• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Don't know what's worse, the Mega Drive being called Genesis or that purple eyesore SNES the US got.

An entire continent getting shafted in the 16 bit days.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Genesis is a better name.

Mega Drive is generic.

MQgqRB.gif
Genesis is the generic one. The term literally refers to 10000 different things.

Mega Drive only refers to one thing.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Americans also had a wrong looking SNES

Here's how it is normally and perhaps one of the best designed consoles.

mRA1nXc.jpg

Genesis always sounded odd back then, it was religious and at the time it was a bald Phil Collins band. It portrayed a very stuffy image but their loss. An odd ball name and missed out on the best looking console.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Honestly now that I'm thinking about it, "Mega Drive" is probably a cooler name, but it just feels wrong to me. The Genesis is the Genesis. When I hear Mega Drive I feel like I'm hearing people from some weird alternative universe where Sega released some other, less successful console than the Genesis. I don't feel this way about Famicom and Super Famicom, which I like more than NES and SNES and feel natural. But the Genesis is the Genesis.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe people think Mega Drive is better than Genesis lol, and I say that as a European.

I think, for me, Mega Drive sounded like a suitable replacement for the 'Master System'.

I think if I heard it out of context, in 2021, for the first time I'd prefer Genesis to Mega Drive.

But as it is ive got too much nostalgia for Mega Drive. So my hearts with that.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
Back in the days you needed two names for your products.
Game gear
Game boy
Super Nintendo
Mega drive

Sega of America didnt get the memo

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Seriously, I hate when the US has the irresistible urge to take something completely fine and ruin it or make it worse for no good reason. (Purple Super Nintendo) In the case of Mega Drive, it was decided that they call it Genesis for the US market. This makes no sense and honestly, I never liked the name. "Genesis"

It just seemed incredibly stupid. Is or was anyone else bothered by this change? I still kinda hate it.
Purple SNES and Genesis are better tho...

Oct 27, 2017
I miss the era whe products could launch with bold but goofy ass names like Mega Drive / Master System / Super Nintendo. I Sony think you could pull it off in a brand new product now, but I hope there is some truth to the "Super Nintendo Switch" rumours because I'd enjoy it a lot more than Switch Pro / Plus / XL / New etc

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Americans also had a wrong looking SNES

Here's how it is normally and perhaps one of the best designed consoles.

mRA1nXc.jpg

Genesis always sounded odd back then, it was religious and at the time it was a bald Phil Collins band. It portrayed a very stuffy image but their loss. An odd ball name and missed out on the best looking console.

I was a Mega Drive kid and I don't regret it at all but yeah, EU SNES was sexy as fuck. A close friend of mine had it, was awesome going to each other house to play a different console.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Mega Drive is such a lame generic name.

Genesis will always be better and thank goodness Sega never used that other name here.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Genesis sounds horrible and edgy. MD is also generic and horrible, just slightly less so

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hold up hold up hold up!!! First of all, the purple Super Nintendo is the best Super Nintendo.

SECOND, how else were we going to get this line from Juicy by The Notorious B.I.G. and I quote:

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
When I was dead broke, man, I couldn't picture this

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
hum i thought it would be due to religion or something, since in that time they would censor a bunch of religious stuff in games
This reasoning doesn't make sense because it was only called Genesis in the place where religious stuff in games was being censored.

Genesis is the Greek word for "origin" or "reproduction". It's used a lot outside of Christianity.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Going from Master System to Mega Drive and Game Gear, sounds a much smoother transition than going from Master System to Genecyst.

Oct 27, 2017
lol? "Sega Saturn" is probably my favorite console name.

To be fair most console names are bad, Sega were just extra bad at it. Genesis? Saturn? Dreamcast? Fuck does it mean?

NES/SNES/N64/Gamecube were all pretty good and easy to understand, before Nintendo went slightly off the rails With the Wii and Wii U. PlayStation is boring but descripive enough; it's an.. uh.. station where you play? Xbox literally came from DirectX Box, became the Xbox, and then MS went off the rails with the 360, One and Series. But Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast and the unreleased Jupiter and Neptune? Those names don't make much sense for consoles.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Drive is definitely generic.
But not necessarily worse for it. Playstation is an even more generic name ("play" and "station" being very common words) but I rarely see people have a problem with that name.

Edit: Gamecube too actually but, in my opinion, that was a great name.

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Y'all really out here thinking Mega Drive was a better name than Genesis. Putting the word "mega" in your console name is not cool, it's fuckin lame as hell. I'm looking at you too, Nintendo.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Mega Drive... despite not having a drive...

Genesis... despite being their third console... and sounding like a Bible machine?

;)

Dreamcast is the real dud name. Despite everyone getting used to it after a while, it does sound exactly like a fishing rod.

Separate from Sega, Playstation is the all time worst for that, sounds like a Fisher Price train set for babies.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
It had to do with the religious culture of the US. Sega understood that NES was shunned by this sect of the US. The marketing team had to come up with something that was cool enough to appeal to the kids but safe enough for the parents.

They were torn between The Leviticus or The Genesis.

you had me going for a minute there

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mega Drive wouldn't have sold in the US, just like Master System didn't sell. Terrible names.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mega Drive wouldn't have sold in the US, just like Master System didn't sell. Terrible names.
The Master System wasn't really advertised as the Master System in North America before the Genesis came out, though. Commercials usually just called it the Sega system similar to how the NES was usually just Nintendo at the time.

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair most console names are bad, Sega were just extra bad at it. Genesis? Saturn? Dreamcast? Fuck does it mean?

NES/SNES/N64/Gamecube were all pretty good and easy to understand, before Nintendo went slightly off the rails With the Wii and Wii U. PlayStation is boring but descripive enough; it's an.. uh.. station where you play? Xbox literally came from DirectX Box, became the Xbox, and then MS went off the rails with the 360, One and Series. But Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast and the unreleased Jupiter and Neptune? Those names don't make much sense for consoles.
Playstation is a a literal play on the term "Workstation"