• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Genuinely asking.

I buy PS systems only to play their exclusives, so in this past generation this headline on the top right has been really helpful for me, when looking for which games to play on PS4. Example:

81Bzm37TIaL._SX342_.jpg

But now, with PS5, we have so far:

81njBIZp9PL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
DIRECT_SACKBOY_PS5_PH_900X900_2X2
81szAXdCKHL._AC_SX385_.jpg

You could vaguely justify this in the case of Miles Morales and Sackboy saying that those games are on PS4 as well (which makes zero sense, because they are exclusive to the PS ecosystem still). But what about Demon´s Souls for example?

Has this line been substituted by the PS studios logo somehow?

Any thoughts?

Oct 27, 2017
It was a messy label so I can understand it.

When you have games like Yakuza 0 having it then later not only on PS it starts getting silly.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Because they might end up on PC and they want to avoid lying to people.

Also, it just looks cleaner without it.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I much prefer the cleaner look tbh
also I don't think microsoft or nintendo bother putting exclusive on the box anymore?

funny thing is the OP reminds me that 99% of my ps4 library is digital. I don't have any of these boxes with only on playstation

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
The PS4->PS5 box art palette swap designer forgot to take into consideration the font color of "Only on Playstation". It's still there, it's just white on white so you can't see it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
See people grasping to PC hopes as hard as ever lol.

Sony goes back and forth with that. They never did anything like it in the PS2 era, and then started doing it in the PS3 era, then kind of stopped in the PS4, then started again. They just aren't super consistent about it.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The tag proved to be inaccurate in several occasions during the PS4 years and losing it it's not a big deal.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They moved their publishing logo to the front and changed it to be a big PS symbol, probably does the job, without running into the no longer PS exclusive problem with 3rd party games.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
  • It's petty, unnecesary and fuels toxic behavior
  • If/when the game eventually comes to PC, the case now suddenly contais a lie
That's pretty much it I would guess

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Hopefully because one day they'll remove the stick up their ass and release their games on pc

The real reason though is probably just that they realized it wasn't needed.

discogs

Oct 28, 2017
London
A proponent of fanboyism.

*EDIT: I think the gendered terminology of 'fanboy' should remain to highlight that the concept itself is stuck in the past lols.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
Hopefully because one day they'll remove the stick up their ass and release their games on pc

It's wishful thinking on my part but I got to see and use a ps5 over the holidays. I'd really like to not have to purchase one.

I don't like the size and the controller gimmicks. But those damn exclusives

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Only For" labels are only really used by scrubs who are getting their asses kicked in the market. Sony was in that position when the PS4 launched, but now that they're the market leader it's unnecessary.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
It's wishful thinking on my part but I got to see and use a ps5 over the holidays. I'd really like to not have to purchase one.

I don't like the size and the controller gimmicks. But those damn exclusives
I own a ps5 and feel the same way, I mean I do like the controller and wish it's features were on every platform for real support but I can't stand the console or ui, thing is my love for PlayStation franchises and studios goes back so long and runs so deep that I need the hardware.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Even when Sony did it some games had it that weren't really only on PS at launch while others that remain until this day on PS4 don't have it.

So I get them just getting rid of it all together.

People can see the PS Studio logo and get the idea.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Many, many reasons. For one, it's ugly, for another it would be even uglier with the new don't, for yet another they have their own studio logo, so why bother? And yet another reason, less and less people are randomly picking games based on box art on store shelves, so yet again, why bother?

Also some might come to PC, who knows on that front though.

No. You could kinda say that for PS Studios games, but there are lots of third party exclusives (Persona 5 for example) that aren't PS Studios games, and thus won't have that logo.

Did Persona 5 even get the "only in PlayStation" label? I don't think it has it.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Console waring and a history of past similar behavior
Feel free to quote the people who are port begging

PC crowd getting their hopes for ports all gassed up as usual:

Because they might end up on PC and they want to avoid lying to people.

Also, it just looks cleaner without it.
They will all be coming to PC that's why

Many, many reasons. For one, it's ugly, for another it would be even uglier with the new don't, for yet another they have their own studio logo, so why bother? And yet another reason, less and less people are randomly picking games based on box art on store shelves, so yet again, why bother?

Also some might come to PC, who knows on that front though.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Because you have the PS Studio logo instead.

Surely that's not gonna be a catch-all that'll mean the same thing though? If they'd launched the PS Studios initiative earlier in the year then Predator Hunting Grounds would have had it on the box, for example, and that game launch day and date on PC too.

PS Studios just means Sony is publishing the game, it doesn't mean it's only on PlayStation.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Coming up with a reasonable response to the question asked by OP based on recents events isn't "port begging". ;)

Port begging is hijacking a random thread about a game and spamming about how it should be ported to X or Y platform. This isn't it.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
Because the case seems like an afterthought. The direction is digital now and that's the priority I think

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Why would anyone want that line in case, as it doesn't improve it or it's content? It's better to have less visibility and marketing for exclusion.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
i can see where you are coming from but for me it is a bit weird to just ignore that sony launched horizon on PC.
Personally I would find it weird if sony didn't have plans to bring most if not all their titles to the PC, specially when they are seeing the money Microsoft is taking from steam. I'd imagine porting from PS4 to PC is relatively cheap, specially with the potential of steam sales.