• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think politics are best left out of games, it's pulpy entertainment created by and for men/boys generally. That's why all the girls are hot, also why all male characters are 2d cardboard cutouts /bros with shaved heads, and stories and dialog most often hover around b movie quality.
Look at comics, manga, most movies and you'll see the same. Asking for real characters with depth n nuance in both appearance and personality. or asking for thought provoking stories/ideas, is asking a lot from a medium that's about fun, explosions and entertainment generally eh
This will change if a few more bright people are given a chance to create these games and new/different concepts and aesthetics are given a chance to shine, or if studios support ideas that aren't solely about making $

Hey, guess what? EVERYTHING has politics. Everything. Even if you refuse to see them.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I think politics are best left out of games, it's pulpy entertainment created by and for men/boys generally. That's why all the girls are hot, also why all male characters are 2d cardboard cutouts /bros with shaved heads, and stories and dialog most often hover around b movie quality.
Look at comics, manga, most movies and you'll see the same. Asking for real characters with depth n nuance in both appearance and personality. or asking for thought provoking stories/ideas, is asking a lot from a medium that's about fun, explosions and entertainment generally eh
This will change if a few more bright people are given a chance to create these games and new/different concepts and aesthetics are given a chance to shine, or if studios support ideas that aren't solely about making $

I mean, if you pair your first sentence with the following two points, you're saying that things can't change and we should all just shut up.

Demanding more is something we should all be doing, regardless of your gender or creed, because games can get better if people stop trying to latch themselves to the status quo.

Also, you literally cannot leave politics out of games. Your favorite game has a political throughline in it, regardless of what it is.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
there's a lot to unpack here and there's a lot of retcons as well.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017

Fiction is inherently political. "Keeping politics out of games" just means adhering to the status quo, which is itself a political stance. Representation of minority groups isn't "politics", it's representing the reality of the world we live in. If you're against that because "muh apoliticism" then pro tip you're probably trash

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Let's get real, though. The Xeno franchise came from this:
latest

True story.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

I'm a man, and you can piss off. It's not the characters that are cardboards, it's you.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Games are for men and boys, and that's why you see so much representation for trans men and gay men.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space

• Games are just for men
  • Keep women out my vidya
  • I like hot girls
  • Keep politics out my vidya
  • U stfu u mean womz
  • I don't care but I care enough to post in this thread

tenor.gif

You're a fucking moron citing comics, manga and movies as 'the same', as if manga, comics and movies do not have entire genres appealing to women.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
You're a burner account with no insight to bring who didn't read the OP, asking people to shut up about things that affect us everyday. Why in the world should anyone respect you?
Why in the world would you go for this thread to push this kind of shit when you're literally just 10 posts in?
I mean if the account isn't a burner account that is.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
it recently got a new lease with the 2nd edition of Pathfinder where there was a page talking about inclusiveness and making sure to not make other players uncomfortable

The funny thing is that the whole "making sure not to make other players uncomfortable" is pretty much roleplay 101. There's hundreds of pages with tips about doing this, and even more pages talking about what not to do. You'll get thrown out of a RP event if you're making people uncomfortable, and the whole idea is to have a good time together. I mean, sure, there's cutthroat RPers, but I've only met four in my whole life. They're not very common, in my experience - and definitely not IRL. They don't last long.

This reeks of people with very little contact with the community trying to push into it and failing utterly.

It's funny how GG bullshit has been tried with as well with film, anime, comics & tabletop... and the only place it ever gained traction was with video games... and yet every time there's an issue a ton of users are like "it's not a gamer problem."

Yeah, I've noticed the same. It's... quite something. I'm personally blaming marketing. So much of it, when it comes to games, is ridiculously divisive - and "the other side is for girls" was often a part of that :/
As well as other rather nasty stuff. Like the German magazine "PC Action" - it'd call things the authors disliked gay (to be more precise, it used the term "Schwulitäten", which isn't a nice term and kinda translates to "gay things" or "gay happenings")

As a devout Islamist, I agree women should be fully covered in hijab. I am glad there is a community that accepts my beliefs.

"devout islamist".

Man, gamergaters are so goddamn stupid.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We need a "Why women criticise sexualised designs" bingo.

As the one currently making that master post thing (on page 121!), there is a pretty obvious pattern here.

The funny thing is that the whole "making sure not to make other players uncomfortable" is pretty much roleplay 101. There's hundreds of pages with tips about doing this, and even more pages talking about what not to do. You'll get thrown out of a RP event if you're making people uncomfortable, and the whole idea is to have a good time together. I mean, sure, there's cutthroat RPers, but I've only met four in my whole life. They're not very common, in my experience - and definitely not IRL. They don't last long.

This reeks of people with very little contact with the community trying to push into it and failing utterly.

Yeah, I've noticed the same. It's... quite something. I'm personally blaming marketing. So much of it, when it comes to games, is ridiculously divisive - and "the other side is for girls" was often a part of that :/
As well as other rather nasty stuff. Like the German magazine "PC Action" - it'd call things the authors disliked gay (to be more precise, it used the term "Schwulitäten", which isn't a nice term and kinda translates to "gay things" or "gay happenings")

"devout islamist".

Man, gamergaters are so goddamn stupid.

Hell, it was the first group I did who refused to follow that why I almost never got into Pathfinder/DnD. On my first game ever, my player was raped by another because "he needed to feel joy" and the DM laughed about it. I got so upset I left because of how disgusted I was. It really opened my eyes at how sexist many nerd things can be.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Look at comics, manga, most movies and you'll see the same

Indeed, I see angry incels that scream angrily that women should leave their fandom in all your example, and everyone else laughing at them. Mostly since women have been there all along.
Sailor Moon wasn't aimed at guys. Neither was Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. Shocking, I know. Funny enough, over here we've got more manga aimed at women translated than at men. Weird!

Even more shocking: All the marvel comics made with female readers in mind. Man, sucks for incels that comics address women more and more, too, doesn't it? :)

Hell, it was the first group I did who refused to follow that why I almost never got into Pathfinder/DnD. On my first game ever, my player was raped by another because "he needed to feel joy" and the DM laughed about it. I got so upset I left because of how disgusted I was. It really opened my eyes at how sexist many nerd things can be.

I've had some similar stories, mostly in online RP, and am glad that especially art German cons, guys like that get banned. Sorry you had this experience, it's really not how RPing is supposed to be done. :(

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Indeed, I see angry incels that scream angrily that women should leave their fandom in all your example, and everyone else laughing at them. Mostly since women have been there all along.
Sailor Moon wasn't aimed at guys. Neither was Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. Shocking, I know. Funny enough, over here we've got more manga aimed at women translated than at men. Weird!

Even more shocking: All the marvel comics made with female readers in mind. Man, sucks for incels that comics address women more and more, too, doesn't it? :)
FUCKKKK girl you just name dropped Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne?! Can I be your best friend now?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't even get the mangas and movies point.
Like I guess Twilight was all about dudebros being into vampire shit and shojo is really just about buff men all along.
It's not even a recent trend or whatever, like I'm pretty sure the movies with Romy Schneider weren't targetting men like Stalone movies were.
How uninformed you need to be to even spout this BS?

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
So I've been curious about this subject for a while but hesitated to ask about it. It's about nudity in video games. There's been this cyberpunk demo a few days ago and opinions seemed divided on the naked bodies at the beggining. I don't want to focus on cyberpunk tho, but on the broader inclusion of nudity in games. I would like to ask the opinion of people here on where would nudity be considered appropriate. I don't actually have a bone to pick on the subject but the divide between tv/movies and games always interested me. Take Westworld as an exemple, I liked how they used it as a theme (I do know some people who thought it was unecessary tho), but I don't think the amount of nudity it had would fly in a game, or if it would stay at the M rating.
Let's make up a AAA videogame where you're a detective investigating a theft of a painting. The painter is a suspect and you go interrogate him/her at his/her atelier. The painter happens to be a painter of nude women for story reason and a model is present, cutscenes and all. Would this section of the game considered appropriate to have nudity in it (assuming nudity is a theme of the game), or, going back, the painter drawing nude models itself would be considered gratuitous ?
What do you think ?
I think the way it presents the nudity is a big part of it. Not just the context but also things like how it's framed by the camera. Like, in the Cyberpunk demo the part that really stuck out to me was how when the player character was examining, resuscitating, and carrying the woman out to the trauma team her body was positioned to have her breasts in the frame at all times. Things like this in big productions aren't things that slip in accidentally, they're decisions that take time to implement that people have to sign off on.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

Know what I do when I see a manga aimed at women that doesn't interest me? I don't read it. It's not hard. There's enough stuff aimed at boys/men out there that I will never be short of things to read.

Although I do have an issue with women-aimed manga featuring abusive relationships or featuring rape, especially in the BL/yaoi scene. That's no bueno.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Very mature.

Is that all you could think of?

Come on, have a decent discussion with they guy and tell him why you disagree.

Dropping F-bombs is not they was to have a decent discussion.
What kind of conversation do you want to have with someone who thinks that movies are all about targetting men and who doesn't even know shojos actually exists?

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the main caveat design-wise is Mythra being Mythra, followed by Brighid (who is somehow tame compared to your average female blade in the main game, which says a lot haha).

There's also plenty of room for writing to have some problematic aspects. However, I'm confident that the stuff along the lines of blushy-crushy won't be present here. There shouldn't be much room for those kinds of scenes tonally.

Also no Tora with all his questionable baggage.

Yep, there is a tonal shift, it's a bit more adult and serious and that's representated in the music as well. If you know the story you know what i mean, that won't be a walk in the park for those characters. But we will see how it turns out in the end (i don't really bother the designs and jokes in XB2 too much, but i don't demand them in this prequel and if more people can enjoy it, fine).

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of conversation do you want to have with someone who thinks that movies are all about targetting men and who doesn't even know shojos actually exists?

Not everyone has seen that thread.

I think its best to educate people properly on the matter rather than swearing.

People get banned for that usually.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Very mature.

Is that all you could think of?

Come on, have a decent discussion with they guy and tell him why you disagree.

Dropping F-bombs is not they was to have a decent discussion.
This is the second topic on the subject and has an expanded first post that touches on more rebuttals that people have given for being against women critiquing sexualized designs. The poster clearly did not read either the original topic's OP or this one.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Not everyone has seen that thread.

I think its best to educate people properly on the matter rather than swearing.

People get banned for that usually.
People trolling also get banned, that's why we usually don't entertain flat earthers in thread about the latest event from Nasa.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's cool when a thread becomes a honeypot for bans when it's not even trying to

That is because this site (and the old one) is basically just a glorified echo chamber, this thread isn't for discussing sexualization in games, it's for people to share their view on this subject as long as it's validates the OP.
To me it's quite sad honestly, there is a lot to be said about many subjects regarding tropes both for male in female in media but this can never happen here since, like you said, people are silenced for disagreeing.

And just to be on the safe side, I agree with many of OPs points, sexualiztion of women in gaming should be taking more seriously, and that extends to other mediums as well.

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
People trolling also get banned, that's why we usually don't entertain flat earthers in thread about the latest event from Nasa.

Lol I hear you. There are trolls in here for sure and I think thats ban worthy. But some simply are expressing an opinion in a non aggressive manner and are being told to fuck off etc with no consequence.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That is because this site (and the old one) is basically just a glorified echo chamber, this thread isn't for discussing sexualization in games, it's for people to share their view on this subject as long as it's validates the OP.
To me it's quite sad honestly, there is a lot to be said about many subjects regarding tropes both for male in female in media but this can never happen here since, like you said, people are silenced for disagreeing.

And just to be on the safe side, I agree with many of OPs points, sexualiztion of women in gaming should be taking more seriously, and that extends to other mediums as well.
Plenty of discussion can happen when people are willing to discuss.
Whatever the fuck do you think is going to be discussed when a guy comes in and basically call everyone names and claim the whole thing is BS?
Like the 10 post guy, he could have come and make a point but nope he just went on a BS tour like it was going out of style.
At least don't come spouting laughable shit like movies for women and an entire industry of manga for women don't actually exist.
I'm all for discussion but let's not entertain gross BS when we see it.
Lol I hear you. There are trolls in here for sure and I think thats ban worthy. But some simply are expressing an opinion in a non aggressive manner and are being told to fuck off etc with no consequence.
If that user wasn't trolling you may have had a point.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I mean you say that, even though the only people who have been banned in this thread are actively trolling.

Also, your statement of "I TOTALLY DISAGREE! But I agree so don't ban me" is pretty thin man. If you have a point to make that's actually on topic, make it, and stop complaining about people getting swatted down for trolling.

But some simply are expressing an opinion in a non aggressive manner and are being told to fuck off etc with no consequence.

The person you're defending's point was "video games, movies and anime are for boys, and they don't need to change".

Why should we entertain that? It's obviously not true.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I understand what you are saying but I think a healthy discussion is the best way. You can educate people better that way.

You can not educate people that are not interested in being educated. He immediately jumped to the old and tired "no politics in gaming", unaware of the fact that politics are everywhere to begin with, and also demonstrating and articulating very clearly that he has no interest in female representation that goes beyond "hot women" in his entertainment products. He is too far up his own arse, and just came here to let us all know. Whether he phrased it civilly or not does not matter when the contents of his post are devoid of any kind of respect towards the female sex.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of discussion can happen when people are willing to discuss.
Whatever the fuck do you think is going to be discussed when a guy comes in and basically call everyone names and claim the whole thing is BS?
Like the 10 post guy, he could have come and make a point but nope he just went on a BS tour like it was going out of style.
At least don't come spouting laughable shit like movies for women and an entire industry of manga for women don't actually exist.
I'm all for discussion but let's not entertain gross BS when we see it.

If that user wasn't trolling you may have had a point.

Obviously I'm not talking about rude and radicalized statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.