• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2019
Another bit: Tae "Doctor Death" Takemi was supposed to look rougher around the edges, like a back alley doctor running barely legal procedures in a shady clinic should look like.

Hashino shot down the idea and told Soejima to make her more "cute" because looking "cute" is seemingly the most important thing about a female character and trumps everything else.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Another bit: Tae "Doctor Death" Takemi was supposed to look rougher around the edges, like a back alley doctor running barely legal procedures in a shady clinic should look like.

Hashino shot down the idea and told Soejima to make her more "cute" because looking "cute" is seemingly the most important thing about a female character and trumps everything else.
So sick of that attitude. Blatant objectification.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

From the art book
DOLbjOBVoAEHNi9.jpg

May 13, 2019
That quote is every as bad as I remember it. Yuk.

Lastly and take this with a grain of salt but during an interview, Hashino allegedly blamed the artstyle of series character designer Kazuma Kaneko on the lack of mainstream popularity of SMT, claiming it wasn't "cute" enough to appeal to the masses.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017

I mean. Isnt this is the guy saying he's never had a female friendship before, or something like that?

That quote is every as bad as I remember it. Yuk.

Lastly and take this with a grain of salt but during an interview, Hashino allegedly blamed the artstyle of series character designer Kazuma Kaneko on the lack of mainstream popularity of SMT, claiming it wasn't "cute" enough to appeal to the masses.
If that's true, he's probably salty that his art will never come close to being as great as Kaneko's work.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
The more I hear about the director of Persona 5 the happier I am he is gone. Maybe the next game will have women who are not written as possible love interests first and characters second.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Unfortunately, "cute" seems to be a big selling point to many so I can somewhat understand why he would think that. Atleast when it comes to female characters, not so much on male obviously. Though luckily games that don't doll up all their women also find great commercial success, so hopefully this is leading to even less pandering in the future. I was just immediately reminded about the asinine HZD Aloy complaints. Or more recently the Aeris design complaints in the FF7 remake. The people who made an issue about either of those are definitely in the small minority, it's just that they can still be very loud and hence hard to completely ignore.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I am currently playing through Persona 5. Based on her prominence in art style, I think Ann is supposed to be the "main" female character of the game but she definitely gets pushed aside by Makoto and later Futaba, at least in terms of the main overall story. Once her primary story arc is completed, she's just kinda there for the ride. Which is a shame because I do like her as a character and her personal arc with Shiho is one of the better ones in the game. I just wish she contributed more in the main story. Granted, this is a problem with a lot of RPGs and it is certainly true in Persona 5. Multiple party members just don't contribute too much other than the fact that they are Phantom Thieves.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Does it matter that they are in high heels? Looking at the gameplay it doesn't seem to be that noticeable based on locations i've seen. There is usually some type of object blocks the view of their legs. With it only really being seen during the battles, however even then it's not the focus. Unless you are just actively looking at their feet when fighting. I would say from what I've seen it would have been nice to see more body types for the women. Additionally, I don't believe "boob armor" is inherently a bad thing.
Wear one during a fencing match rapier to rapier and trust me you'll change your tune real quick about boob armor ...
And again it's distracting and takes you out of the game .

May 13, 2019
Unfortunately, "cute" seems to be a big selling point to many so I can somewhat understand why he would think that. Atleast when it comes to female characters, not so much on male obviously. Though luckily games that don't doll up all their women also find great commercial success, so hopefully this is leading to even less pandering in the future. I was just immediately reminded about the asinine HZD Aloy complaints. Or more recently the Aeris design complaints in the FF7 remake. The people who made an issue about either of those are definitely in the small minority, it's just that they can still be very loud and hence hard to completely ignore.
Pretty much. I mean, just look at the Persona series. What started as an obscure spinoff of an niche franchise is now a million seller and a household name that somehow managed to get featured in Super Smash Bros of all the things.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Pretty much. I mean, just look at the Persona series. What started as an obscure spinoff of an niche franchise is now a million seller and a household name that somehow managed to get featured in Super Smash Bros of all the things.
That is not simply due to the attractiveness of the game's women! It's stylish, it tells a story people enjoy, it has sick music, it reviewed really well, and so on. There are many reasons it became popular.

You can have that doctor character look more off-putting while keeping the stylishness of the game intact. Besides that, Ann and others would still be "cute," even if the doctor wasn't.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I am currently playing through Persona 5. Based on her prominence in art style, I think Ann is supposed to be the "main" female character of the game but she definitely gets pushed aside by Makoto and later Futaba, at least in terms of the main overall story. Once her primary story arc is completed, she's just kinda there for the ride. Which is a shame because I do like her as a character and her personal arc with Shiho is one of the better ones in the game. I just wish she contributed more in the main story. Granted, this is a problem with a lot of RPGs and it is certainly true in Persona 5. Multiple party members just don't contribute too much other than the fact that they are Phantom Thieves.

She had, by far, the best arc in the first palace, and then becomes the source of some easy jokes and fanservice for the rest of the game. The funny thing is, if she wasn't just mandated to be a potential love interest for the MC, there were some interesting possible stories for her. I would have loved to see her have more interactions with Sakura, as one trauma victim to another. Or even her relationship with Ryuji could have been interesting to expand upon. Instead, she just enters a holding pattern after chapter one and never really does anything other than be sexualized and fade into the background.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Wear one during a fencing match rapier to rapier and trust me you'll change your tune real quick about boob armor ...
And again it's distracting and takes you out of the game .
I mean i wouldn't wear it it real life, which doesn't really effect the use of it in fiction.I personally don't have a hard line against it's use, but admit it can be distracting depending on how it's drawn. Guess I'm just lucky that things like that generally don't take me out the game.

It not like their personal story are bad but when compare to how they are with the main story makes you question where they do fit in. It also counters how the characters (specially the female characters) are presented in their side stories and how they are in the main. Like how they grow in the side where some main plot points put them in pretty silly situations like the desert van scene.

That is not simply due to the attractiveness of the game's women! It's stylish, it tells a story people enjoy, it has sick music, it reviewed really well, and so on. There are many reasons it became popular.

You can have that doctor character look more off-putting while keeping the stylishness of the game intact. Besides that, Ann and others would still be "cute," even if the doctor wasn't.
There is a degree of the moe effect even when suppose to be sexy, beautiful, or any sort of style while keeping the interest of certain audiences preference. It obviously leads to lacking of differences between characters and can lead to a same face effect that many Japanese games fall into.

Speaking of boob armor what everyone thoughs on Saber from the Fate series

I always felt it was both practical designs at least the with top area to swing her sword while being a interesting design to look at. It also helps that the chest piece isn't conforming.
Also here Saber in a suit cause it just cool.
WTcjCJR.gif

Last edited:

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Should be noted that the damnsel in distress of the trailer is named FRAGILE and the women in glasses (which looks like Lena Luthor) is named MAMA

So lets not congratulate him before time =P

And when you point that out, we have people crying and wetting themselves as you dare question something from God Kojima

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I always felt it was both practical designs at least the with top area to swing her sword while being a interesting design to look at. It also helps that the chest piece isn't conforming.
FSN Saber is fine by me. Her armor, casual clothes in Stay Night and suit in Zero fit her and look practical. Even Alter armor is fine.

It is a shame what they have done to her in the gacha game.

Although there is another Saber that I like.

gb7k346htox01.gif

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019

WTcjCJR.gif
The original saber design is iconic and just straightup great in my opinion, it looks very practical while also representing her very well as a character.

Can't say the same about the Red Saber from Fate Extra though...
KjpSy6O.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The original saber design is iconic and just straightup great in my opinion, it looks very practical while also representing her very well as a character.

Saber of Red of Apocrypha is also... quite an interesting character.

When she wears her armor, it completely covers her body.

Then she takes off her armor and... well... Let's say it is worse than Red Saber.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019

Then she takes off her armor and... well... Let's say it is worse than Red Saber.

Yeah I wanted to cover her as well but hey apocrypha has planet sized larger problems like loli Jack the ripper in a thong.

The fanservice with Saber of Red as a whole was pretty appaling bc even her casual outfits were like her without armor clothing and the camera made sure at every possible moment you were paying attention to that, it was ugh...

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wanted to cover her as well but hey apocrypha has planet sized larger problems like loli Jack the ripper in a thong.

The fanservice with Saber of Red as a whole was pretty appaling bc even her casual outfits were like her without armor clothing and the camera made sure at every possible moment you were paying attention to that, it was ugh...
Ugh, I had completely forgotten Black Assassin. Some part of me wanted to pretend that character didn't exist.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Original Saber's design is so far above every other Fate character I've seen it honestly feels like a fluke. Sometimes I wonder if they think it's a fluke with how many characters they make up that are excuses to put Saber in different outfits.

Feels like they weren't sure if they wanted Mordred to be more boyish but still have sort of female design. She generally cool, a rough character who struggles being in the shadow of their father.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Its mostly the spinoffs that tend to have this problem, most of the stuff directly written by Nasu has fairly respectable designs like anything from tsukihime or the original fate visual novels.
I think the only exception is Rider.

That said, she looks great wearing casual clothes.

tumblr_p7y0k0bZl81uqu8sho1_500.gif

Feels like they weren't sure if they wanted Mordred to be more boyish but still have sort of female design. She generally cool, a rough character who struggles being in the shadow of their father.
Of the mess that was Apocrypha, Mordred and her master were one of the few characters that I liked, even with that terrible outfit. If those two were the protagonists, I may have enjoyed it. Poor Astolfo can't carry on his own the anime.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Its mostly the spinoffs that tend to have this problem, most of the stuff directly written by Nasu has fairly respectable designs like anything from tsukihime or the original fate visual novels.
Kind of funny considering the originals were H games. You'd think the game with less sex would be the one with less pandering designs, not the other way around.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
latest
This example in particular is actually a sensible breast plate because it doesn't draw the cleavage and is actual full plate that woud actually defelect a blade attack rather than helping an attempt at piercing the breast bone .
Boob armor applies when the boobs are circled around as if it was a bra because it creates not only a structural weakness but would guide a piercing thrust into said weakness .
So the design you've shown is what SHOULD be done . An angle down flat platform , then curving down to further deflect away the blade. So its an ideal design, if a bit too tightly pressed on her . A pommel strike would hurt like a bitch, on such a "glued to skin" design. But shape wise it's the exact opposite of boob armor .

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

KjpSy6O.png

This design kills me a little every time i see it. Or, rather, I feel like I lose a few IQ points when I see it. xD

Or that time she gets captured and posed up like this
9EWD3l.jpg

(which would actually be traumatizing if I didn't find it served a more dubious purpose to its audience) (IIRC this was an H-scene originally...but)

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
This design kills me a little every time i see it. Or, rather, I feel like I lose a few IQ points when I see it. xD

Or that time she gets captured and posed up like this
9EWD3l.jpg

(which would actually be traumatizing if I didn't find it served a more dubious purpose to its audience) (IIRC this was an H-scene originally...but)
As a note, those are different characters

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
If that's true, he's probably salty that his art will never come close to being as great as Kaneko's work.
Pretty sure Hashino was never an illustrator. As someone who enjoys Kaneko, Soejima, and Doi's work in respect to Atlus' artists, I could picture it being the case of Kaneko's work potentially having less mainstream appeal with human character designs. Even then though, it seems dense for Hashino suggest that it's because it's not cute enough, inaccurate to say that artstyle alone is why SMT isn't as popular, and crappy for him to be throwing a co-worker under the bus like that (especially when Kaneko's work makes up the bulk of the eponymous Personas in the trilogy with which Hashino found so much success).

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Women usually do. >_>

Some FF14 stuff
male-bunny-suit-final-fantasy-xiv.jpg
I think that only came after endless "why can't my twink wear a bunny suit" complaints
Kind of funny considering the originals were H games. You'd think the game with less sex would be the one with less pandering designs, not the other way around.
The original also came out in the early 2000's before the secret ingredient of really bad outfits, er objectified characters were added into everything looking for a quick horny buck

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I've been watching videos of Persona Q2 and it seems the game continues the running gag from Persona 5 about Ann anbd to a lesser degree Makoto being embarrassed of their Phantom outfits. I recall somebody on this thread pointing out that this doesn't make sense: the outfits are supposed to symbolize the Phantom Thieves' "rebellious hearts" so why they would make the girls uncomfortable?

Then I found out that's not the case, at least not Ann's.

Apparently, in the Persona 5 artbook, Hashino commented that Ann isn't wearing her outfit by her own volition, that sometimes the Metaverse will arbitrary choose a getup for a person. He pretty much said he thought that it would be "cute" if Ann was embarrassed by her red latex suit.

Boo, that's lame and it makes her really unrelatable.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I've been watching videos of Persona Q2 and it seems the game continues the running gag from Persona 5 about Ann anbd to a lesser degree Makoto being embarrassed of their Phantom outfits. I recall somebody on this thread pointing out that this doesn't make sense: the outfits are supposed to symbolize the Phantom Thieves' "rebellious hearts" so why they would make the girls uncomfortable?

Then I found out that's not the case, at least not Ann's.

Apparently, in the Persona 5 artbook, Hashino commented that Ann isn't wearing her outfit by her own volition, that sometimes the Metaverse will arbitrary choose a getup for a person. He pretty much said he thought that it would be "cute" if Ann was embarrassed by her red latex suit.
Isn't the whole point of the series being called Persona to take the Jungian theories on the persona to the absolute extreme and create a story about it anymore ? Am I missing some shit here ?
(at least the first threee that was the idea and the whole theme )

May 13, 2019
Isn't the whole point of the series being called Persona to take the Jungian theories on the persona to the absolute extreme and create a story about it anymore ? Am I missing some shit here ?
(at least the first threee that was the idea and the whole theme )
The jungian stuff is still here more or less. So do instances of Hashino being a creep that shoves his prejudices (homophobia, transphobia, sexism) into the games. That is what I was commenting on my post.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
The jungian stuff is still here more or less. So do instances of Hashino being a creep that shoves his prejudices (homophobia, transphobia, sexism) into the games. That is what I was commenting on my post.
Relax I know
I was just adding to yours because his explanation is ... well ... beyond stupid because it breaks with the narrative logic and self imposed rules of the setup , either everyone when they take off the mask reveal their true selves or they don't .
Like seriously this dude lost sight of the themes just for a "goof" ...

To a degree Ann outfit would represent her dominatrix persona as she like the female villains in shows and want to be like one. Of course the would have been written by a person who was willing to dive deep into characters.

What does the art book say about Makoto, Haru, and Futaba?

May 13, 2019
Relax I know
I was just adding to yours because his explanation is ... well ... beyond stupid because it breaks with the narrative logic and self imposed rules of the setup , either everyone when they take off the mask reveal their true selves or they don't .
Like seriously this dude lost sight of the themes just for a "goof" ...
My bad. I misread your post.

But yeah, Hashino seemingly cares more about putting jokes about predatory homosexuals and shoving girls into revealing outfits against their will than the main themes of the series.

To a degree Ann outfit would represent her dominatrix persona as she like the female villains in shows and want to be like one. Of course the would have been written by a person who was willing to dive deep into characters.

What does the art book say about Makoto, Haru, and Futaba?
The whip is, like, the one thing she actually likes about her outfit.

What I recall about Futaba is that she was originally envisioned as a dark haired girl but it was deemed too cliché. So she was given long orange hair to contrast her personality of a suicidal shut-in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.