• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
can't we get Elma instead?
Like I said both here & in other threads, with the roster being decided as far back as December 2015, Elma has the best chance she's ever gonna get at being in the base roster. However, with Rex & Pyra/Mythra waiting in the DLC wings (if we get DLC), it's likely base roster or never for Elma.

And also like I said earlier, I'd be totally down for Elma being playable.

Sturm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Sexism. History of misrepresenting criticisms of female representation in video games.
Greatest forum thread pt2, electric boobaloo. Killer title, I don't contribute much but I'll be doing my best to read every page same as last time to stay informed.

To me it seems the thread of the shame of the forum.

I have never seen anything like it in other forums in other countries. And if you do not know, they make fun of this thread in other forums in other countries., to read some comments from some people here, who really need psychological help because it has severe traumas with something as natural as the sex

I came here from NeoGaf looking for something different, but this is more and more like Gaf everyday, where threads like this are allowed and moderation supports it.
It's one thing to be a feminist, another to support for hatred against man for being a man, which is what some people do here.

You can delete the account, between this thread and what happened the other day with the Twitter of cd projekt, where I get to see something as serious as doxxing, I prefer not to continue here. This forum has an expiration date, because every day is more in the same line as NeoGaf and politically correct world of Ned Flanders.

Moderation needs to look seriously at the way that this forum directs allowing threads like this one that has absolutely nothing to do with video games. It will happen like NeoGaf, someday all this will explode in your face.

I leave you in your imaginary world where some believe that what they speak in this thread is something "normal" when it is the farthest thing from reality. Continue in your bubble. Bye bye.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
What an overdramatic way to ask for a permaban.

It's similar to asking for Twintelle over Spring Man. For better or worse, Sakurai usually goes for the main character first (& before you say Robin in Smash Wii U/3DS, he was just as much the main character of Awakening as Chrom was, if not more so). And like I said, Rex & Pyra/Mythra are already huge fan requests within the Nintendo community.

Either way, we probably won't get much Xenoblade 2 representation in the base roster beyond maybe music, & we don't even know if we're getting DLC for Smash Ultimate. If anything, this could be a net profit since Elma now has a feasible chance at being playable.
I mean I understand the rationale but Rex and Pyra's designs are so horrible it made me stop playing the game (among other reasons like character interactions).
Worst part being with Mithra, for a second when she appeared I thought that maybe the design would be better or something....nope.
These 2 are literally my most hated design out of any Nintendo characters.
Then again if it's DLC at least I can ignore it like I did the previous DLC ones.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The talk of XB2 brings me to my next question. If Smash Ultimate gets DLC and adds Rex & Pyra/Mythra-

That, along with adding Travis Touchdown, would be a great way to get me to not buy Smash, to be honest. Outside of a total and drastic redesign, there's no saving Pyra for me.

Does this mean that Capcom Division 2 will follow suit with Street Fighter VI in the next console generation, or would it take SFVI being made by Capcom Division 1 for such a change to happen?

I would imagine it would be an order from on high, rather than an individual division's decision. Capcom's leaning into esports hard, so upper management is not going to want any further issues with broadcasters.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That, along with adding Travis Touchdown, would be a great way to get me to not buy Smash, to be honest. Outside of a total and drastic redesign, there's no saving Pyra for me.

I would imagine it would be an order from on high, rather than an individual division's decision. Capcom's leaning into esports hard, so upper management is not going to want any further issues with broadcasters.
  • I mean, going by when the base roster was decided, Rex & Pyra/Mythra would likely be DLC, so you could just not buy them. Either way, if we get DLC, they'd be damn-near inevitable on account of the success of XB2 alone (not to mention their fan demand).
  • True, though ESPN didn't air SFV or Smash Wii U this year (likely due to Blizzard taking that time slot for the Overwatch League Finals rerun).

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
*prolonged farting noises*

mwQwF9w.png

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018

I have never seen anything like it in other forums in other countries. And if you do not know, they make fun of this thread in other forums in other countries., to read some comments from some people here, who really need psychological help because it has severe traumas with something as natural as the sex

I came here from NeoGaf looking for something different, but this is more and more like Gaf everyday, where threads like this are allowed and moderation supports it.
It's one thing to be a feminist, another to support for hatred against man for being a man, which is what some people do here.

You can delete the account, between this thread and what happened the other day with the Twitter of cd projekt, where I get to see something as serious as doxxing, I prefer not to continue here. This forum has an expiration date, because every day is more in the same line as NeoGaf and politically correct world of Ned Flanders.

Moderation needs to look seriously at the way that this forum directs allowing threads like this one that has absolutely nothing to do with video games. It will happen like NeoGaf, someday all this will explode in your face.

I leave you in your imaginary world where some believe that what they speak in this thread is something "normal" when it is the farthest thing from reality. Continue in your bubble. Bye bye.

lol wut

Instead of Rex/Pyra, can't we get Elma instead?

This could be a case of be careful what you wish for, because you might get the OTHER version of Elma as an alternate.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This could be a case of be careful what you wish for, because you might get the OTHER version of Elma as an alternate.
I'm not THAT far into XenoX but it cannot possibly be worse than horribly designed dude paired with Titty McStripper as far as bad design goes.
Like I'd take Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles over that shitty pair.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not THAT far into XenoX but it cannot possibly be worse than horribly designed dude paired with Titty McStripper as far as bad design goes.
Like I'd take Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles over that shitty pair.
I won't spoil things, but I think it's worse.

Yeah. Let that sink in.

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this FFBE vid because was interested in the characters CG cutscenes that play when you use their limit burst.

One of these CG limit burst is not like the others, can you guess which one?

It's just hilarious how it's out of nowhere yet at the same time, totally expected and unsurprising.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Saw this FFBE vid because was interested in the characters CG cutscenes that play when you use their limit burst.

It's just hilarious how it's out of nowhere yet at the same time, totally expected and unsurprising.

Nice fakeout, I expected only 1 female character and then all of a sudden BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB/CROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTCH

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I fucking love people stupid enough to think that GAF exploded because of it's moderation and not because the admin was found to be a friggin sexual harasser. What a mastery of mental gymnastics.

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love people stupid enough to think that GAF exploded because of it's moderation and not because the admin was found to be a friggin sexual harasser. What a mastery of mental gymnastics.

Come on, we don't need this word usage.

Edit: Edited my quote since the user apologized and fixed the word usage.

Last edited:

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Excited to see the topic get a second thread. I look forward to continued discussion on the topic.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The sad thing is, sexism in media is so indoctrinated as the thing to do that, yes, he's right. The things talked about in this thread and the previous are very much not the norm, and that's a real problem.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
For these morons they think EVERYONE do what that shitty owner did.
They can't even fathom having a problem with bona fide sexual assault unless it means ostracizing someone they don't like.
They're the stereotype of gamers so of course they don't have standard at all.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy to see that we've made it to OT2. The new OP is great! I got concerned for a minute this morning when I saw the notification from the old thread about new posts and then went in and saw it was locked, before I realized why.

Love the bingo card, it's such a succinct way of capturing every shitty thing in one place.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Bye, dumbass.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I see the weekly reason why we need this thread showed up. And it only took 53 posts.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
That's how you know you've lived a pampered life - perceiving some people criticizing video game characters as "hatred of what is being a man", lol. Fully clothed women = micro aggresions.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
As for the bolded, the more I think about it, the more I realize who much I was desensitized despite being otherwise pretty aware of the phenomena. I mean it's like I developed some kind of "mind filter" so that I just unconsciously ignore those issues in order to be able to enjoy at least some games despite so many of them being problematic.

Yeah I think getting used to seeing "OMG HOTTT!""SEXYYYY""EXTRA THICCCC /aku" comments all the time you just tune it out and don't really notice as much. I'm a glass half full kind of guy so if it's not immediate stripperiffic, butt wiggling, boobs bouncing nonsense I can actually enjoy what I'm watching playing.

Yeah I remember someone posting this in the previous OT. I'd call it obvious if it were just a straight up pan, but the way the camera has to stop for a second on the crotch and then the chest and then the face, it's honestly hilariously bad.

This thread just started and we already have a ban. hahaha

Not a bad start!

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
As long as people like Sturm exist and cry emo tears about the thread existing, the thread will be needed.
Sturm must have massive issues with women if "criticism of sexualization" attacks his manhood to the point that he's screeching for censorship.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
At first I thought that post deserves to be nuked along with the ban, but I suppose it does serve as a sort of carcrash that illuminates how fucked up people can be on this issue.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
I know you're banned but I know you're also off to whatever bubble you enjoy to celebrate how ya owned the 'libs' here... but I'd like to point something out with this.

I am a very, very, very sex positive person. In real life the way I dress and act is pretty damn far from being a prude. I went to art school for college and was around naked bodies all the time. Nudity does not upset me at all, nor does it give me trauma. Human bodies of both sexes are a natural, beautiful thing. So ya don't get to just paint all of us with that broad brush of being puritan feminazis or some shit. As I've posted in the other thread, Nier, Nier Automata and Drakengard 3 are some of my favorite games ever, and these are games kind of notorious for sexy designs (especially Automata).

Just because sexy designs can be criticized doesn't mean that any of us want to censor anything. It would just be nice to play say, a JRPG from my favorite series in its latest installment without having to stare at a woman's bare ass (in a thong) for around 50-100 hours. And what I'm saying isn't to invalidate or downplay women that feel differently from me; the purpose of this thread is so women can vent about stuff they're frustrated with. Like... if you're a woman who's been a lifelong SNK fan and suddenly Terry Bogard is turned into a titty monster.

Every piece of media is subject to criticism; it doesn't mean we're going to gather up all copies of Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 and burn them

For my part, I think this level of criticism is a natural and healthy thing for games to move into a more mature art form. After all, I would love for games to be taken seriously as art... and ya don't see too many movies nominated for oscars when the main female role is a teenage girl running around everywhere in a thong bikini. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me on a personal visual shock level (I see tits and ass in the mirror every day); it just lends to a more juvenile air for the industry and culture.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Moderation needs to look seriously at the way that this forum directs allowing threads like this one that has absolutely nothing to do with video games.
'The thread about sexism/sexualisation/objectification in video game character design, following criticism/discussion of a couple of hundred video game character designs in the previous thread, has absolutely nothing to do with video games'.

You heard him, mods. Get on that.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
How do you feel about Freya from God of War portrayal?

latest

I thought it was kind of refreshing in design and character. The game goes into great lengths to
show the similarity between her and her son vs kratos and his.
It's a game about cycles and to a degree, maybe even a large one, you can argue her as a tragic feminist icon in gaming. She was
horrifically violated by Odin. Her own son turned against her.
Yet she maintains dignity, is still powerful in her own right and a mother.
I think Freya's design is great.

I think there is a greater conversation about the role of motherhood in games and why it is almost universally taken from an adversarial standpoint while fatherhood is almost exclusively depicted as a hard, but meaningful and beneficial role.

But Freya was great.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know you're banned but I know you're also off to whatever bubble you enjoy to celebrate how ya owned the 'libs' here... but I'd like to point something out with this.

I am a very, very, very sex positive person. In real life the way I dress and act is pretty damn far from being a prude. I went to art school for college and was around naked bodies all the time. Nudity does not upset me at all, nor does it give me trauma. Human bodies of both sexes are a natural, beautiful thing. So ya don't get to just paint all of us with that broad brush of being puritan feminazis or some shit. As I've posted in the other thread, Nier, Nier Automata and Drakengard 3 are some of my favorite games ever, and these are games kind of notorious for sexy designs (especially Automata).

Just because sexy designs can be criticized doesn't mean that any of us want to censor anything. It would just be nice to play say, a JRPG from my favorite series in its latest installment without having to stare at a woman's bare ass (in a thong) for around 50-100 hours. And what I'm saying isn't to invalidate or downplay women that feel differently from me; the purpose of this thread is so women can vent about stuff they're frustrated with. Like... if you're a woman who's been a lifelong SNK fan and suddenly Terry Bogard is turned into a titty monster.

Every piece of media is subject to criticism; it doesn't mean we're going to gather up all copies of Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 and burn them

Hell, I'd actually like games to actually discuss sex in a mature way in how it relates to relationships. Sex is far more than just fornication, it's everything before and after that. Yet in video games, we don't get that, we get a juvenile version of what adolescents think sex is like with a far more focus on treated women bodies like pieces of meat and treated her as an object rather than a person.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
That Sturm post owns

It's like...almost a parody of dumb idiot chuds but it's gotta be sincere

a good ban.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope to be more active this time around! This thread is absolutely necessary to have, and once again, fantastic OP.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
"Imaginary world of wanting women to wear pants in gaming".

Surprised he has one of the few fully clothed JRPG females as his avatars. Guess its his kawaii waifu or some shit.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to point out a small and subtle thing that Blizzard did with the release of Battle for Azeroth. It doesn't necessarily erase years and years of less-than-practical armor(kinis), but it's a start IMO.

Note the lack of gratuitous "boob cups" and how the armor sits a little more naturally on the chest.
DlElNhgUwAIz6kE.jpg

Compare that to armor from Legion:
DlElezkVsAAu1Gv.jpg

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Very brave of that guy to act like a delusional incel loser to exemplify what it's being addressed with the thread, A+ effort. Too bad mods took it the wrong way, oh well :/
I mean, Rex & Pyra/Mythra are huge fan requests, plus Xenoblade 2 is the most successful game in the series so far. If we get DLC at all, I'd imagine that them & Spring Man will be at the top of Sakurai's list.
Sorry, I was just being cheeky, but yeah I realize it's an inevitability at this point. I just think it's virtually impossible to make Pyra look dignified without heavily altering her design. A bust size change would be an improvement sure, but her clothes are the biggest issue, IMO, she still looks like a space stripper.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

I am almost enjoying these now - on a sort of twisted, psychological level. Men like these existing will always justify the existence of this thread and the conversation that we have here.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I am almost enjoying these now - on a sort of twisted, psychological level. Men like these existing will always justify the existence of this thread and the conversation that we have here.

If the english was better I'd just assume that the poster was my coworker who I complained about

Only his fixation is on SJWs ruining his sexy Magic The Gathering cards

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sorry, I was just being cheeky, but yeah I realize it's an inevitability at this point. I just think it's virtually impossible to make Pyra look dignified without heavily altering her design. A bust size change would be an improvement sure, but her clothes are the biggest issue, IMO, she still looks like a space stripper.
For what it's worth, Rex & Pyra/Mythra are either DLC or nothing, even though they're insanely likely for DLC to begin with (operating under the assumption that we get DLC at all). It's Spring Man who I truly believe is inevitable on the same level as the Inklings prior to Smash Ultimate, be it DLC or the next game.

Speaking of ARMS, what do you guys think of its female fighters design-wise?

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta

I know that you are banned, but I just wanted to respond to this.

As a wannabe Indie Dev (making a 3rd person RPG), I appreciate this thread. I don't participate but I do read it. I like to get a feel for the issues and that helps me out immensely.

Oct 25, 2017
This OT FAQ is awesome.

On the topic of fan service, it's interesting to see that Capcom Dev 1 is beginning to reign it in a bit with Devil May Cry 5 & the remake of Resident Evil 2. Claire's new design looks great, & Nico's look is alright (she also has sleeves & the bottom part of her coat-thing that she buttons on when working on Nero's Devil Breakers or other weapons).
They also seem to be toning down the fan service for Lady's design, as she seemingly has her shirt buttoned up more compared to her DMC4 design & is now wearing long black pants.

It's a little sad, but I am very excited about Lady in pants. I hated her DMC4 design.

Status
Not open for further replies.