• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Drive logo is slick af also

Damn right :D
e2b1684365f5ed52b3b16e2c6707d6ac.jpg

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Well, considering that the US counted for over half of all of the Sega 16bit consoles bought worldwide, Sega America made the right choice in renaming it.

ASEdouard

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
They're both pretty stupid names. North Americans remember the name Genesis fondly and most of the rest of the world does the same for the Mega Drive. That's nostalgia for you.

(was it also called Genesis in Latin America? Anyway, it was the Genesis in Canada too)

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Genesis is WAY cooler a name than Mega Drive, which sounds like it's trying a little too hard to sound cool. And the purple and gray SNES is the best version, instead of the nondescript original one.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Genesis sounds much bolder and interesting then something uninspired like Mega Drive.

Oct 28, 2017
Mega Drive might not be the best name in itself, but the whole "Sega Mega" combo makes it a cool name (Or at least it did for me as a kid of the 90's).

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
might be a rumor, but wasn't the American redesign supposedly based off the issue of people putting their drinks on the flat NES, and spilling them and ruining the console? So they designed the SNES so you could fit a standard cup on it anywhere and prevent people from doing it?

As a a European I'm having a hard time imagining why anyone would try to place their drinks on their Super Famicom, I guess it's kinda possible, it's not like the NES which is just a large flat surface. So I'm leaning on apocryphal.
I do remember reading an interview with the American designer where he said he didn't like the look of the Super Famicom and found that it resembled a lunch box or something. I suspect a lot of these decisions were less informed and more based on personal whims than we might think.
People didn't have the kind of global mindset we do now so local divisions and resellers just had a lot of power to make whatever alterations they pleased.
Yellow peril was big in the 80s and it must've seemed like wise business sense to try and disassociate these products from their country of origin.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still perplexed by the Nintendo SNES form factor decision. One of the most unsightly systems ever. Would have much preferred the Japanese/European counterpart. As far as the Genesis name I have no problems with it. The Sega Genesis name is so synonymous with a great period of time in my life that it will forever stick.
Best looking minis imo:

SNES EU > SFC >>> SNES US
MD JP/Asia > MD EU > Genesis
Coregrafx > PCE >>>>> TG16

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Genesis is a great name. Sounds important and epic. It's a damn sight better than a lot of console names, past and current.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Drive is a pretty awful name for a console. Drive? Makes it sound like a chunky beige hard disk sitting on your TV. It's about the most dull, uninspired name any console has ever had, second only to maybe Family Computer.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
I grew in a Mega Drive territory, so that's the nostalgia winner for me. But I think Genesis is a grander and bolder name, and I think it's objectivelly better.

The only advantages of the Mega Drive name are these two IMO:
  • It's a more flexible scheme for a series of accessories, like the Mega CD or the Mega Modem
  • It kind of fits better in the system wars with the SNES, like a battle of superlatives "Mega vs Super".
Maybe it could have been called the MEGA GENESIS to combine the best of both approaches. But that could have been too much...

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still perplexed by the Nintendo SNES form factor decision. One of the most unsightly systems ever. Would have much preferred the Japanese/European counterpart. As far as the Genesis name I have no problems with it. The Sega Genesis name is so synonymous with a great period of time in my life that it will forever stick.

I think it was just based on the cultural design of the era. In the late 80s/early 90s big and boxy was the style of choice in the west. It always seemed like they wanted the NES to look more like a piece of stereo equipment, and the SNES to look more "mature" than the smaller, multicolored Super Famicom which was almost toy like, especially in the wake of the Genesis launching out here a couple years earlier and really making a play for that older market.

Regarding the Genesis/MegaDrive thing, for some reason I always figured that the change was made because the word "Drive" wasn't really as synonymous with games here as it was in Europe or Japan, where they probably were more used to the idea of playing games off of disc drives (feels like the microcomputer market existed there for much longer than it did in North America), but that was always just an assumption on my part.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
The real question is why wasn't it called the Genesis everywhere else

This. It's shocking to see so many people here saying that Mega Drive was superior, when Genesis was probably one of the most compelling console names ever, managing to be evocative and unique without falling into the trap of trying too hard to seem hip to teen boys. I've never been a big Sega fan, but they had an amazing run of names from the Genesis to the Saturn to the Dreamcast. All of these names position their consoles not as toys or gadgets but as means of transportation to mysterious universes, imagination-fueled time machines and spacecrafts. It's the same sort of branding car manufacturers have been using successfully for decades. It's Don Draper shit.

Honestly, the remaining three console manufacturers are all pretty ho hum at naming. Sony is conservative to a fault (Vita aside). Nintendo did an excellent job with the Switch brand (even if it's more utilitarian and descriptive than imaginative), but most of their previous console names range from bizarre (GameCube, Wii) to decent but lazy (SNES, N64) to completely fucking bewildering (Wii U). And Microsoft ... Do I even need to say what a mess their naming conventions are?

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
OP's premise is faulty.

Purple SNES looked better than the lego-coloured Super Famicom.
Genesis sounds immeasurably cooler than Mega Drive.

Opinions!

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
A friend of my mothers had a Sega Genesis and we called it "the sega" when we played Sonic on it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
"SEGA Mega Drive" still sounds cool

like it's from the future

Yeah as someone in a territory where it was Genesis, I always thought "Mega Drive" sounded like some cool name for a gaming system from like Blade Runner or something. Genesis' design language was cool though pre-redesign before the Genesis 2 and the red stripe boxes.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I've always loved the name "Genesis". Makes it seem more like a revolution or something different and special. "Mega Drive" just seems overly technical.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
i might stand a lone but i like it, feels not directly related to games, less endemic and it's good.
i think most console names are bad and we just get used to them.
I waffle on dreamcast, it's kind of corny but i like it a bit. Katana would have been good though, also Neptune.
but again im in the minority. I like Switch. Do people even remember how weird Wii was when it was first anounced?

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Mega Drive name is bland. Genesis better.

It would be like if the Dreamcast was alternatively called the Super Disk. It's just bleh.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
mega drive sounds like crummy third-rate hardware in the same way playstation, xbox, and gamecube do. genesis, saturn, and dreamcast were awesome names for cool people.

redrohX

Nov 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Funny how the Genesis Mortal Kombat blood code was ABACABB and the band Genesis released an album named Abacab.

The console was named Genesis in the land of confusion.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Genesis was a cooler name and it's marketing reflect it being the right choice. Simple as that.
Also purple SNES is best SNES. OP picking a fight.