• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2018
Came across this, was it posted? Apologies if so.

Thread:

Great read.

It also made me think about how female characters are usually kept off box art unless they're portrayed as sexy or damsels in distress, how Naughty Dog had to fight to get Ellie on the box art for The Last of Us, and what Dontnod said about how difficult it was for them to find a publisher who were willing to promote games with female leads.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
But only a few thousand people are needed to make them a good profit and there're more than enough that will throw hundreds and thousands of dollars into this pitt just to get these kind of skins. That's why i personaly don't really see this going away as long as they stay within the laws.

This is how it generally is with anime and Japanese games in general, even Jpop. They focus really hard on a really small audience of otakus who'll pay $80 for a Blu-Ray with three episodes on it, or buy a ton of merch, or in extreme cases even buy multiple copies of a CD. They had to do that after the 2008 crash and some other economic stuff in Japan basically destroyed the disposable income of mainstream consumers, and a lot of companies never really got back up from that.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I'm glad that thread about that twitter feed was immediately scrutinized over the true definition of censorship to the point where any discussion about her point is drowned out by people insisting that this thread now be the one where we discuss censorship. /s Funny how the cries of censorship only work in one direction, anything that goes against "sexualize women" must be immediately countered.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Hey I still have an old account on the old forum...I wonder what it's like now afte---

giphy.gif
They banned you without you having posted there post-Eviloregate?
Came across this, was it posted? Apologies if so.

Thread:

I think this deserves it's own thread. Given how much the dialogue of videogame censorship goes, it's taking this as a real example of it happening.

edit: I'm sleep deprived and possibly blind. It's already a thread, so nvm lol

Last edited:

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
'FByleth's design is trash? Hold my beer!' - Evil character in Three Houses

DfslBZu.jpg

RockyRZ

Banned
Jul 21, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Concerns on Sexualization/Objectification; Pattern of Dismissive Posts; Account in Junior Phase
Not real characters which OP admits but she feels offended by them. Okay.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Imagine waiting for account approval just to post in a couple of switch threads and then do something like that post up there...

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
What doese that even mean? I googled cuckolding and still have not the slightest idea what you have to post for that. .__.

Calling people cucks is the go to insult for the alt-right.

because apparently the only thing worse than a "fag" is effeminate "soy" boys that enjoy watching their wife/girlfriend get fucked by another guy (most likely a black guy)

dont ask me why this is the first place their brain goes....

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

because apparently the only thing worse than a "fag" is effeminate "soy" boys that enjoy watching their wife/girlfriend get fucked by another guy (most likely a black guy)

Brain?

source.gif

What brain?

F4raday

Jul 4, 2019

I thought that it just meant a man cheated on by his wife/girlfriend?

I mean, it's the perfect alt-right insult, because it doesn't really mean anything, but it sounds perfectly derogatory. Cuck. Cuck. Cuck. Like something between "fuck" and "cock".

At the same time, it's hillarious that a bunch of incels call people out on being cheated on, when the insult itself implies that the person they are insulting got further in "the game" than they ever did.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I take it Fire Emblem is not going "back" to the sRPG political heavy stories with little to non existent fan service that I remember liking...
It's ok, I'm getting good at ignoring Fire Emblem these days.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I take it Fire Emblem is not going "back" to the sRPG political heavy stories with little to non existent fan service that I remember liking...

Eh to be fair, it does seem like the former is happening and its only 2 characters that get hit with the fanservice bat hard. Most of the outfits are fine (if not necessarily war appropriate)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Three Houses is absolutely going back to a politics-heavy story with thorough world-building. The fanservice designs we've seen, while unfortunate, have been few and far between — incomparable to something like Fates.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Eh to be fair, it does seem like the former is happening and its only 2 characters that get hit with the fanservice bat hard. Most of the outfits are fine (if not necessarily war appropriate)
That's far better than what I expected!
I mean I don't think we'll ever get a FE without some kind of boobplate or something but it would certainly fantastic if they could quarantine the fanservice to just Heroes.
After Xeno2 and how much the stupid outfits bothered me, I'm more wary of what I buy.

Three Houses is absolutely going back to a politics-heavy story with thorough world-building. The fanservice designs we've seen, while unfortunate, have been few and far between — incomparable to something like Fates.
Ok, that's good I guess.
I kinda expected worse so I planned around getting the game because the last few FEs have been....unfortunate to say the least.
I don't have the bandwidth to get anything but Collection of Mana for quite some time so....
You make bets, you win some you lose some.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've been flip-flopping between cautious enthusiasm and dread for Three Houses. I've tried to ignore as much of it as possible, but even with the character designs I've gone from 'that's a huge improvement' to 'oh look, clubbing gear and combat lingerie again'. Still, I've come around on the setting, it sounds more and more like the school aspect of it is more of a slower introduction to re-introduce the game's varied mechanics to a wide audience on Switch, which kinda makes sense considering the amount of exposure they've given it as a setting and factions compared to raw battle mechanics.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been flip-flopping between cautious enthusiasm and dread for Three Houses. I've tried to ignore as much of it as possible, but even with the character designs I've gone from 'that's a huge improvement' to 'oh look, clubbing gear and combat lingerie again'. Still, I've come around on the setting, it sounds more and more like the school aspect of it is more of a slower introduction to re-introduce the game's varied mechanics to a wide audience on Switch, which kinda makes sense considering the amount of exposure they've given it as a setting and factions compared to raw battle mechanics.

If it helps, only that assassin shown above is the only character that's completely unchangable. Any playable character can have a different outfit depending on the class. Also most of the timeskip designs I've seen are good so there's that as well.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If it helps, only that assassin shown above is the only character that's completely unchangable. Any playable character can have a different outfit depending on the class. Also most of the timeskip designs I've seen are good so there's that as well.
Thanks Xas. I was going to say 'flops again' but realised that could be taken as a somewhat inflammatory sales prediction! :D

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nintendo seems to putting a fair bit of marketing muscle behind Three Houses. It would not surprise me if it ends up being the best selling FE several times over.
Absolutely, it wouldn't surprise me either. I noticed cross-promotion in FE Heroes started this week, with players getting a decent free unit (M Byleth) if they have a linked Nintendo account and register the game for gold coins. F Byleth and the house leaders are in the game now too.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there's an "evil is impractical" trope out there. Because while "evil is sexy" is a thing, I think that gets interpreted in only the dumbest way possible if it's a game dev.

"Speed and dexterity" - in a skintight suit with sideboob? Right.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there's an "evil is impractical" trope out there. Because while "evil is sexy" is a thing, I think that gets interpreted in only the dumbest way possible if it's a game dev.

"Speed and dexterity" - in a skintight suit with sideboob? Right.

Training in leather bondage lingerie improves one's dexterity because you have to learn how to move quietly and efficiently without your Giant Anime Tiddies Flopping Everywhere, and also her bold, attention grabbing Sexy Clown look informs the player that she's a strong woman who is so confidant in her abilities as an assassin that she feels no need to dress inconspicuously as a normal assassin might. Hashtag Strong Women Hashtag Feminism

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Training in leather bondage lingerie improves one's dexterity because you have to learn how to move quietly and efficiently without your Giant Anime Tiddies Flopping Everywhere, and also her bold, attention grabbing Sexy Clown look informs the player that she's a strong woman who is so confidant in her abilities as an assassin that she feels no need to dress inconspicuously as a normal assassin might. Hashtag Strong Women Hashtag Feminism

It is good that she is sexy, because that is a rarity in today's media. /s

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same thing with the Asari, though they at least get real clothing

While the Viera do have their problematic nature, to say that they can't get real clothing is wrong. Any normal outfit that existed for other races can be worn by them which is many.

The sad part is that most Viera players will go for low coverage outfits.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area

I think it's the result of a collective fear amongst them that their respective wives, girlfriends, daughters, or mothers would have sex with a black man.

Oct 25, 2017
'FByleth's design is trash? Hold my beer!' - Evil character in Three Houses

DfslBZu.jpg
I'm so tired of seeing these same old 'sexy' outfits. Beyond just being impractical, many 'sexy' designs are ugly as fuck abominations. There are ways to make a sexy outfit without going down the rote path of skin tight material and showing little patches of skin everywhere.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What doese that even mean? I googled cuckolding and still have not the slightest idea what you have to post for that. .__.

It comes from possessiveness over whiteness and more specifically white women, i.e. fear of race mixing. If you're okay with biracial relationships, you're a "cuck." They don't want "savages" taking "their" women.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Au Ra men are tall and fearsome looking due to their horns and scales. Au Ra women are very petite, even compared to the other races. They used the excuse of sexual dimorphism to give an in game justification for the stark visual difference but I suspect it was for this very same reason. The original concept art made both the men and women tall and lithe with sharp claws but this was changed somewhere along the way.
The thing that sucks about that is almost everyone I know wants two things from the concept art phases:
1. The more animal like looks in the Au Ra concepts
2. The Racial armor from the Viera concepts (that was actually quite good) versus the Fran outfit.

I get why they did it but it still sucks.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tired of seeing these same old 'sexy' outfits. Beyond just being impractical, many 'sexy' designs are ugly as fuck abominations. There are ways to make a sexy outfit without going down the rote path of skin tight material and showing little patches of skin everywhere.
Right? I never even find them sexy. At some point it feels motivated less by libido and more out of habit or producers, even though I know it's probably all of the above every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.