• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Marvel would ever do a She Hulk movie. Probably just a supporting character in a Hulk movie.

There are rumblings that they're going to make a hulks show on Disney plus that has She Hulk as the lead. Ruffalo seems on board. Time will tell though they have...too many projects out there right now with Ghost Rider being added to the mix.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so after having read this I get and agree with the artist's sentiment, but the specific Marvel/Disney comparison is a really deep level of "grass is always greener" shit.

They're mostly just lamenting that Marvel and Disney are able to go for a more mainstream appeal whereas most of anime is still stuck subsisting on otaku money. A far as I understand it, that's partly due to larger macroeconomic forces in Japan, i.e., Japan not having as much of a mainstream entertainment market to speak of. The same trend happened in anime, video games, and even the music industry with the latter relying on the whole idol system. Many developers and artists themselves feel like they're stuck because going outside that otaku audience is too much of a risk. The artist herself in the article has really just worked on Doreamon and Pokemon -- two of the most mainstream anime/game properties in Japan, and you can see the huge contrast between them and the otaku stuff.

The Switch is replacing the Vita as the go to for questionable games on the go so honestly that isn't a surprise.

What is a surprise is that Conception somehow got an anime...EIGHT years after it's initial release.

How. Why. Who thought a game about having so many babies with different women in the name of eugenics was a good idea? Who thought than that 8 years later an anime of that would be good? Why?

Yeah, it's apparent now that whatever system becomes popular in Japan -- usually a dedicated handheld now, will be the one that gets the otaku games. You can't even really blame Nintendo. That's just what a lot of its home market is now, and it's even pandering a bit to that market with Fire Emblem. The more mainstream non-otaku Japanese games are probably mostly on mobile now.

When I look at Conception itself (I think I played a demo or something), I see some kind of deep-seeded concern about Japan's falling birthrate and the anxieties of the increasing numbers of young men who can't get girlfriends for various reasons. That's probably what's behind A LOT of the otaku shit but Conception seems to go for it particularly hard.

the Switch has a ton of pervy/fan-servicey crap on it. and it's not just crummy games getting that treatment. i've been playing Labyrinth of Refrain lately, which is pretty great as far as DRPGs go (so relaxing, love the adventuring). But the early game and character creation screens are all about butts, breasts, and bare skin (male and female characters, but still). It's obnoxious as hell. Would love to see Disgaea games without sexualized lolis and ribbon bikinis. Some of the humor is OK and I dig the absurdity of the project, but good God is the pervy stuff boring and terrible.

I have only played one game on the Switch when a friend lent me Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and his system. I managed 30 hours of the cringe but couldn't take anymore so I guess I shouldn't be too shocked.

Disgaea is where my eyes started really opening to creepy game designs actually, I wouldn't say I hadn't seen them before but it's where I really started taking notice growing up and realising I had no interest in that creepy shit. Especially as it was my first SRPG since Shining Force one of my all time favorite series which has amazing designs compared with that loli stuff....ugh. I didn't get far.

I think Disgaea started up around the beginning of when otaku games really started to take over JRPGs. It was like, the tail end of the PS2 when those games started to become really prominent.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
When I look at Conception itself (I think I played a demo or something), I see some kind of deep-seeded concern about Japan's falling birthrate and the anxieties of the increasing numbers of young men who can't get girlfriends for various reasons. That's probably what's behind A LOT of the otaku shit but Conception seems to go for it particularly hard.
I wonder if it has a part demonizing women who don't have children.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Decent ninja like character? I have to go with Jun from PoE:

roman-kupriyanov-marakethquestgiver-finished.jpg

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You know why.

Comics aren't nearly as progressive as some people would claim them to be.

We live in a world where Captain Marvel's best origin story is an engine exploding space magic onto her, and it's the only one that isn't inherently sexist.
It's best to follow the writers and artists you trust. The stuff you're looking for in comics is out there. If you need a start just look at the Eisners. They typically nominate books that push the medium forward.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
You know why.

Comics aren't nearly as progressive as some people would claim them to be.

We live in a world where Captain Marvel's best origin story is an engine exploding space magic onto her, and it's the only one that isn't inherently sexist.
You can certainly find more progressive stuff once you look outside DC and Marvel. Check out graphic novels by Image Comics or IDW Publishing.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Awww man i used to like that galactica comic :/ i didnt see the themes kike that til you made the post.

Same. At the time I thought it was a fun spin on superpowered teen girl and even giving her a real Twitter for a while. I think only read the first couple of issues. Reading about it, I always thought the tapeworm=pregnant was such a weird way to go but, yeah... can't unsee the anti-abortion angle now. Design also looks worse than I remember. It really was Marvel trying to make a waifu from Galactus wasn't it?

Return of the tit ninjas to Samurai Shodown, with Shiki's announcement:

latest

Worse depictions are abound, but I'm not fond of this fanservicey design.

That led me to the idea of what makes a good kunoichi (translator's note: kunoichi means female ninja). Any that come to mind? Who are your favorite women ninja in video games that are tastefully done?

Initially, I'm glad they didn't end up changing her too much. I was SURE they'd cut up her outfit to show more side boob. From the trailer there's no obnoxious jiggle either. But as Static_Void pointed out, she's now got heel sandals. Huh? Honestly the more I look at her footwear, the less it makes sense. It almost looks like she's wearing a boot underneath sandals (but then what about her toes? I guess the shading is throwing me off). I mean I guess it's better than the heels Senri Kita originally designed her with but it was one of her first character designs after all.

shiki-concept-sketches2.jpg

I still dig Shiki tbh. I think she's on the line between seductive assassin while not going full titninja (unlike Mai or Taki). Just imho.

Also speaking of favorite kunoichi, outside a dumb lack of pants, I wish Capcom would bring back Maki. Really enjoyed her in Final Fight 2 and was ecstatic to see her in CVS2.

maki-finalfight2-hq-artwork.png

It sucks that her CVS2 artwork is great but for the SFV database thing they just made her blonde Mai

sfv-concept-art-maki.jpg

Hmm, if this is how they'd show her in a new game, I better take it back.

Arya Shulk was pretty great, but yeah, most people abhored the art design in it. I thought it was neat and a really needed change of pace from what the She Hulk books are, which shift between Jen being a NYC socialite and a giant rage monster.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys. There's something about the in-book art that's just... offputting to me, even though what I read, I thought was great! On a related but different note, Unbreatable Squirrel Girl is great (artstyle and all) but it's sad to see those degenerative "SJW MARVEL" people who say it doesn't look sexy/anime enough. :/

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend Snotgirl, Deadly Class, and PTSD if you're looking for interesting female characters in comics.

rfDwwO1.jpg
RmpU3aj.jpg

sLLJATY.jpg

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Don't y'all think there is a place for some dumb fan servicey comics? I've got Marvel unlimited so I can read anything, and do read most comics marvel puts out (6 months later), and while the titles I like most and look forward to are ones like Avengers, X-men Red, Ms Marvel, Amazing Spider-Man, etc but I can't help but enjoy some of the cheese/beefcake stuff like Rogue and Gambit (which continued into Mr & Mrs X).

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
still can't believe it was chris claremont of all people who was like "yeah that was really fucked up"

Wait, just stumbled on this and I'm curious what you mean here? Claremont was like THE most progressive comics writer of that era by far... he seems like exactly the writer to call that out, I'd think?

EDIT, 5/26: notifications broken for ya? 😠

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't y'all think there is a place for some dumb fan servicey comics? I've got Marvel unlimited so I can read anything, and do read most comics marvel puts out (6 months later), and while the titles I like most and look forward to are ones like Avengers, X-men Red, Ms Marvel, Amazing Spider-Man, etc but I can't help but enjoy some of the cheese/beefcake stuff like Rogue and Gambit (which continued into Mr & Mrs X).
If it's done tastefully, sure. Rogue and Gambit are a couple. It's normal for them to have sexual chemistry but it's presented as playful and equal. It doesn't feel gratuitous and one-sided and it probably has to do with the book having a female writer. We're so used to seeing what guys in comics think is sexy that women rarely get a chance to show what's sexy to them.

IceFireTerry

Mar 17, 2018
since we are talking comic book characters being sexualized here is an ironic one. their is this x-men Character call Dust she is a Afghani woman in a Burka but in some of the art they somehow made a burka form fitting
3841637-dust_%28uc%29.jpg

no all are like that but still XD. Kamala Khan's outfit is great though
3580100-all-newmarvelnowpointone001-032.jpg

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How about Ayame from Suikoden 3?

elPklbA.jpg

I looove Fumi Ishikawa.

She still drew some very sexy girls (the difference is a lot of female artists won't pose them like they need to be fucked), but overall had astounding designs for a variety of characters... which, I mean, you NEED when you're drawing over 108 unique characters. o_O

Chris was a gorgeous character.

latest

EDIT: MORE

latest
latest
latest

gorgeous <3

Last edited:

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I looove Fumi Ishikawa.

She still drew some very sexy girls (the difference is a lot of female artists won't pose them like they need to be fucked), but overall had astounding designs for a variety of characters... which, I mean, you NEED when you're drawing over 108 unique characters. o_O

latest

Yeah, the artist is fantastic and I wonder what she's up to now. To have done two games of 108 characters each and have all the characters be so dang well designed, and varied? Rare talent.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're mostly just lamenting that Marvel and Disney are able to go for a more mainstream appeal whereas most of anime is still stuck subsisting on otaku money. A far as I understand it, that's partly due to larger macroeconomic forces in Japan, i.e., Japan not having as much of a mainstream entertainment market to speak of. The same trend happened in anime, video games, and even the music industry with the latter relying on the whole idol system. Many developers and artists themselves feel like they're stuck because going outside that otaku audience is too much of a risk. The artist herself in the article has really just worked on Doreamon and Pokemon -- two of the most mainstream anime/game properties in Japan, and you can see the huge contrast between them and the otaku stuff.

Yeah, it's apparent now that whatever system becomes popular in Japan -- usually a dedicated handheld now, will be the one that gets the otaku games. You can't even really blame Nintendo. That's just what a lot of its home market is now, and it's even pandering a bit to that market with Fire Emblem. The more mainstream non-otaku Japanese games are probably mostly on mobile now.

I think Disgaea started up around the beginning of when otaku games really started to take over JRPGs. It was like, the tail end of the PS2 when those games started to become really prominent.

lol what? Not only is that woman wrong but she's talking bullshit. Otaku are the main public of all of those medium for decades and sexualization exists at the very least since the 70s. It didn't had to have Evangelion for those people to exist and buy things, they exist since the 80s at the very least. Even on kids series, a huge part of it is bought in merchandise by otaku going from Pokémon to Precure and the same obviously is true with games going from Monster Hunter to Splatoon. They're on everything spending their money, not just in things with sexualization.

Aside from this, she and other still continue to insist that otaku need sexual things when there's hundreds of successful series without it or at the very least with something smaller which we can see in manga (which of course, it's always ignored in those arguments as the sales are much bigger than anime in units so a narrative can't be made), as well as those people aren't a hivemind that thinks the same and have different opinions. Shows like Yuru Camp, Zombieland Saga, Yuri on Ice, Idolize, Idolmaster SideM, Attack on Titan and other products that are very successful. It's not just because there's no sexualization or almost none that otaku aren't buying it. If there was no sexualization in any market.

And as anime basically exists as a medium for cross media for the main property since the mid 70s from other medium like manga and novels (later on, games, light novels, etc), anime is very dependent and influenced on the content which will be adapted to construct the medium per se. At the end of the day, what exists on anime from it's inception to this very day is by the majority of the cases, due to adaptations going from genres to designs to artstyle and stories as the quantity of adaptation per year is like 95% compared to original series. And of course, adaptations will exist because the companies involved want to boost every one of their industries and products, which is why adaptation is the majority, which is why there's funding for the existence of them and it's why there's 300 anime being made per year since the 2010s with huge or big japanese companies (or chinese like bilibili or american like crunchyroll) funding their creation in a committee system. But this is for another story.

"The more mainstream non-otaku Japanese games are probably mostly on mobile now."

If anything it's the contrary. Many of the otaku came to mobile and abandoned handhelds and consoles, much like franchises made the transition. Those were the games with more revenue in the market in 2018, which is yet again only behind China which is the first in mobile.
  1. Monster Strike - 130.2 billion yen - XFLAG
  2. Fate/Grand Order - 120.4 billion yen - Aniplex
  3. Knives Out-Tokyo Royale - 73.7 billion yen - NetEase
  4. Puzzle & Dragons - 70 billion yen - GungHo Online
  5. Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle - 46.1 billion yen - Bandai Namco Entertainment
  6. Granblue Fantasy - 33.9 billion yen - Cygames
  7. Pokémon GO - 32.1 billion yen - Niantic
  8. Power Pros - 30.3 billion yen - Konami
  9. LINE: Disney Tsum Tsum - 29.2 billion yen - LINE Corporation
  10. Blazing dance of civil war -KIZNA- - 27.9 billion yen - Sumzap Inc.
  11. LINE Manga - 27.3 billion yen - LINE Corporation
  12. LINE - 27.3 billion yen - LINE Corporation
  13. Professional Baseball Spirits - 25.3 billion yen - Konami
  14. The Idolmaster: Cinderella Girls Starlight Stage - 22.5 billion yen - Bandai Namco Entertainment
  15. Bang Dream! Girls Band Party! - 22.1 billion yen - Craft Egg
  16. White Cat Project - 21.3 billion yen - Colopl
  17. Lineage 2 Revolution - 19.7 billion yen - Netmarble games
  18. Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 - 15.7 billion yen - Konami
  19. Star Dragon Quest - 15.6 billion yen - Square Enix
  20. LINE Poko Poko - 15.2 billion yen - LINE
The rest of the top 100 is in the link below.
http://game-i.daa.jp/?2018年アプリ収益予測

Aside from that, this definition of otaku is such a mess. If you say as an adult that you play Dragon Quest, people will think that you're otaku. Same for watching anime, reading manga or anything that is related. It doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman (which is why there's 45% of women out there). Same thing happens for teenagers where they will be called an otaku for doing the same things. Doesn't even matter if they call themselves one or not, this is what will happen. People really focus on otaku and sexual things but at the end of the day, otaku is basically just a definition for nerd in japanese with different people and tastes.

And not entirely related but it amazes me that people really ignores that japanese medium is probably the one with the most focus on female public out there, which is of course, also otaku. With manga, you have a huge bunch of manga from shoujo and josei magazines, in light novels you have entire imprints focused on female market, in games you have idol simulators with male idols much like it happens with men along otome games and so on, there's of course dramas and anime, which unfortunately the last is the only thing that seems to always matter in the west. lol But even in anime where the quantity of shoujo manga adaptations is low and josei is zero on pretty much all seasons, there's always adaptations of mobile games or just idol anime focused on girls like Idolize, Idolmaster SideM, B-Project, King of Prism, Starmiyu and others.
As for why there's few shoujo and josei manga adaptations in anime.. Aside from the fact that their magazine and manga are less popular than seinen and shounen ones, those mostly will get adaptations on dramas or movies instead, even more on the case of Josei. This is due to the fact that Josei magazines and manga are focused on women and the main buyers are women over 30, with many of them being housewives or working on corporations. Due to the public being much older and also because the stories are realistic for it's huge part of series, the investment on cross media is instead made on those other mediums, even more because the majority don't like to watch animation.

Last edited:

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
lol what? Not only is that woman wrong but she's talking bullshit. Otaku are the main public of all of those medium for decades and sexualization exists at the very least since the 70s. It didn't had to have Evangelion for those people to exist and buy things, they exist since the 80s at the very least. Even on kids series, a huge part of it is bought in merchandise by otaku going from Pokémon to Precure and the same obviously is true with games going from Monster Hunter to Splatoon. They're on everything spending their money, not just in things with sexualization.

Aside from this, she and other still continue to insist that otaku need sexual things when there's hundreds of successful series without it or at the very least with something smaller which we can see in manga (which of course, it's always ignored in those arguments as the sales are much bigger than anime in units so a narrative can't be made), as well as those people aren't a hivemind that thinks the same and have different opinions. Shows like Yuru Camp, Zombieland Saga, Yuri on Ice, Idolize, Idolmaster SideM, Attack on Titan and other products that are very successful. It's not just because there's no sexualization or almost none that otaku aren't buying it. If there was no sexualization in any market.

And as anime basically exists as a medium for cross media for the main property since the mid 70s from other medium like manga and novels (later on, games, light novels, etc), anime is very dependent and influenced on the content which will be adapted to construct the medium per se. At the end of the day, what exists on anime from it's inception to this very day is by the majority of the cases, due to adaptations going from genres to designs to artstyle and stories as the quantity of adaptation per year is like 95% compared to original series. And of course, adaptations will exist because the companies involved want to boost every one of their industries and products, which is why adaptation is the majority, which is why there's funding for the existence of them and it's why there's 300 anime being made per year since the 2010s with huge or big japanese companies (or chinese like bilibili or american like crunchyroll) funding their creation in a committee system. But this is for another story.

"The more mainstream non-otaku Japanese games are probably mostly on mobile now."

If anything it's the contrary. Many of the otaku came to mobile and abandoned handhelds and consoles, much like franchises made the transition. Those were the games with more revenue in the market in 2018, which is yet again only behind China which is the first in mobile.
  1. Monster Strike - 130.2 billion yen - XFLAG
  2. Fate/Grand Order - 120.4 billion yen - Aniplex
  3. Knives Out-Tokyo Royale - 73.7 billion yen - NetEase
  4. Puzzle & Dragons - 70 billion yen - GungHo Online
  5. Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle - 46.1 billion yen - Bandai Namco Entertainment
  6. Granblue Fantasy - 33.9 billion yen - Cygames
  7. Pokémon GO - 32.1 billion yen - Niantic
  8. Power Pros - 30.3 billion yen - Konami
  9. LINE: Disney Tsum Tsum - 29.2 billion yen - LINE Corporation
  10. Blazing dance of civil war -KIZNA- - 27.9 billion yen - Sumzap Inc.
  11. LINE Manga - 27.3 billion yen - LINE Corporation
  12. LINE - 27.3 billion yen - LINE Corporation
  13. Professional Baseball Spirits - 25.3 billion yen - Konami
  14. The Idolmaster: Cinderella Girls Starlight Stage - 22.5 billion yen - Bandai Namco Entertainment
  15. Bang Dream! Girls Band Party! - 22.1 billion yen - Craft Egg
  16. White Cat Project - 21.3 billion yen - Colopl
  17. Lineage 2 Revolution - 19.7 billion yen - Netmarble games
  18. Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 - 15.7 billion yen - Konami
  19. Star Dragon Quest - 15.6 billion yen - Square Enix
  20. LINE Poko Poko - 15.2 billion yen - LINE
The rest of the top 100 is in the link below.
http://game-i.daa.jp/?2018年アプリ収益予測

Aside from that, this definition of otaku is such a mess. If you say as an adult that you play Dragon Quest, people will think that you're otaku. Same for watching anime, reading manga or anything that is related. It doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman (which is why there's 45% of women out there). Same thing happens for teenagers where they will be called an otaku for doing the same things. Doesn't even matter if they call themselves one or not, this is what will happen. People really focus on otaku and sexual things but at the end of the day, otaku is basically just a definition for nerd in japanese with different people and tastes.

And not entirely related but it amazes me that people really ignores that japanese medium is probably the one with the most focus on female public out there, which is of course, also otaku. With manga, you have a huge bunch of manga from shoujo and josei magazines, in light novels you have entire imprints focused on female market, in games you have idol simulators with male idols much like it happens with men along otome games and so on, there's of course dramas and anime, which unfortunately the last is the only thing that seems to always matter in the west. lol But even in anime where the quantity of shoujo manga adaptations is low and josei is zero on pretty much all seasons, there's always adaptations of mobile games or just idol anime focused on girls like Idolize, Idolmaster SideM, B-Project, King of Prism, Starmiyu and others.
As for why there's few shoujo and josei manga adaptations in anime.. Aside from the fact that their magazine and manga are less popular than seinen and shounen ones, those mostly will get adaptations on dramas or movies instead, even more on the case of Josei. This is due to the fact that Josei magazines and manga are focused on women and the main buyers are women over 30, with many of them being housewives or working on corporations. Due to the public being much older and also because the stories are realistic for it's huge part of series, the investment on cross media is instead made on those other mediums, even more because the majority don't like to watch animation.
I've read this post a few times and don't really understand your point. Are you just defending otaku? Okay. She still isn't wrong, or "talking bullshit" though. She's absolutely right the overt sexualization in the anime industry needs to be curbed.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I've read this post a few times and don't really understand your point. Are you just defending otaku? Okay. She still isn't wrong, or "talking bullshit" though. She's absolutely right the overt sexualization in the anime industry needs to be curbed.

'(Sexualized) Anime sells' is all his posts boil down to in here. That's all you can deduct from it, really.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Nemesis162 Stop projecting the present state into the past. Pretty much everyone knows the current industry is massively different than the industry of the past, and the problems of the past have simply been amplified into the present due to what is an extremely patriarchal and sexist society. The dominant markets are not selling anything to any other audience. You can't really say "x doesn't sell" when there's nothing comparable on the market to compare it against.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I don't keep up with comics much but I see that they've changed She-Hulk in terms of muscle mass:

Avengers_Vol_8_11_Textless.jpg

Avengers_Vol_8_14_Textless.jpg

Don't know if the pages inside reflect the covers.

Yeah in the comics right now she is an actual Hulk now, not pinup fantasy green girl Hulk. She changes forms and has the lowered intelligence but large strength that most think of when they think of a Hulk. In fact she is just called Hulk now, they dumped the She

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's very obvious. I'm pointing out that being otaku isn't about sexualization, that otaku are diverse and have different tastes which is why I even pointed out female otaku being 45% of them, much like that they are buying all types of products which aren't related to sexualization in manga and anime.

Lastly, the other point is about plenty of anime being very successful without it and with otaku buying, which I gave examples out there.

'(Sexualized) Anime sells' is all his posts boil down to in here. That's all you can deduct from it, really.

Way to miss the point. lol I don't even know how you came to that conclusion when I literally give example of anime with no such thing and point out how otaku buys products that aren't like that.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Way to miss the point. lol I don't even know how you came to that conclusion when I literally give example of anime with no such thing and point out how otaku buys products that aren't like that.

I put it in brackets, didn't I? I remember you arguing specifically that sexualized anime sells incredibly well during a discussion we had here about how that sort of pandering limits audience. You never say whether you think that sexualization is a good or a bad thing either. All we get from you is sales data. That's it, and that can be mildly irritating. This time around isn't very much different.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I looove Fumi Ishikawa.

latest

EDIT: MORE

latest
latest
latest

gorgeous <3
Queen! <3
Man... Suikoden was so fucking good

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I put it in brackets, didn't I? I remember you arguing specifically that sexualized anime sells incredibly well during a discussion we had here about how that sort of pandering limits audience. You never say whether you think that sexualization is a good or a bad thing either. All we get from you is sales data. That's it, and that can be mildly irritating. This time around isn't very much different.

Well, yeah, because my point is to correct and point out things that I disagree, not to talk about sexualization per se. In general, that's how I work on internet, correcting and disagreeing with others.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Well, yeah, because my point is to correct and point out things that I disagree, not to talk about sexualization per se. In general, that's how I work on internet, correcting and disagreeing with others.

So you came onto a thread specifically about the sexualization of women and how it can be harmful, to what? Pedantically argue that Otaku culture is broader than creepy fanservice? Fine, the concept of otaku varies from region to region, and not all definitions are directly linked with rampant and harmful sexualization.

However, how is that related to subject at hand? The woman you are refuting is basically saying that sex appeal is being used as an easy tool to bring in a certain subset of viewers/consumers. We don't have to call them otaku, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Her major point seems to be that catering to this market is having a detrimental effect on the culture. I'm not exactly sure what your argument really is other than a statement that Otaku are too broad a group to be criticized.

If you're not really interested to discuss sexualization in a thread dedicated to that topic, then all you are doing is arguing semantics.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you came onto a thread specifically about the sexualization of women and how it can be harmful, to what? Pedantically argue that Otaku culture is broader than creepy fanservice? Fine, the concept of otaku varies from region to region, and not all definitions are directly linked with rampant and harmful sexualization.

However, how is that related to subject at hand? The woman you are refuting is basically saying that sex appeal is being used as an easy tool to bring in a certain subset of viewers/consumers. We don't have to call them otaku, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Her major point seems to be that catering to this market is having a detrimental effect on the culture. I'm not exactly sure what your argument really is other than a statement that Otaku are too broad a group to be criticized.

If you're not really interested to discuss sexualization in a thread dedicated to that topic, then all you are doing is arguing semantics.

My point is pretty clear and overstated at this point, with many sides of the same argument about the broad size of otaku in gender, occupation, taste, etc, and how the group is not defined by sexualization but by the simple interest on any medium which in this case, games/anime/manga/LN. I presented different series that are successful which don't have it to show that otaku buys them, I presented dozens of producs focused on female otaku for the same reason and so on. If none of this makes a point, I don't know what I should do to be able to refute it. Maybe I should just accept it, instead of pointing out and disagree with the subject in question as there's no discussion over it.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
My point is pretty clear and overstated at this point, with many sides of the same argument about the broad size of otaku in gender, occupation, taste, etc, and how the group is not defined by sexualization but by the simple interest on any medium which in this case, games/anime/manga/LN. I presented different series that are successful which don't have it to show that otaku buys them, I presented dozens of producs focused on female otaku for the same reason and so on. If none of this makes a point, I don't know what I should do to be able to refute it. Maybe I should just accept it, instead of pointing out and disagree with the subject in question as there's no discussion over it.

But that's the thing. Just because the otaku community enjoys or purchases non hypersexualized material, does not mean that studios are still releasing hypersexualized material, and that it can have a harmful impact on society. You seem to be focusing on the argument that otaku should not be blamed for the spread of harmful or damaging content, fine. However, that is only tangentially related to the target at hand. You are not really participating in a discussion about the impact of sexualized content and how it limits the representation of women, you're just arguing that not all Otaku are pervs, something that no one was really arguing.

What is mostly being argued is that there is selection of content creators that cynically use sex appeal to sell their products to a specific demographic. If you want to call this demographic something else, then call them whatever you want, the end result is still that women characters are treated as objects for male enjoyment and titillation.

Sep 12, 2018
Off-topic but it's funny how the term Stan has been used as a cutesy thing when it spun off from an Eminem song about a fan driven to homicide/suicide.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's very obvious. I'm pointing out that being otaku isn't about sexualization, that otaku are diverse and have different tastes.

#NotAllOtaku
It was the opposite of obvious, by the way. Your post was meandering, condescending, and seemed entirely pointless in the literal meaning of the word. I read it twice and I still had no clue what you were trying to say. But yeah, keep thinking you're a wonderful communicator and it's everyone else in the thread who's lacking reading comprehension.

Indeed it is.

BTW what does 'stan' mean?

In addition to the explanation above, I recently learned that, weirdly enough, the term comes from an Eminem song of all things about an obsessive Eminem fan called Stan. Yep. :)

Oct 27, 2017
It is on psn. Dunno if it is ps4 compat tho.
If you have a ps3, you can use firmware to back up the digital ps3 copy for play with an emulator.
I just looked it up and it is on PS3 so I will have to hook it to the TV.

Is emulation the better way to play 3? I am planning to play 1 and 2 on my Vita but will have to look for a way to patch in the translations for the PSN version.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Off-topic trolling and disingenuous commentary to evade discussion over a series of posts
#NotAllOtaku
It was the opposite of obvious, by the way. Your post was meandering, condescending, and seemed entirely pointless in the literal meaning of the word. I read it twice and I still had no clue what you were trying to say. But yeah, keep thinking you're a wonderful communicator and it's everyone else in the thread who's lacking reading comprehension.

In addition to the explanation above, I recently learned that, weirdly enough, the term comes from an Eminem song of all things about an obsessive Eminem fan called Stan. Yep. :)

I don't even read your posts anymore cat.

Oct 27, 2017
I think calling it a leotard means playing along with their bullshit. It's the kind of high cut strapless bodysuit a playboy bunny wears.
I see what you mean, looks just like it if you give her bunny ears and lose the coat.

What I don't understand is how does it even tie in to the thief look they got going? Everyone else has something that fits with it unlike Kasumi with her weird Joker copy outfit. Reminds me of one someone makes a gender bend of a male character so they give the character breasts and bikini because the character became a girl.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess they're going for a magician's assistant (the "magician" being Joker), whose outfits have plenty of overlap with playboy bunnies since they do it for eye candy. That implies that her existence is in service of the player avatar which is uh...no thanks.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I guess they're going for a magician's assistant (the "magician" being Joker), whose outfits have plenty of overlap with playboy bunnies since they do it for eye candy. That implies that her existence is in service of the player avatar which is uh...no thanks.
I think that's a really elegant and succinct explanation for what's going on there.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
This is so much better omg

Thanks Lumi for posting

The first dress is so lovely. I think it might be a bit too flowy when you consider most phanto thief clothes are made of harder materials but omg it's gorgeous.

Not a fan of the second, even though i like the skirt(well, without the v thing it does), the colors are a bit bland and i don't see why she needs that much fabric on the neck o_x(maybe thats just me but i can't stand any clothing that holds so much in the neck unless it's a literal turtleneck, it suffocates me lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.