• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
quick n dirty
PdG9kQX.jpg

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you kind of answered your own question there. Just because something is objectifying, doesn't mean it's actually attractive in any way. They're exaggerated and over the top to the point where there's nothing left of them beyond the fan-service-ness of it all.

I say this as a bi man: He's way up there. Top 5 at least. The accent doesn't hurt either...
It was a misunderstanding standing. I was asking what they would find attractive for male characters. Not the male equivalent of objectification.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Three Kingdoms starts during the yellow turban revolution and although there are female generals of the bandits tribes that were given some spotlight (contrary to chinese made games happening in that same time period) , most of the Warrior Matriarchal tribes were on the side of the yellow turbans, guess who is the day one paid DLC ?

In other words female warriors and generals and capitains for once weren't erased from history = cool super cool sweet awseome
Salesman following sentence ? "But most of them were on the side of the Yellow Turban and the yellow turban faction is the day one paid dlc"

Sooo ladies (especially those that wanted and longed for a Three Kingdoms period Total War precisely for a chance to play Warrior Matriarchs ) are a weeee bit mad ....

EDIT : And CA's response is just "But Zheng Jiang is in the base game" ... way to miss the god damn point guys ... Zheng lives in a patriarchal bandit tribe she climbed rank by being a cold blooded literal "Killer Queen" , them ladies wanted to play the Naxi women generals , the Shune ge matriarchs etc etc....
The game does not start during the Yellow Turban revolution but the Coalition against Doug Zhou. The Yellow Turbans that are seen in the game are just the "second wave" of it. I don't disagree, but want to clarify some stuff about the game.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all really going through viddy game boys without mentioning the GOAT?

(the other dude's okay too)

Also re: the older convo about sexualised men in games, lmk when we start getting armour like this

(this one's probably nws)

These two are from Dragon Age apparently, but I've never played it, I'm assuming you can't actually dress that way. I feel like this is a pretty decent parallel to characters like Ivy. You really don't see this like anywhere.

Damn, that guy has some talent.

IIRC there might be like 1 or 2 armors male characters can wear that could be considered 'revealing', but even then they barely count. You would need to mod in revealing male armors instead. For the ladies though, that's a different story.

In Dragon Age origins the female mage robes looked terrible with the weird boob patches; just an ugly robe in general which can be thankfully fixed with a mod.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
The game does not start during the Yellow Turban revolution but the Coalition against Doug Zhou. The Yellow Turbans that are seen in the game are just the "second wave" of it. I don't disagree, but want to clarify some stuff about the game.
Thanks for the clarification I don't own the game just yet I actually checked out french fans forums to know what people think of it , and well it was a torrent of fuming ladies who are big mad that the martiarchs are tucked away in the day one DLC ...

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
And while a number of people left the site for good, keep in mind some of them like PhazonBlonde did so over disagreements in this very thread. I didn't always agree or get along with her, but I always valued her opinion. Now she's gone.
Actually, PhazenBlonde was the prime example I was thinking of when I brought it - it felt wrong that she felt so unwelcome in this thread.

Let's not rewrite history here. PhazonBlonde was a great contributer to much of Era's LGBT discussion back when I started here and it was a shame to see her quit like that.

But at the same time I remember she seemed to get into a lot of arguments in the off-topic side the preceding weeks before quitting. I think it's reasonable to assume the argument in this thread merely pushed her over the edge rather than being the main contributer.

I think someone was working on a feminism OT at some point but... I forgot who was doing it or if anything ever came out of it... 😔

I don't know how moderating this site works but as a moderator can you not limit posters in certain threads to specific member features (ie: only female can post)?

I remember a case a few months back when a female member proudly posted her own anime design that was supposed to be a representation of her. She was shamed out of the thread very ungraciously and without any empathy. It really made me feel bad for her.

Nothing says feminism like a thread of mostly men calling women peadophiles or walking peado-bait after multiple mod warnings.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the clarification I don't own the game just yet I actually checked out french fans forums to know what people think of it , and well it was a torrent of fuming ladies who are big mad that the martiarchs are tucked away in the day one DLC ...
The three Yellow Turban Leaders in the are Gong Du, He Yi, and Huang Shao and the game itself takes place in 190 CE and could not have the big revolution because of it. My guess is that CA wanted to have Yellow Turban and choose those three as the main leaders, due them being active at that time, just to have them in the game or people will complain about it. You might get a better idea if you watch the intro to the campaign to get a better idea on what CA was aiming for with this game.

I do want to add that there are only two female characters that have special artwork, which is the Bandit Queen and Sun Ren. I think that CA needed to do a better job with female generals in 3K and them kind of fumble with it.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
The three Yellow Turban Leaders in the are Gong Du, He Yi, and Huang Shao and the game itself takes place in 190 CE and could not have the big revolution because of it. My guess is that CA wanted to have Yellow Turban and choose those three as the main leaders, due them being active at that time, just to have them in the game or people will complain about it. You might get a better idea if you watch the intro to the campaign to get a better idea on what CA was aiming for with this game.

I do want to add that there are only two female characters that have special artwork, which is the Bandit Queen and Sun Ren. I think that CA needed to do a better job with female generals in 3K and them kind of fumble with it.
Yeah they fumbled big time especially since pretty much all european ladies that are fans kept begging for a three kingdom game specifically becausee they wanted to play the matriarchs and female generals . So if they release them later on as a long trickle of paid dlc's this will only get worse and worse ...

Like come the fuck on you've been begged for 10 WHOLE YEARS by your female fan base and they made it dead clear that the reason they wanted a Three Kingdom Total War was to play the ladies ...

They had to know that this would happen ...

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Ugh... it really made me upset. It was such a mess.

I'll be honest, we men dominate discussion on this stuff way too much, and get way too defensive or aggresive about pre-concieved bulletpoints on what makes something feminist or not.

When Beyond:Two Souls came out, everyone online collectively shitted on the game and David Cage for being sexist and so forth. Yet, every girl I knew in real life who played it and a lot of women YouTube let's players loved it.

Certainly it's problematic in aspects, but not in the abstract of being a story about a cool psychic girl. It's not about specifics or defined features that determines is something is positive or not, but rather the general feeling and response the way a woman is presented affects female gamers.

Edit:
It's why I mostly lurk here, I don't wanna take away attention from where it should be (well more like sometimes lurk. the non-stop anime talk is genuinely obnoxious.)

Last edited:

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they fumbled big time especially since pretty much all european ladies that are fans kept begging for a three kingdom game specifically becausee they wanted to play the matriarchs and female generals . So if they release them later on as a long trickle of paid dlc's this will only get worse and worse ...

Like come the fuck on you've been begged for 10 WHOLE YEARS by your female fan base and they made it dead clear that the reason they wanted a Three Kingdom Total War was to play the ladies ...

They had to know that this would happen ...
Can you give me a link to this forum because I have questions about this already? CA has a problem that people expect them to fill certain needs from each historical games they come out with. I don't really know what the mindset of CA on why or why not they choose the female generals that they did. I feel bad for the female fans that are disappointed about it.
I should note there are a lot more female generals in the game itself like Lady Wu and generic ones to that the player can get. The problem is that the two I mention before have unique art, while the others do not. There are female generals in the Yellow Turbans you can get but do not have special art.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know how moderating this site works but as a moderator can you not limit posters in certain threads to specific member features (ie: only female can post)?
No, I don't have that power. I don't think it's even technically feasible, and I know for sure that we wouldn't want that anyway.

I'll be honest, we men dominate discussion on this stuff way too much, and get way too defensive or aggresive about pre-concieved bulletpoints on what makes something feminist or not.
Yes, um, well...
When Beyond:Two Souls came out, everyone online collectively shitted on the game and David Cage for being sexist and so forth. Yet, every girl I knew in real life who played it and a lot of women YouTube let's players loved it.
I hope you see the staggering irony here. You're effectively erasing the voices of all the women who have criticized David Cage.

I'm honestly amazed.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Can you give me a link to this forum because I have questions about this already? CA has a problem that people expect them to fill certain needs from each historical games they come out with. I don't really know what the mindset of CA on why or why not they choose the female generals that they did. I feel bad for the female fans that are disappointed about it.
I should note there are a lot more female generals in the game itself like Lady Wu and generic ones to that the player can get. The problem is that the two I mention before have unique art, while the others do not. There are female generals in the Yellow Turbans you can get but do not have special art.
Sorry but the forum I went to is an "invite only" one , but I'm guessing other french speaking forums centered around total war does have the same complaint . I dunno . The one I'm in ladies do speak out and flag themselves as ladies precisely because the forum is led by an all female maoderation team that makes it invite only .
But like I said any French speaking strategy game focused forum should do , I pretty much expect that on this precise case this will pour out given how mad they are on "the amazons creek" (translate in french you have the name of the place ) I'm also a non female fan who also wanted a Three Kingdom total war precisely for female generals and matriarchs , and I know I'm far from the only dude who is siding with the ladies on that question.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest, us dudes are inherently less well-equipped to be discussing these sorts of topics than women and non-binary folks are.

That's sort of the reason I'm subscribed to these threads. It gives me a place to sort out my thoughts on this sort of stuff and hopefully grow without the feeling of violating a more strictly-defined safe space. Of course, it would be ideal if women and non-binary folk were more in control of discussion in this thread, and that's clearly not the case.

I'm sorry if I've ever come across as taking this thread's metaphorical platform away from someone more qualified to discuss the topics at hand.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
No, I don't have that power. I don't think it's even technically feasible, and I know for sure that we wouldn't want that anyway.

Yes, um, well...

I hope you see the staggering irony here. You're effectively erasing the voices of all the women who have criticized David Cage.

I'm honestly amazed.

I'm didn't mean to, I'm more reffering to the sort of voices that dominated the media I watched at the time that discussed it.

A lot of women have shit on Cage as well and the man deserves it. I didn't mean to imply that all women like it at all. What I meant was that as I saw the game as sexist and assumed every women would dislike it in the same way.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but the forum I went to is an "invite only" one , but I'm guessing other french speaking forums centered around total war does have the same complaint . I dunno . The one I'm in ladies to speak out and flag themselves as ladies precisely because the forum is led by an all female maoderation team that makes it invite only .
But like I said any French speaking strategy game focused forum should do , I pretty much expect that on this precise case this will pour out given how mad they are on "the amazons creek" (translate in french you have the name of the place )
I will be honest and said I never interacted with the French forums for total war games and never really heard about the complaint about Yellow Turban part, but I have heard about female leaders in 3k in general.

Funny thing to note, Diaochan can be the Empress of China.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018

Yes, um, well...

I'm honestly amazed.
Thank God you chimed in , I was biting my tongue real hard ...

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I will be honest and said I never interacted with the French forums for total war games and never really heard about the complaint about Yellow Turban part, but I have heard about female leaders in 3k in general.

Funny thing to note, Diaochan can be the Empress of China.
Ummm will def have to check the game out then (boy can't pay day come soon enough on this one , especially since it has a day one linux release so I can play too today if I had the cash for it ) but yeah ladies are mad , some dudes are also more than a bit miffed . Although the reception of the game is more than glowing for any other aspect it's just big disappointement in terms of women representation here , because well this was the occasion ot have a truck load of ladies to play with for once .

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ummm will def have to check the game out then (boy can't pay day come soon enough on this one , especially since it has a day one linux release so I can play too today if I had the cash for it ) but yeah ladies are mad , some dudes are also more than a bit miffed . Although the reception of the game is more than glowing for any other aspect it's just big disappointement in terms of women representation here , because well this was the occasion ot have a truck load of ladies to play with for once .
It will be interesting to see your impression considering the knowledge you can beforehand with the french forum.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
It will be interesting to see your impression considering the knowledge you can beforehand with the french forum.
Oh trust me once I lay my hands on that sucker , if they are justified you won't hear the end of my rant . If they were going overboard because of initial disapoitnement I'll refelct that too. But yeah like I said I'm also one that feveroushly wanted a Three Kingdom Total War precisely to have female generals to play with like lots of them . (women played a big part in that time period even on the battlefield that's why people were just begging for it to happen )

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh trust me once I lay my hands on that sucker , if they are justified you'll won't hear the end of my rant . If they were going overboard because of initial disapoitnement I'll refelct that too. But yeah like I said I'm also one that feveroushly wanted a Three Kingdom Total War precisely to have female generals to play with like lots of them . (women played a big part in that time period even on the battlefield that's why people were just begging for it to happen )
Have fun!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

That might work in conjunction with "you need to have this many posts to post in this thread" (which to be honest is a feature I'd want for this very thread too), otherwise the only difference is that the throwaway accounts trolling them will have their gender set to "female".

Of course, both would need to be automated, otherwise it would just drive mods batshit crazy trying to enforce it...

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I'm not sure how many follow comics, but I wanted people's thought's on the recent backlash regarding Batgirl in the Hero's in Crisis series. In Hero's in Crisis you see many of DC's hero's and some villains, go into a confession like area where they discuss various trauma's they have experienced.
The issue is that some people see the below image as being inappropriately sexual as she is showing her bullet wounds. These being the wounds that Joker caused when he shot her and left her disabled for many years in the comics.

2019.01.03-09.09-boundingintocomics-5c2e7a02a94c0.png

Below is just a reference of how she looked when her new costume was revealed. Some have stated it wasn't so much the costume, but the style of the artist.
BG_Cv27.jpg

I will admit, personally I don't see it. And it didn't even cross my mind as sexual in any way.

Yeeeeah, the framing of it is, bleh, especially as they are dragging it out on a 9 panel grid lol. Doesn't help that this outfit feels like a downgrade from the previous outfit, which used leather, and wasn't as skin tight looking as this.

I think there was a full page shot of Lois Lane that people also noted in the same issue.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
It will still be a Total War game I'm bound to have fun ;)

But for the women in this thread unfamliar with that time period of Chinese history there were a lot of women on the battlefield like for real a truck load of them and some of them in high ranking commanding positions

Sure those legendary women do get some spotlight in Dynasty Warriors game but I think I don't have to explain to you in what kind of outfits they end up with in that series .
And in chinese and japanese made strategy games they tend to be straight up erased wholesale .
So when CA announced they were finally doing a Three Kingdoms title fans were overjoyed and wanted to have ALL OF THE LADIES . So maybe the initial reaction is more because their fave isn't there just yet . I'll have to check it out .
But hey at least judging by how the Bandit Queen is dressed up in the trailer and is in full on battle gear out to rip and tear I know CA did justice to those that are there already .
So TLDR , ShadowSwordmaster answer's lead me to think that maybe it's just a major case of "but my fave didn't make it though" (which sucks too ok don't get me wrong here )

Sun Shangxiang in a Dynasty Warrior game (and that's the tamest female design of theirs )
dc277eba5067ce8b320b07e253cbedf4.jpg

Bandit Queen in Total War :
LL3ngBiLrkPAU9bnWGepde.jpg

I think I don't need to say more ...

Last edited:

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Yeeeeah, the framing of it is, bleh, especially as they are dragging it out on a 9 panel grid lol. Doesn't help that this outfit feels like a downgrade from the previous outfit, which used leather, and wasn't as skin tight looking as this.

I think there was a full page shot of Lois Lane that people also noted in the same issue.
Yeah i agree her previous costume was much better. But this one kinda won me over. I guess for me i never saw anything sexual or sexy about this scene. It was just batgirl doing therapy like everyone else. Sex appeal was furthest from my mind because i know how and why she was shot. I basically had to get in the mindset of a person that would be able to think what she's doing is sexy. When in truth it's horrifying.

Also the nine panel grid was used for everyone that talked about their issues. Tho some you see them walk out the session.

Was that shot of Lois when she was in sleep wear?

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Yeah i agree her previous costume was much better. But this one kinda won me over. I guess for me i never saw anything sexual or sexy about this scene. It was just batgirl doing therapy like everyone else. Sex appeal was furthest from my mind because i know how and why she was shot. I basically had to get in the mindset of a person that would be able to think what she's doing is sexy. When in truth it's horrifying.

Also the nine panel grid was used for everyone that talked about their issues. Tho some you see them walk out the session.

You'd be amazed to see how many dudes just staight up don't read female characters bubbles when they pop up in a comic story ...

Joking aside if all characters are indeed framed from the same angle and a lot of them pass by before you get to batgirl I can see how this would not feel like the wanted intention by with the frames taken out of context , yeah it looks creepy to say the least .

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
It's not a huge element of game, but I like that in Observation the deuteragonist Emma is romantically linked with the supporting character Josh. A lesser game would've left her open and maybe even had her awkwardly flirt with the AI protagonist SAM (which would be supremely dumb considering spoilers I won't go into) and made the player's role a protective one. Instead, you're more tense, happenstance partners trying to help each other survive and make sense of a crazy, scary situation.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
The point isn't that Madoka itself as a work was bad, the problem was that its breakout success demonstrated there was a sizable older male market who would watch magical girl anime just because they enjoyed watching cute girls in frilly outfits suffering. Until then, the conventional wisdom was that there was only a very small market of pedos who would watch the shows out of prurient interest, but most shows were targeted at young girls, with Nanoha being the only real exception. Then other works followed trying to exploit the market Madoka opened, many without putting effort into being good magical girl shows, or good shows period. The worst of those are the ones that are just about the suffering.
Isn't it a bit of a hasty generalization to assume that most people who watched Madoka shows was just for "suffering", when it's more of the drama and struggles, and overcoming it. Not to mention you assume that all people who do want it to be pedophiles.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.

I just think with some of the shots there (like when she is standing up to turn around and the butt shot at the end), and how skin tight the suit is, I can see people's complaints, though this is the least of HiC's problems.

And yeah it was the full page shot of Lois in her sleep wear.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I just think with some of the shots there (like when she is standing up to turn around and the butt shot at the end), and how skin tight the suit is, I can see people's complaints, though this is the least of HiC's problems.

And yeah it was the full page shot of Lois in her sleep wear.
Yeah agree that they could have done the panels better for her. Especially the one you're mentioning. However i do understand what they meant to do. She's infront of a camera to show her wounds. Basically a frame by frame of her movement.

Last edited:

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
What is this pose? Who stands like that? And what the hell, those legs. That thigh cap, wtf. That's not human.

Kinda late, but actually Japanese girls (or more likely idols?) do stand like that from time to time.

E.g. here the second from the left and probably the one in the middle:

They are from AKB48, so I guess it's supposed to look cute.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
It will still be a Total War game I'm bound to have fun ;)

But for the women in this thread unfamliar with that time period of Chinese history there were a lot of women on the battlefield like for real a truck load of them and some of them in high ranking commanding positions
Is this really the case? As far as I know, the only women who are mentioned (in the novel) with much proximity to combat or command were Sun Ren with her female bodyguards and Zhu Rong, a fictional character. There's also Zheng Jiang in the historical record, but that's about it. Women just didn't figure much militarily during the Three Kingdoms period. Personally I'd love to see more prominent female figures in the game even if they're not strictly historical. And I'm sure that not only will CA add Zhu Rong in a Nanman DLC, they're going to have another DLC centered around women like the Daughters of Mars DLC.

Another route that I'd like to see is an expansion campaign set during one of the periods where women did play bigger roles. Something like Princess Pingyang during Li Yuan's rebellion against the Sui, or Xiao Yanyan during the Song-Liao wars, or maybe one of the White Lotus Rebellions. Overall, I'd say that women weren't horribly prominent on the battlefields of Chinese history. But there is so very much Chinese history out there, even a small bit of prominence will generate plenty of material to work with.

Mar 18, 2019
It should be noted, since SF5 keeps coming up as an example of "SEE?! HOT MALE CHARACTERS EXIST TOO." Capcom has gone on record to say that they were incredibly surprised by the reaction to Battle damaged Ryu.

Their intention was something along the lines of this and the reaction it gets:
a4eb2cbeabb31db1da3c44e3f6750531.png

not:
2ed1e3added3b76c126622d90f4e3066.gif

However, they were smart enough to not miss the opportunity to take advantage of the reaction. In other words.

"Hot Ryu" formally known as Battle Damaged Ryu was designed by straight men, for other straight men. And isn't an example of male objectification.
I see. Thanks for the explanation.

If the problem is that most of the character designers in the game industry are men. Then maybe a possible solution to the problem is for the game industry to hire more female character designers? If there was more female character designers working in the game industry, then I think there would be a lot more balance between how the genders are represented.

Also, what about JRPG male characters? A lot of them are usually designed to appeal to Japanese female audiences (and IIRC, many are also designed by Japanese female character designers). That's why so many of them look like J-pop or K-pop boyband members, in order to appeal to Japanese girls. And as a result, a lot of men (especially Western men) find JRPG male characters to be a turn-off (e.g. complaints about them looking effeminate or androgynous). Wouldn't that count as a form of male objectification? (At least from a Japanese perspective, where they have a different standard of male beauty compared to the West.)

Last edited:

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
There has been a number of female character designers in the industry. The problem is that they're still beholden to the directors and producers, who are usually male. Until we get more female upper management, characters are still going to be designed with men in mind.

Mar 18, 2019
There has been a number of female character designers in the industry. The problem is that they're still beholden to the directors and producers, who are usually male. Until we get more female upper management, characters are still going to be designed with men in mind.
Fair point. There's not many women working in senior positions for major game companies. The only one I can think of, off the top of my head, is probably Jade Raymond.

Mar 18, 2019
Yeah both "Hot Ryu" and "Hot Cody" were completly unintentional . Also they should have shut their mouth about it because on the flip side Arc System works jumped on the occasion to remind everyone that "if you want hot bishis and hot dudes in general in your fighitng game you ain't exactly knocking at the right door folks" .

Sorry had to precise about Hot Cody being a thing too , also it's always very revealing when one mentions Ryu but not Cody it shows they didn't discuss this topic with a woman or a gay/bi dude , because otherwise they'd lean way more on Cody rather than insisting on Ryu ...
I wasn't really aware "Hot Cody" was even a thing until quite recently, as I don't remember him getting anywhere near as much online meme attention as "Hot Ryu" did (maybe because "Hot Ryu" was a bigger surprise). But I can see why some women and gay/bi dudes might prefer Hot Cody's clean-cut "male stripper" look over Hot Ryu's gruff "daddy" look.

Either way, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. And this is especially true when it comes to cultural differences. For example, a typical Western standard of male beauty might be something like Brad Pitt, whereas a typical East-Asian standard of male beauty might be something more like BTS.

That's why I mentioned, in a post above, androgynous-looking JRPG male characters, a.k.a. "bishonen", who are intentionally designed to appeal to East-Asian female audiences, often at the expense of turning-off Western male audiences. So I think "bishonen" JRPG male characters can be considered a form of male objectification, targeted towards East-Asian females.

Last edited:

Zendex

Banned
May 19, 2019
Let's be honest, us dudes are inherently less well-equipped to be discussing these sorts of topics than women and non-binary folks are.

That's sort of the reason I'm subscribed to these threads. It gives me a place to sort out my thoughts on this sort of stuff and hopefully grow without the feeling of violating a more strictly-defined safe space. Of course, it would be ideal if women and non-binary folk were more in control of discussion in this thread, and that's clearly not the case.

I'm sorry if I've ever come across as taking this thread's metaphorical platform away from someone more qualified to discuss the topics at hand.

I wholeheartedly agree. As a non-binary male, I just wanted to write this post to let you know that despite being interested in the topic I won't ever interfere again with your discussions. Women shouldn't be felt threatened just by posting their opinion on a public forum. Have fun with this discussion and please continue to write! I will try to check it daily

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
I only lurk this thread because I don't really feel like my input is needed/don't generally feel comfortable posting in a thread that, yea, is about women's criticisms of character designs. I'm really glad it's a thread that exists though, it's one of a few I follow that feels a bit like a refuge from the rest of Era.

That said, I was so dumbstruck by this I immediately thought of this thread, so I hope it's okay to share this. I think someone posted about Metal Revolution in the thread earlier? A neat indie fighting game where all the characters are robots. Well, I just saw this on twitter:

"Let's take a moment to look back and see how Xophi-IX's design has changed since her first conception to her current version. One thing is clear: you don't wanna be on the wrong end of her gun!"

D8NZGnJUEAA40Yo.jpg:large

I laughed when I saw this, I'm just dying at this regression, plainly laid out. Like, how does this happen?

And then some artwork they also posted (nws)

D8ITe0LU0AA-vc7.jpg:large

It's a game about danged robots and people will still find a way.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I wasn't really aware "Hot Cody" was even a thing until quite recently, as I don't remember him getting anywhere near as much online meme attention as "Hot Ryu" did (maybe because "Hot Ryu" was a bigger surprise). But I can see why some women and gay/bi dudes might prefer Hot Cody's clean-cut "male stripper" look over Hot Ryu's gruff "daddy" look.

Either way, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. And this is especially true when it comes to cultural differences. For example, a typical Western standard of male beauty might be something like Brad Pitt, whereas a typical East-Asian standard of male beauty might be something more like BTS.

That's why I mentioned, in a post above, androgynous-looking JRPG male characters, a.k.a. "bishonen", who are intentionally designed to appeal to East-Asian female audiences, often at the expense of turning-off Western male audiences. So I think "bishonen" JRPG male characters can be considered a form of male objectification, targeted towards East-Asian females.
Bishis are only a turn off to straight dudes , and to gay dudes that are into hypermasculine looks ...
There's a reason why Yaoi/Bara stuff sells in western countries too (then again on that front Frenchies and Japanese tend to love the same kind of dudes sooo I'm a bit biased here :P )

Basiccally Hot Cody has been real popular around me and also around american friends living the in the US because of his costume where he is in his overalls . And it's not just a question of memeage it's a question of when I ask around me nobody gives a flipping damn about "Hot Ryu" , but "Hot Cody" I don't hear the end of it and even from people in the US , sooo again when dudes bring up "Hot Ryu" as an example of a design made to appeal to ladies , they are not only wrong on the intention it has been said time and again that this isn't what the designre wanted to convey, they are also wrong on what they assumes ladies wants , because ladies couldn't give two flipping shits about "Hot Ryu" but show them Cody in his overalls and now we're talking ...

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Is this really the case? As far as I know, the only women who are mentioned (in the novel) with much proximity to combat or command were Sun Ren with her female bodyguards and Zhu Rong, a fictional character. There's also Zheng Jiang in the historical record, but that's about it. Women just didn't figure much militarily during the Three Kingdoms period. Personally I'd love to see more prominent female figures in the game even if they're not strictly historical. And I'm sure that not only will CA add Zhu Rong in a Nanman DLC, they're going to have another DLC centered around women like the Daughters of Mars DLC.

Another route that I'd like to see is an expansion campaign set during one of the periods where women did play bigger roles. Something like Princess Pingyang during Li Yuan's rebellion against the Sui, or Xiao Yanyan during the Song-Liao wars, or maybe one of the White Lotus Rebellions. Overall, I'd say that women weren't horribly prominent on the battlefields of Chinese history. But there is so very much Chinese history out there, even a small bit of prominence will generate plenty of material to work with.
Most of the historical recccords are written by Han men , when you dive deeper and look what the other chinese cultures especially the semi nomadic matriarchal tribes (some which still exists today ) have written you see that the battlefields were not "male only" as the Hans were trying to portray so hardcore in their books . (let's not forget that then Hans litteraly genocides half of the matriarchys around them to rise to prominence ... ) In other words "you might wanna hear the non han point of view of what truly happened in that time period you'd be surprised how a lot of things do matchup but how many stuff doesn't , most notably on woman's presence during battles , and political positions ."

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017

If the problem is that most of the character designers in the game industry are men. Then maybe a possible solution to the problem is for the game industry to hire more female character designers? If there was more female character designers working in the game industry, then I think there would be a lot more balance between how the genders are represented.
Of course. But male designers can also stop being creeps too. :D

Also, what about JRPG male characters? A lot of them are usually designed to appeal to Japanese female audiences (and IIRC, many are also designed by Japanese female character designers). That's why so many of them look like J-pop or K-pop boyband members, in order to appeal to Japanese girls. And as a result, a lot of men (especially Western men) find JRPG male characters to be a turn-off (e.g. complaints about them looking effeminate or androgynous). Wouldn't that count as a form of male objectification? (At least from a Japanese perspective, where they have a different standard of male beauty compared to the West.)
No that's not objectification. Making attractive or visually appealing characters is not the same as making objectified characters, even if there can be overlap. Like, this guy might be an "attractive bishonen" but he's not sexualized, let alone objectified. Likewise, this is a very attractive woman, who is not objectified, even in her alt outfits (a huge improvement over how previous Resident Evil games treated their female characters with shit like this).

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
No that's not objectification. Making attractive or visually appealing characters is not the same as making objectified characters, even if there can be overlap. Like, this guy might be an "attractive bishonen" but he's not sexualized, let alone objectified. Likewise, this is a very attractive woman, who is not objectified, even in her alt outfits (a huge improvement over how previous Resident Evil games treated their female characters with shit like this).
Never played Resi 5 is that last picture the character that Sheva ? Please tell me it's not the canonical outfit . (not that it would make it less gaudy and gratuituous but I hope that she at least has a canonical outfit that's not like that )

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Never played Resi 5 is that last picture the character that Sheva ? Please tell me it's not the canonical outfit . (not that it would make it less gaudy and gratuituous but I hope that she at least has a canonical outfit that's not like that )
No, that's an alt costume, fortunately. Sheva's default outfit is this. Not quite how I'd expect a merc to dress lol, but at least it's tasteful.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Yes.

It depends on how far the objectification is. Just having an attractive face is not objectification, it's several factors. See how comic book movies frame their male characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.