• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
It wasn't at all. It was just in more territories than before. Stop spreading lies because it is one of the reasons why FFVII gets the overrated label. It just had a enormous marketing campaign and state of art cinematics and presentation. It didn't revolutionize anything like that.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
This feels like one of those "Nobody knew about this until i did" declarations that you see constantly on the internet.

Like JRPG and Final Fantasy were already popular and known before FFVII came out. Yes FFVII was more popular simply because of how popular the PS1 was and the gaming audience constantly growing. But seriously this notion that JRPG as a genre was a super niche thing that only a handful of people knew about pre FFVII needs to die.

OP
OP
Trago

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like one of those "Nobody knew about this until i did" declarations that you see constantly on the internet.

Like JRPG and Final Fantasy were already popular and known before FFVII came out. Yes FFVII was more popular simply because of how popular the PS1 was and the gaming audience constantly growing. But seriously this notion that JRPG as a genre was a super niche thing that only a handful of people knew about pre FFVII needs to die.

And who is saying that?

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
2 reasons
1) It was "cool"
2) In America the numbering jump from 3 to 7 along with how insane it looked just made it feel like a game from the future.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While the remake is cool, the original still gave me goose bump.

Peak CD ROM gaming right there.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

They were niche. FF was Persona status before FFVII came out. Like many people in the thread said they are people who never played JRPGs before who played FFVII.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
yFPS4n4goAWurR6wwRUSqljCezdb9kTNP0rjB2TBBXY.jpg

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, No one mentioned this I will

Game hit during a period in parts of the western world where anime was begining to become a known regular part of entertainment. The late 90's and the early 00's being a sort of anime boom. And this game a long with advertising, quality of game itself and the visuals. Hit a bunch of children and adolescents when they were figuruing out there were more anime than tenchi muyo , initial D , sailor moon, Yu yu Hakusho and dragonball.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
It's not that FF7 was the first JRPG to be popular outside of Japan. It's that it was the first JRPG to be massively popular outside of Japan. There were 8-bit & 16-bit JRPGs that sold a few hundred thousand copies in North America, but FF7 sold millions.

It's like the jump from Persona 4 to Persona 5. Persona started out as an extremely niche series in the US. By Persona 4 Golden, it had a dedicated fanbase & modest popularity, but then Persona 5 came out and it sold exponentially better than any game in the series previous. Persona 4 Golden was a big deal among the hardcore JRPG community, but Persona 5 was a big deal among the gaming community at large. Likewise, before FF7, Final Fantasy was a big deal among JRPG fans, but FF7 turned it into one of the biggest series in gaming in general.
This is so so apt

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
It was 1997. I was 10 and seeing this on TV

It blew my mind. I had to have this game even though I knew nothing about it. First game I ever pre-ordered.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will y'all stop asking this question and just watch this video

It wasn't just the advertising, graphics, and presentation either, (although all those elements did get eyes on the game). It took JRPG mechanics and made them more accessible and there are many moments where they told the story through gameplay mechanics. To a further degree than other mainstream RPGs at the time.

Just watched the video. It's not because someone made a video that everything in it is real.

FF7 was popular because of the advertising, the graphics and the presentation. The game didn't reinvented the wheel at all besides that.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
This rarely ever gets brought up but Neon Genesis Evangelion's influence on the way the narrative unfolds in FF7 (especially with regards to how dense and seemingly impenetrable the deeper layers of the themes it explored appeared to be) cannot be overstated, especially considering how insanely popular Eva was at that point in time and that FF7 was one of the first games to properly capitalize on that particular zeitgeist.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
Final Fantasy VII ushered the golden age of console JRPGs. Even Western developers started making clones of JRPGs just to cash in on the craze.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
By popularized you mean introduced the mass market who never did to play a JRPG? I think that's Final Fantasy 15.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I havent read the replies but this is incredibly well documented and not really a mystery in the slightest.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The game barely advertised itself with gameplay, you just saw stills from cutscenes and such. It was pretty clever and set the game apart from pretty much everything else on the market, which was either using in-game assets or goofy live action commercials.

Also it was the first mainline Final Fantasy to be released in Europe and arguably the first major JRPG period (we also missed Chrono Trigger and even Super Mario RPG). It basically popularized the genre over an entire continent. Wouldn't be surprised if that had ripple effects on the public perception, especially as the internet was in its infancy.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Pokemon Red and Blue expanded the genre more than FFVII did

Not that FFVII wasn't also a huge deal, but I wouldn't say it was the one game that did it

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The marketing blitz behind this game was huge and it took perfect advantage of the technology at the time.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I think it popularized/revitalized Final Fantasy the brand more than jrpgs
I have no reason to believe that even half of the JRPGs that got localized during the PS1 era and beyond would've been if not for FFVII's success, be it from Square or otherwise.
By popularized you mean introduced the mass market who never did to play a JRPG? I think that's Final Fantasy 15.
The mass market knew what Final Fantasy was long, long before XV.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Europe finally (no pun intended) got FF.

But it's all been well documented. I'll look through some Edge Magazines and report back if I find stuff of interest.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
It was the right game at the right time (it was the epitome of cinematic experience in gaming that Sony was pushing hard on PS1 and thus Sony bankrolled a $30M marketing campaign to make it a success in western markets).
Here a copy and paste of a recent post about the same argument:

I think some aren't giving FFVII enough credit.
FFVII was an RPG conceived to expand the potential audience of the genre through a few hooks that were uncommon until that point.
Under this regard the other RPG that had the same mission was Super Mario RPG again by Square.
While the two have a different tone and different hooks it is very clear that Square put the best care possible to design such games to make them more palatable for gamers that were always put off by the more intellectual and low tempo nature of RPGs and that weren't allured by the genre yet.
Super Mario RPG tried to be a saturday morning cartoon with lots of humor and action elements that were novel for the genre (a button dedicated to "jumping" was quite odd for RPG, timed action during the standard commands which would return later in FFVIII).
Final Fantasy VII tried to be a seamless cinematic experience were FMV sequences and in-game sequences blended together (sometime even using real time polygonal models over a FMV as background).
Both have some common traits like the presence of a in-game tutorial to explain the RPG rules to novices (in-game tutorials were quite uncommon for the time and often the info on how to play a game were stuck in the manual or even the official guides), lots of minigames to give the illusion of a bigger breadth of actions compared what was usually assumed for a fairly static genre, shying away from the typical top down perspective for more cinematic vistas, the massive use of latest cutting edge CGI for everything within the game.
These games weren't sold to the masses by the turn based battles or by the statistic driven gameplay, they were sold by the associations with more popular experiences (the action in Super Mario games, the gripping narrative in movies), by the mini games that imitated more widely known genres (usually more action arcade oriented), by the expansive world and long playtime compared the other action games, by the cutting edge graphics and sound and the entertaining stories (be it for the comic relief as the case with SMRPG or the more serious tone of FFVII) and their visual representation.

Looking at the back cover of SMRPG (japanese version) and FFVII (PAL version) and the screenshot they choose to show highlight the above (from top to bottom):
- Widely known "Princess Peach is kidnapped" scene but with richer visuals.
- Chasing Booster mini game which show Mario jumping over a barrel which recall the typical Super Mario sequence of actions but from a new perspective.
- A battle sequence which show the the coolness and fanciness of the spectacle.
- Everything (game screenshots, background) is covered by cutting edge (for the time) CGI graphics.
62aLfQN.jpg

- Game is like a movie (over 120 minutes of cinematic sequence, movie usually lasted between 90 and 120 minutes hence the association)
- Massive world (hundreds of characters in the world).
- A battle sequence which show the the coolness and fanciness of the spectacle.
- Show mini game section with uncommon action for the genre (explictely "intense arcade action sequences")
- Everything (game screenshots, background) is covered by cutting edge (for the time) CGI graphics.
6NsRkq6.jpg

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Quality.

The visuals, the cutscenes, the music, the story and the theme.

It was also a entry of a popular JRPG franchise and the first of its series to jump into 3D - also heavily advertised.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It was mid 1997, imagine you watching this FMV in september, or even before if you had the chance to play the japanese version (like me):

My friends don't even care if the game was "RPG" honestly. Final Fantasy VII was a cinematic spectacle, an in-your-face Hollywood production on a 3 CD-ROM package, with state of the art CGI. It was like the Jurassic Park of gaming for most people.

I know some people will find this "offensive" but for some of my friends the quality of the game at first was even a funny secondary effect. The Squaresoft FMV and prerender show was damn too revolutionary.

Also I'm from a country that didn't have a single TV commercial or ad campaign and still was THE game of 1997 here for so many people. It was really that impressive.

Yup.

EVERYONE is my school was playing FF7. It just took over. And it was the spectacle of it. Nobody had played previous FF games at my school in middle England. Nothing looked like it. PlayStation was massive and everyone had one for Tomb Raider or Wipeout or whatever and then BOOM these amazing CGI cutscenes that transitioned into gameplay (backgrounds), epic huge story and bonkers advertising campaign. It was all anyone was talking about.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I wish we have data because I think FFXV is most people first JRPG and Final Fantasy.

I'm not talking game enthusiasts here.
And VII, X, and even XIII were commonly people's first JRPG and FF before XV as games ushering in new console generations. Nothing's particularly special about that one.

I never said I was talking about enthusiasts.
Final Fantasy didn't even have a worldwide release before FFVII. Let alone a marketing campaign anywhere near on that scale. You weren't seeing advertisements for FFVI in theaters.
Oh I know and agree, just disputing their notion that it was something people only just came to know with XV.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A mix of being an excellent game, great graphics and FMVs for its time and a very expensive marketing campaign. Resulting in a perfect brew of success.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon Red and Blue expanded the genre more than FFVII did

Not that FFVII wasn't also a huge deal, but I wouldn't say it was the one game that did it

Although Pokémon Red & Blue came out before FF7 in Japan, there was a really long gap before it got a NA release and then another year before it was released in EU, with the result that FF7 came out 1-2 years earlier in regions outside Japan.

Also, for whatever reason (perhaps because it's so massively popular), a lot of people view Pokémon as its own thing and not as a JRPG, even though it's blatantly a turn-based JRPG.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I know and agree, just disputing their notion that it was something people only just came to know with XV.
For a lot of people it genuinely was their first experience with a JRPG. Arguably for the majority of the audience FFVII was their first experience.

Although Pokémon Red & Blue came out before FF7 in Japan, there was a really long gap before it got a NA release and then another year before it was released in EU, with the result that FF7 came out 1-2 years earlier in regions outside Japan.

Also, for whatever reason (perhaps because it's so massively popular), a lot of people view Pokémon as its own thing and not as a JRPG, even though it's blatantly a turn-based JRPG.
From an outside perspective, that feels like the result of Pokemon actively avoiding most of the tropes that became commonly associated with JRPGS, like the idea of a cast comprised of anime tropes.

Shahed

Oct 27, 2017
UK, Newcastle
Well I didn't even know RPG's existed before FFVII.

Despite being the seventh game in the series, playing FFVII for the first time was special. I had never played or even conceived the idea of a game like that ever. There was nothing like it. It completely changed my gaming tastes and my idea of what games could be.

To this day because of it, JRPG's are still my favourite genre

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was the first big 3D JRPG. Right place at the right time

Lol wut. There are tons of JRPGs. I don't think i've met a single person where they weren't aware of the genre before FF15
There are many people out there who never played an FF or JRPG until XV. That's what I meant, and the posted I was replying to meant (I think?)