• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2019
Playing Torna right now and its uncanny how much better Mythra looks with the black leggings.

The fuck were they thinking with some of those Xeno 2 designs :/
I will always laugh at everything related to Xeno 2's character designs because it's like they read all there's to be read about the efforts of the West to stop the hyper sexualization of women in gaming and decided to do exactly the opposite just because they could.

Assuming the camera won't constantly leer on her chest, and the game won't make a big deal out of it, it's just gonna be exactly that; a character who happens to have a larger-than-average chest.
It was like than in the original game too. The one exception was Yuffie calling her "Boobs" during Tifa's short tenure as party leader. And I chalk that up to Yuffie being Yuffie.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I think the FF7 remake's design does the job well enough. Tifa is well-endowed, but she wears a sports bra that makes it look comfortable and natural. Assuming the camera won't constantly leer on her chest, and the game won't make a big deal out of it, it's just gonna be exactly that; a character who happens to have a larger-than-average chest.
So far so good on the camera aspect. Let's just hope they can find it in themselves to keep it up.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I think the FF7 remake's design does the job well enough. Tifa is well-endowed, but she wears a sports bra that makes it look comfortable and natural. Assuming the camera won't constantly leer on her chest, and the game won't make a big deal out of it, it's just gonna be exactly that; a character who happens to have a larger-than-average chest.
The issue is that when it comes to writing it's like they feel obligated to have at least one line that points out "HEY DID YOU NOTICE THAT THIS CHARACTER HAS BIG BREASTS?!"

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Well yeah, but with muscular male characters I've been told it's about idealization rather than sexualization, that those characters exist to be power fantasies for the male audience. With Tifa I see this assumption that being well endowed is only for the male audience, and I was wondering if it in the current landscape you can even have a non-fetishized woman who is well endowed.
I think that there's too much overthinking about how a character is dressed, and not enough about how they're posed and presented. These factors can be even more important than the outfit a character is wearing. Hell, it's conceivable for a character to be completely naked, but still not be subjected to objectification if the presentation tells us otherwise.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Feel like the likelihood of this is close to zero. "A game character's breasts are news worthy" is the cringiest fucking sentence.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Playing Torna right now and its uncanny how much better Mythra looks with the black leggings.

The fuck were they thinking with some of those Xeno 2 designs :/

Seeing Pyra being brought up in the Smash DLC Speculation thread the other day really brought back that angry "WTF is this?!?" feeling that made me quit the game in the first place. It's frustrating because they totally make sense as Smash picks (popular leads from new game) but at the same time I hate that kind of design celebrated. Man I can see the comments now...

"Ha now THIS is how you do a character with boobs, take notes FF7R team!"

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

D9dn7PXUIAA7a4j.jpg

Deflated to B cups apparently, y'all.

I still haven't really played any FF7-related media but I just took a quick look back at all Tifa's official art on the FF WIki, and remake Tifa looks pretty much identical to Dissidia.

And really, the only instances in the original game where her boobs look significantly bigger than that are the original concept art and the CG cut scenes, the latter of which were the most ridiculous.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
"Tifa stood out from the other girls, thanks to her boobs."

Excuse me, what??
Like I wonder what their response would be if I were to legitimately ask about Tifa's characterization in the game. 🤔

Clearly respects the character 🙄 😛

I kinda feel bad for Tifa. While nerds were losing it for her design, she actually gets some great screentime and character moments.
Yea really. Honestly seeing about her talk about her insecurities and having those insecurities completely unrelated to Cloud in the trailer was a good sign that at least SE is taking it seriously.

It was always telling how "fans" constantly misinterpret their characters, portraying Aeris as demure, and Tifa as confident when it's actually the other way around...
Regarding Aerith I'd blame SE on that one. Most of the FFVII cast got completely flanderized as a result of the compilation stuff. Aerith thus turned into a church girl like figure, (when the entire point of her design was to contrast with her personality)

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Pyra being brought up in the Smash DLC Speculation thread the other day really brought back that angry "WTF is this?!?" feeling that made me quit the game in the first place. It's frustrating because they totally make sense as Smash picks (popular leads from new game) but at the same time I hate that kind of design celebrated. Man I can see the comments now...

"Ha now THIS is how you do a character with boobs, take notes FF7R team!"

It's really annoying as well because we are severely needing a female Smash DLC character.

It was always telling how "fans" constantly misinterpret their characters, portraying Aeris as demure, and Tifa as confident when it's actually the other way around...

The misinterpretation is why FFVII fans annoy me despite me really liking FFVII, every character and lesson apparently just whizzed over a bunch of people's heads. See also: Cloud's "angsty" persona.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Did people blow a fuse like that in 2013 with the new Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboot? I can't remember.

I think it's just more people showing their ass when it comes to revealing their fandoms, exposing themselves as caring solely about the size of cloud's sword and the size of tifa's breasts 20 years later.

Lot of artists I've seen lately have had a real hardline "If I can't wank to it, I don't want it" attitude about this lately.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Regarding Aerith I'd blame SE on that one. Most of the FFVII cast got completely flanderized as a result of the compilation stuff. Aerith thus turned into a church girl like figure, (when the entire point of her design was to contrast with her personality)
I was always under the impression that was a direct result of them pandering to the fandom, since such alterations didn't come about until a good five years after the game's release.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It was like than in the original game too. The one exception was Yuffie calling her "Boobs" during Tifa's short tenure as party leader. And I chalk that up to Yuffie being Yuffie.
Nah. The original concept art had her wearing a skirt and a boob-sock shirt, not to mention that one ridiculous CG cut scene (I'm sure Crossing Eden has the gif somewhere).

Hell, it's conceivable for a character to be completely naked, but still not be subjected to objectification if the presentation tells us otherwise.
Yep.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's just more people showing their ass when it comes to revealing their fandoms, exposing themselves as caring solely about the size of cloud's sword and the size of tifa's breasts 20 years later.

Lot of artists I've seen lately have had a real hardline "If I can't wank to it, I don't want it" attitude about this lately.
It's funny because artists also don't have any trouble drawing sexualized versions of their favorite characters no matter what their official designs are.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Today is the day gamers learn about sports bras:
d45a253e0a9bbe6171b3298af4a69c23--women-athletes-funny-shit.jpg

Nah. The original concept art had her wearing a skirt and a boob-sock shirt, not to mention that one ridiculous CG cut scene (I'm sure @Crossing Eden has the gif somewhere).
xVzfWow.gif

You know what's funny, is that more than half the time developers attempt to use dynamic bones it still looks like this twenty years later and with some devs having an engine dedicated to handling breast physics. 😂

I was always under the impression that was a direct result of them pandering to the fandom, since such alterations didn't come about until a good five years after the game's release.
Yep, Advent Children is a perfect example of flanderization and completely ruined the perception of tons of characters.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And also profitable. In these crowdfunding days there's a lot of money to be made from drawing highly sexualised depictions of fan-popular characters.

Yeah, I have a cosplayer friend who despite personally hating it, relies on NSFW cosplays to bring in new Patreons because even if it's beautiful and fanciful, if it doesn't shove tits in front of the camera, it doesn't get attention.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
You know what's funny, is that more than half the time developers attempt to use dynamic bones it still looks like this twenty years later and with some devs having an engine dedicated to handling breast physics. 😂

That's one aspect that seems oddly offensive: Not only is it ridiculous pandering objectification but it doesn't even look right or appealing with cheap spring/strut implementations.

Yep, Advent Children is a perfect example of flanderization and completely ruined the perception of tons of characters.

One of the most hopeful things about the Remake was in the interview recently where the creators remembered the visual joke that existed in the original about Aerith and Tifa having opposite personality types to their visual design.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Clearly respects the character 🙄 😛

I kinda feel bad for Tifa. While nerds were losing it for her design, she actually gets some great screentime and character moments.

The reveal moment in the trailer followed by the massive, genuine cheer of the attending fans is up there with my all-time favorite E3 moments.

The new design, overwhelming fan response and wave of (mostly modest!) fan-art cemented the message loud and clear: this is a beloved character, and it's not because of her chest size. Of course there was the usual online discourse about "censorship" and the like, but it was equally refreshing to see these voices get beaten down.

But now I look at the comments about "this is how sports bras work" and the theorizing of her cup size, and I start to wonder if this is having the opposite effect. Am I wrong thinking that trying to compare real cup sizes against a fictional drawing/CG character's is disingenuous, even if it's used to counter the horny idiots whining?

At the end of the day, the remake isn't going for a "realistic" look, just a "more realistic anime" look. They aren't mo-capping the actual likenesses and proportions of real actors here, they're still going for a stylized anime look in a more detailed background. It's basically Jump Force but done right.

I'm only stating this because I don't want it to be the new headcanon that Tifa's chest will shoot out like like two missile silos once the sports bra comes off. The whole point of the revision to her design was to not make her chest the center of attention, as Square wisely realized that the character shouldn't be defined by it.

I just don't want another 20 years of Tifa Tiddy Talks. I've had my fill. If people so desperately want a videogame tiddy queen, Sorceress is right there.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
My bad, I thought you mean the in-game model.

Now I recall reading somewhere that they let Nomura designs the characters because they thought his blocky, cartoony designs would survived the transition to 3D better than Amano's isoterical sketches.
The real reason is much more banal. Amano wanted money and more input in the game design process. Nomura was much cheaper and had no real ability to set terms yet. Due to FFVII's immense popularity however, we are still getting his god-awful design-by-belt decades later.

FFVII really destroyed any chance for creativity in jRPGs. It established the extreme homogeneity we see today.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
One of the most hopeful things about the Remake was in the interview recently where the creators remembered the visual joke that existed in the original about Aerith and Tifa having opposite personality types to their visual design.

People forget that Tifa was fairly reserved and diplomatic during conversation, while Aerith would be the one blasting Ying Yang Twins from the phone in her basket.

I'm only stating this because I don't want it to be the new headcanon that Tifa's chest will shoot out like like two missile silos once the sports bra comes off. The whole point of the revision to her design was to not make her chest the center of attention, as Square wisely realized that the character shouldn't be defined by it.

I mean, that's not gonna happen anyway, so who cares? The new redesign is her default, and if you don't like it (royal you, not you in particular), you can go back to drawing pinups of how you fantasized that she'd look, and try selling them to lonely people on the internet.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That's one aspect that seems oddly offensive: Not only is it ridiculous pandering objectification but it doesn't even look right or appealing with cheap spring/strut implementations.
Exactly.
Now I wonder if this at all influenced their decision to make Aerith look "western' and Tifa look "eastern." I feel like that would unintentionally be playing into stereotypes about both regardless of the costume design.

May 13, 2019
The real reason is much more banal. Amano wanted money and more input in the game design process. Nomura was much cheaper and had no real ability to set terms yet. Due to FFVII's immense popularity however, we are still getting his god-awful design-by-belt decades later.
Man, I should have know it was because of money.

At least Amano still works with SE, meaning the relation didn't sour.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
The reveal moment in the trailer followed by the massive, genuine cheer of the attending fans is up there with my all-time favorite E3 moments

The new design, overwhelming fan response and wave of (mostly modest!) fan-art cemented the message loud and clear: this is a beloved character, and it's not because of her chest size. Of course there was the usual online discourse about "censorship" and the like, but it was equally refreshing to see these voices get beaten down.

You said it so well! Square Enix made a great design and did the perfect reveal and I literally watched in real time as the internet exploded with appreciation, tears, fan art. Her redesign is very much a home run.

I'm just worried that this tiny segment of dissent—who have learned over the last half decade a whole toolbox of techniques to amplify their opinions to seem vastly more over represented than they actually are—are going to derail the conversation and make the developers nervous when they absolutely shouldn't be.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
People are seriously complaining about the new Tifa design? It looks really damn faithful to the original, and (at least imo) it still has quite a bit of sex appeal.
I came across this hashtag #notmytifa on twitter just now, and just typing the damn thing out makes me cringe.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm just worried that this tiny segment of dissent—who have learned over the last half decade a whole toolbox of techniques to amplify their opinions to seem vastly more over represented than they actually are—are going to derail the conversation and make the developers nervous when they absolutely shouldn't be.
I came across this hashtag #notmytifa on twitter just now, and just typing the damn thing out makes me cringe.

Social media was a mistake.

Oct 25, 2017
People are seriously complaining about the new Tifa design? It looks really damn faithful to the original, and (at least imo) it still has quite a bit of sex appeal.
The whole thing reminds me of the MK11 reveals and me falling in love with Skarlet's design and then finding out a bunch of misogynistic assholes hate it.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I should have know it was because of money.

At least Amano still works with SE, meaning the relation didn't sour.
He mostly just provides covers and posters, and only really freelances now. His relative contribution on the art and design fronts for Squenix is pretty non-existent. Which is also why most all of the designs from Squenix post-FF7 are generic and uninteresting.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People forget that Tifa was fairly reserved and diplomatic during conversation, while Aerith would be the one blasting Ying Yang Twins from the phone in her basket.

I mean, that's not gonna happen anyway, so who cares? The new redesign is her default, and if you don't like it (royal you, not you in particular), you can go back to drawing pinups of how you fantasized that she'd look, and try selling them to lonely people on the internet.

I guess the only thing I worry about (as unlikely as it'll be) is that in an attempt to appeal to "both sides", they'll sneak in little references that her chest is even bigger than it appears because of the sports bra. Something like Yuffie walking in while she changes and exclaiming "Wow, how do you even walk with those???"

I just straight-up don't want her chest to be an in-joke, because a big part of the fandom already did that to a ludicrous degree, which is why I also winced whenever Square would nudge them along with cheeky references like this:

images

In Final Fantasy XIV, there is also a Tifa minion you can purchase, which is adorable and does a punch animation. The description calls it "a gravity-defying rendition of the famous brawler" and I can't help but think that's another boob joke.

It's honestly nitpicking and not a big deal in hindsight. The only reason I prefer they don't do this is because it's just adding fuel to an already smoldering fire caused by the online fandom. Ultimately, they were a major factor into why Tifa's design needed a revision in the first place.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I guess the only thing I worry about (as unlikely as it'll be) is that in an attempt to appeal to "both sides", they'll sneak in little references that her chest is even bigger than it appears because of the sports bra. Something like Yuffie walking in while she changes and exclaiming "Wow, how do you even walk with those???"

I just straight-up don't want her chest to be an in-joke, because a big part of the fandom already did that to a ludicrous degree, which is why I also winced whenever Square would nudge them along with cheeky references like this:

images

In Final Fantasy XIV, there is also a Tifa minion you can purchase, which is adorable and does a punch animation. The description calls it "a gravity-defying rendition of the famous brawler" and I can't help but think that's another boob joke.

It's honestly nitpicking and not a big deal in hindsight. The only reason I prefer they don't do this is because it's just adding fuel to an already smoldering fire caused by the online fandom. Ultimately, they were a major factor into why Tifa's design needed a revision in the first place.

I guess the only thing I can say is, from history, the only people who they'll try to cater to when it comes to maybe making some off color jokes or even referencing her chest in any memorable way, are people who are going to spend money on merch that leans into that. And honestly, I think they understand that this game is going to sell so well, there's no need to lean on merch sales to help make up project costs. The game's gonna sell a million in it's first 2 weeks, and barring massive technical failings, every chapter of this project will sell the same for 60 bucks a pop.

They have no reason to cave on their ambitions here.

That being said, I could see them putting in alternate costumes as dlc, selling them for 20 bucks a pop, and people complaining about "oh her chest doh" being sated that way. Which...I guess is a fine way of handling that particular monster under the bed.

But for some reason these guys thing Thigh-highs are less sensual? Really confuses me.

People are all about the Zettai Ryoiki now.

Oct 25, 2017

images

I don't even see them as nitpicks since it's clear that you just want the character to be respected, which is a sentiment that I share.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even see them as nitpicks since it's clear that you just want the character to be respected, which is a sentiment that I share.

I guess I feel slightly hypocritical as well, as someone who unapologetically likes big dumb tiddy.

The difference is I understand there's a time and a place for that, and you can't just insert big jubblies into something if it conflicts with the intended tone and style of the story. If Tifa was a guest character in Dead or Alive, no one would bat an eye at the jiggle physics and alternate costumes. That's the kind of franchise it is and everyone is being represented the same way.

In Dissidia 012, Tifa is the only female character in the game with jiggle physics, even though we have similarly curvy characters like Yuna and Cloud of Darkness. By doing this, the game is singling her out as "the boobie character".

It's the exact same reason why that FMV is so damaging: it directly undermines what was supposed to be a pivotal moment in the game's story. Heck, Tifa gets a serious injury and is in a coma for seven days as a result of that scene, and the person she loves the most (Cloud) ends up missing and presumed dead. This was absolutely not the time to add in 90's bouncing jello.

The revision and the Nomura interview did away with my fears in regards to pandering the character: they understood what the priorities were with the character. Also, I have to keep reminding myself that the loudest voices on the internet don't signify the majority: as stated above, the massive crowd cheer from the reveal trailer (many from women in fact) is proof enough that Tifa is one of the most popular videogame ladies of all time, and it isn't solely because of sex appeal.

That doesn't mean to do away with sex appeal either. It's my sincere hope that we can change character outfits in this game. If they decide to add some sexy outfits, then make them for everyone. A Costa De Sol pack that has the ladies in swimsuits and the guys in swim trunks (except Barret, he needs the sailor suit). There's a way to have fun with this without stating that "this is the only reason people give a shit about this character".

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I feel slightly hypocritical as well, as someone who unapologetically likes big dumb tiddy.

The difference is I understand there's a time and a place for that, and you can't just insert big jubblies into something if it conflicts with the intended tone and style of the story. If Tifa was a guest character in Dead or Alive, no one would bat an eye at the jiggle physics and alternate costumes. That's the kind of franchise it is and everyone is being represented the same way.

In Dissidia 012, Tifa is the only female character in the game with jiggle physics, even though we have similarly curvy characters like Yuna and Cloud of Darkness. By doing this, the game is singling her out as "the boobie character".

It's the exact same reason why that FMV is so damaging: it directly undermines what was supposed to be a pivotal moment in the game's story. Heck, Tifa gets a serious injury and is in a coma for seven days as a result of that scene, and the person she loves the most (Cloud) ends up missing and presumed dead. This was absolutely not the time to add in 90's bouncing jello.

The revision and the Nomura interview did away with my fears in regards to pandering the character: they understood what the priorities were with the character. Also, I have to keep reminding myself that the loudest voices on the internet don't signify the majority: as stated above, the massive crowd cheer from the reveal trailer (many from women in fact) is proof enough that Tifa is one of the most popular videogame ladies of all time, and it isn't solely because of sex appeal.

That doesn't mean to do away with sex appeal either. It's my sincere hope that we can change character outfits in this game. If they decide to add some sexy outfits, then make them for everyone. A Costa De Sol pack that has the ladies in swimsuits and the guys in swim trunks (except Barret, he needs the sailor suit). There's a way to have fun with this without stating that "this is the only reason people give a shit about this character".
I'm a leg and ass man, but I'd probably be annoyed if Tifa was dummy thicc as well. I do agree there's a time a place for the stuff as long as the representation is equal. A swimsuit pack with some man service would be fine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.