• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Drive and Japan's iconography/logos that went along with it is just the best. The green and red MD logo is just perfection.

dammitmattt

Oct 28, 2017
It was incredibly popular in the US and ate the SNES's lunch for years until Nintendo changed their strategy. I'm not sure how anyone can argue against any marketing decisions for the Genesis, starting with the name.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I always thought all of Segas main console names were cool eg Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast. Prefer Genesis to Megadrive although that could be because that's what I grew up with. That said I prefer the PAL SNES look even though I grew up on the US SNES look, so it cant be all nostalgia as to why I think Genesis is just a cooler name.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No way to back this up but ok.
Yeah, it would have messed with the "Genesis does" slogan but that stuff was mostly pre-Sonic, and I think Sonic still could have been advertised into big success in NA under the Mega Drive name.

It's not like weird system names held back Game Boy, Playstation, and Xbox anyway.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty shit name for their second mainstream home console.
The Master System wasn't a mainstream console the US. It was extremely niche compared to the NES juggernaut. Sega's 16-bit home console was for the vast majority of Americans their introduction to Sega, hence the name Genesis.

Oct 25, 2017
Saying the words Sega Genesis out loud just gives me chills the same way hearing the PSX bootup theme play. It's superior sounding than Sega Mega Drive, simply put.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Genesis is a great name. And I'm a Nintendo kid. (Still am too) It wasn't until the GameCube that Nintendo started giving their consoles unique names. (Not counting GameBoy/DS portables, which TBH also just keep using the same for each revision anyway. I guess the Wii U was the one misstep but we already know that.)

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
To be fair most console names are bad, Sega were just extra bad at it. Genesis? Saturn? Dreamcast? Fuck does it mean?

NES/SNES/N64/Gamecube were all pretty good and easy to understand, before Nintendo went slightly off the rails With the Wii and Wii U. PlayStation is boring but descripive enough; it's an.. uh.. station where you play? Xbox literally came from DirectX Box, became the Xbox, and then MS went off the rails with the 360, One and Series. But Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast and the unreleased Jupiter and Neptune? Those names don't make much sense for consoles.
The Sega names are some corporate executives huffing their own farts to some degree, but frankly I like that approach over literally just calling it "PlayStation 5." Early on in the gaming industry these companies (and I'd argue especially Sega) were trying to sell you on an experience, that each of these consoles represented some kind of milestone in technological advancement, even if at the end of the day they were playthings partly (if not primarily) designed for children.

Genesis marked the beginning of a new era, Saturn evoked images of space and the next frontier (also being the coolest planet, straight-up - don't forget that just shortly before the Sega Saturn launched, GM was releasing the Saturn line of cars), Dreamcast tied into the "it's thinking" motif for the console, which by that point was most peoples' first exposure to online gaming on console.

They're just dope names that suggest something more than "new GameBox 2.0!" or something generic as hell like that.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Mega Drive and Japan's iconography/logos that went along with it is just the best. The green and red MD logo is just perfection.
Yeah PAL kept the name but they wrecked the logo and console design with the bland white stuff.

The Japanese MD was designed to look like 80s AV equipment. Like Pioneer could have made the console.

megadrive1.jpg

PAL almost looks like a pirate knockoff

mega-drive.jpg

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I've never understood why anyone really cares, honestly. Europe also got the toaster NES instead of the Famicom design, the NES name instead of Famicom and had to deal with poor conversions of games to PAL. that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I thought we were past this as a gaming world. :(

they're both goofy-ass names
thankyou.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I never had either version and have no attachment but Mega Drive sounds pretty bland to me
Might as well have called it the Jumbo Player or the Great Box or the Appliance Plus
Just plain words crammed together with no imagination
Genesis is a bit more flowery and so sounds more interesting to me

I don't know which version had the red and which version had the white, but I like the look of the console with the red better

Bilollipop

Nov 26, 2017
Canada
I only lean towards Mega Drive because Mega CD sounds better than Sega CD, you can easily associate what it's for and it's less generic. Logos are better too.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if what you prefer depends on what marketing you were exposed to.

I live in the US so Genesis sounds better to me.

I don't think names really matter. The marketing will make it normal to you after awhile. All of the Sega console names are kind of weird in retrospect but now I think the Saturn sounds the coolest and Master System sounds the worst.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I've never understood why anyone really cares, honestly. Europe also got the toaster NES instead of the Famicom design, the NES name instead of Famicom and had to deal with poor conversions of games to PAL. that's just the tip of the iceberg.
This isn't correct in comparison to almost anything else. PAL NES has vastly more at least partial PAL conversions than almost any other system up until the 2000s at least.

Master System for example has essentially zero PAL optimised games (the closest are a few very late PAL ONLY games, but they have no 60Hz comparison point). NES has hundreds where at least the music was sped up.

Oct 25, 2017
I already said that "Megadrive" sounds like a boring name, but the point that it sounds like a computer accessory is also a good one; that name sounds like some boring computer accessory. Genesis, though? That's a name with promise, and some definite cool factor.

Mega Drive is a name very much in keeping with the kinds of names Japanese companies were using for computer and videogame systems in the '80s. It's probably a fine name for that region, even though it doesn't have any (hard or floppy) drives for it. But just like all of the other consoles of the era, when it came to bring it to the US it was renamed because they wanted a name that would work better for this region. Sega did a great job of coming up with a much better, more marketable name with "Genesis".

And the market agrees on this point: the Genesis outsold the Mega Drive worldwide.

As for the US SNES vs. the EU/JP SNES/Super Famicom, design-wise, I have never seen a SFC in person so I can't say I have a definite opinion on this, but I do like the look of the US SNES. It has better-designed cartridges for one thing -- they stack perfectly, unlike the annoying rounded-top EU/JP ones, and have end labels so you know what each game is. US SNES carts are a LOT better than Japanese ones, and I do have plenty of both so I know this. Japanese SFC carts look nice in concept but in function they are flawed. Otherwise, I'd need to see a SFC in person sometime to say for sure, but just based at looking at pictures of them online both designs seem good, but I'd probably go for the nostalgia factor and say I prefer the US one. The American one is more visually interesting with the various raised parts and such, while the Japanese one has that not great looking dark grey top. It's close, I don't really understand the "US SNES looks horrible" stuff some people say.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
The PC Engine was renamed TurboGrafx 16 in America. They probably didn't want a name remotely similar to it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, I hate when the US has the irresistible urge to take something completely fine and ruin it or make it worse for no good reason. (Purple Super Nintendo)

???

Are you talking about the power and reset switches, or the overall case? Because mine was gray. Also, I'd argue the shape of the system was way more of an egregious change than the color scheme.

Because the US of A deserved a console with a kick ass name.

Bought the Genesis on launch day, and then when it was later revealed to be called "Mega Drive" outside of the US, all I could think was "Why did we instead get the console with the same name of a pop rock band and Bible book?".

OP
OP

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
???

Are you talking about the power and reset switches, or the overall case? Because mine was gray. Also, I'd argue the shape of the system was way more of an egregious change than the color scheme.

The colored buttons, but the shape wasn't good either. Really the design is just hideous. Thank god Nintendo kept all systems looking the same globally post SNES.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Because Genesis is a way better name. It's momentous. It's god damn biblical.

Mega Drive is so tepid sounding by comparison. What's it supposed to be, some kind of hard drive with a complex? Get outta here with that.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with Mega Drive so I was confused when I first saw it being referred to as Genesis on the internet.

OP
OP

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it would have messed with the "Genesis does" slogan but that stuff was mostly pre-Sonic, and I think Sonic still could have been advertised into big success in NA under the Mega Drive name.

It's not like weird system names held back Game Boy, Playstation, and Xbox anyway.

Yeah, this is all speculation as there is no real way for us to see how a Mega Drive would have fared in the US but personally, I don't it would have done worse. You can come up with potentially a thousand marketing buzzwords around Mega Drive. It practically writes itself. It would have likely sold as well if not better.

Oct 28, 2017
Genesis is an amazing name for a console. Master system and mega drive are kind of boring. I'm glad they stuck with an interesting naming convention moving forward with the Saturn and Dreamcast.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I was born way after all this happened and have no attachment to either and Genesis is a far better name imo

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Mega Drive sounds like a PC accesory.

also, the US SNES is the reason Nintendo almost lost the market. that thing was so ugly and so easy to make look bad by competitors.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
It was "Sega Mega" to everyone around here.
Genesis means nothing to anyone for hundreds of miles, it's just not a word that's used.

It's definitely very good it wasn't called Genesis worldwide.