• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
I still don't understand how they could have thought that an actor so wooden and devoid of personality would be a good choice for Peter.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if he's the best one, but he's featured in the best movies. Honestly, as much as I love the new ones, their connection to the MCU are actually hurting them from a storytelling perspective. Too much tech, too much stuff about Iron Man, etc.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EPH1IGy.jpg
HYTl5fl.jpg

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I absolutely miss the crazy corny films. They're amazing and fully self aware about how hilariously stupid it actually is. Also, that lunch tray scene is crazy good considering there's no CG involved.!

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I always find it weird when people complain about the new Spider-Man movies having too many connections to the MCU. Like it's not a real Spider-Man movie unless no other heroes are mentioned.

This is literally how the Marvel universe has been since day one.

Fucking Amazing Spider-Man #1 has the Fantastic Four on the cover.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be honest. The Raimi films, a little dated, yes, but do I think they hold up? Yes.

If you want to talk about superhero movies from that time period that do not hold up very well, I think the X-Men movies are a much better example.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tobey wasnt great but his material is superior. Tom isnt great either, and as others said, wannabe Tony Stark undermines him ontop of the multi billion dollar resources available to him. Yes, Raimi Spidey is superior, but both actors are serviceable.

Because if you were 12 when Spider-Man came out, making it a formative film of your youth, you are 29 now. You're just starting to feel old, and noticing things that you identify with your youth and prime are starting to be seen as old and outdated. Some people, when they experience this, will lash out and try to reassert the dominance or quality of the thing they identify with more closely, and the Raimi Spider-Man films are currently big in that department because the new Spider-Man is killing it so hard in ways the Raimi films never could.

I mean there are aspects of the Raimi films that are very arguably better or more "true to the comics" than what the MCU is doing with the character, but the sheer volume of the Raimi stanning (and not just on this site) and the general age of those involved indicates the backlash has a definite generational tilt to it. Something similar is happening with the Star Wars prequels, as people who grew up with those awful movies suddenly recoil from the success of the vastly superior sequel trilogy and inflate the value of the prequels in response; of course, it's a lot easier to be a Raimi stan in this context because at least the Raimi movies were actually good.
Poor argument, none of us were alive for many great movies (Godfather, Starwars) but can easily assert what is quality cinema compared to contemporary cinema without the period blinding our judgement.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't have a problem with Tom. I have a problem with MCU and Marvel riskless formula. It's an universe than I can't empathise that much and most movies are mediocre for me. I can see potential in him.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I always find it weird when people complain about the new Spider-Man movies having too many connections to the MCU. Like it's not a real Spider-Man movie unless no other heroes are mentioned.

He fights Dr. Doom in his fifth issue.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The first two Raimi Spiderman films aged so poorly that the disaster that is the 3rd film is now way more fun to watch than either of the first two, because at least it's bad enough to be funny. Seriously, Spiderman 2 was on TV a short while ago, and geez, it's not that good. People who pray at its altar need to take a step back and get some perspective.
How is it not good?
And how are the new ones better?

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I love this video and I love how upset people get from it. I also love the first two Raimi movies.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
guys. raimi spider-man 1 and 2 reviewed waaaay better than homecoming and far from home. it's incredibly incorrect to say the mcu version are better films. at this point, the denial of the disparity in quality is literally blind following of a fandom.

Spider-Man 2: 93% RT
Homecoming: 92% RT
Far From Home: 90% RT
Spider-Man: 90% RT
Spider-Man 3: 63% RT

Spiderman 2: 83 MC
Homecoming: 73 MC
Spiderman: 73 MC
Far From Home: 69 MC
Spiderman 3: 59 MC

So Spider-Man 2 is a little better reviewed, but not hugely so, and Spider-Man 1 definitely isn't. It has also the benefit of being compared to the crap that was being passed around for superhero movies at the time and not the MCU. Imagine if Far From Home released at a time where most of it's competition was on the level of Batman v Superman.

Last edited:

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While I enjoyed the Rami movies at the time, I vastly prefer the current MCU ones.

I mean the rubble scene in homecoming is literally better than any scene in the Rami trilogy imo, it's just such a raw moment.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

It's the nature of the connections. Spider-Man number 1 had a two page sequence meeting the FF. Far From Home had the shadow of Tony Stark over the whole thing.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Poor argument, none of us were alive for many great movies (Godfather, Starwars) but can easily assert what is quality cinema compared to contemporary cinema without the period blinding our judgement.

Um.... I saw Star Wars in the theater on release (now THERE'S a movie I have nostalgia goggles for).

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
That's the complaint. Peter is overshadowed by a character who is dead and not even in the movie.

I like FFH a lot, but would like it more without so much Iron Man focus.
He's not overshadowed by Iron Man, the loss of Iron Man is key to Peter's development and feeling of pressure and weight on his shoulder. As well as his relationship with Mysterio. And his big climactic moment is using spider sense, not iron tech, to take down the villain.

You can't take away the shadow of Iron Man if you want it to continue naturally from Endgame and Homecoming, or without it being a totally different movie.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man 2 is the best Spider-Man film ever made, but Tom Holland is a good Spider-Man. Maguire and Holland are different and that's OK.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Don't have a problem with Tom. I have a problem with MCU and Marvel riskless formula. It's an universe than I can't empathise that much and most movies are mediocre for me. I can see potential in him.

Riskless formula? They built their brand on risks and succeeded. Had Iron Man failed they bank would have sold off all their IP's.

These are all huge risks:

images

images

images

MV5BNDYxNjQyMjAtNTdiOS00NGYwLWFmNTAtNThmYjU5ZGI2YTI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It's the nature of the connections. Spider-Man number 1 had a two page sequence meeting the FF. Far From Home had the shadow of Tony Stark over the whole thing.

Almost as if growing out of that shadow was the entire point and the development for Peter.

Riskless formula? They built their brand on risks and succeeded. Had Iron Man failed they bank would have sold off all their IP's.

images

images

images

MV5BNDYxNjQyMjAtNTdiOS00NGYwLWFmNTAtNThmYjU5ZGI2YTI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

It feels like yesterday when we read stuff like "you just can't do a Superhero team up movie"

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The MCU has taken huge risks continuously, it just all feels normal now it's taken for granted

They've also taken the biggest risk by far for any Spider-Man movie with the ending of FFH.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

images

images

images

MCU was absolutely a risk. Including some of the above as well.

The overabundance of success is honestly why the formula has stuck so long and people are waiting for at least one of the films to flop do they can jump with joy.

The thing with the MCU is that it's so successful that a lot of what they do will no longer be seen as a risk unless it's some bizarre choice big enough to end said success.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Bingo. The new spider man can't do Jack without an army of help. He's so clueless and needs constant hand holding from Tony.

The Tobey Spider man movies are classics and helped pave the way for the super hero explosion. Kids nowadays don't seem to understand that. And more importantly, they are just superior and more well rounded movies. They can all stand on their own.

Edit: And using global gross made on the movies is a really weak and silly way of "proving" the new movies are a better film. It's especially weak given how much the landscape has changed for super hero movies and their markets.

Unfortunately, it's too subjective. I prefer the old and some will prefer the new.

I'm one of the older people on Era, been reading Spidey for my entire life. I never liked Tobey, and the Raimi films only covered a very, very small spectrum of who Spidey is.

The MCU films do a far better job at capturing a young Peter Parker than any of the other movies ever did.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Prefer Tobey over Garfield and Holland.

Yes his Spidey might be dated compared to later interpretations. I found the character a lot better in the Raimi movies. I'm not a fan of Holland's Spidey, his line delivery is not that good - too whiny.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tom Holland is better. It's okay.
I strongly believe that Spider-Man 2 is the GOAT superhero movie but even I can agree that Tom Holland is a step above every other person to put on the tights.

MCU was absolutely a risk. Including some of the above as well.

The overabundance of success is honestly why the formula has stuck so long and people are waiting for at least one of the films to flop do they can jump with joy.

The thing with the MCU is that it's so successful that a lot of what they do will no longer be seen as a risk unless it's some bizarre choice big enough to end said success.

I don't see how anyone can view the Eternals as anything but a risk. I read Marvel shit avidly for years and even I went "Fucking who?!" when it got announced.

Last edited:

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
After FFH Holland's appeal started to wear thin. No chemistry with MJ and boring as Spiderman. Bummer.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
After FFH Holland's appeal started to wear thin. No chemistry with MJ and boring as Spiderman. Bummer.
Interesting take. Not saying you're wrong, just genuinely perplexed as two of the most universally praised aspects of FFM were Holland and his chemistry with Zendaya- even with those that thought the movie was only "ok".

I binged a playlist of reviews because while I enjoyed FFH, I felt like I was the only one that saw issues with the movie and wasn't head over heels. I just needed to know I wasn't being a crab and I generally agree with some of the "nitpicks". I'd give it a solid B but it didn't reach the heights of EtSV, S2 or even Homecoming for me.

But yeah Holland and his MJ relationship were not issues that I had, those two elements work really, really well

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
So you think FFH would be a better movie if one of the key themes, and Peter's primary internal conflict was removed?

It would have been better if that key conflict weren't tied to some other movie. MCU SPider-Man will always be defined by "the kid trying to be/growing into the Iron Man role" now. They seriously could have left it the conflict between wanting to take a vacation from Spider-Man and the responsibility of a hero. No need for EDITH, Mysterio could have had a Stark-free origin, and no Happy coming along to hold Peter's hand.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Completely opposite of my experience.

Is "no chemistry" the same kinda thing as "stakes" and "pacing problems"? Because I thought they had plenty of chemistry and Holland is the best thing about an already-great movie.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I agree with a lot of the points raised in the video. I think it's more of a problem with FFH than Homecoming though. In that in Homecoming, Peter has to make decisions and sacrifices because he's Spider-Man. FFH has very little of that and it largely ends up working in his favor outside of the credits teaser. Peter's life in the MCU is way too good essentially.