• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
So, I should be able to plug my Schiit Modi into a console and it would still work?
Hoping that I won't need jitterbug or some extra hardware.

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
If you use your tv optical out then you can listen to anything plugged into the tv including the built in apps. Barring this I've bin using a cheap £15 hdmi audio extractor on my projector setup upstairs to get optical audio to an older aio sound system.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Though true, is there an option you have to enable to activate the optical port on the Xbox?
There's no way for an optical transmitter to know if it's connected to anything on the other end, so they would only have usage data on this if you had to manually enable the optical port (most transmit at all times).

I dont have my Xbox with me right now, but I seem to remember the optical audio being an option in the dash.
I cant remember if it defaults off or stereo.
But there def is an option for what kind of audio you want from th optical port.
xbox-one-hdmi-settings.jpg

^Couldnt find a good picture of the menu.

The cutest part about this is planning to sell 100 million units

Its anecdotal if he said one cost 2 dollars and we sell 32 million units....it doesnt quite have the same impact as saying a rounded number.
I mean he could have said 10 or 50 but going a hundred just drives the point home quickly....I dont think thats the actual projection he has in his head.

You copied a marketing blurb with zero relevance to anything except for maybe the assumptions you're making about why I'm using the optical out in the first place.

Yes I know, piling another box, extra wires, and another god damn AC adapter is one potential way of frankensteining my way to another usable setup which still somehow doesn't make me super happy about them dropping the optical out.

I was gonna give a detail reply but realized its not worth my time.
There no optical port....find a way to deal with.
Peace.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is fine. Better options exist now.

At least they were the ones who put 4K disc players in their consoles and are allowed to use Dolby, unlike the other company who paid for neither.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I
Its anecdotal if he said one cost 2 dollars and we sell 32 million units....it doesnt quite have the same impact as saying a rounded number.
I mean he could have said 10 or 50 but going a hundred just drives the point home quickly....I dont think thats the actual projection he has in his head.

I was just kidding, I know it's not an official estimate from their analysts

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
People need to stop equating TOSLINK with Component video.
If you want uncompressed stereo audio, TOSLINK is generally equivalent, if not superior to HDMI or USB due to its electrical isolation.
There are advantages to HDMI for sound bars though; such as CEC control and automatic lip-sync correction (and Atmos/lossless audio for high-end equipment).

Honestly y'all have already been on borrowed time for like a decade. Time to buy a modern AVR.
Most people using optical are either using it for headsets/headphones, or sound bars which don't have an HDMI input. Buying an AVR doesn't help either of those groups.

So long as your display supports HDMI-ARC, I don't think it will be a major issue for people.
It looks like you can get a USB-powered HDMI-ARC extractor with EDID control for $25 or so:
I'm not endorsing either of those, but they were the cheapest I found which met all that criteria.

Receivers not supporting 4k is the bigger issue now.
HDMI audio has been a scam from the very beginning.
It's only now with HDMI 2.1 that we finally have a full-bandwidth audio return channel: something which should have been in the spec from day one.
But you still need to buy an HDMI 2.1-equipped AVR to use that feature.
They couldn't just let your display pass through the audio as-is, so that it was compatible with any existing AVR, oh no. They have to squeeze that last upgrade out of you before they finally stop audio hardware upgrades being required just to pass through new video formats.

I dont have my Xbox with me right now, but I seem to remember the optical audio being an option in the dash.
I cant remember if it defaults off or stereo.
But there def is an option for what kind of audio you want from th optical port.
xbox-one-hdmi-settings.jpg
Ah, it looks like there is in fact an "off" option, so they will know exactly how many people are actually using it.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cause people somehow have no problem with spending $500 on a console and $1000 on a TV but complain about updating their audio system like companies should just piss away 100's of millions of dollars so a handful don't have to upgrade their decade old sound system.

because it's just surround systems isn't it? Not like gaming headset manufacturers are selling optical out headsets. And decades old equipment? I bought a brand new headset at Christmas.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Most people using optical are either using it for headsets/headphones, or sound bars which don't have an HDMI input. Buying an AVR doesn't help either of those groups.

So long as your display supports HDMI-ARC, I don't think it will be a major issue for people.
It looks like you can get a USB-powered HDMI-ARC extractor with EDID control for $25 or so:
I'm not endorsing either of those, but they were the cheapest I found which met all that criteria.

HDMI audio has been a scam from the very beginning.
It's only now with HDMI 2.1 that we finally have a full-bandwidth audio return channel: something which should have been in the spec from day one.
But you still need to buy an HDMI 2.1-equipped AVR to use that feature.
They couldn't just let your display pass through the audio as-is, so that it was compatible with any existing AVR, oh no. They have to squeeze that last upgrade out of you before they finally stop audio hardware upgrades being required just to pass through new video formats.
People using it for headphones/headsets can just use the optical out from their TV, which is what they should have been doing in the first place anyway.

As for the last bit, was that not a bandwidth issue? You can't pass a 4K/HDR signal through old HDMI cables either.

because it's just surround systems isn't it? Not like gaming headset manufacturers are selling optical out headsets. And decades old equipment? I bought a brand new headset at Christmas.
So plug the headset into your TV's optical out and stop looking silly on the internet.

Deleted member 64517

Banned
Mar 14, 2020
User banned (3 days): Trolling, Console wars
If this decision is based on the number of people using it then why is he funding a sequel to Halo 5?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
People using it for headphones/headsets can just use the optical out from their TV, which is what they should have been doing in the first place anyway.
[…] So plug the headset into your TV's optical out and stop looking silly on the internet.
Many displays don't have an optical output, and many which do are not a straight passthrough.
As I said previously, my Sony TV is converting everything to 16-bit 48kHz regardless of input format and it sounds degraded compared to a direct connection.
But that's where these ARC converters come in, if you're in that situation.

As for the last bit, was that not a bandwidth issue? You can't pass a 4K/HDR signal through old HDMI cables either.
No, there was nothing to stop them putting a full-bandwidth HDMI audio output on displays from its inception.
Instead what they did was:
  1. HDMI 1.0–1.3: No HDMI output on the displays. If you wanted to use something other than TV speakers, it had to go through your AVR (and these old AVRs often added latency to video).
  2. HDMI 1.4: HDMI-ARC. A low-bandwidth link from the display to the AVR, which requires ARC capabilities on both ends and compressed the audio - so your old HDMI 1.0‒1.3 AVRs needed replacing to use that feature. And you'd still have to pass video devices through the AVR if you wanted lossless audio (also requiring an upgrade for 1.4's new video features).
  3. HDMI 2.0: HDMI-ARC. Yep: you're still stuck with the low-bandwidth return channel - so you have to upgrade the AVR again if you want to continue using lossless audio with the new video formats HDMI 2.0 introduced.
  4. HDMI 2.1: eARC: A full-bandwidth return channel which can now support lossless audio formats! But it requires eARC capabilities on both ends of the connection - so you have to upgrade those old <2.1 AVRs one last time if you want the new HDMI 2.1 video features alongside lossless audio.
Now that eARC is here, in theory buying an eARC-capable AVR means it should never have to be replaced again.
AVR doesn't support 4K120 VRR, or 8K video? Doesn't matter, because all it's doing is playing audio via eARC now. Video devices are connected to the display.

But instead of that mess with ARC/eARC, they could simply have had the display pass through the audio to the AVR over a regular HDCP-encrypted output with a black screen.
HDMI 1.0 could handle 8 uncompressed channels of audio. You'd never have had to upgrade an AVR until Atmos was here; and even then, only if you actually wanted an Atmos speaker setup. An HDMI 1.0 AVR could still be in use today without any issues.
That could also have solved the problem of lip-sync correction prior to HDMI 1.3a, since the display could have delayed the audio itself.

They intentionally designed things in such a way to force people into upgrading their AVR every time they upgraded their display, if they wanted to retain the same audio capabilities as they had before.
I'm honestly surprised that they eventually did update ARC to be a full bandwidth return channel with HDMI 2.1 eARC.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
People need to stop equating TOSLINK with Component video.
If you want uncompressed stereo audio, TOSLINK is generally equivalent, if not superior to HDMI or USB due to its electrical isolation.
There are advantages to HDMI for sound bars though; such as CEC control and automatic lip-sync correction (and Atmos/lossless audio for high-end equipment).
TOSLINK can not do 5.1 uncompressed.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
TOSLINK can not do 5.1 uncompressed.
That's why I said stereo.
If you're using a lower-end sound bar, the main differences are going to be CEC control and lip-sync correction, because they'll be using ARC - which means compressed audio just like optical.
It's only higher-end equipment which will support eARC and lossless formats.

Dec 31, 2017
I don't think optical headsets are the norm when it comes to gaming, everyone on PC is mostly using wireless like the Logitech Artemis headset, and if I'd be buying one for Xbox I'd probably buy something like the Steel Series that support Xbox Wireless standards as well as Bluetooth.
Optical doesn't support any of the new standards like Dolby Atmos, no wonder it is being phased out.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Most newer TV's have it built in and it picks up the signal through HDMI, not saying it sucks for people that don't have that option, but there's really no need for it on the console if your TV has it built in- at least in my case - I use mine for the Sonos Playbar
I suppose the assumption is that anyone who still needs it has an ARC capable TV?
With horribly compressed audio via optical with anything greater than 2 channels?

Optical sucks.

HDMI and ARC has been around forever now.
Honestly y'all have already been on borrowed time for like a decade. Time to buy a modern AVR.

Can someone please explain HDMI/ARC for someone who uses optical for 5.1 surround and/or headphones.

Also what about TVs that add lag or strip down the audio channels when using their optical audo out?

Last edited:

Fusionfrenzy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
I just go optical out from TV to soundbar and HDMI from console to TV, so it isn't a massive deal for me

Always a shame to see connection options removed though

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to point out that while it's true that most TVs have optical out, it sucks because it almost never allows for DD5.1 or DTS, making it worthless compared to a native optical output from the console itself. I tried using my TV's optical out trying to streamline the audio input mess I have, but gave up on it immediately once I realized this.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone please explain HDMI/ARC for someone who use soptical for 5.1 surround and/or headphones.

Also what about TVs that add lag or strip down the audio channels when using their optical audo out?
If you're using optical for 5.1 you're already getting compressed, low bitrate output. Optical has never been able to handle "HD" audio.

ARC means the TV passes the audio to the receiver through HDMI. It means you can have your receiver connected to the TV's HDMI1 port, but your PS5 on HDMI2 would still have surround sound output through the receiver. Previously this was limited to lower bitrate lossy streams (like optical) so audiophiles didn't use it. But now with HDMI 2.1 and eARC you can pass lossless Atmos/DTS:X streams over ARC, so if your TV and AVR are on the latest spec you are essentially covered until the components physically die. This is better for gaming too since now your consoles can be connected directly to the display. AVR's have always added varying levels of input lag and signal processing.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Don't feed the trolls

Deleted member 1062

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to point out that while it's true that most TVs have optical out, it sucks because it almost never allows for DD5.1 or DTS, making it worthless compared to a native optical output from the console itself. I tried using my TV's optical out trying to streamline the audio input mess I have, but gave up on it immediately once I realized this.
vast majority of recent TVs now passthrough DD5.1 to optical

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
If you're using optical for 5.1 you're already getting compressed, low bitrate output. Optical has never been able to handle "HD" audio

Thanks, however I'm not worried about HD audio. I only have 5.1 for mainly the channel separation, and Dolby 5.1 quality has always been sufficient for my setup for which I have an optical switch for routing to the receiver/headphones. Last time I tried the TV optical out with my headphones the audio seemed laggy.

I only have HDMI 2.0 as well.

Sounds like I'm just going to have to deal with a loss in flexibility for my setup as a result of the cost-saving measures. Hopefully an accessory would be available.

I'll miss the IR blaster too.

That may be my issue too.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
From what i understand astro is working with MS to get the headsets working, not really sure what that means. I used the optical on my mix amp to capture audio from game chat so that kinda sucks for my stream.

(Edit headsets not mixamp)

Bing

Last edited:

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It's a shame, just like HDMI in port, but understandable on the grand scheme of things.

Personally I have an Optical Audio port in my C9 TV which is what I plug my Sound Bar into since I don't want to re-cable each time I change inputs. I tried to compare the difference when it was plugged in the TV vs directly in the XB1X with RDR2, but I couldn't tell.

Does anyone know if there's a loss of quality or features from going through the TV instead of the device? It sounds like if my Audio Device could go through the HDMI input (especially if 2.1 eARC) it would be better quality, but when it doesn't does it matter?

Last edited:

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Here's an official pic of the back of the console for anyone wondering :
xbox-series-x-arriere-back-ports.jpg

By the way unrelated to audio but looking at this shot, have they said if we can still use the USB slots to add external storage like with Xbox1? Or is expansion strictly limited to that (proprietary?) expansion slot.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's a shame, just like HDMI in port, but understandable on the grand scheme of things.

Personally I have an Optical Audio port in my C9 TV which is what I plug my sound system into since I don't want to re-cable each time I change inputs. I tried to compare the difference when it was plugged in the TV vs directly in the XB1X with RDR2, but I couldn't tell. Does anyone know if there's a loss of quality or features from going through the TV instead of the device?

Most TVs will only spit out a stereo signalfrom The optical, regardless of what goes in

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Well that fucking sucks. I have an older sound system and I need to use optical audio in order to get surround sound...

Bad move microsoft.

You are only getting highly compressed surround sound. HDMI allows for uncompressed surround sound.

It's like complaining about the composite video port being dropped on the XBO.

You can't call it old when new audio products are released that still use it and high end DACs still need it.

Again headphone users don't connect via HDMI unless you're plugging them straight into a receiver.

If you want anything better than stereo, you're not using optical and high end in the same sentence.

Thanks! I didn't know that this included hardware stuff like usage of optical ports. Very interesting...

Steam has similar options for your PC.

Yeah good call Microsoft, nobody uses DACs through optical for multiplayer gaming on your platform at all. And it's certainly not a feature anyone would expect in THE MOST POWAFUHL CONSOLE IN DA WHIRLD!!!

Bet more people are using optical out than their fucking Kinects which cost more than $2 for you to throw in the box for us to throw in the landfill.

Found the guy with the SD TV that is still salty about the lack of composite video options.

HDMI

Is there a difference of quality with a digital port used on a TV rather than the one present on the console itself or is it really the same? Quality speaking?

If it is a straight passthrough there is no difference.

That is due to the TV manufacturer skimping out.

Realistically if you're gaming in stereo with headphones, you might as well just plug into your controller.

If you are gaming in full surround, you don't want compressed audio, and you should be using HDMI audio.

Optical has been a great standard, but it has been superseded by better tech.

Ideally you have a good receiver and everything feeds into that, with your TV simply being a monitor.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
By the way unrelated to audio but looking at this shot, have they said if we can still use the USB slots to add external storage like with Xbox1? Or is expansion strictly limited to that (proprietary?) expansion slot.

You can use USB, but you can only play BC games from it , as it wont be fast enough for SX games

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
You can use USB, but you can only play BC games from it , as it wont be fast enough for SX games

Thanks, this makes sense, I forget the X storage will be much faster than current conventional speeds. It also appeals to me to have my BC stuff on a separate drive -- I'd probably do that anyway.

AJ_Cyberpunk

Apr 15, 2019
Any other Logitech Z5500 users here? One of my best purchases , cant even tell you how old it is....10 years old? I have a projector set up, no TV, i tried to move to a £1k Sony AV and seperate speakers but much prefered the 5500 so returned them. If the PS5 doesnt have optical i will go down a adapter route.

9rZvaUA.jpg

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
It's not like most TVs don't have optical outs anyhow.

Most optical output on TVs are converting surround signals into stereo output so it can be annoying for anyone using an old 5.1-7.1 setup. My last 3 TVs did exactly that. Fortunately, I've moved on from my old setup but that isn't the case for many.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
OP missed the part where he said essentially, we've talked to all of the accessory manufacturers since before we announced this, so we know that all of your accessories will carry over. Ie: Astro stuff will shift to using USB after firmware updates.

Overall, meh. It'll be fine for most and better in some ways.

Jan 11, 2020
People talking about removal of the optical audio output reminds me of the SCART... I'm more at odds with the removal of coax on all the TVs - some still have optical tho.

I mean there are a multitude of ways to connect your devices, if you are serious about audio there is no way in hell that the Connections on the console itself is a bottleneck.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Any other Logitech Z5500 users here? One of my best purchases , cant even tell you how old it is....10 years old? I have a projector set up, no TV, i tried to move to a £1k Sony AV and seperate speakers but much prefered the 5500 so returned them. If the PS5 doesnt have optical i will go down a adapter route.

9rZvaUA.jpg

I had a set of these.
I had to sell them because my neightbors had enough of my shit.
But while I owned them probably the best audio purchase I even made......till I replaced them with Beyer Dynamic DT770s and DT990s.

If I ever get a small home office with no neighbors Ill probably buy them or the replacement Z906s.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
better audio quality is through hdmi anyway.
my question is; will it support eARC? or is eARC more suited for the receiver and TV unit with hdmi 2.1? so that the tv itself can send uncompressed data to the receiver and have true surround vs virtual/compressed versions.

damn, its been a while since i went on a research with these items in mind...

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Most TVs will only spit out a stereo signal from The optical, regardless of what goes in
Yeah; if you have a sound bar or older 5.1 setup and your TV only outputs stereo via S/PDIF, you'll have to get an HDMI-ARC converter like the ones I listed, or upgrade.
I think many would prefer to spend ~$25 rather than replacing their existing setup, but won't be happy about it.

You are only getting highly compressed surround sound. HDMI allows for uncompressed surround sound.
99% of sound bars are using HDMI-ARC which is roughly equivalent to an optical cable. It's not any less compressed.
HDMI-ARC is better, but mostly from a functionality point of view (CEC and auto lip-sync correction) than a sound quality point of view. That's why many sound bars have still been using TOSLINK.

It's not as clear-cut as you think it is, and people are obviously going to be reluctant to replace perfectly functional hardware if it means spending several hundred dollars, just so they can use HDMI. Most people aren't looking for an excuse to spend more money.

9rZvaUA.jpg
Does your projector support ARC? I've found that many of them don't, or you're using up one of only two inputs it has for it.
Without ARC support, that means getting a passthrough audio extractor, which may cost more since the extractor now has to support the video formats you want to use as well. I had to try quite a few to get an extractor that would pass 1080p120 to my projector.