• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 24, 2018
Been watching some old episodes of The Simpsons today in the background as I was working and the character Disco Stu popped up and it made me wonder, why did the US turn against (and violently given stuff like Disco Demolition Night) Disco in the 80s to the point that just saying Disco was considered a joke in US Media for over three decades? Like I've seen many cartoons and live action works from those times and the only series that I can think of that didn't mock Disco when brought up was Transformers G1 with Jazz, Blaster and Soundwave's love of Disco and techno.

Honestly reading about it, it's hard not to see the undertones of racism, homophobia and sexism and feels like it was an attempt by white supremacists to shut down a genre of music that was popular, inclusive and produced by women, black and gay people and the media at the time latched onto it and encouraged it for decades through both children's and adults media.

It also feels connected to another thing about music that I never got; that only Rock music is "real" music and genres like techno, Disco, Jazz, the many different forms of pop etc aren't or too corporate to be "real. This is despite Rock music can be just as generic, follow the leader, limited (especially in what instruments can be used) and corporate as any other genre. Hell some of the most famous rock musicians were massive sell outs.

It comes across that white supremacist and the media at the time latched around rock music as a way to attack Disco (while completely ignoring Rock's origins and people like Wynonie Harris, Goree Carter, Jimmy Preston, Jackie Brenston & Chuck Berry) as I've seen similar (though nowhere near as extreme or as loud) when it came to techno in the early 00s (like Eminem's homophobic rants about techno performers in his songs) or the hatred toward Euro-pop and Eurovision by some rock fans seemingly because of it's popularity with LGBTQ+ people. To be clear I'm not accusing Rock performers themselves as racist, homopboic etc, just that hate groups attached themselves to it the same way that's happened so many times (like that time they attached themselves to Alita: Battle Angel to attack Captain Marvel and Brie Larson).

Am I correct or am I looking way to deep into it? I know it's repeated that a lot of hate was due to oversaturation, but we;ve seen musical genres and other media genres like Zombies in movies or MMOs, Military Shooters and Battle Royales in gaming become oversaturated as well and never was the backlash that big our loud. That also doesn't explain why the media just wouldn't let it go to the point it just became the "Aquaman sucks!" for music where people just seemed to repeat it over and over without actually knowing or experiencing it to the point it didn't make much sense by the end.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Nah, you got it one. Black people, gay people, and women were successful in disco, so mainstream culture had to take it down.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Past fads tend to be the focus of a lot of ridicule when their time ends. The cyclical nature of culture makes it so when the zeitgeist has "passed" a moment we tend to try to bury that moment until it becomes old enough that it winds up becoming nostalgic again.

Think of it like how the 80s wasn't exactly lovingly reflected in media in the late 90s to early 2000s until it became old enough for people to start looking back at the era nostalgically.

Disco is semi-unique because it's one of those buried fads that largely just never came back.

Jun 3, 2022
Really good point that the generation that grew up on rock and roll culture had largely internalized the idea that it was the only legitimate form of popular music. I remember being a kid and hearing my parents talk about how rap was going to be the next disco — I laugh now to think about how hip-hop is probably the most popular form of music in the world, and rock is effectively a dead legacy genre.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
In some part, they got overplayed. The BeeGees talked about how they were getting so popular that radio stations were advertising times that they wouldn't play them. They just stopped producing hits under their name and started designing hits for other people.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Prolly the same reason pop/boybands were hated in the late 90s. Toxic Masculinity

Disco is pretty great. Love the new disco/funk stuff these days

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impressions it was a fad that hit really hard at the time. The number of parodies of Saturday Night Fever and the like were ad nausea. Basically it was a bubble that burst.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There are some factors here that happen consistantly. New generations can be down on previous trends, to the point they almost ridicule then. This is seen across genres.

And the "oinly rock is real music" thing I heard a lot as I was into rock music, and I actually said it myself when I was around 15.. but back then I was actually in the minority still. I don't think that is as widespread as you think.

I'm sure there are elements of homophobia and racism, but I can also understand the dislike of the disco sound. It's one of the few genres that I find really off putting sonically and musically. I dug the fashion though, as a 90s teen I was pretty much a hippy/grunge kid for years.

Past fads tend to be the focus of a lot of ridicule when their time ends. The cyclical nature of culture makes it so when the zeitgeist has "passed" a moment we tend to try to bury that moment until it becomes old enough that it winds up becoming nostalgic again.

Think of it like how the 80s wasn't exactly lovingly reflected in media in the late 90s to early 2000s until it became old enough for people to start looking back at the era nostalgically.

Disco is semi-unique because it's one of those buried fads that largely just never came back.

Pretty much.

Nu-metal was another one.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Am I correct or am I looking way to deep into it?

You're spot on.

This episode of You're Wrong About focusing on Disco Demolition Night talks about it. It's a great listen if you've never heard it before.

yourewrongabout.buzzsprout.com

Disco Demolition Night - You're Wrong About

Mike tells Sarah how a silly sports promotion galvanized a reactionary movement. Digressions include “Charlotte’s Web,” Jane Fonda and German-language musicals. Songs are dissected; the honor of David Bowie and late-night salad bars are defended.H...

Last edited:

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Nah, you got it one. Black people, gay people, and women were successful in disco, so mainstream culture had to take it down.
Yep it's this, sadly. I was born in 1980 and I've always felt a lot of disco has absolutely stood the test of time.

But then again, I am queer, even if I didn't put that together until more recently.

Seriously though, I'm supposed to think Do The Hustle is bad? The disco version of Heart of Glass? September? Disco Inferno?

Freaking Don't Leave me this Way?

Yeah. No. Those were great compositions then, and ever since.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Disco is interesting because it never came back - compared to like other trends we see that either comeback or "retro". Whereas disco is dated. Anyways, sucks cause disco has some bangers.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Yep it's this, sadly. I was born in 1980 and I've always felt a lot of disco has absolutely stood the test of time.

But then again, I am queer, even if I didn't put that together until more recently.

Seriously though, I'm supposed to think Do The Hustle is bad? The disco version of Heart of Glass? September? Disco Inferno?

Freaking Don't Leave me this Way?

Yeah. No. Those were great compositions then, and ever since.

TWINSIES. Also a 80 baby, also a Disco appreciator. There's some good DJs that spin disco remixes on Twitch, actually. I recommend Dial Jess's disco streams for a good time.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
It's kind of interesting seeing so many people say that disco "died". As a kid in Europe in the early 00s, I can gladly tell you that we were experiencing a disco revival with a lot of the popular music at the time.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Outside the bigotry, the sound changed into 80s pop eventually.

Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was just a few years after disco 'died'. You can actually trace the sounds of disco and see how they changed through pop music to the present day.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Honestly reading about it, it's hard not to see the undertones of racism, homophobia and sexism and feels like it was an attempt by white supremacists to shut down a genre of music that was popular, inclusive and produced by women, black and gay people and the media at the time latched onto it and encouraged it for decades through both children's and adults media.
It is this, which is a decline that is well documented and has been observed for decades. The rebellion against disco was very firmly rooted in all of these things specifically and explicitly. However it is not ONLY this.

Disco was characterized by two things:
  • Disco tracks were often longer than normal songs so people could dance continuously, for longer, to the same song.
  • Disco was cheesy and campy, which is not an innate detriment but made it vulnerable to scorn for not being "cool" in an era of edge.
Longer songs meant fewer songs played during DJ sets, and fewer songs meant less variety in the music, so a lot of popular disco songs were really overplayed. Hearing the same song too often and having to wait it out was increasingly detrimental to the disco experience, especially in an era where there were fewer means of music distribution. People just naturally got tired of of hearing a lot of the same songs, and the same types of songs, and their appetite for it diminished.

The camp as well made the genre unattractive to youth who were more interested in edgier, more rebellious music. While disco was defined by its marginalized audiences and artists, the music itself was focused on feeling good and having fun. This is not something people were looking for in the 80s and early 90s, so disco was rejected wholesale as what we would today call "cringe." It rapidly went out of fashion as an unstylish and lame genre for old people.

However even with these two challenges, disco could have remained a popular subculture and had a lucrative audience, but the inhospitable social environment of the time meant disco couldn't just be fringe, it had to be destroyed - and so it was.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

Exactly.

Disco came to symbolize what was, at the time, the frontlines of the Queer/Sexual revolution. Once that happened, the religious right targeted it, and those sentiments just kind of bled into the general perception of Disco over time.

I mean, Disco gifted us Sylvester, Disco/Queer icon and singer of the eternal Bop "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)"

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I remember on That 70's Show there was an episode where they went to some disco burning thing which struck me as strange. Years later it clicked in my head "Oh, black music, that's it."

Luixfern

Oct 27, 2017
OP,

I recommend you watch this fantastic documentary on the history of house music, it speaks a lot about how it was born out of disco and speaks a lot about the points your brought up.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disco is interesting because it never came back - compared to like other trends we see that either comeback or "retro". Whereas disco is dated. Anyways, sucks cause disco has some bangers.
Disco is very much alive and many modern styles have its roots in disco.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
Racism and homophobia, you got it.

Rock music was for a long time seen as one of the only "serious" form of pop music because the entire concept of the album as a unique form of art, the studio as an artistic tool, and criticism that treated pop music as worthy of deep critical consideration evolved in tandem with rock music in the 60's.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
That was 100% it.
Bigots afraid of change.
Not too different form establishment people burning rock & roll records in the '50s.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Toxic masculinity and homophobia definitely played a factor, but from the perspective of someone who grew up in the 80s and 90s, through out my childhood and teens (born in '84) counter culture was "cool". Any band or group that seemed commercialized and mass produced was immediately deemed a "sell out" and were hated. I imagine that was the reaction to disco being mega popular in the 70s, disco was basically the epitome of super commercialized mass produced music. Same reason why boy bands were super popular but also hated.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
20% racism, 20% homophobia, 20% sexism, 20% annoyance at just how overplayed it was, 20% limitations of the genre's musical characteristics

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it ever went away. Various evolutions of that kind of four-on-the-floor sound have been mainstream throughout the 80s all the way through to today.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Reading about the backlash it always felt to me, like the INTENSE backlash, was more than just not caring for a particular genre of music. If something's not your thing you move on and find something you'd rather listen to instead. You don't waste your time trying to destroy it.

To me reading about the backlash and wanting to DESTROY disco it always felt like it had something to do with people not liking the types of people that were finding success within the genre.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Ignorant me never considered the racist and homophobic angle, that's obviously a big part of it. As others have mentioned, people saw it as a threat to rock music...same thing we saw in video games when the Wii got popular, a lot of gamers thought that grannies playing wii bowling were a threat to GTA and CoD and viewed the system as an affront.

Disco is very much alive and many modern styles have its roots in disco.

Not to the same extent though. In the 70s it was cultural, it impacted fashion, movies, tv, etc.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
For me as a kid growing up in the 80s Disco was just seen as corny and something your parents liked so you automatically disliked

that kind of attitude seems to be less prevalent nowadays, I think its because corporations have learned how to spread stuff across multi generations (MCU, Star Wars, streaming shows, music, foods, etc) but from the 1950s - 1990s it was very common for something to be hated just because your parents liked it. Westerns, 70s sitcoms, disco, 60s & 70s pop songs, TONS of fashion, hair styles, jello, etc.

Most kids nowadays make fun of 90s hair metal bands but it was insanely popular in the late 80s and 90s.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has some parallels with hair metal. It was considered somewhat shallow and cheesy, and had fashion that would be considered outdated quickly. Things that are considered to be fads of an era tend to be mocked soon afterwards.

Both genres had some pretty catchy songs, though.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You got it to a T OP. Racism, homophobia and misogyny married to counter culture, also they tried to do the same to Hip-Hop but failed.

Extract of an Intelexual Media video that touches on the "Disco Sucks" movement.

Full video

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
For me as a kid growing up in the 80s Disco was just seen as corny and something your parents liked so you automatically disliked

that kind of attitude seems to be less prevalent nowadays, I think its because corporations have learned how to spread stuff across multi generations (MCU, Star Wars, streaming shows, music, foods, etc) but from the 1950s - 1990s it was very common for something to be hated just because your parents liked it. Westerns, 70s sitcoms, disco, 60s & 70s pop songs, TONS of fashion, hair styles, jello, etc.

Most kids nowadays make fun of 90s hair metal bands but it was insanely popular in the late 80s and 90s.
This is my own experience with it. Disco was just some corny shit your parents used to be into. Then I'd go and listen to a Def Leppard cassette.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It was because a lot of sounded generic and samey. The culture of night clubs and drug use/sex was also looked down upon.

The music had no meaning or purpose. People got tired of it. They reverted back to music that had a message or stories.