• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To my eyes, shorts and tights designed like that are OK. It's cute.

But the heels... just NO!
What wrong with the tights? I'm thankful haré legs aren't exposed. But yeah thebheeks were unnecessary.
Any other time, I don't think I'd mind tights, but isn't she supposed to be going into battle with that attire? But I mean, at this point, I'm a fool for expecting better from Fire Emblem.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any other time, I don't think I'd mind tights, but isn't she supposed to be going into battle with that attire? But I mean, at this point, I'm a fool for expecting better from Fire Emblem.
For the world of FE the tights are fine. We've seen far worse like that big breasted purple haired woman that was one jump away from having both her nipples exposed. Her clothes fit in this anime world. I do wish they didn't give her high heels though.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
There's a lot of bad in there, but you can't give an auto-sideye. Jill's STARS costume is great, and her BSAA outfit is fucking rad too:

I might add that I think her RE3's costume is also amazing. Indeed, I've already talked about it in this thread and I can understand why people dislike it, but I do think it works.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing about Rachel in RE:RE1 is that she was killed off as soon as she was revealed

They even go as far as giving her a prologue video of just her death

Whats odd is this video never shows up anywhere in the re-releases or main 3DS versions and it was just a pre-release teaser

Also people give RE6 and RE5 flack for introducing some really really dumb shit into the series

but it was really Revelations 1 where they went full dumb

Copy-of-275-05-Outrageous-Costumes.gif.gif

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo posted on their Twitter account the full render of Female Avatar of Three Houses.

D5BGZYCWsAE9cRh.jpg

I still wonder who thought it was a good idea that outfit. It looks hideous. And completely out of place. This is seriously making me consider use the male Avatar unless I can change her class, or even her outfit while still using the Avatar original class.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Amano <3 At a quick glance I don't see a bad one in the bunch. That one archer emphasizes her breasts a bit with the angle, but it's pretty tame compared to what's been posted and discussed before.

Vivien (the archer) and Nissa (the green elf with the staff) are both pretty questionable by Magic standards. Thankfully, those are just the Japanese promos, and their English versions are excellent and more realistically posed.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Nintendo posted on their Twitter account the full render of Female Avatar of Three Houses.

D5BGZYCWsAE9cRh.jpg

I still wonder who thought it was a good idea that outfit. It looks hideous. And completely out of place. This is seriously making me consider use the male Avatar unless I can change her class, or even her outfit while still using the Avatar original class.
Gotta sell those $300 deluxe figurines somehow!

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I may have already said it in this thread, but Resident Evil has a level of female representation that is frankly uncommon in video games. Maybe it's less uncommon in horror games, which obviously pull from horror movies that traditionally have a more gender-balanced cast (and more often than not female protagonists).

Revelations 1 however is honestly an outlier for the series looking back. It has possibly the most gratuitously sexualised women (except possibly Alexa in Code Veronica) in the series, but overall it might be the most "anime" RE game.

All of the RE games are ridiculous and b-movie-esque, but the series seems to have gone through phases in terms of what kind of ridiculous movie it's trying to be. RE1, 2, and 3 where somewhere between Romero and some Japanese B-movies (I think they mentioned a movie called "Zeram" or something). Code Veronica and everything between it and 4, including 0 but excluding REMake 1, slid a bit into "anime" territory where the umbrella plotline got really complicated and we started to see human characters with ridiculous powers. 4 was more self-aware and channeled American 80's action, particularly the film Commando. 5 went back towards the place CV and 0 were at in order to close off that storyline, and it had more money pumped into it so it could be closer to a Hollywood movie.

Revelations 1 and RE6 seem to have been the zenith of Resident Evil's anime-ness. Rev1 was the first game in the series that actually had Japanese voice acting, and I think it's the first one where they wrote the dialogue in Japanese first and then translated it into English. Up until then all the dialogue had been English-only, but now you got into the issues that usually occur with anime dubs and such, so that probably affected the tone of the dialogue. It's also the explanation behind Moira Burton's odd language in Revelations 2 -- in the Japanese version supposedly she spoke in a particular Japanese dialect they had to translate into English. RE6 had way more money, so it took the franchise's original B-movie inspirations and the anime stuff and turned it up to Michael Bay levels.

Now, RE7 and REMake 2 have gone all the way back down to a more muted, modern interpretation of the Romero-esque origin of the series, with western writers to boot.

Hey look a rare sexualy active women in a videogame!

For once, something in here that gets me Robert Redford in the forest nodding and not Jeff Gerstmann at Mario Party nodding

This is, apparently, a jab at a scene from Sons of Anarchy and possibly actual traditional biker wedding vows.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Vivien (the archer) and Nissa (the green elf with the staff) are both pretty questionable by Magic standards. Thankfully, those are just the Japanese promos, and their English versions are excellent and more realistically posed.

Oh, those are absolutely better, but if I wasn't clear in my wording, I meant in a "fantasy warriors designed by Japanese artists" sense. Like Biestmann says above, it's nice to see work from Japanese artists that don't fall in the terrible derivative tropes usually bemoaned in this thread. It's nice to see the potential is still there.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
and THIS is why I gave a sideeye when that person said resident evil is a good example of japanese designs in the from software thread

I mean we are not even talking alternate costumes, like the infamous Sheva tribal costume and the cheerleader outfit in the "yeah she absolutely is a 18 years old cop" Rebecca Chambers

As it's me you're referring to here I never said the Sheva tribal costume was great, or Rebecca Chambers (who the game director has gone on record saying he hates her character and she was forced in against his will).

I was saying that when they try Japanese developers can do good women in games. They aren't incapable of it. I was not implying that all women in Resident Evil are good.

There are a lot of sexualised moments in Resident Evil. Particularly 4 through 6 and Revelations 1. Never denied that.

But for the most part, the series has always done great. The games with the bad stuff are ourliers inaseries made by multiple disconnected studios. Here are some more women from Resident Evil. These are the costumes you have to wear in the campaigns. Not unlockables.

latest
WCCFresidentevil2remake5-740x429.jpg
resident_evil_2_remake_claire_redfield_by_xgamergreaserx_dcu4z1q-pre.jpg
kisspng-resident-evil-6-sherry-birkin-william-birkin-ada-w-resident-evil-5aca120fae6112.0550836715231923357143.jpg
latest
Jill_valentine_render.png

There are definetly sexualised unlockable costumes in the series that are pretty awful. Revelations 1 is pretty sure I'm general. Never denied that. It's good that they're removed that stuff in the last few games.

Edit: (edited the above slightly as it appeared more hostile in text than in my head.)

Last edited:

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It would roughly look like this, I also tried to make her mainbodysuit red.
The cleavage was also closed which Niks showcased and didn't liked:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pe...y-see-staff-post.113273/page-35#post-20154308
p5kazumiallwhiteqok06.jpg

p5kazumihalfwhitewrk5k.jpg

p5kazumiredmvj0o.jpg

Yeah I definitely like both the first and second edits. I think giving her flats instead of high heels would've also established that healthy balance of her costume being a homage to Joker's while also reflecting her "dancer roots."

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass

D5BGZYCWsAE9cRh.jpg

She looks like a character designed for Tokyo Mirage Sessions 2: Ballad of Fallen Idols.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I might add that I think her RE3's costume is also amazing. Indeed, I've already talked about it in this thread and I can understand why people dislike it, but I do think it works.

I liked it too. Sure not as far as combat, but that is indeed what fashionable late 90's attire looked like.

Don't get me wrong when I say I LOVE this topic; but yeah I don't think every female characters needs to be in full-length pants and sleeves; I get the fantasy and make-believe elements.

Women ARE fortunate by way of fashion --- we really have a lot more looks we can pull off then fellas usually do.

D5BGZYCWsAE9cRh.jpg

lol and to counter what I just said. I LOVE Edelgarde's design, but this is terrible. The elements don't flow, the armor misses other vital areas (and the small amount it covers makes it look like they sent her off to fight before she finised gearing up), and the rest looks like she's going clubbing than teaching.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

D5BGZYCWsAE9cRh.jpg

Am I blind/crazy or does she only have one knee guard? Why would she have only one knee guard, and why does it have a weird exposed fleshy part? Like the rest is bad, and I can't tell if her leggings are supposed to have a map pattern on them, of if they're just tearing, but for some reason the knee guard is just really bothering me.

I understand that asymmetry can be a stylish choice, and cloud only had one shoulder guard, but this seems just weird to me. Like it is just one detail that just feels like they wanted an extra design element but didn't really think about function in any way.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"It's unrealistic for her to wear that."

I don't think this is a valid complaint taken on it's own. Being unrealistic is okay, especially in a surreal world such as that of Persona. If a playable character just wore standard combat gear it would be out of place and feel like a disappointing waste of a character slot. (This works both ways of course - Joker would be terrible if he were in Call of Duty)

The above sentiment is in no way an excuse for sexualized designs. I feel like it's important to separate the two criticisms. The new P5 character has a design that makes her feel sexualized for no purpose other than titillation. That alone is the problem (especially with her age). I think the re-colors shared in this thread demonstrate that the core design is good, but could simply stand for less exposed skin.

Persona characters should be bizarre, impractical, and in good taste. Even being sexual is okay when done in good taste or when in support of edifying themes! But neither Ann or the new character live up to this. For that reason I dislike them - not for their lack of realism.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

D5BGZYCWsAE9cRh.jpg

The worst part of this isn't even the leggings, it looks like she can barely lift her sword.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree that Kasumi's core design is good. She evokes a magician's sexy leggy assistant, whose outfit is essentially playboy bunny with a jacket, which is...exactly what Kasumi's thief outfit looks like. It's inherently based on a titillating archetype.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Not a fan of that design at all. I guess I sort of like the coat thing but it is so minor and most lords have capes or cloaks of some kind any way. Lucina and female Robin looked so much better. Even if Lucina is a bit of a rip from Marth I think they did her quite well. I even like her eye tattoo and mask. Also has the cooler looking sword.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I get that fantasy designs don't have to be practical, but there also reaches a point where stuff hinders the design and then character background just by looking so ridiculous. This is a teacher at a military academy and former mercenary. Byleth is wearing five small pieces of plate armour, protecting her forearms, left knee and elbows. It's the style that modern FE characters often have in order to keep them looking slender and not break up any sweeping lines in that it's paper-thin (Corrin's male and female designs, along with lots of others from Fates, do this). So it's five armour accessories that are offering little protection because they are designed to keep her looking thin and agile. They are placed on her joints so they don't break up the skin-tight lines showing off her upper/lower legs and arms, but still hinder movement. At that point it's all just so silly that I wonder why she's wearing scraps of plate at all, it's like Dana from Ys VIII pairing lengths of silk with armoured panties. if Byleth was going to have scraps of armour as accessories, wouldn't she be better off with relatively lighter armour that hindered movement less than scraps of plate on the joints of a swordswoman relying on agility to not get hit? I could see something like studded black leather pieces working instead of looking like she's applied some glue and rolled around in the armoury after selecting her clubbing gear. The less said about the knife worn at a fashionable angle to have it's scabbard pointed at her inner thigh the better. Seems odd to have that chosen as the eyecatching spot colour. I'll be generous and assume the colour and angle is not because it's one of those 'costume contains arrows pointing at the crotch' things!

Last edited:

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Meant to post this earlier but apparently the user was temporarily suspended on Twitter. In case we get people going "but gymnasts wear their uniforms just fine, it's totally the same!"

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

D5BGZYCWsAE9cRh.jpg

Those leggings look like grandma's toilet seat cover

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Derek from Stop Skeletons From Fighting just released a video about the localization headaches involving Final Fight and I think I've never seen or heard someone treat the whole Poison debacle as tastefully (or clearer, cause this shit was a confusing mess) as this guy just did. He completely nails this topic right at the end, in my opinion.

Seriously, this YouTube channel deserves to be bigger. This guy's awesome:

Oct 27, 2017
Derek from Stop Skeletons From Fighting just released a video about the localization headaches involving Final Fight and I think I've never seen or heard someone treat the whole Poison debacle as tastefully (or clearer, cause this shit was a confusing mess) as this guy just did. He completely nails this topic right at the end, in my opinion.

Seriously, this YouTube channel deserves to be bigger. This guy's awesome:

Agreed, this channel deserves it.
They made a lot of cool videos. I also like the one about the music in Dragon Quest.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, this channel deserves it.
They made a lot of cool videos. I also like the one about the music in Dragon Quest.
I came across him years ago with his old video from his Happy Video Game Nerd days about Earthbound and it's tragic history. Still one of his absolute best but with the small caveat (which grows more and more with each year) that it's hilariously outdated since it was released during the Earthbound dark years.

He also made a great one about all the times Reggie did NOT announce Mother 3. And unfortunately we'll never get alproper closure on that debacle without Reggie in the picture.

spiel

Oct 28, 2017

D5BGZYCWsAE9cRh.jpg

asdfghjkl the female look is SO bad

With the male character, my eyes are drawn to the bright purple dagger first, then to his hair. Oh, I say, look at his fierce expression, this guy has some spirit. For her, I just don't know where to look. Those lace tights are actively distracting. There's so much going on. Why does her face look so blank.

Oct 27, 2017
I came across him years ago with his old video from his Happy Video Game Nerd days about Earthbound and it's tragic history. Still one of his absolute best but with the small caveat (which grows more and more with each year) that it's hilariously outdated since it was released during the Earthbound dark years.

He also made a great one about all the times Reggie did NOT announce Mother 3. And unfortunately we'll never get alproper closure on that debacle without Reggie in the picture.
I never watched those two videoes so I might have to do it now.

I just finished watching the video and god damn, I knew the Poison situation was complicated but never realized how fucked up it was. Capcom should really settle the matter because it is laughable now.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I'll just talk about Baiken for a moment. I recently got her in the gacha game Epic7. She is a collaboration character from Guilty Gear. I expected her to be a lot more sexualised in Epic7 but instead she sort of remained the same as she was in Guilty Gear. This is by no means a great design considering the ridiculously open chest but aside from this I really Baiken. She is one of the few characters I think who are both a woman and feature a disability - she only has one arm (yeah, its a fighting game so her sprite is mirrored when she turns but I'll give that a pass). She has a hidden chained claw type weapon in her sleeve but otherwise she is a strong character. I guess I'm just incredibly surprised given Epic7's usual animation often features quick close ups of tits and ass/jiggles while Baiken's attack animation is surprisingly clean.
a02a7216bd9642aaa02bcaf15ed059c0_1556081372.gif

Guilty Gear's characters are all a bit peculiar so I won't go into her personality.

Mib

Nov 16, 2017
I'll just talk about Baiken for a moment. I recently got her in the gacha game Epic7. She is a collaboration character from Guilty Gear. I expected her to be a lot more sexualised in Epic7 but instead she sort of remained the same as she was in Guilty Gear. This is by no means a great design considering the ridiculously open chest but aside from this I really Baiken. She is one of the few characters I think who are both a woman and feature a disability - she only has one arm (yeah, its a fighting game so her sprite is mirrored when she turns but I'll give that a pass). She has a hidden chained claw type weapon in her sleeve but otherwise she is a strong character. I guess I'm just incredibly surprised given Epic7's usual animation often features quick close ups of tits and ass/jiggles while Baiken's attack animation is surprisingly clean.

Guilty Gear's characters are all a bit peculiar so I won't go into her personality.
How do people in this thread feel about the evolution of Baiken from GG1 to the newest one (Rev 2)? Currently she's intended to be a sukeban-like (70/80s female japanese delinquent/gang member) adult samurai, but unlike a lot of modern fictional sukeban, she's not just Jotaro Kujo but shirtless with breast bindings. While the cleavage and breast size increase in Rev is sketchy, it's cool to have a female fighting game character that completely shirks the usual trappings of japanese female badass (she's secretely: really feminine, demure, has big breast, a great cook/housewife, bad cook etc.)

At the same time, compared to her original incarnation I feel like we lost something even rarer. In the original Guilty Gear she's basically a wandering mangy revenge obsessed vagrant. She looks like someone ready and willing to cut down anyone for any reason. I don't know what to call that type of character, but it's definitely not how I'd expect a Japanese game to depict a woman, and I can't think of any examples of it outside Baiken.

On that note, how's the thread feel about sukeban and the like in general?

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a02a7216bd9642aaa02bcaf15ed059c0_1556081372.gif

If we only judged the characters by how strong they were then there would be no need for this thread. Her outfit and getup is completely designed to titillate a male audience. There are 100's of classy ways to make a young woman fight in a kimono. Tekken 7's Kazumi is a great example:

o8Ndtry.gif

Or VF's Aoi:

tumblr_nkx86cI5ud1slig2vo1_400.gif

I am of course just focusing on their default outfits ignoring the customization features of those games that allow players to make them 95% naked.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
How do people in this thread feel about the evolution of Baiken from GG1 to the newest one (Rev 2)?

My memory of Baiken from GG is that she was an overall smaller character but her chest being large and on display was always noticeable. The new graphics of course do a better job at highlighting her chest and her Rev2 walk animation is... weird but overall I don't see too much difference. Her kimono is the same, she gets a jacket and I do feel she is overall larger than I remember but so is majority of the cast such as Sol, Chipp, Ky. I won't be surprised if her chest was larger than earlier though I just always thought they were big.

As for her personality/archetype I'm luke warm. It is simple enough, enjoyable even. She has some agency and is not common despite the cliche history and quest for vengeance. I don't really know about the gangster sukeban stuff, I just see wandering ronin badass. I like rebellious characters and it is nice to have someone who isn't afraid dirty their hands but also not completely irresponsible and irrational.

i like that they tried to make her a bit older than some of the others but she is no Cliff. I like the contrasting between a rough, street fighter appearance and precise, refined swordsmanship. The way she hunches over in her stance reminds me somewhat of wolverine.

If we only judged the characters by how strong they were then there would be no need for this thread.

I agree 100%, well except there are still characters who are not powerful at all and dressed ridiculously.

I'm not here to defend Baiken, I appreciate her despite the sexualisation and happily Criticise that aspect any time. Tekken is significantly better on the sexualisation front as a whole to the point I consider the comparison laughably one sided. GG has always strived to be a little quirky and unique in their designs. This doesn't excuse sexualisation of course, it is still very much ridiculous. My main point was how I was surprised at her animations in Epic7 being much better than I expected given Epic7's own characters are very much often gacha trash designs with tits and ass zooms and all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.