• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Like doing a web search like "neogaf inurl:resetera" to find shit to troll over. To be clear I can't say that's why anyone wouldn't use the name but it's one possible explanation people refer to it obliquely. As for me the forum doesn't occupy a waking moment in my head except when people bringing it up to laugh over like here

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Discussing, ever by name, of GAF was frowned upon early on after the move to avoid needless cross forum drama and create a fresh/clean start for Era. So people just started to use things like "old place" and the like to refer to it when it was referenced to honor that and skirt around it.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Can someone explain to me why people call it "the old forum" and adjacent terms instead of directly saying NeoGAF?

Well way back when Era first opened, saying/discussing GAF was really frowned upon, so a lot of people got into the habit of just using kitschy nicknames like "The old place", "The Old County", etc. It just sort of caught on. I thin preferring to use a nickname for someone/something deplorable can be cathartic and necessary for people (see Trump)

On a related note, I remember posting some kind of snide comment about what's-his-face (see what I did there, that's what I'm talking about) and surprisingly haven't been banned yet. I figured I'd just keep my account in case is ever needed (looking for an old post, getting a message to someone for whatever reason, etc)

Now watch as someone sees this post and gets me banned over there.
Right? I never even find them sexy. At some point it feels motivated less by libido and more out of habit or producers, even though I know it's probably all of the above every time.

Yeah and you have their target audience giving them the thumbs up so there's this feedback loop where essentially "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

So Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is pretty good but yeah many of the female cast are pretty sexualize whether it an outfit from the comics of developer input.
Here the few I feel aren't sexualize or at least not so extreme.
D887cPNVsAA3GQp

D8877wRUEAEV_wr

D888VIdU0AAkWhe

D886VjBUcAAPqrl

D885CJoUcAAglkq

D888W2IVUAA0FpT

I find the Wasp to be the worst offender since it a very conforming outfit and certain parts are emphasize.

In terms of agency it pretty even between the cast without positioning any disempowerment.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
was watching a streaming of Dirge of Cerberus and suddenly everyone started laughing when a person IN THE RAIN wearing a coat that when the camera turns she is wearing ...

BhpAmnu.png

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
was watching a streaming of Dirge of Cerberus and suddenly everyone started laughing when a person IN THE RAIN wearing a coat that when the camera turns she is wearing ...

BhpAmnu.png
I have fond memories of reading The Dark Id's LP of that game and his baffled reaction to that character design

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

BhpAmnu.png

I remember seeing, many, many, many years ago, someone, in a discussion that was largely criticism of Tetsuya Nomura's character designs, earnestly try and argue that this is a perfectly normal outfit that someone might wear in a lab.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what? Since its been brought up again, FUCK Sly Thieves in Time for bowling over its two female characters repeatedly both in characterization and fetishization.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I made a thread about himbos and I had a patrol of folks doing the 'lets do a bimbo thread since this is okay' and im so tired...
why people have to be like this

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
So I made a thread about himbos and I had a patrol of folks doing the 'lets do a bimbo thread since this is okay' and im so tired...
why people have to be like this

It's not even the same type of characters. Kiryu might be kinda dumb in some substories, but he is charming and seen in a positive way.

But in bimbo the dumb part is always negative or saying things a Stacy Malibu would say.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing, many, many, many years ago, someone, in a discussion that was largely criticism of Tetsuya Nomura's character designs, earnestly try and argue that this is a perfectly normal outfit that someone might wear in a lab.
I love his character designs.

Its either ' trendy as fuck " or " what the fuck " And that's deffo the latter one of his worse ones

Hey I still have an old account on the old forum...I wonder what it's like now afte---

giphy.gif
Oh wow I didn't know they were so blantant now huh.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

BhpAmnu.png

It's weird that this design would be "better" (not by much) if they got rid of the stupid ass triangle bit barely attached at the bottom. It takes what's otherwise a clubbing outfit (it's certainly not scientist outfit) to fashion diaster and I hate it.

Oh same with Russo's nonsense "spiked hair" that makes no sense

latest

I used to love Nomura. But he's out of ideas and out of practice as he fulfills other roles at the company.

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even the same type of characters. Kiryu might be kinda dumb in some substories, but he is charming and seen in a positive way.

But in bimbo the dumb part is always negative or saying things a Stacy Malibu would say.
Weird way the himbo thread went. I really liked it. Do we need a "Discussing Himbos and Bimbos in Gaming. A Thread without Pictures."-Thread? I have no better idea. :(

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I used to love Nomura. But he's out of ideas and out of practice as he fulfills other roles at the company.

I think his partnerships with actual fashion designers have paid off in FFXV and VII Remake (excepting Cindy and Aranea, though I dunno if they came before or after the change), and Kingdom Hearts' newer outfit and character designs have been an improvement IMO.

Nomura designing the basic face and hair of characters while other people design the clothes seems like a good balance

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird that this design would be "better" (not by much) if they got rid of the stupid ass triangle bit barely attached at the bottom. It takes what's otherwise a clubbing outfit (it's certainly not scientist outfit) to fashion diaster and I hate it.

Oh same with Russo's nonsense "spiked hair" that makes no sense

latest

Did nobody tell Nomura about the dangers of putting spiky stuff near bare skin

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Nomura is pretty much a talentless hack, but he's noisy and that's why he's now one of the heads of the company. And it's gotten worse over the years.

If you like trope-y garbage though, it's definitely a fit (everyone needs it from time-to-time). Regardless, the designs are and always have been amateurish in comparison to his peers (and belts - need more belts).

May 13, 2019
Nomura is pretty much a talentless hack, but he's noisy and that's why he's now one of the heads of the company. And it's gotten worse over the years.

If you like trope-y garbage though, it's definitely a fit (everyone needs it from time-to-time). Regardless, the designs are and always have been amateurish in comparison to his peers (and belts - need more belts).
www.mirror.co.uk

Kingdom Hearts fan questions answered in interview with Tetsuya Nomura

We had the rare chance to interview Kingdom Hearts' Tetsuya Nomura at the Disney expo
Ryan: So, zips and belts are prevalent in the character design. Is that just because you like the aesthetic? Does it have meaning behind it? Why does Donald's hat have zips?

Nomura: That was my preference back when I first designed the characters, so 15 years ago. At that time, people teased me about zippers and belts and whatnot and I'm the type of person if somebody eggs me on I'm gonna do it more! Nowadays, I'm not as conscious about adding them in.

I'm not the type of person that would shrink down when people tease me about it. I'm gonna fight back! I'm gonna go back at it and do it more. So, if people egg me on saying 'oh, Kingdom Hearts III is delayed' well, I might even delay it further! (laughs)
You guys brought this upon yourselves.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Lol. Nomura is far from a talentless hack or an amateur. He's done some shitty, nonsensical designs (though if I'm not wrong there may be some that are commonly attributed to him that are actually designed by other people) but he can unarguably draw well and has done other good work at SQEX, character design & otherwise. Yeah, he has a somewhat more generic style (though still fairly distinguishable) than someone like Amano, but that doesn't mean he can't draw or that he's a talentless hack, that's just silly hyperbole with no basis in reality.

And how is he noisy? Design-wise? He has range. Some of his designs are noisy but a lot of them are fairly simple. Personality-wise? That couldn't be further from the truth. He doesn't like the spotlight, he's a hard worker and he likes to give everyone in his teams a chance to contribute in meaningful ways & actively encourages everyone to pitch in. Read any of his interviews and he always comes off as a humble person.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hey I still have an old account on the old forum...I wonder what it's like now afte---

giphy.gif

Holy fucking shit. :D EviLore happily boasting about it afterwards too, would be so fucking surreal to 3 year ago me. I guess that's one way to cope with being exposed as a predator; might as well shed the sheep skin and embrace it for full cred points with fellow predators and assorted fascists.

Edit: Wait, they have a thread exclusively to spy and shit on ResetEra? That might be the saddest thing I've seen all week.

17944ba2c5d0ae2c4465efd6f7043eab.jpg

Last edited:

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Lol. Nomura is far from a talentless hack or an amateur. He's done some shitty, nonsensical designs (though if I'm not wrong there may be some that are commonly attributed to him that are actually designed by other people) but he can unarguably draw well and has done other good work at SQEX, character design & otherwise. Yeah, he has a somewhat more generic style (though still fairly distinguishable) than someone like Amano, but that doesn't mean he can't draw or that he's a talentless hack, that's just silly hyperbole with no basis in reality.

And how is he noisy? Design-wise? He has range. Some of his designs are noisy but a lot of them are fairly simple. Personality-wise? That couldn't be further from the truth. He doesn't like the spotlight, he's a hard worker and he likes to give everyone in his teams a chance to contribute in meaningful ways & actively encourages everyone to pitch in. Read any of his interviews and he always comes off as a humble person.
I think we read his personality differently. That said, as for his designs, I don't see the simplicity in his work as something that distinguishes it nearly so much as it shows a lack of interest in exploring something that isn't stereotypical.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States

Tower_of_the_Gods_Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg

Get over yourself.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, his lunge carried enough momentum to get himself in there regardless.

The longer gif is even funnier. At first I thought is was a scene of some weirdo randomly running into the wood chipper, but it being a botched assault is even funnier and more appropriate for the usage here.
The movie that's from is about a bunch of college students trying to murder two people vacationing in the woods who they think are slasher movie villains.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, his lunge carried enough momentum to get himself in there regardless.

The longer gif is even funnier. At first I thought is was a scene of some weirdo randomly running into the wood chipper, but it being a botched assault is even funnier and more appropriate for the usage here.
It's from Tucker & Dale vs Evil, a great horror comedy that I highly recommend.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
THAT'S what you want to defend Nomura with? O_o Umm okay...

Man I would've loved to hear what the meeting for this abomination was like

Nomura: So there's this demon guy right? And you think he's the final boss but he's just a part in this huge chain of people, they're like Espers or something. And you just fight you way up to the top where you fight angelic Kefka, so it's like starting in Hell and moving up to Heaven. Also let's throw in a couple of half naked ladies... and a TIGER!

Disclaimer: I LOVE FF6, it's my favorite of the main series, but you know, it's a weird and out there final boss.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
THAT'S what you want to defend Nomura with? O_o Umm okay...

Man I would've loved to hear what the meeting for this abomination was like

Nomura: So there's this demon guy right? And you think he's the final boss but he's just a part in this huge chain of people, they're like Espers or something. And you just fight you way up to the top where you fight angelic Kefka, so it's like starting in Hell and moving up to Heaven. Also let's throw in a couple of half naked ladies... and a TIGER!

Disclaimer: I LOVE FF6, it's my favorite of the main series, but you know, it's a weird and out there final boss.
It's imaginative and cool and in trying to make it sound ridiculous you just described how cool it is.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
User banned (1 week): dismissive driveby in a sensitive topic, history of similar infractions
There are also many girls i know that don't mind sexualized characters designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.