are something...
Every time someone mention something along those lines, I always remember Zero from Drakengard 3 and how her whole deal is being an unrependant female rapist that goes around, killing her sisters to steal their boyfriend to make herself a harem.

Truly, methinks we'll never see another female protagonist like her.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time someone mention something along those lines, I always remember Zero from Drakengard 3 and how her whole deal is being an unrependant female rapist that goes around, killing her sisters to steal their boyfriend to make herself a harem.

Yikes, I mean obviously going in the opposite direction in not ideal either.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

She's not a rapist though.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
I like the character = sex positive character. That's basically it. The bare minimun of a sex positive character is so low for some that basically falls down to shaking ass proudly on screen.
They like the character and the ~deep and important human themes~ of the game
When people like something they feel the need to defend their legitimacy whether it is relevant or not. "Michael Jackson made Thriller, so he's gotta be innocent!" "Kobe scored 60, so he's gotta be innocent!"
ok yup not missing anything then, figured the bar was just extremely (extremely) low

May 13, 2019
Yikes, I mean obviously going in the opposite direction in not ideal either.
I disagree solely for the novelty of having a main protagonist like her. Seriously, were Zero male, nobody would bat an eye to her violent, cruel, foulmouthed and sexual behavior. Zero being a woman makes her stand out of the crowd. She reminds me a lot of Kratos form the original GoW trilogy.

She's not a rapist though.
I cannot deny the connotations are here, like while confronting Decadus after Zero killed Four.

Drakengard-3_5.png

But again, Decadus is a colossal masochist like five levels below I'd start screaming whatever is the save word of turn is. He's definitely bound to enjoy whatever Zero has for him in store.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I like the character = sex positive character. That's basically it. The bare minimun of a sex positive character is so low for some that basically falls down to shaking ass proudly on screen.

I remember way back when, people were saying that about Morrigan from Darkstalkers and I was really confused and just assumed if they were outgoing, sexual characters that they "owned" their sexuality as opposed to some awkward, shy moe girl who constantly blushes or stutters at anything sexual.

I am POSITIVE that this character is SEXy.

Ha! That's a good way to put it!

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Watching the opening video for Indivisible I am still very much looking forward to the game and I really like Ajna's designs but I'm a bit skeptical of the transformation I saw. :\

Anyone else looking forward to this?

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Yeah, I'm into most of what I've seen about that game but the transformation being "scary ogre demon...who is sexy!" is dumb and bad, and goes directly against what is appealing about the character in the first place.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Watching the opening video for Indivisible I am still very much looking forward to the game and I really like Ajna's designs but I'm a bit skeptical of the transformation I saw. :\

The multiple mashup mythology Valkyrie Profile angle of gathering fighting souls was intriguing but the demo featured a ton of platforming that had been my least favorite part of VP. As I understand it, they weren't able to hit their full voice Kickstarter goal which is a bummer. I'm curious though!

... I can abstract the ogre segment as intending to covey power moreso than sex appeal but I get that Trigger animations don't deserve that benefit of the doubt. Personal interpretation.

The Indivisible character designs throughout are delightfully wild and yet more restrained than I expected from the Skullgirls artist. I mean, they were bursting with creativity but also T&A.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I disagree solely for the novelty of having a main protagonist like her. Seriously, were Zero male, nobody would bat an eye to her violent, cruel, foulmouthed and sexual behavior. Zero being a woman makes her stand out of the crowd. She reminds me a lot of Kratos form the original GoW trilogy.

I cannot deny the connotations are here, like while confronting Decadus after Zero killed Four.

Drakengard-3_5.png

But again, Decadus is a colossal masochist like five levels below I'd start screaming whatever is the save word of turn is. He's definitely bound to enjoy whatever Zero has for him in store.

Yeah this is decadus' kink, zero isn't a rapist.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
nice to know the monster hunter armors are made by an in canon chad family
hznhctdkhxn31.jpg

reddit source link (enter at own peril)
Young Smithy: Function is king in my trade, but you can't count out form entirely. |If it's not a LITTLE sexy, I'd be betraying the old man's legacy.
I always button mash away the dialogue on those NPCs and seeing this... yeah I ain't missing out lol

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Does that smithy say that to your character if they're male too? Like, how disingenuous are the writers being here?

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Has an RPG ever tried to actually tackle issues of gender inequality? Like, female characters having to deal with catcalls, constant condescension, higher equipment prices...

I ask because of how often people drone on about The Lore and The World Building in these things, but, in my experience at least, it's always really shallow stuff that falls apart if you so much as scratch the surface. In this example, for instance, how would a blacksmith with such an attitude stay in business unless his society had awful attitudes towards women - and, if that were the case, shouldn't the game display those attitudes outside of costume designs?

(I know, I know: video game writing is inherently juvenile and incapable of dealing with these things, but still...)

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
zero from drakengard 3 isn't a rapist she just *checks notes* enslaves men and has sex with them, including the one who literally looks like a child

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has an RPG ever tried to actually tackle issues of gender inequality? Like, female characters having to deal with catcalls, constant condescension, higher equipment prices...

I ask because of how often people drone on about The Lore and The World Building in these things, but, in my experience at least, it's always really shallow stuff that falls apart if you so much as scratch the surface. In this example, for instance, how would a blacksmith with such an attitude stay in business unless his society had awful attitudes towards women - and, if that were the case, shouldn't the game display those attitudes outside of costume designs?

(I know, I know: video game writing is inherently juvenile and incapable of dealing with these things, but still...)

I think superficially (or at its worse: anime games where they will take at as a source of pride because of course they do). I think I remember some game trying to discuss it but it was an indie game that I can't remember the name of.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Can't really think of many examples.

I do remember a scene in Trails in the Sky (can't remember if it's FC or SC) where some male noble acts incredibly condescending or hostile towards a woman, and gets put back in his place quite sharply by the other women in the cast, who also point out the irony of how he got outsmarted by multiple women or something like that. Can't remember the specifics, though. I remember the character being Queen Alicia's nephew, Dunan, but I can't remember the details of the scene.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia

Can be Yoana from Witcher 3 be seen as one example of that? (and some other examples from the Witcher series)

"Despite being a master armorer, Yoana became Fergus Graem's assistant because many would never believe she, a human female, would be capable of making master armor. Fergus, being a dwarf, was far more likely to be perceived as a master armorer and thus the two struck an agreement for her to be his assistant, but she was the one crafting all the complex pieces.

When the local Nilfgaardian commander came by and ordered a suit of armor that could withstand a shot from a crossbow, Fergus stated it couldn't be done and Yoana, having enough, stated it could actually, with the right tools."
yoana-the-armourer.jpg

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

I do remember a scene in Trails in the Sky (can't remember if it's FC or SC) where some male noble acts incredibly condescending or hostile towards a woman, and gets put back in his place quite sharply by the other women in the cast, who also point out the irony of how he got outsmarted by multiple women or something like that. Can't remember the specifics, though. I remember the character being Queen Alicia's nephew, Dunan, but I can't remember the details of the scene.

there's this scene :

NvZqUqZ.png

Oct 25, 2017

Can't think of any either. But RPGs sure do love to have npcs sexually harass or be condescending towards the main character if you pick the female option. Developers probably think it's some nice power trip since you often can retaliate, but shits annoying. I deal with that enough in the real world.

I would love for a game to actually confront gender inequality beyond flavor text and be able to do something about it. We often get to eliminate fantasy racism. Let me dismantle patriarchal societies too.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

It's FC you're thinking of with that scene.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

Does it have to be an RPG? The only game I can think that answers your question is No One Lives Forever.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

I've been hesitantly curious about the game since the initial Kickstarter campaign. Some of the designs definitely leave something to be desired. *sigh* I wish we could get buff women in games with an anime/cartoon aesthetic that don't have huge, unrealistic tits.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I've been hesitantly curious about the game since the initial Kickstarter campaign. Some of the designs definitely leave something to be desired. *sigh* I wish we could get buff women in games with an anime/cartoon aesthetic that don't have huge, unrealistic tits.

I think that's why I like Amara from Borderlands 3 so much. Because even though she's cartoons they didn't go crazy with the cheesecake.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017

In Fate Grand Order, the female Miyamoto Musashi from another universe where she was openly a woman, wasn't allowed in the Throne of Heroes despite having the same accomplishments as male Miyamoto Musashi from the regular universe because men would refuse to speak the story of her accomplishments.

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know of a fantasy story where most of the issues women deal with in the modern day are negated by really good world building and not by handwaving?

I keep hearing the women shouldn't be soldiers in fantasy stories because of natural law stuff but I really want something to point to when engaging in those discussions against those ideas. I also want to read speculative fiction on something like this.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Greedfall has various women in high ranking positions such as militia and one of the leaders is an old woman, the Mother Cardinal. I think the game has overall good female representation.

Now granted there is speak of brothels and the like in the game but overall i find the female relresentstion in the game quite good.

Also regarding of colonialism concerns, the game lets u side woth the natives and is more in the natives side of things in the game.

Edit- oh and some enemy npcs are women.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think the latest Pathfinder rpg had a companion with a story dealing with those issues:

https://pathfinderkingmaker.gamepedia.com/Valerie

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Greedfall has various women in high ranking positions such as militia and one of the leaders is an old woman, the Mother Cardinal. I think the game has overall good female representation.

Now granted there is speak of brothels and the like in the game but overall i find the female relresentstion in the game quite good.

Also regarding of colonialism concerns, the game lets u side woth the natives and is more in the natives side of things in the game.

There are both men and women too in the brothels.

And most importantly, the armor designs. Man and woman counterparts look mostly the same, while man has masculine parts and woman has some feminine parts. No boobs armors!

F241579D31C7C9FB780362160D9F34D62EC75559

Good job, Spiders.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I found Miranda in Mass Effect 2, and the lingering shots of her shrink-wrapped rear, extremely distasteful. Now I come to think of it, Jack (an abused child and disturbed adult) crying during her sex scene was absolutely gross.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I found Miranda in Mass Effect 2, and the lingering shots of her shrink-wrapped rear, extremely distasteful. Now I come to think of it, Jack (an abused child and disturbed adult) crying during her sex scene was absolutely gross.
Mass Effect jumped the shark for me when they introduced the absurd sexbot.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017

yyyyyyeahhhh giving a game that explicitly presents colonialism as a grey morally complex issue a pass just because it doesn't have boob armour is like peak white feminism. so yeah, pass.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
And most importantly, the armor designs. Man and woman counterparts look mostly the same, while man has masculine parts and woman has some feminine parts. No boobs armors!
Bound By Flame had some decent armour designs too, except for an NPC or two which had shit like this. Fortunately the player character was fine and I liked the subtle visual updates when you'd do upgrades to them.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Bound By Flame had some decent armour designs too, except for an NPC or two which had shit like this. Fortunately the player character was fine and I liked the subtle visual updates when you'd do upgrades to them.
At first I thought that'd be incredibly cold, but it's black metal in the sun so I guess it's actually searingly hot! Bound by flame indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.