• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Not hyped. Visuals look amazing, but the gameplay showing didn't convince me

They need to show free exploration, villages and talking to NPC and other stuff.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'm actually not as much of a fan of Sucker Punch as most people here seem to be, but I'm excited about being a samurai in general in a story focused action game, I wish it wasn't open world but I'm fine with it as long as it's used well. In general I can call out a good game when I see it and don't need watch trailers for games I know I'll buy so after the reveal I was in already. I'm thinking it's gonna land at an 85 ish meta but I'm not one of those people who believe anything not a 95 is bad I'll play a 6 or 7 even if I'm I'm only slightly interested. It's why I don't read reviews.

Speaking about SP in general though inFamous was always so boring to me but I still beat each one. I never understood the love for it. Their other games were good though.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Gonna be honest? I wanted open world ancient japan game since last gen STARTED. It took 2 gens and nobody fucking did it, and one company, that everyone expected to do it, Ubisoft, kept shafting it... So that's pretty much the entire reason. I am weary of the fact that only gameplay we saw, was so long ago, it probably barely applies to the game in its current state. But I can't help but want this kinda game.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
The game looks fantastic and I want to play it but the lack of gameplay revealed is borderline suspicious.

How large is the open world ? Is it a sandbox like RDR2 or a hub like God of War ?
Are there NPC ? Side-quests ? Mini-games ? Collectibles ? What else is there to do besides combat ?
Can you tackle quests in any way you want like MGSV or is this linear with only one resolution ?
Are the multiple weapons ? Can you pick up enemy gear ? Are there stats ? How do you improve them ?

Those are somewhat simple questions. We just want to see how the game plays. Sucker Punch and Sony revealed th game almost four years ago and we don't have answer to these very simple questions.
Maybe the will reveal everything in a few days but it would have been too late by then. Preorder are up ad people haven't seen anything but severely edited trailers and cutscenes.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, after Infamous Second Son I'm also little sceptic, will wait for reviews.

Second Son was obviously rushed out though. This time they got all the time they needed.

Nevertheless, I want to see more from the game too. I still don't know if this will be an open world similar to something like AC or the Mordor games or different.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I'm afraid we might get something like the Order in the end,they are quite cryptic in analogy with the interest they have created.

I'm in the wait and see crowd,I'll won't buy it Day 1 anyhow

ProtosH

Banned
Jan 28, 2019
Infamous SS was obviously a launch title and i'm pretty sure they had to rush it but in exchange they got the "take all the time you need for the next game see you in 5 years".

Mar 19, 2020
Interested in the concept but I've never really been a fan of sucker punch. Hoping it turns out good though but not really all that hyped at the moment. Need to see more gameplay.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I think we have seen quite a bit, and what has been shown looks fantastic to me. This seems to be channeling a bit of Kurosawa to me, and I can't think of another game that has really done that. Certainly not Sekiro, which seems more Ninja Scroll to me, although more refined than that. I really enjoyed Second Son and First Light, so the dev behind it also gives me confidence.

Visually, this is looking absolutely beautiful as well.

iSnakeTK

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is crazy that they didn't release a game since 2014. Probably some cancelled games in between. Feel like if this fails they will not get another chance.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Has the game even had a playable build anywhere? Or press gameplay previews? I haven't followed too closely so I'm not sure. I don't remember any though and that's kinda crazy as the game was supposed to be out next month

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Fine with what I've seen, lot more excited for this than TLOU2 even.
It's sucker punch, I'm not worried.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
This is the same reason I'm not really excited about it. I love the setting and it looks fantastic, but I can't get excited about a game if I don't know what kind of game it is. Hopefully we'll see some actual gameplay soon so I can jump on the hype train with everyone else.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait for reviews and gameplay streamings mostly because I'm not a fan of Sucker Punch previous games. I'm not that confident.

shenmui

Dec 17, 2017
Gonna be honest? I wanted open world ancient japan game since last gen STARTED. It took 2 gens and nobody fucking did it, and one company, that everyone expected to do it, Ubisoft, kept shafting it... So that's pretty much the entire reason. I am weary of the fact that only gameplay we saw, was so long ago, it probably barely applies to the game in its current state. But I can't help but want this kinda game.
We are on the exact same page here. Of course, we barely know anything about how good the open world is actually designed, but for me it's impossible not to give it a chance.

Oct 27, 2017
This retrospective 'infamous was never critically well received' or 'Sucker Punch don't make good games' etc has the same weird revisionism that Guerilla Games had with the Killzone series (I actually see this is mentioned earlier in the thread as well). The original Killzone and Shadowfall got mediocre reviews but Killzone 2 has a 91 score on average from critics and Killzone 3 has an 84. So when people do the weird 'how did the devs of Guerilla Games make something so good' when talking about Horizon it always baffles me. Yeah the direction change - I get the majority being surprised by, but the fact they were able to develop a great game wasn't a shock. The same applies here - in the Infamous series that people seem to be claiming hasn't reviewed that well all the mainline games in the series have an 80+ score. On a personal basis you may not like the game and that's fine; but that doesn't suddenly mean Sucker Punch is anything but a developer who is established enough at making good games to be excited about what they are doing now. I do think it would be nice to see more gameplay and I am sure we will ahead of release in two months remember - it isn't like it is out next week.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
User warned: driveby
Sony exclusive set in feudal Japan is enough for most basic people.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I found the gameplay in Second Son, particularly the powers and traversal excellent. Certainly more fun mechanically than say AC games or Rockstar open world games. Mission design could have been improved and certainly side quests, but mechanically it was excellent. The gameplay comments on here are in pretty bad faith in my opinion, because we actually don't know how the combat works. And that is something I don't think they have shown too well yet. it is easier to get an idea of how stealth works for instance, with the grappling hook, etc.

Sony exclusive set in feudal Japan is enough for most basic people.

Basic people? That is a pretty insulting take.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not omg day 1 hyped, but i really like the setting and stellar art direction. What i really hope is for decent stealth mechanics and option to complete a lot of missions stealthy. They should focus on that with their next trailer.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
I always go blind as much as I can on games I anticipate, in this case I know it's a safe bet (Sucker Punch is a good studio) so I'm glad there's not so much to see. Hype level over 9000

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know the answers to such questions because there hasn't been a media hands-on. That's usually where you get more in-depth info.
I get it. It's crazy we don't have this info 2 months out. TLOU 2 is even crazier. I feel like I know nothing about that. Conflicting reports on multiplayer. No talk about what's new in the game compared to the first outside of it having a new story. I'm fine with the going in blind approach Sony has adopted...it's just different. Like I knew everything about Spiderman 2 months out.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Open world game in old Japan without super powers just sounds great. The fragments I've seen just add to the hype

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I agree OP, it certainly looks pretty but everything about the marketing for it so far feels like I'm being told to be excited for it without really showing why I should be.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
This doesn't mesh with your above claim. You claimed that if GoT was a 3rd party title it would not be able to muster up any appeal. Somebody asked you for an example. You then went on to mention a 3rd party title in one of the best reviewed/selling series in Assassins Creed? What?

I am saying that AC odyssey as a third party title doesn't have the appeal of a first party exclusive.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The game looks fantastic and I want to play it but the lack of gameplay revealed is borderline suspicious.

There are still two and a half months till release...remember God of War? it was the same, people were concerned about the game, suddenly the marketing ramped up and in the end it turned out great.

there will be shown enough(maybe even too much) till release, this is a big release for Sony.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
- People have been asking for an open world samurai/ninja game for a while (Assassin's Creed & co.)
- Graphics look impressive
- what we've seen looks great
- Devs have a solid rep

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
There are still two and a half months till release...remember God of War? it was the same, people were concerned about the game, suddenly the marketing ramped up and in the end it turned out great.

there will be shown enough(maybe even too much) till release, this is a big release for Sony.

But God of War was just smoke and mirrors!

Seriously no gameplay doesn't mean shit, 2 more months is alot.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I mean we're likely gonna get more gameplay footage even if it's "just" a week before but the game looks stunning and polished and it has a great studio behind it.
It's kind of cool imo to have a bit of mystery before a game comes out though I assume we'll still have reviews a few days before release.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020

God of War wasn't a new IP. There was a certain quantity of expectations about that game.

Here we are basically blindfolded. And I have the feeling that if the gameplay was as great as the presentation they would have showcased it earlier.

My fear is another Order 1886 situation. Stunning graphical showacase but hollow gameplay for a maximum of five hours. Though it would be funny to see the last big Playstation 4 exclusive being as disappointing as its first one.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good studio, good concept, good visuals, a setting people have been asking for, high budget. Pretty clear to me.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its interesting how this thread tone is quite different from Assasins Creed one where people were allowed to vote for next setting and Japan was winning

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Agreed with OP and I think Sucker Punch is being overrated too. Infamous ss and last light are just okay games nothing special.