• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
My memory of Baiken from GG is that she was an overall smaller character but her chest being large and on display was always noticeable. The new graphics of course do a better job at highlighting her chest and her Rev2 walk animation is... weird but overall I don't see too much difference. Her kimono is the same, she gets a jacket and I do feel she is overall larger than I remember but so is majority of the cast such as Sol, Chipp, Ky. I won't be surprised if her chest was larger than earlier though I just always thought they were big.
It was there to a degree in X but Xrd amplified it way more in both the design and pose and also added jiggle animation because of course.
baiken-rlstance.gif

96622d730319696e62c98c496502008a.gif

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo posted on their Twitter account the full render of Female Avatar of Three Houses.

D5BGZYCWsAE9cRh.jpg

I still wonder who thought it was a good idea that outfit. It looks hideous. And completely out of place. This is seriously making me consider use the male Avatar unless I can change her class, or even her outfit while still using the Avatar original class.

It's terrible, they look dead inside. Generally I picke female avatars but in this one I'll pick the male which even then, I don't like it either. The artstyle and designs of Uta pri artist makes me feel conflicted. On one side, you have the three main ones that we got before but on other, she has such a same face problem that I can't recognize her other characters well as they always feel samey to me. Maybe it's too early and I'll see in other light when it launches but for now only the main trio is really good to me.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
What a great thread.

I was playing through FFIX on the Switch recently and noticed this dumb boob-physics detail with Beatrix. I don't remember noticing it on the PS1, but then again that was a long long time ago. It's just so incredibly unnecessary.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, that change is pretty blatant objectification. Her old design isn't perfect but I like it much more. The jiggle is comically absurd. Magic physics.
Her hair flapping wildly in her X sprite is a bit much but the pose also serves her character better. Her hand gripping her sword emphasizes her fighting style, and the tattered sleave blowing in the wind calls attention to her missing arm so it isn't as out there when a giant claw on a chain suddenly comes out of it.
I feel like the women of Tekken are, generally speaking, a lot better designed than most female fighters from other Japanese IP's. A lot of what they wear seem to be inspired by ridiculous haute couture and catwalk fashion. Anna being a great example.
I was never into Tekken but I really like Jun's Tag Tournament 2 design.
That was seriously the smallest image I could find.

Mib

Nov 16, 2017
It was there to a degree in X but Xrd amplified it way more in both the design and pose and also added jiggle animation because of course.
baiken-rlstance.gif

For reference, original brown hair, tattoo-less Balkan

Guilty_Gear_sprite_Baiken.png

(This was the best sprite I could find)

She still has cleavage during some animations, but for a lot of them it's either an undefined chest or barely noticeable.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"It's unrealistic for her to wear that."

I don't think this is a valid complaint taken on it's own. Being unrealistic is okay, especially in a surreal world such as that of Persona. If a playable character just wore standard combat gear it would be out of place and feel like a disappointing waste of a character slot. (This works both ways of course - Joker would be terrible if he were in Call of Duty)

The above sentiment is in no way an excuse for sexualized designs. I feel like it's important to separate the two criticisms. The new P5 character has a design that makes her feel sexualized for no purpose other than titillation. That alone is the problem (especially with her age). I think the re-colors shared in this thread demonstrate that the core design is good, but could simply stand for less exposed skin.

Persona characters should be bizarre, impractical, and in good taste. Even being sexual is okay when done in good taste or when in support of edifying themes! But neither Ann or the new character live up to this. For that reason I dislike them - not for their lack of realism.
baiken-rlstance.gif

Ah yeah, the fabled breast bone produces a gentle jell-O-like movement even during slight movements. Chun-li was diagnosed with this once

94fb22ee61797c868e86b0b355a5d013.gif

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Do we have a broader feminism thread here on Era? I searched and didn't find anything. I think we really need one. So apologies in advanced for this out of topic post, but I really need to vent among sensible people.

It's so infuriating how a woman's work can very often be judged and reduced to the man she's dating. Case in point: the artist Grimes. I really like her music. I've fallen in love with it ever since I first heard Oblivion on the Visions album. Back then, this song resonated with me on so many personal levels...

But ever since that fucking 2018 MET Gala, all we ever hear about when people talks about her is fucking Elon Musk. Nearly every times. It makes me so mad.

There was an absolutely great article about her art and her life a few days ago by Flaunt titled: Who Knew World-Building Would Be So Difficult? They do mention Musk in it (once in about 2 000 words), but only to put in perspective how shitty last year has been for her:

Look at the Twitter fusillades, the talmudic readings of even the most flippant utterance, the team-joining. Feuds! With contemporaries, the media, her label. Gossip! A storm of it, following her spacetime-warping appearance with Elon Musk on the Met Gala red-carpet. And to hear Grimes tell it, being caught up in all this has been excruciating. She's said that 2018 was one of the hardest years she's endured.

Being true to her weird and eclectic character, she expressed many of her bizarre, radical ideas in the Flaunt article. So obviously many other outlets reported back about them. Nearly every of those other articles ended up talking about Musk. For no real reason. And don't get me started about all the fucking comments underneath them...

Everybody is free to like her or not, but can we judge her for her actual work, please? And not exclusively because if the guy she's dating? If I was her I would't get out of my home anymore. I can't believe this shit is still happening on that level in 2019.

This, and many of the examples in this very thread unfortunately prove that there are still many issues facing modern feminism...

/rant

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo posted on their Twitter account the full render of Female Avatar of Three Houses.

D5BGZYCWsAE9cRh.jpg

I still wonder who thought it was a good idea that outfit. It looks hideous. And completely out of place. This is seriously making me consider use the male Avatar unless I can change her class, or even her outfit while still using the Avatar original class.
I love how she has a convenient hole in her clothes around her waist. Make a disembowling her so much easier for the enemies.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

D5BGZYCWsAE9cRh.jpg

Never change, Japan.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I was never into Tekken but I really like Jun's Tag Tournament 2 design.

That was seriously the smallest image I could find.

Jun was one of my mains back on Tekken 2, hahah. I was disappointed when she was cut from 3, although Jin inheriting (literally) some of her moves was cool (he became my main alongside Xiaoyu).

I don't know anything about birds but the bird-shaped pattern on that costume is probably a reference to her White Heron series of (infinite!) strings.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Derek from Stop Skeletons From Fighting just released a video about the localization headaches involving Final Fight and I think I've never seen or heard someone treat the whole Poison debacle as tastefully (or clearer, cause this shit was a confusing mess) as this guy just did. He completely nails this topic right at the end, in my opinion.

Seriously, this YouTube channel deserves to be bigger. This guy's awesome:

Has been a favorite youtube channel of mine for quite a while. Great finale too. I had no knowledge about Poison at all except for when she was in SF recently and I thought her costume was terrible but given her history it almost makes sense.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

D5BGZYCWsAE9cRh.jpg

hahahaha-this-sucks-man-3187140.png

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meant to post this earlier but apparently the user was temporarily suspended on Twitter. In case we get people going "but gymnasts wear their uniforms just fine, it's totally the same!"

They were just protecting their account for a bit.

But yeah, this really illustrates the differences between a leotard and the corset teddy she's actually wearing.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just talk about Baiken for a moment. I recently got her in the gacha game Epic7. She is a collaboration character from Guilty Gear. I expected her to be a lot more sexualised in Epic7 but instead she sort of remained the same as she was in Guilty Gear. This is by no means a great design considering the ridiculously open chest but aside from this I really Baiken. She is one of the few characters I think who are both a woman and feature a disability - she only has one arm (yeah, its a fighting game so her sprite is mirrored when she turns but I'll give that a pass). She has a hidden chained claw type weapon in her sleeve but otherwise she is a strong character. I guess I'm just incredibly surprised given Epic7's usual animation often features quick close ups of tits and ass/jiggles while Baiken's attack animation is surprisingly clean.
a02a7216bd9642aaa02bcaf15ed059c0_1556081372.gif

Guilty Gear's characters are all a bit peculiar so I won't go into her personality.
I was disappointed she didn't get a better outfit redesign like Millia did. I wanted more redesigns in general, but especially for Baiken and Dizzy because the sexualized outfits really don't fit them.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I was disappointed she didn't get a better outfit redesign like Millia did. I wanted more redesigns in general, but especially for Baiken and Dizzy because the sexualized outfits really don't fit them.
I agree with you but the last place I'd imagine for them to have decent designs would probably be in a mobile gacha game. If anything it isn't as bad as I expected but I feel like they will make up for this with Dizzy any way.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/Cammy?action=history
It's pretty clear it's the classic wiki vandalism you can find on any kind of wiki to be fair. It's just two posters trying to add that since a week, while some others (classic editors?) are trying to remove that weird addition.
Doubt that Leigh Alexander will correct that, or say why she's highlighting that idiocy anyway, since she never does that.

edit: looking at her replies, unsurprisingly enough, some of those doing that vandalism are part of that convo.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

This is also BS; she wears a leotard because it's only thing she ever trained in during her Doll phase, and that's only because M.Bison forced all the Dolls to wear sexy leotards.

One of the SF4 animes goes to great lengths of Juri essentially torturing the remaining dolls, taking time to point out every little step that they were basically made to be sex slaves for Bison as she's murdering them.

She STILL wears a leotard because Bison wants her to.

I think this specific thing has been "fixed", right? But regardless, SFV is such a mess on that front...

Yeah it's not like this anymore. SF5's physics engine is pretty janky and messing with values that control positioning of the hud or color of the text can alter the table values which govern breast size. It's nuts. The more we learn about modding SF5, the crazier the base code is.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
She STILL wears a leotard because Bison wants her to.

I understand what you're saying completely but I always like to remind myself from time to time that fictional characters don't get vetos over their authors; she wears a leotard because the developers want her to (be it for fan service, brand identity reasons, etc).

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I understand what you're saying completely but I always like to remind myself from time to time that fictional characters don't get vetos over their authors; she wears a leotard because the developers want her to (be it for fan service, brand identity reasons, etc).

Oh yes, of course. She has several leotards in her closet because the makers of the game want Cammy to be in a leotard, full stop.

But there are also CANONICAL reasons about why she doesn't stop wearing the literal uniform of her abuser. Not good reasons but...reasons.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Objectification is objectification. The reasoning really isn't meaningful in the context of any fighting game I've played, and it's certainly not the case for Cammy or any of the other Street Fighter character.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I think we're all in agreement. Putting a character in a sexualized attire is the creator's choice first and story justification come later, so you cannot use the latter to justify the former; but if the reasons are shitty and sexist by themselves, that makes it even worse and merits commenting as well.

In other words: in-story reasons can't make the situation better, but they can actually make it worse. E.g. that SNK Girls game where they're not just wearing shitty costumes; they're wearing them because a pervert is forcing them to.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today on "how not to draw women" (I honestly can't tell if this is serious or not so lol):

kii6vei5r7v21.jpg

Edit: Apparently these are parodies...oops...

Last edited:

Vee

Oct 27, 2017

You know what really pisses me off? The fact that if a hypothetical SFVI came out and Cammys default design was something like this:
1bcd4b0540df66ff3c19ec286d0161aa.png

There would be insane backlash just because she's wearing pants(the top is dumb though), like its some sacred tradition that Cammy never wears pants to respect her legacy. The fact that i know people can't see her as anything without her fucking leotard makes me feel none of her "fans" actually gives a shit about her as a person unless she's sexualized. and then the same people will argue the leotard isn't sexualized just because shes not literally having sex or some shit because these people are so fucking predictable.

Its the same as those shit DC "fans" that went crazy because New 52 WW was going to have pants:
Screen-shot-2011-07-13-at-2.22.59-PM.png

getting that mad because a female character has pants is fucking insane. Like the audacity that Diana wear pants!!!! how can the picture on the right make people sooo mad? HOW? not to mention the many DC fans that don't actually give a shit about WW, like the majority that complained dam sure weren't reading her comics but they will fight the heavens to make sure she never covers up her thighs. But MK11 has shown me that any progression to give legacy characters legit designs will just be dropped in the "forced SJW political statement". Like Ms.Marvel Kamala has a good design and is fine but if she came out in the 90's wearing some skintight leather suit and they changed her to her current design there would be backlash. Basically once you a fictional woman wears a sexy outfit that's all that defines their entire character, to these people WW isn't an Icon of feminism or heroic values shes just the hot girl that better not dare wear pants. Sorry if this reads like a cluster im jacked on caffeine and mad at the world atm lol.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what really pisses me off? The fact that if a hypothetical SFVI came out and Cammys default design was something like this:

There would be insane backlash just because she's wearing pants(the top is dumb though), like its some sacred tradition that Cammy never wears pants to respect her legacy. The fact that i know people can't see her as anything without her fucking leotard makes me feel none of her "fans" actually gives a shit about her as a person unless she's sexualized. and then the same people will argue the leotard isn't sexualized just because shes not literally having sex or some shit because these people are so fucking predictable.

Its the same as those shit DC "fans" that went crazy because New 52 WW was going to have pants:
Screen-shot-2011-07-13-at-2.22.59-PM.png

getting that mad because a female character has pants is fucking insane. Like the audacity that Diana wear pants!!!! how can the picture on the right make people sooo mad? HOW? not to mention the many DC fans that don't actually give a shit about WW, like the majority that complained dam sure weren't reading her comics but they will fight the heavens to make sure she never covers up her thighs. But MK11 has shown me that any progression to give legacy characters legit designs will just be dropped in the "forced SJW political statement". Like Ms.Marvel Kamala has a good design and is fine but if she came out in the 90's wearing some skintight leather suit and they changed her to her current design there would be backlash. Basically once you a fictional woman wears a sexy outfit that's all that defines their entire character, to these people WW isn't an Icon of feminism or heroic values shes just the hot girl that better not dare wear pants. Sorry if this reads like a cluster im jacked on caffeine and mad at the world atm lol.

They don't actually care about the character. They are just so used to fanservices that they see anything not 500% pandering to them as "censorship". See also the "controversy" over R. Mika not emphasizing her ass slap in her super.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

h7cp99zp63fz.jpg

So scandalous.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
God these SJWs are ruining everything! Way to disrespect the iconic legacy of Cammy not wearing pants! Everyone knows Cammy has PTSD from being a doll and must not wear anything resembling pants or she can't cope in modern society!

My god this is so much better than her default.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God these SJWs are ruining everything! Way to disrespect the iconic legacy of Cammy not wearing pants! Everyone knows Cammy has PTSD from being a doll and must not wear anything resembling pants or she can't cope in modern society!

My god this is so much better than her default.
latest

LOOK AT HOW THEY RUINED HER CHARACTER! MAKING HER WEAR TWO LAYERS OF CLOTHING!

Status
Not open for further replies.