• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Maybe it's just the shows I watch, but they're still full of tits, but now there's dicks, minge and asses too. If anything it's more common now.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
RogerCormanHWOFOct2012.jpg

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
That navy movie with the cook saving everybody had a naked girl bursting out of a cake. Outta nowhere I saw big fake boobs.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Under Siege was, by far, the most egregious example.

Erika Eleniak burst out of a huge cake topless for zero reason whatsoever.
That navy movie with the cook saving everybody had a naked girl bursting out of a cake. Outta nowhere I saw big fake boobs.
She was playing a stripper. It's the most thematically-consistent nudity mentioned in this thread.
Right? Was laughing at everyone saying R...everyone forgot about Jaws with full frontal nudity and graphic violence...PG.
My hippie mother had no problem with nudity in movies; she took me to see Animal House, Porky's, etc. But she refused to take me to see Jaws, and it was decades before I discovered that I could have just gone on my own. I always thought it was rated R!

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
First episode of GLOW (netflix series set in the 80's) certainly kept up the tradition.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Lol damn, I don't know how I forgot about that scene in 3. 4's is pretty tame compared to other movies at the time, though.

I never considered the bathtub scene in the first movie to be in line with what the OP's talking about. Same with the shower scene from 5 since she's effectively blurred by the door.

And I've always considered the gratuitous scene in FvJ as more of an F13 thing since it happens in a sequence at Crystal Lake.
4 was free of nudity except for a single shot of breasts (Linnea Quigley cameo btw) during the scene of Freddy being torn apart by his victims. Dunno why that shot exists since it's placed during one of the grossest scenes in the film.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Funny anecdote, I have fond memories of Beastmaster from when I was a kid, and my 9 and 11yr olds have recently shown interest in Sword and Sorcery type media, so I thought I'd show it to them.

Note: I am French, naturalized US citizen and have lived in the US for now 18 years.

I checked the rating: PG.

I remembered it had Tanya Roberts in skimpy outfits, that Marc Singer was bare chested a lot, but mostly about the cool animals and freaky Vampire monster people.

Our whole family was watching happily (cept a moment of unease at first with the baby sacrifice scene and the half naked disfigured witches) when the slave women river bath scene happened.

Possibly NSFW though the image is censored
bm6.jpg

My wife's face and reaction were priceless, and even I was surprised that this had a PG (and due to the intensity of some scenes too).

Ah, the 80's and Tanya Roberts...
But yeah, in most movies it was fairly gratuitous. A John Landis movie, per example, was generally a 100% guaranteed close up shot of boobs if memory serves.
If Beastmaster came on when you were a kid, you'd sit around for an hour for this glimpse. 👍

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory false equivalence: comparing a decrease of female objectification to prudishness
What happened, OP? America became more backwards and old-fashioned. Religous groups gained more influence.

I can't speak for the rest of Europe but in Denmark things really haven't changed much. Of course we have always believed children are harmed more by violence than nudity.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Like everyone else in isolation I've been consuming way too much media for my own good, including classics like Coming to America, Police Academy and Nightmare on Elm Street. What you notice is that it doesn't matter whether it's comedy, horror or any other genre - in movies from that era there is going to be at least one gratuitous shot of an actress' breasts thrown in somewhere, maybe an extra, maybe the main cast, but at the very least one. It's pretty jarring when you watch them back to back like that.

Right now I'm binging through Fargo and on season 3 I had the exact opposite reaction, maybe because I'd just watched the movies above. To avoid specific spoilers a character gets out of the bath and intentionally uses her body to distract another character, but it's almost(probably intentionally) comically shot so that you don't see anything. I'm aware that this was also made to air on TV if I'm correct which may explain that but it was a bizarre contrast.

So what happened to kill that trend? Changing standards in society of what is acceptable? Age ratings for VHS/DVDs? Something else?
I also just binged tf out of Fargo and that shot was kinda strange but Mary Elizabeth Winslow is a treasure so any shot of her is gorgeous

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Ages 4 and up.
Has the chestburster scene as the main play feature.

81giJs0fZDL._SL1280_.jpg

I think I have that in a box in my parent's basement! Like... I probably have a skewed POV on a lot of things, because I watched Alien very young, but my mom found the then-WWF as too much for us to watch (the sex content, granted, but a greasy drunk redneck swearing at his boss and constant innuendos probably would've warped me less than the Chestburster scene)…

This also probably plays a role. Because a lot of the great directors of the 1980s got their foot in the door with Roger Corman (famously, little Jimmy Cameron did special effects work, met Gale Ann Herd, and then they quit working on Pirhana 2: The Spawning to make The Terminator ). And Roger Corman was not afraid of the boobs.

4 was free of nudity except for a single shot of breasts (Linnea Quigley cameo btw) during the scene of Freddy being torn apart by his victims. Dunno why that shot exists since it's placed during one of the grossest scenes in the film.
I just imagine they weren't going to show anything, but Linnea Quigley took her top off as a reflex to being in a horror movie.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
She was playing a stripper. It's the most thematically-consistent nudity mentioned in this thread.
This is a poor argument. The sole reason her role was a stripper was so she could have a topless scene. The plot in no way required her to be a stripper or indeed anything else in particular. They wanted a topless scene so made her a stripper.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
1. The human body is beautiful.
2. How has no one mentioned Trading Places and Jamie Lee Curtis. That fillm has some problems but wow, that was young me's awakening.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
The thread title immediately made me think of Trading Places. Not because of Jaime Lee Curtis but because of the party scene with the topless dancing woman. I always wondered why they included that. It's a strange scene.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Because there was a time when the US was a part of the rest of the world and that goes way beyond Trump and the current situation.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know but i do remember the boom in movies showing breasts all over the place, then it simmered down and then HBO came... I don't mind nudity, hell we had soap commercials with nude women, but when you throw it in there like you're trying to appeal to teenage boys it just takes me out of it. Sometimes it just seems that it doesn't belong there.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What happened, OP? America became more backwards and old-fashioned. Religous groups gained more influence.
In a way, yes, but it's a bit more nuanced than that. Nudity in American cinema tended to be gratuitous and exploitative, it was there for no other reason than to be a special treat to excite men. The reason for that that stemmed from American culture already being backwards and puritanical in that way. Europeans, already comfortable with nudity, had it fit more naturally in their movies, it was more casual and tasteful, and there was usually a reason for it.

So what happened wasn't that Americans got more squeamish with nudity than they already were, it's that society decided that objectification in that manner was no longer acceptable.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can't speak for the rest of Europe but in Denmark things really haven't changed much. Of course we have always believed children are harmed more by violence than nudity.
Women also got more agency and say when it came to roles in Hollywood, but by all means, go off king

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this thread is hilarious in comparison to the threads about women being objectified in media on this very forum.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have seen Ghostbusters so many times (as a kid and adult) and it totally washed over me that Gozer was semi-topless. It wasn't done very sexually.
IIRC, the producers wanted to portray Gozer as a genderless alien god-creature.

Gozer was initially portrayed by a female actress, but the intention was that Gozer could just as easily be male. Or both. Or neither. Such concepts and pigeonholing were beneath Gozer.

Gozer could also change genders on a whim. Like, The Stay Puft Mashmallow Man is literally Gozer, and he's clearly a man (it's right there in his name).

Status
Not open for further replies.