• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

the_fastbuck

Oct 28, 2017
for me it's the grounded setting without any "gamey" fantasy elements which makes me looking forward to got. i am a fan of kurosawa films and this seems very much inspired by those old samurai films. hope it's not just action every minute but also slower immersive exploring the landscape portions.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread shows me people don't know how hard it is to make a game, let alone three that have great critic consensus and are 80+ rated games in a row. It is astounding.Don't get me wrong this could end up having its problems but the weird slight that there aren't people talented enough is a weird thing. Having seen no gameplay I get more as a fear but pushing it is a slight against a clearly talented development group is odd.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sly Cooper and Infamous = great history? Come on. They're not From Software. There is plenty of reason to be concerned that we've seen so little gameplay.
Ahhh yes From Software they guys that have a long history of making masterpieces like King's Field and Armored Core.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
well infamous was my favourite new ip of the last gen so sucker punch has my trust and this time is not a rushed game for launch like infamous 3 was.

my only doubt is for the combat and the low level of challenge, they are not exactly melee experts and the melee in infamous was some basic clunky stuff.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
It happened with GOW, it happened with Horizon, I'm sure it will happen with this too... There will always be more negativity and skepticism for exclusives before they come out, it's nothing new...

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It happened with GOW, it happened with Horizon, I'm sure it will happen with this too... There will always be more negativity and skepticism for exclusives before they come out, it's nothing new...
this is not exclusive to sony games , most AAA games get similar treatment before they get released

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
I'm getting The Order: 1886 vibes from what has been shown and with the lack of gameplay. I hope I'm wrong.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Aesthetics are awesome but the Infamous series is the picture of mediocre AAA game design.

It's a wait and see for me.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
18fajy426wkx0gif.gif

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
OP, you've chosen the most bizarre game to take this stance with. It's a setting and concept that people have been dying for, we've already seen long gameplay sequences that look incredible, and it's by one of the best developers in the business. If you could ever get hyped for a game, then those are the criteria you'd be looking for, and games that meet them are fairly rare.

Oct 27, 2017
A concern thread huh. When's the last time we got a straight samurai game? That wasn't a fighting game or had supernatural elements?

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Slightly hyped because Sekiro was my GOTY so I want more of that genre. But hype takes a major nose dive when I remember it's an open world game which I really don't like.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Its coming out in 2,5 months and i havent seen any actual or proper gameplay footage and mechanics... isnt that strange for a total new IP to follow it blindy... Yet, everyone around me or on social is hyped about it.

what am i missing?
Actual gameplay footage. Which has been around since the reveal.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Console Warring
Next big AAA title from Sony with purty graphics.

That's it.

It is graphically stunning in a unique (or underused) setting and it is a first party Sony title so will very much more than likely be amazing.
After the likes of Nioh and Sekiro there isn't anything special about the setting in this game honestly.

Sucker Punch has lineage.
A lineage of mediocre combat and half-baked open world and mission design.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I need to see gameplay. World design, graphics, music, all gonna be something special, but I need to see gameplay to be more excited.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Its coming out in 2,5 months and i havent seen any actual or proper gameplay footage and mechanics... isnt that strange for a total new IP to follow it blindy... Yet, everyone around me or on social is hyped about it.

what am i missing?
Wut, they showed full gameplay before

ket

Jul 27, 2018

That's it.

After the likes of Nioh and Sekiro there isn't anything special about the setting in this game honestly.

comments like these make me really wish that an era poster would be given the opportunity to make their own AAA game with a +$50 million budget just to see how they'd do. we've barely seen this game and you already know there's nothing special about it?

Oct 25, 2017
why are people hyped for Elden Ring, we know even less about that one that Tsushima. these games coming from FromSoftware and SuckerPunch matters. these studio have good history of making great games. and sometimes interesting premise/setting/concept is enough to make you pay attention. like Ghostwire Tokyo cg trailer. we know nothing about the gameplay too, but it was a really cool cg trailer.
To be fair, Sucker Punch didn't deliver any Bloodborne-tier game yet. The same can be said about From's pre-Demon's Souls history, but no one gave a shit about Demon's Souls until it came out and got good reviews and word of mouth.

Hell, people didn't give a shit about Déraciné, and that came out after Bloodborne, so it's not only modern From, or even Miyazaki, it needs to be in the same overall game structure for people to get hyped.

I've seen that comparison a few times already and it doesn't make any sense.

And I like Sucker Punch, still didn't play Second Son but enjoyed everything else. Already bought Second Son and intend to play it soon-ish.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Like, even if you just look at the first trailer (a warlord boasting about how he's learned the language and culture of the country he's invading, the better to subjugate them), there's already an interesting character, setting, and conflict going on. And the game is clearly gorgeous.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

That's it.

Fantasy Japan =/= samurai period

What was the last grounded samurai game, that leaned towards a relatively historical setting rather than fantasy/supernatural

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
comments like these make me really wish that an era poster would be given the opportunity to make their own AAA game with a +$50 million budget just to see how they'd do. we've barely seen this game and you already know there's nothing special about it?
I judge by what I'm given.

But I don't need to judge anything to say that in fact there's little unique or underused about the "Feudal Japan" setting in games this day and age.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I mean, what's there to get?

The game is visually gorgeous, has beautiful music and a stellar presentation, as well as being open-world, which many people love, for better or worse.

The setting, while it kinda has been done to death, is at least exciting because it's deprived of supernatural elements and, while they're obviously are taking creative liberties (like the made-up Khan and probably the shinobi stuff, beyond the obvious fictional stories and characters), it's refreshing to not have it be fantastical, which makes it rather unique considering the polish and budget it has. The fantasy of being a Samurai has always been "tainted" with supernatural elements, a small world or a lack of a budget (Way of the Samurai would be an example) so that, by default, excites a lot of people.

And the way they talked about the world being less guided and more of a natural discovery is exciting. While they've done open-world games before, they were nothing like this, merely being playgrounds for you to play in (as a result, they were barebones imo), so I'm cautious, but excited to see if they've gotten that right.

The combat, well, we haven't seen that much, but we didn't really get to see that much of GoW until a few months before release and that turned out fantastic, so I'm not thinking of conspiracies here. I think there's great promise there with the stealth mechanics and the more grounded combat system. It's a bit scary that the latter might be boring, repetitive or too easy, but I'm optimistic about them finding a nice balance. In terms of mobility and tools, SP has always been really good, so there should be some fun to be had there even with the more realistic approach here.

Regarding the story, well, they haven't excelled there imo with the InFAMOUS series, but, while it seems (at least the premise) to be a standard revenge story, it could be very fun, and both the writing and performance seem solid.

It's also a new AAA Sony IP, which in itself is exciting because they're usually quality games. There's also a precedent of their companies making a qualititative jump in recent times (Uncharted 2/TLOU, GoW, Horizon or Spider-Man are examples of that -even though I was a bit let down by the last two-). This might as well be that for SP.

Let's hope it's a good game, because the potential is there.

Last edited:

Dee Bill

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It's Sucker Punch + Samurai with amazing graphics. I can't wait, the game looks so cool !!!

Already pre-ordered, day one !

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The same thing happened with God of War and Days Gone. I don't think this really tells us anything, Sony clearly have a defined marketing plan they use for their springtimes games.

TLOU2 being delayed will have no doubt mucked that up, so it's especially not a suprised as they will only focus on one game at a time.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I have seen enough to be sold on the game. The setting is just *chefs kiss*

We have seen a bit of gameplay, and a wicked trailer. That's enough for me.
Plus unlike the sceptics, I do trust Sony first party games to deliver. They always do imo.

Infamous 1 and 2 were brilliant. Infamous SS less so but I blame that being a launch-window game. This been in the work for years, so I am beyond hyped to be honest.

Anyways didnt SP recently tweet they are going to show more soon? So 🤷‍♂️

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
It's a game made by an experienced studio, funded by a publisher known for high-profile, high-quality productions. It's also a game that tells a story set in an era that isn't often explored in a non-fantasy manner.

Unless Feudal Japan isn't your thing, there are plenty of reasons to be excited.

Also, some posts in this thread could use a bit more ancient Japanese sea salt. Here...

9n8xOmv.jpg

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I wouldn't say they "deliver".

The infamous series wasn't that great dude.

Disagree. As far as gameplay goes, the first two Infamous games are the pinnacle of that genre. And to a lesser extent Second Son. The movement abilities they give you and just the flexibility that is available is top class.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Cool setting. Sony 1st party AAA. Studio with a decent track record.

Think we saw about as much gameplay as we did with GOW 2018 no?
I've seen so many people here say they showed us the gameplay. I have to say, you don't get the point. This is an Open World game, 10 mins is basically nothing when the majority of that was just riding and talking. We need 4-5 mins of them showing us combat mechanics.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I've seen so many people here say they showed us the gameplay. I have to say, you don't get the point. This is an Open World game, 10 mins is basically nothing when the majority of that was just riding and talking. We need 4-5 mins of them showing us combat mechanics.

Why? Why do you "need" to see the mechanics?
Preorder if you're hyped about the game, don't preorder and wait for reviews/gameplay videos if you want to see more before you buy, but you don't "need" the developers to walk you through the game two months ahead of release.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Why single out GOT? A ton of AAA titles get a cg announcement trailer and then nothing forever. Looking squarely at the likes of We Happy Few and Sea of Thieves.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
It feels pretty niche so far, I don't think a single person I know IRL has ever talked about the game or knows it exists. I'm ambivalent, no reason to pre order, will just wait and see if it reviews well and if it looks good on streams I may play it at some point but not in any real rush.

2020 has really been the year of the backlog for most people I know, when I look at my friends list on steam or PS4 they are almost all either playing the usuals (COD, Fortnite) or older games everyone knows is fantastic but people had to pass due to time.

Oct 25, 2017
The same thing happened with God of War and Days Gone. I don't think this really tells us anything, Sony clearly have a defined marketing plan they use for their springtimes games.

TLOU2 being delayed will have no doubt mucked that up, so it's especially not a suprised as they will only focus on one game at a time.
Days gone pretty much showed up at every event possible and showed hours of gameplay each year from announcement to release. I wouldn't put it in the same camp. Gow is accurate tho don't think we got any more actual gameplay until January

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Why? Why do you "need" to see the mechanics?
Preorder if you're hyped about the game, don't preorder and wait for reviews/gameplay videos if you want to see more before you buy, but you don't "need" the developers to walk you through the game two months ahead of release.
Did you read my first comment?

I need to see gameplay. World design, graphics, music, all gonna be something special, but I need to see gameplay to be more excited.