• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
MHs armor designs, especially for females, are legit the biggest reason I havent bothered with the series.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
In the general sense but for Tifa?

OC by a very talented concept artist. Another hella reasonable design by the same person:
morry-_-black2-5-twi-0.jpg
The detail on that plate is awesome. In fact all the metalwork is, the effects and soft, reflected glow from a light source is really nice too.

Oh, and welcome back Kinsei!

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I missed a doozy. In other news.

I just can't believe Square Enix would just ignore such important lore as the history of support bras. Clearly such an omission of important lore is just proof of why FFVIIR will be terrible. I demand a detailed history of the textile industry for this game before I can accept that women's clothing was made for her comfort in mind rather than male titillation! Otherwise it isn't realistic!

/s

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Man I missed a doozy. In other news.

I just can't believe Square Enix would just ignore such important lore as the history of breast support bras. Clearly such an omission of important lore is just proof of why FFVIIR will be terrible. I demand a detailed history of the textile industry for this game before I can accept that women's clothing was made for her comfort in mind rather than male titillation! Otherwise it isn't realistic!

/s

the conversation around tifa's boob was always ridiculous, but this is on another level

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But wait, she isn't wearing boob armour. How are we supposed to tell that she's a woman? 🤔

Indeed! I am unable to gain a boner looking at that picture so clearly there's too much confusion! They need to have a boob window no matter what!

...sad thing is that there are people who probably believe that.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
So I started playing Forgotton Anne yesterday, it's been in my backlog for a while and the game is beautiful with an interesting story so far but I really love Anne's design too:

runninganne.gif

gif-6.gif

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I chose a male character on purpose because I just knew the female armour variants would be trashy.
I did the same. I actually made a female character early on, thinking I might just focus on the less trashy sets, but... it's too limiting and I gave up and now play exclusively a male hunter. :(

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Observing the torment of otaku-pervs over Tifa is good schadenfreude.

I was enjoying it until the major media sites got involved.

Now I'm wondering if this is something that's going to plague the character forever.

Lara Croft managed to move away from her original Boob Raider image thanks to a redesign and a re-introduction. It was my hopes the same thing would happen with Tifa, but so far the whole sports bra meme has people thinking about how big her titties are one way or the other.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Gonna make me a female Roegadyn character in FF14 when I get to play it later this July. Can I make my character of that race dark skinned by any chance?
I looked up Au Ru/the dragon-like humanoids and the difference between females and males in terms of size is disappointing.

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna make me a female Roegadyn character in FF14 when I get to play it later this July. Can I make my character of that race dark skinned by any chance?
I looked up Au Ru/the dragon-like humanoids and the difference between females and males in terms of size is disappointing.
I haven't played XIV in two expansions but all the characters I made were able to have believable darker skin tones. I even had a jet black character (Elezen iirc) in the 1.0 version at some point. Roes are great because they naturally come in like, slate blues and brick reds and mossy greens. Girlkas (sorry, old XI player slang) have some of the absolute best character creation options in my opinion.

The extreme sexual dimorphism as presented by MMO racial options has been a huge problem for me for a long time. I remember being really pissed off at WoW when the Draenei were introduced. They had a chance to give us an entire race of beefcake wrestling women instead of... supermodels with hooves and horns? I had a similar reaction to the Au Ra. Just bleh.

This whole Tifa discussion is sure something (pretty disgusting re: the goobergrape contingent) but kind of hilarious on a personal level. My gender fluid spouse is a big VII fan, cosplayed the character in question quite successfully in their youth, and wears a 42 DD bra when they aren't binding. Needless to say, we're both huge fans of her redesign, although we're trying not to consume too much information about the remake before it comes out.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Had a quick look and these are the options for the female Roegadyn Hellsguard:

nAp1t6g.png

I think the Roegadyn Sea Wolf has more blue and green tints

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Download the benchmark tool, they come with a character creator, and most importantly, it's for free and you can transfer the appearance data

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Cool I'll go for something in the brown range.
Now all I gotta worry about are the clothings, though I still can't decide on what class to take. I'll wait until Shadowbringers update goes live and see if there is a good class for debuffing, because the monk class looks rather dull.

I'm in it either for flashy looking attacks or debuffing enemies (bonus being buffing allies) while I
D5A2qmSW0AIAQem.png

Download the benchmark tool, they come with a character creator, and most importantly, it's for free and you can transfer the appearance data
Wicked, but I'll wait for Shadowbringers update first to see what they'll add in first :3

Libero

Jun 15, 2019
Sexualization isn't so much the issue for me. Ivy from Soul Caliber was always great to me and her design never bothered me. Charas like her are fine with me. The biggest issue is that camera shots are almost always done differently for the sexy female characters as opposed to the male characters. Female characters get revealed costumes, jiggle physics, and camera shots that pan over their whole body. Sexy male characters either get that down to up shot, or just get shown. There's no special attention to their body. They are not framed as a sexual beings, they're just a character. It's painfully obvious in a lot of fighting games. I don't mind that female characters are shown as hot, but like, you can do that with male characters too.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yup doing a female hunter in World was my only regret with that game.
There's a couple decent layered armor options so we can cover up the trashy looking armor with something else.

But they're all tied to post game timed event quests...

It's annoying having to work around all that to make a decent armor set that also has pants.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Cool I'll go for something in the brown range.
Now all I gotta worry about are the clothings, though I still can't decide on what class to take. I'll wait until Shadowbringers update goes live and see if there is a good class for debuffing, because the monk class looks rather dull.

I'm in it either for flashy looking attacks or debuffing enemies (bonus being buffing allies) while I
D5A2qmSW0AIAQem.png

Wicked, but I'll wait for Shadowbringers update first to see what they'll add in first :3
Skin tone wise it should all be there in the shadowbringers benchmark... most changes will probably be hairstyles and head options for the two new races, you can change hairstyles in game and isn't making a bunny girl/bara furry, sooo you can at least rehearse your character xD

SlimX

Nov 11, 2017
Here's my character from back when I played, if it gives you an idea:
z1Kvf7D.jpg

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So Tifa was just revealed for Dissidia NT, and she's wearing her original outfit (her AC outfit is an alternate, and her Remake design will undoubtedly be DLC later down the line).

D96PtNJUwAETkjf.jpg:large

What's particularly noteworthy is that just like her Remake design, her chest is much less emphasized than previous incarnations, and despite being a Team Ninja-developed game she appears to have no jiggle physics.

Hilariously, the discourse from the usual suspects seem to be touting how "THIS is the Tifa they should have used in the Remake!", even though Remake Tifa is a far more detailed and expressive design AND arguably has a larger chest to boot.

While this just further fuels the stupid, the good news from all this is that it cements once and for all that Square Enix is not pandering the character to their demands. I had mentioned before how it irked me that she was the only female in 012 to get bounce physics, so by refraining from that in NT she gets to fit in with the other (still extremely limited) female roster just nicely.

Internet rage aside it's been a goddamn great year for Tifa.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had mentioned in the other thread that I'm sure these guys will be all over her Honeybee Inn dress design when it's revealed.

Unless that also gets toned down (no boob window, chest still same size).

I'm personally hoping for the cleavage window to be omitted so that the Remake can introduce the theory that she has a scar underneath.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Unless that also gets toned down (no boob window, chest still same size).

I'm personally hoping for the cleavage window to be omitted so that the Remake can introduce the theory that she has a scar underneath.

Nah the honeybee in dress needs to be way sexer. Clevage, bigger chest, showing even more tights. And one of the quest options be an exact Lightning cosplay.

We need Cloud dress to be SEXY.

...it is cloud we are talking, right?

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Nah the honeybee in dress needs to be way sexer. Clevage, bigger chest, showing even more tights. And one of the quest options be an exact Lightning cosplay.

absolutely we are

as for Lightning cosplay, Cloud would obviously look cutest in this

etSMOir.jpg

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

Wall Market is probably the only context where S-E's Lightning obsession would have been appropriate.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the Dissidia render, that does reinforce my earlier thoughts that her OG outfit could have worked for Remake. The skirt still would have been silly considering the high kicks she tends to do, but otherwise it was never an overly sexy design.

The problem was always in the proportions as well as whether they would have added jiggle or not. Still quite surprised NT restrained itself on both considering Team Ninja made the game. Even Samus had bigger knockers in Other M by comparison.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I've been playing the board game Gloomhaven a lot lately. And since its Early Access video game adaptation is around the corner, I wanted to talk about how outstanding its female character design was (at least in the board game... I guess we'll see how it turns out for the video game version).

Honestly, the art is so great! Especially when there are sill a lot of fantasy board games with the "boobs out, no pants" syndrome (looking at you Middara and Mage Knight).

Gloomhaven's character design is so varied and interesting:

Aesther-Summoner.jpg

Valrath-Sunkeeper.jpg

Bandit-Archer.jpg

Inox-Berseker.jpg

pic4066739.jpg

Isaac Childres, Gloomhaven's creator, talked about his ideas about female character designs in a very interesting blog post called "Realistic depictions of women in fantasy":

Again, it all comes down to world-building. If all the women in your world are walking around in their underwear with broken backs, what is the in-world explanation for that and what is the creative reason for its existence? How does this behavior enhance the story of your world? If a giant, winged lizard is ravaging the countryside, that provides conflict for a story, which drives a narrative forward. Unless you're specifically going for a more "adult-themed" type of game, I fail to see how lingerie adds to that narrative at all. It simply makes no sense.

And the number one thing that brings me out of an immersive experience is unrealistic depictions of women, simply because, like I said earlier, it is just so pervasive and cliche. "Oh, yep, there's that again. That's certainly bothersome." And then I'm out.

So this is something I am struggling to do right with Gloomhaven. I say "struggling" because this practice of unrealistic sexualization is so routine in the artistic community, it took quite a while to get my artist (who is amazing) to realize that this wasn't what I wanted in the portraits. There were a lot of emails asking for more clothing or for everyone to not be rail-thin.

In the end, I made some allowances where it was consistent with the world. The rich, vain merchant at the center of the box cover might be inclined to wear more revealing clothing when showing off her wealth around town. The meditative Orchid race would have reason to be incredibly thin.

I'm pretty happy overall with the result. The portraits of the female classes show strong women in positions of power, just like the male classes. If you are offended by any of the depictions of women in Gloomhaven, let me know and we'll work on fixing it. I certainly don't want to bring anyone out of the immersive experience of the game.

Of course nothing is perfect, but the representation of women in the fantasy world of Gloomhaven has certainly been a huge step forward, especially considering how popular the game turned out to be. And it certainly puts some newer games to shame. It was bothering me a lot before, but now after playing Gloomhaven I just cannot stomach artwork like in Middara anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.