• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Don't you mean capital of Columbia?

LOL yes.

Carmen, do right by the youth so they do not make this same mistake!!!

To be fair, this could be the before she became the their (or are playing us all for chumps) since her backstory (depending on which version) mentions that she was a good guy before becoming bored with good so became bad.

Yup, I expect the plot of the show to be, "I was good but unchallenged, then I was bad but refused to be evil, so I decided to play my own rules and stunt on these fools".

She better steal something big though, like the golden gate bridge. Or Trump tower, so she can throw it in a landfill.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, this could be the before she became the their (or are playing us all for chumps) since her backstory (depending on which version) mentions that she was a good guy before becoming bored with good so became bad.
Making that kind of shift because she got deluded might be too dark for a kids show, having her being so entertained with it too, their angle of "having to steal so people wont steal" also places a high disbelief in the police and etcetera

There was a good reason she was portrayed as a villain until today xD

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think Jade from DQXI is too sexualized?
200px-DQXI_Martina.jpg

I usually believe that japanese people like to represent women that are strong and independent in a sexualized way just like Bayonetta (which was designed by a woman btw) but I really don't know what to think about this, I don't think she is like Cindy in FFXV (I hate that design) but I don't think it's over sexualized either.
Her outfit is kinda garbage, the shorts are the worst. Story-wise she seems fine and is probably the strongest of the group besides the protagonist, at least that was the impression I got from her scenes in the story and her strength in battle. her seductive attacks feel extremely out of place, and the skill I have now "Hip Drop" seems to be her highest damaging ability which involves her booty bumping her enemies rather than attack with her weapon or using martial arts. So I think she is mixed bag, the potential is there but it's muddied with the same old JRPG tropes.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
Was playing some of the Dead Space games again, and holy shit, some of the designs are terrible.
latest

2016_06_28_09c.jpg

So I have no doubt that these designs are puritanical compared to some of the shit I've seen in this thread, but I came to the realization that I find sexualization way more egregious in a serious setting than in more cartoonish one.

I had similar problems with Kidman in the first Evil Within, where I ended up getting way more weirded out by her having heels more than I have at every bit of fanservice in a Platinum game.

Probably preaching to the choire but I needed to vent.

what they did to ellie is a travesty. she was so much better designed and written in dead space 2. what do you not like about lexine's design though?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Making that kind of shift because she got deluded might be too dark for a kids show, having her being so entertained with it too, their angle of "having to steal so people wont steal" also places a high disbelief in the police and etcetera

There was a good reason she was portrayed as a villain until today xD

Yeah, I do wish she was still the villain. it's not like the cartoon made her a minor role because of it. I am also hoping/demanding that every V.I.L.E. name is horrible awful pun.

LOL yes.

Carmen, do right by the youth so they do not make this same mistake!!!

Yup, I expect the plot of the show to be, "I was good but unchallenged, then I was bad but refused to be evil, so I decided to play my own rules and stunt on these fools".

She better steal something big though, like the golden gate bridge. Or Trump tower, so she can throw it in a landfill.

I also demand impromptu geographical and cultural lessons that don't always fit into the story.

She needs to steal something impossible as well like the Hope Diamond's Shine or the Liberty's Bell's crack or the dignity of the Republican party.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
what they did to ellie is a travesty. she was so much better designed and written in dead space 2. what do you not like about lexine's design though?

Tactical miniskirt with leggings and ::checks notes:: Kevlar body suit that doesn't actually cover the full body.
That ain't it, chief.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They....had charm...

It's not. We need to stop assuming that the people who feel this way are jilted teenagers.

It's men in their 30's and 40's who feel like they didn't get what the world promised them, so they rage and lash out and clamor for how things used to be back when She-Ra was hot and Transformers killed things indiscriminately, even though they haven't actually watched that shit in decades.

One of the things I do, because I'm a nerd, is hang out in Jeff Gerstmann's Mixlr during his drives to work and sometimes he takes calls. I usually bless the segment by calling in but one time I couldn't because I was in a meeting. The one time I'm not there, this happens.

It's adults who feel jilted for no reason because they thought they'd be better off and they're not and they can't understand why, so they blame people who are advocating for change.

What is the caller actually saying? That he's disappointed Jeff isn't pushing back against who? I barely hear who he's mentioning.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
What is the caller actually saying? That he's disappointed Jeff isn't pushing back against who? I barely hear who he's mentioning.

He's disappointed that Jeff isn't taking a stance against SJW's who are trying to inject themselves into his favorite form of media. "Young twenty somethings with crazy colored hair" he calls them at one point.

"Why can't these people leave poor John Romeo alone, all he wants to do is make video games, why do they have to drag P O L I T I C S into this?"

Hey now, as a pro wrestling fan, I will not hear of talk against the hip drop.

Half joking. Asuka is love, Asuka is life.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Her outfit is kinda garbage, the shorts are the worst. Story-wise she seems fine and is probably the strongest of the group besides the protagonist, at least that was the impression I got from her scenes in the story and her strength in battle. her seductive attacks feel extremely out of place, and the skill I have now "Hip Drop" seems to be her highest damaging ability which involves her booty bumping her enemies rather than attack with her weapon or using martial arts. So I think she is mixed bag, the potential is there but it's muddied with the same old JRPG tropes.

It's because her attacks are referring something that happens to her later on in the story...why it does that I have no idea and makes me roll my damn eyes.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people seem salty that Carmen Sandiego isn't exactly like they remember it...
I just can't stand the animation style at all, the same reason I can't watch that new Spider-verse film because it's ugly and looks super budget. The original CS has better animation and it's 24 years old :(

Castlevania is the only animation i've seen in recent years that was actually quality in it's style.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I just can't stand the animation style at all, the same reason I can't watch that new Spider-verse film because it's ugly and looks super budget. The original CS has better animation and it's 24 years old :(

Castlevania is the only animation i've seen in recent years that was actually quality in it's style.

Are you being serious? Surely you're not being serious...

spidey-miles.gif

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
What in the world? Into The Spiderverse looks incredible and is animated superbly.
The style is the problem, both my partner and I from the trailers alone were pretty appalled. It doesn't look low budget (that comment was meant at the new CS, i've just got flu and a semi working keyboard so realise that last post didn't come out quite as I meant)

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I think I really gotta watch this movie.
Yeah. It's easily the best Spidey film.

The style is the problem, both my partner and I from the trailers alone were pretty appalled. It doesn't look low budget (that comment was meant at the new CS, i've just got flu and a semi working keyboard so realise that last post didn't come out quite as I meant)
I felt the same whay watching the trailers but it looks fantastic on the big screen.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. It's easily the best Spidey film.

I felt the same whay watching the trailers but it looks fantastic on the big screen.
I just rewatched one of the trailers just to make sure I wasn't over exagerating as I haven't paid attention to it since they were on tv. Bits of it look really nice, I love the look of Gwen, then there is...porky pig, an anime girl and some enemies that look like clay or something? It's like a clash of styles :/ Just doesn't work for me.

If I get the chance to see it i'll watch it.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I just rewatched one of the trailers just to make sure I wasn't over exagerating as I haven't paid attention to it since they were on tv. Bits of it look really nice, I love the look of Gwen, then there is...porky pig, an anime girl and some enemies that look like clay or something? It's like a clash of styles :/ Just doesn't work for me.

If I get the chance to see it i'll watch it.

That's literally the plot of the movie.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Sorry if things have been addressed already as I'm not reading 89 pages, but really not liking how OP is trying to speak for all women in her post.
And the counter counter arguments are pretty dumb and immature, like legitimately embarrassing to read.

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
Sorry if things have been addressed already as I'm not reading 89 pages, but really not liking how OP is trying to speak for all women in her post.
And the counter counter arguments are pretty dumb and immature, like legitimately embarrassing to read.

Id recommend no one jumps into a thread this long without reading at least some of it first. If you can't, this thread is probably already beyond your grasp and you're going to sound ignorant.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Id recommend no one jumps into a thread this long without reading at least some of it first. If you can't, this thread is probably already beyond your grasp and you're going to sound ignorant.
I've read some of it, but I'm not going to go through all of it and shouldn't be expected to in order to contribute dicussion imo.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little late to the Jade in DQ 11 discussion but I just wanted to say that if people don't her base outfit, then they're certainly not going to like her design later in the game. Let's just say that the bunny suit isn't just an alternate costume but also an important combat ability. And there's also a thinly veiled attempt to explain it for story reasons.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

The slow parts (basic small movements, gestures) you notice a reduced frame rate, probably to help go with the "moving comic frame aesthetic". But the action scenes are seamless and seem to run at a normal FPS ...Which is good since it's the one major part you wouldn't want to be a stuttery mess; the "shaky cam" era of action movie filming was the worst.

The first 25 seconds is enough for demoing that

Seen it twice though. Both times I gave it 10 man-spiders out of 10.
Def see it.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure how one could read the OP and have this take on it, especially since it directly addresses the "no woman can speak for every other woman" issue. To me it reads like someone who is exhausted of educating people on feminism day in and day out.

I often wish there was more OP though, although we can't and shouldn't expect people to do our work and research for us. For example, I'm sick of getting shouted down by fellow men who seem to think that sexism, misogyny, objectification, etcetera is A-OK when it happens in other countries. (AKA The "Japanese Culture" argument.) A line in the OP about it would be awesome in my opinion, and I'm sure there are other similar things that are escaping my mind right now.

Anyway, it is a great thread and I highly recommend reading it if you have time, especially the threadmarked post.

RE: Jade - Certain outfits and characters in Dragon Quest XI were incredibly disappointing to me. For every Alena we get, there's always a Meena/Maya, and Jade is both wrapped into one disagreeable package. Even though her outfits are questionable at best and full on pandering at worst, I loved her backstory and character development up to a certain point, and then I was disappointed for the rest of the game. I'd be incredibly stoked to get a game in the series without one bit of fanservice, or at least another game similar to Dragon Quest IX where you could generally cover up the "battle bra and panties" with other pieces of good equipment and the majority of the fanservice was not only optional, but legitimately a pain to get in most cases.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Replaying Persona 5 last year reminded me just how poorly the developers treated Ann. This is her pose when she gets knocked down in battle:

JtCBArx.jpg

I can't find pictures of the other characters' knocked-down poses but I recall most of them being some variation of "sitting on the ground looking dazed".

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Can someone just spoil me on what happens to Jade in the second half of the game? I stopped playing DQ11 about two-thirds of the way though because I was literally enjoying it too much to the detriment of my sleeping schedule. I wasn't crazy about the seductive battle skills with Jade, and the quest with the old man was trashy, but I appreciated that the game gave me the power to not engage with that stuff if I didn't want to. And practicality of her outfit aside, I was pretty happy with how they handled Jade as a character up to where I left off.

But my tolerance for anime tropes, especially ones that objectify and disempower female characters in obnoxious ways, is pretty thin. I've been considering picking back up where I left off and chugging through the rest of DQ11, but I'd like to know what I'm in for before I make that decision.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
It's because her attacks are referring something that happens to her later on in the story...why it does that I have no idea and makes me roll my damn eyes.
Shame. The game is a lot of fun and has a lot of charm, but feels stuck in a previous generations for all the good reasons as well as the bad ones :/

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
DQ XI undermines Jade at every opportunity. It especially love putting her in the stupid bunny outfit and overriding whatever costume you were wearing instead. Also the Charm skill tree, while useful, is painful out of character for her. Sylvando has a similar skill tree but it actually fits his personality to be flirty and overly charismatic

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I've read some of it, but I'm not going to go through all of it and shouldn't be expected to in order to contribute dicussion imo.

Feel free to start contributing to the discussion of sexualised designs in a manner you find agreeable, then. Meanwhile, the regular commenters seemed to reach a consensus 1000 comments ago that getting caught up in the semantics of the thread title was a useless distraction from the actual topic at hand.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone just spoil me on what happens to Jade in the second half of the game? I stopped playing DQ11 about two-thirds of the way though because I was literally enjoying it too much to the detriment of my sleeping schedule. I wasn't crazy about the seductive battle skills with Jade, and the quest with the old man was trashy, but I appreciated that the game gave me the power to not engage with that stuff if I didn't want to. And practicality of her outfit aside, I was pretty happy with how they handled Jade as a character up to where I left off.

But my tolerance for anime tropes, especially ones that objectify and disempower female characters in obnoxious ways, is pretty thin. I've been considering picking back up where I left off and chugging through the rest of DQ11, but I'd like to know what I'm in for before I make that decision.

I'm not sure how far 2/3s is since I haven't completed the game myself. But did you get to the major world changing event? You'll know what it is if you have seen it. There is a change in Jade, and with all the characters for that matter, after that event.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
I'm not sure how far 2/3s is since I haven't completed the game myself. But did you get to the major world changing event? You'll know what it is if you have seen it. There is a change in Jade, and with all the characters for that matter, after that event.

Yep! I made it two or three major quest lines into that part of the game.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Yep! I made it two or three major quest lines into that part of the game.

Ok. Then I'm guessing you haven't done Jade's quest yet. I don't think it's a major spoiler but:

Every party member gets a new skill or ability as part of their character quest. Jade is under the spell of a monster where she is forced to wear a bunny girl outfit. After saving Jade, she joins your party again. Jade gets a transformation from this quest. That transformation is she just switches into the Bunny Girl outfit and she is temporarily more powerful

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jade gets kidnapped and brainwashed into being a sexy bunny girl for a monster. After beating the monster, Jade now can transform into the demon form and additionally has a bunch of attacks that couldn't be unlocked earlier being available...like her giving a "Puff-Puff" to a male character. FYI, Puff Puff is the Japanese onomatopoeia of the sound when rubbing a woman's breast against another's flesh.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

You are not required to read the thread to contribute to the discussion, but if said contribution is to attack the very premise of the thread, it would at least lend it a lot more weight. Beyond that, the "you don't speak for all women" argument has been made literally dozens of times in the old thread and this one (so much so that it's actually addressed in the OP); people are understandably weary of having to retread the same back and forth yet once again. Reading the thread would at least give you some background into how these discussions went, and hopefully avoid repeating them wholesale.

That said, I don't think you need to address the OP at all to contribute. You say you dislike how Persephone (seemingly) speaks for all women (she actually doesn't); feel free to take this opportunity to speak for yourself, instead.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Replaying Persona 5 last year reminded me just how poorly the developers treated Ann. This is her pose when she gets knocked down in battle:

JtCBArx.jpg

I can't find pictures of the other characters' knocked-down poses but I recall most of them being some variation of "sitting on the ground looking dazed".

isn't kamoshida's story arc hilarious in the context of the full game

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

This is the second topic on this because the other one maxed out. Largely members in here cycle in and out sometimes because we get so bored of answering the main rebuttles to the topic. If it's curt, it's because for such a simple request, we're tired of having to answer the same questions so often; and the answers we often DO hear tend to be quite selfish and totally lack empathy for women – the people who the issue involves in the first place.

The world is obsessed with boobs, and games make a special effort to make sure they expose it as often as possible even in contexts where it makes no sense...Games are also a hobby that shows pretty regular hostility to female players and developers. And video games are one of the big forms of mainstream media that still frequently has VERY little shame about sexualizing women in almost dated and super dubious ways.

latest

I do like posting examples of how transparent this angle in games is (almost literally with the picture below). Like it's hilariously obvious....

4ASCuS5.jpg

xcVOiZw.gif

bz7NWG9.png

You can have your opinion on the matter and not agree, it's fine. I'd be keen to ask you for a better explanation if the topic truly does rub you the wrong way if you'd be willing to offer. But as it I hate seeing this in games, and it sucks when gaming has been my lifelong hobby, but it often disrespects a large part of who I am, where "I" am played up as simple eyecandy and where "I" am often not the hero.

I honestly hated it. I felt like they downplayed something terrible and didn't really care about Ann's experience.
SEXUAL HARASSMENT? NEVER HEARD OF IT.
7ZNP6MH.png

Last edited:

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care much for this design. It's an outfit to go clubbing or something, but she's wielding a weapon, so I assume she's intended to be a fighter. It's nonsense. The super-tight short shorts look like they belong on the beach, and the top with its boob socks looks really stupid, and the breast support is through... her neck collar? What? And of course high heels. Yuck.

Bravo. She's a stupid design that makes no sense for her character, even if it's not as egregious as your Pyras or your Cindys. Writing could have made up for it, but instead it completely shits all over any potential she had as a character.

Bah, I'll add that to the list of the ways DQXI disappointed me...

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Ok. Then I'm guessing you haven't done Jade's quest yet. I don't think it's a major spoiler but:

Every party member gets a new skill or ability as part of their character quest. Jade is under the spell of a monster where she is forced to wear a bunny girl outfit. After saving Jade, she joins your party again. Jade gets a transformation from this quest. That transformation is she just switches into the Bunny Girl outfit and she is temporarily more powerful

Jade gets kidnapped and brainwashed into being a sexy bunny girl for a monster. After beating the monster, Jade now can transform into the demon form and additionally has a bunch of attacks that couldn't be unlocked earlier being available...like her giving a "Puff-Puff" to a male character. FYI, Puff Puff is the Japanese onomatopoeia of the sound when rubbing a woman's breast against another's flesh.

See, shit like this turns me off big time. I guess I'll be able to stomach it, but there's enough going on with Jade to make her a respectable character. Why do this? It was one thing when I could say no to the pervy old man basically asking me to force Jade into a bunny outfit, but here I have no choice but to just deal with it. And the fact that THIS aspect was chosen to expand her combat abilities is so obnoxious - but apparently they couldn't restrain themselves.

Anyway, thank you both for answering my question. I really love a lot about JRPGs but it's unfortunate that sexualization, waifus and fan service have become so prevalent within the genre.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
What annoys me most about P5 is that it had the perfect opportunity to address these issues, and the platform to deliver such an argument to several million players (a percentage of who really need it slammed hard into their face)...but didn't.

It's literally a story about rejecting society's expectations that is itself afraid to reject society's expectations.

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 could have been so much more than it was, it sucks because the first arc is so awesome and then it just... stops trying.

Also, regarding Jade, my biggest problem is how everyone gets a big slice of character development except her. I love the game to death and I think Jade is almost a great example on how to write a female character if we take out just some lines out of it, which makes i even more disappointing as I want others to see her and not just go "oh they just had to slap the sexy skills on her for no good reason". In general, she's fantastic and she makes most scenes better, she's a serious character that truly cares about everyone.

At least we have Veronica, who is always amazing. Even Serena has some surprising moments, in general I think DQXI has a good female cast.

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Do you think Jade from DQXI is too sexualized?
200px-DQXI_Martina.jpg

I usually believe that japanese people like to represent women that are strong and independent in a sexualized way just like Bayonetta (which was designed by a woman btw) but I really don't know what to think about this, I don't think she is like Cindy in FFXV (I hate that design) but I don't think it's over sexualized either.

It's not too sexualized (or my bar is pretty low); it's still obvious she's dressed and designed to be the party's "sexy one " for arbitrary reasons.

That said, I think it's pretty stylish. Impractical for sure, but stylish. I always love the way Toriyama draws ladies for some reason (look at that hair!! Look at it!!!) and Jade is no exception.

fashion police time: Jade's incredibly idealized proportions aside, her tank and leather top combo feel pretty contemporary (I'd definitely ditch the 'dog collar' though), and lime green boots would be so much fun IRL. Meanwhile Jade's "waist cape" adds just the right amount of 'fantasy' while the studs on her belt and leather gloves give her just a touch of "edge." :P I love her hairdo (again, feels contemporary and doable), and her face and look is effectively designed with a simple, no-nonsense beauty (i.e., nothing about her look is over-designed which is surprisingly girl-next-door and cool... ... I'mma just post this here).

Last edited:

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

JtCBArx.jpg

It's a bog standard Japanese slapstick "somebody gets knocked out" pose, to be fair. If I remember correctly, Yusuke also uses a similar pose. But yea, in addition to everything that happens to Ann in the game, it doesn't feel great.

I honestly hated it. I felt like they downplayed something terrible and didn't really care about Ann's experience.
SEXUAL HARASSMENT? NEVER HEARD OF IT.
7ZNP6MH.png
And yea, isn't it just great that everyone else instantly love their costume except for Ann and Makoto? Aren't these costumes supposed to be metaphors for self-actualization?

Someone pointed out that based on some Mementos conversations, it's hinted that Ann actually secretly likes it. Why hide that in some rare, optional content and go through this whole embarrassed song and dance nonsense? Her owning it immediately would track much better, regardless of actual design.

Last edited:

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Someone pointed out that based on some Mementos conversations, it's hinted that Ann actually secretly likes it. Then why hide that and go through this whole embarrassed song and dance nonsense? Her owning it immediately would be much better, regardless of actual design.

I'm finding the whole 'secretly liking the sexy outfit' thing to be a common occurrence (there's at least two instances I can account for in the current gacha game I'm playing). They get to have a woman act all pure and embarrassed over their outfit while still having it be okay because, hey, they really like it! Basically it's a way for the developers to have their cake and eat it too. Personally, I hate it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bog standard Japanese slapstick "somebody gets knocked out" pose, to be fair. If I remember correctly, Yusuke also uses a similar pose. But yea, in addition to everything that happens to Ann in the game, it doesn't feel great.

And yea, isn't it awesome that everyone else instantly love their costume except for Ann and Makoto? Aren't these costumes supposed to be metaphors for self-actualization?

Someone pointed out that based on some Mementos conversations, it's hinted that Ann actually secretly likes it. Then why hide that and go through this whole embarrassed song and dance nonsense? Her owning it immediately would be much better, regardless of actual design.

I *think* the intent with Ann is that she's supposed to be sex positive.

Which makes the part where Yusuke tries to force her to strip for him and it's all played for laughs kind of... well, you know.

I'm finding the whole 'secretly liking the sexy outfit' thing to be a common occurrence (there's at least two instances I can account for in the current gacha game I'm playing). They get to have a woman act all pure and embarrassed over their outfit while still having it be okay because, hey, they really like it! Basically it's a way for the developers to have their cake and eating it too. Personally, I hate it.

Basically how I think of it too. If Ann, god forbid, ever admitted to enjoying her body then she couldn't be a waifu. Could you imagine the shock and horror if she told Sojiro she had ever had a boyfriend? Thousands of otaku would have cried into their body pillows in despair.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Also hated the whole having Ann being embarrassed over her outfit instead of just letting her own it thing so much (such a stupid decision, I don't care how much I still liked P5). Already being aware of the sort of sensibilities they were catering to with that cliche only makes it more irritating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.