• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
That was where it was always headed from the setup sadly, with him getting ya know the most powerful quirk and his storyset out for him
I know but it could have taken some time to bring in some important questions, like, the whole dilemma presented in the next season (whether deku deserves the quirk or not)should have been introduced much earlier... feels like the whole pacing of the show is off now idk lol

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a great gif! Also, lol at some dude trying to put one over on Gail Simone of all people.

Also kinda late in the anime talk but man I remember when MHA was first being talked about on the old place. "Oh it's so fresh and new and unconventional!" And I guess seeing how the show seemed more inspired by comic book superheroes, I bought into the hype. I remember thinking, "Yeah, this will be different and set a new standard." And it's anything but now.

Also, One Piece, I couldn't help but wonder if we were still in the early pre time skip if we'd be looking at it in a different light in this thread. There was a time where'd I'd probably die on a hill saying One Piece could do no wrong. Now it's pretty damn embarrassing.

Anyway, sorry didn't mean to veer OT, just ranting a bit, I was catching up and seeing all the anime talk.

As someone who is a huge One Piece fan, I definitely agree with you. A lot of the early stuff had far more variety when it came to female character designs and women were allowed to be grotesque, silly, and weird like everyone else. Even the recent Big Mom story doesn't really veer too far from the same female designs we've seen post-timeskip and even has a problem with the "good = beautiful" that earlier volumes didn't have.

It's like that Sanji mermaid joke actually happened and all the "ugly women" were just erased. It sucks because it means that nearly every woman is interchangeable in look with only hairstyle and clothing (or more often the lack of it) to really tell apart.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
That was where it was always headed from the setup sadly, with him getting ya know the most powerful quirk and his storyset out for him

It's sad because when they set up the whole "I study heroes so I know the best tactics" thing at the start I was thinking it would be a true underdog story of him overcoming his quickless self and - NEVERMIND HE'S GOT THE BEST ONE NOW.

I still like it but it wasted its potential.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad because when they set up the whole "I study heroes so I know the best tactics" thing at the start I was thinking it would be a true underdog story of him overcoming his quickless self and - NEVERMIND HE'S GOT THE BEST ONE NOW.

Really the only manga I know that goes deep with the "I will outsmart the enemy" is Death Note but even then the best ones are early on when he isn't in control of everything and well, the mangaka's have kind of sexist views that really rear their ugly head in Bakuman.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Maybe I am in the minority, but MHA was a snoozefest to me from the get-go. The underdog thing doesn't even last very long at all.
Especially given that the premise is the same as Naruto sure Kyubi is in Naruto's belly but that's what was messing with his ability to hone and manipulate his own chakra so all the other kids in town were shinobis in the making using and honing their chakra like maniacs , while he was struggling to barely turn himself into the illusion of a naked chick to get a nosebleed out of his teachers ...

MHA begining is nothing more than a repeat of that , just without Kyubi being the disturbing element but with a more straight forward "naaaah he really is that uninterresting" ...

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
Really the only manga I know that goes deep with the "I will outsmart the enemy" is Death Note but even then the best ones are early on when he isn't in control of everything and well, the mangaka's have kind of sexist views that really rear their ugly head in Bakuman.
When I read the first few bakuman chapters, I wondered how the authors use of women had degraded so much but then lookijg back at death note the most prominent women were just pawns for light.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
To be frank, I actually think Kasumi's new outfit looks cool, but you're right it makes no sense. The sizes being so blatantly wrong though strikes me as especially outrageous. These women should weigh about 50% more than the numbers listed for them. It really shows how out of touch men can be about women's bodies.
There are several games out there with sub-100-pound women with huge breasts that you have to wonder if the person coming up with their sizes thinks breasts do not weight anything.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I had seen the still in the spoiler thread, but watching a live stream of DMC5 right now, they really, seriously
slowly pan the camera all the way up Lady's naked body for us to get a good look in. So fucking transparent.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
When I read the first few bakuman chapters, I wondered how the authors use of women had degraded so much but then lookijg back at death note the most prominent women were just pawns for light.
I like that a female character was killed off in death note for the reason of being to competent. Spoilers for death note
Death Note has the death of Naomi Misora, the cool FBI agent and the most badass female character on the show who was literally killed off for being too competent. The author said in an interview that if she hadn't been written out she would have solved the case and the manga would have ended after only three volumes

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I had seen the still in the spoiler thread, but watching a live stream of DMC5 right now, they really, seriously
slowly pan the camera all the way up Lady's naked body for us to get a good look in. So fucking transparent.

iciL8.gif

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like that a female character was killed off in death note for the reason of being to competent. Spoilers for death note
Death Note has the death of Naomi Misora, the cool FBI agent and the most badass female character on the show who was literally killed off for being too competent. The author said in an interview that if she hadn't been written out she would have solved the case and the manga would have ended after only three volumes

Yeah it's so annoying. At least she gets her own prequel novel.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, my whole problem with the story, and probably why people cheer for bakugo, he's struggling more than deku now lol
try the promised neverland, or hunter x hunter. The first one has plus points cause female main character

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

To be fair, "you're too competent and might end the manga early" is not a cause of death that discriminates by gender in Death Note...

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Are you talking about what happened to Naomi Misora?
Well the fact that one of the most competent characters was female from a writer who is bad at writing females, i find it funny in the way like "oh no i accidentally wrote a strong female character time to kill her off" and were just stuck with characters like Misa.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the fact that one of the most competent characters was female from a writer who is bad at writing females, i find it funny in the way like "oh no i accidentally wrote a strong female character time to kill her off" and were just stuck with characters like Misa.

What's ironic is that Misa is protrayed as somewhat intelligent right up until we meet her and everything just goes downhill from here.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Looked up the Sister Krone character.....there are so many reasons I just don't have much desire to get back into anime. Y I K E S

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Welp looks like bisexual pro sex feminist Hannah Bardell Scottish MP just had enough with steam letting russian homophobes upload their drivel on steam ...

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-07-rape-day-prompts-call-for-uk-government-review

You know what Valve no I ain't gonna be defending yer ass in front of the White Haired fuming lady ...
Because guess what I share the sentiment ...
Aaaand there's already someone in the comments playing the good ol' "BUT FORTNITE PROMOTES VIOLENCE!" card.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Aaaand there's already someone in the comments playing the good ol' "BUT FORTNITE PROMOTES VIOLENCE!" card.
Bear in mind that Hannah has gone on reccord during a game jam organised by itch around Visual Novels , that she understood damn well that sometimes indeed VN and Dating Sim do talk about rape but from the perspective of the victim ...
That she wasn't against talking about sex even violent sex in video games just that it needed to be done tastefully and not normalize abnormal behaviors ...
So them playing this BS card won't work like at all ...

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I have zero clue about UK politics or who she is but GO GET THEM. Feels weird to root for a politician and against Valve, but this shit cannot keep happening.

How ironic it is that this game may end up causing a net positive? I wonder if the author will go all "uh... that's what I intended... yeah".

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I will never not be bitter about this (not my only complaint about Death Note, but it's at the top of my list nonetheless).

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I have zero clue about UK politics or who she is but GO GET THEM. Feels weird to root for a politician and against Valve, but this shit cannot keep happening.

How ironic it is that this game may end up causing a net positive? I wonder if the author will go all "uh... that's what I intended... yeah".
To make a long story short in both Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland Hannah Bardell is loved and respected by both the left and the right ...

Sooo they pissed off just about the worst MP to piss off ...

Because she's got support form all across the aisle ...

That's why gameindus biz was reporting on it ... Because that's just the wrong lady to get mad ...

Snow Halation

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 2, 2019

Eh, that's like the point of every single gambling manga, and most due it much better than Death Note did like Kaiji and other Fukumoto works or arguably Liar Game. There's entire tags for this kind of thing.

Mib

Nov 16, 2017
To follow up on this, Sister Krone is a weird case; she's actually a great character whose story (I'm assuming unintentionally) can be read as a paralel to the actual, real world struggle black women have to face, but every other panel of her looks like a hulking Jim Crow clown nightmare. Even ignoring that, she's still arguably problematic in how she's depicted in comparison to Isabella.

I will say that, up until the point that I dropped out, the anime seemed to fix the problem by instead depicting her with short fangs and piercing eyes (and normal sized/proportioned) when they wanted her to be scary/intimidating/scheming. The change also made her more relatable amd charming than her manga version. I don't know if it was due to someone at the studio or in marketing who knew better, budget, a response to criticism etc. but it's there.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
The utter...fakeness many games but in breast physics disturbs me to be honest.

I was watching someone play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (because I hate myself) and the boobs were banging away at each other and bouncing wildly around in different directions and I about peed myself laughing. They don't work that way.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
To follow up on this, Sister Krone is a weird case; she's actually a great character whose story (I'm assuming unintentionally) can be read as a paralel to the actual, real world struggle black women have to face, but every other panel of her looks like a hulking Jim Crow clown nightmare. Even ignoring that, she's still arguably problematic in how she's depicted in comparison to Isabella.

I will say that, up until the point that I dropped out, the anime seemed to fix the problem by instead depicting her with short fangs and piercing eyes (and normal sized/proportioned) when they wanted her to be scary/intimidating/scheming. The change also made her more relatable amd charming than her manga version. I don't know if it was due to someone at the studio or in marketing who knew better, budget, a response to criticism etc. but it's there.
Funny how i've seen people on youtube complaining about these changes, people just don't get some things =/

Very interesting article, and props for mentioning Canary. That kid is just the best. i literally screamed when she came back

tumblr_ok956geyx51uddo14o1_500.gif

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jacqui Bridges currently is probably the most suspect Mortal Kombat character...which given how it used to be is quite the statement
latest

D1FEs4NU8AACDT4.jpg:large

Like, boob plates and all but it's still a lot better than most of the MK cast in previous games.

AdversaryOne

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I was watching someone play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (because I hate myself) and the boobs were banging away at each other and bouncing wildly around in different directions and I about peed myself laughing. They don't work that way.
I think you're exaggerating a little. I remember them being pretty stiff.

Edit: But now that I think about it, I didn't get all the characters and I heard there was one that may be how you described. I was thinking about the main character with the red hair.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're exaggerating a little. I remember them being pretty stiff.

Edit: But now that I think about it, I didn't get all the characters and I heard there was one that may be how you described. I was thinking about the main character with the red hair.

I'm talking about some of the optional characters. One in particular.

Edit: And I never even saw the one in that video above. LOL!

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is a huge One Piece fan, I definitely agree with you. A lot of the early stuff had far more variety when it came to female character designs and women were allowed to be grotesque, silly, and weird like everyone else. Even the recent Big Mom story doesn't really veer too far from the same female designs we've seen post-timeskip and even has a problem with the "good = beautiful" that earlier volumes didn't have.

It's like that Sanji mermaid joke actually happened and all the "ugly women" were just erased. It sucks because it means that nearly every woman is interchangeable in look with only hairstyle and clothing (or more often the lack of it) to really tell apart.
I'm at the end of Dressrosa and about to start Whole Cake Island. I'm curious to see how the female characters look in Big Mom's crew. I've seen a character that is really tall and has thick legs.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
What? What do you mean boobs don't move as if they're jello on a washing machine??????

Was it mine? :D

No, the one I'm thinking of - her design wasn't bad and she had normal proportions. And then she started to move and so did they - in different directions. Then they'd slam into each other and go ping ponging off again and I just lost it.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, the one I'm thinking of - her design wasn't bad and she had normal proportions. And then she started to move and so did they - in different directions. Then they'd slam into each other and go ping ponging off again and I just lost it.

Lol, unfortunately that doesn't narrow it down. Boob physics in XBC2 is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.